corner corner Mobile website version (HTML)

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Mobile website version (HTML)

Hi...

I know there have been threads about this for the past 3 years, but many led to off-topic discussions, so I'd like to start another one which is okay hopefully. It's a real pity that nothing changed within 3 years...

Are there ANY plans to create a mobile-friendly site with at least the core features for bookcrossers "in the wild"? 1. Catching, 2. Registering, 3. Releasing, period.

I am NOT requesting a smartphone app. This would need LOTS of development efforts and would only be good for ONE type of phone.

A HTML mobile version, trimmed down to what's really needed, could improve or even BOOST the catch rate, overall usage, and prominence of Bookcrossing -- thus it could even raise the funds as more people just LIKE to use it.

(And once done, we could think about how to improve the "desktop" user interface with what we learned from mobile...)

Just my 5 cents
Oliver

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi...

I know there have been threads about this for the past 3 years, but many led to off-topic discussions, so I'd like to start another one which is okay hopefully. It's a real pity that nothing changed within 3 years...

Are there ANY plans to create a mobile-friendly site with at least the core features for bookcrossers "in the wild"? 1. Catching, 2. Registering, 3. Releasing, period.

I am NOT requesting a smartphone app. This would need LOTS of development efforts and would only be good for ONE type of phone.

A HTML mobile version, trimmed down to what's really needed, could improve or even BOOST the catch rate, overall usage, and prominence of Bookcrossing -- thus it could even raise the funds as more people just LIKE to use it.

(And once done, we could think about how to improve the "desktop" user interface with what we learned from mobile...)

Just my 5 cents
Oliver
Profile Image
Hi,I live in JAPAN.Most Japanese watch internet with a mobile.
I hope BC mobile website will make as soon as possible.
Profile Image
I would love a mobile version of the site, even if the only available options were only register/journal/release (since there could also be a "use regular site" button for people who wanted more). It's a pain to be constantly zooming in if I want to use the site on my phone (which sometimes is my only option).
Profile Image

Agreed. A mobile-friendly HTML version is what we need first and foremost.
Profile Image

Anything new?

In the meantime are there any attempts to make the bookcrossing website responsive? I was on a trip last week and it’s everytime really painful to release a book using a smartphone.

It’s not sooo difficult to make responsive websites. For a site like bookcrossing.com, which makes sense to be used while beeing on the road, it’s essential in my opinion.
Profile Image
There was talks of it at the BC convention in Oxford in April
Profile Image
Who are the programmers and planners that have an idea how to make the site more responsive without or with minimum shutting down the website or changing the database in between? I notice there are a lot of ideas on this and get the feeling it is just hard to plan them and find manpower to work them out. Let's try to put ideas into a workplan. Mobile website versions aren't my speciality. I can try to help summarizing the discussion.

What do we have to work with (build of current website and database)?
Is it possible to work from there?

What is important?
What is dueable?
How to fix ...?
Profile Image
Who are the programmers and planners that have an idea how to make the site more responsive [...] ?

Matt and Ardik. I'm not sure whether help from the membership is feasible, but I will draw their attention to this thread.
Profile Image
but I will draw their attention to this thread.

How often are you planning to throw out this phrase in the future, when we all perfectly know that there won't be any replies or consequences, not dreaming of improvements, unless maybe if something directly affects the BC shop?

The really sad thing with this request for an IMHO essential feature is that such a version of the BC site already existed many years ago. The implementation was really easy - basically it was using the main site but without all the decorations around the content which only take up a lot of space and bandwidth but, after having seen it a few times, won't be looked at anyway. Calling the changes improvements and modernization the so called "plaintext" site was first rendered dysfunctional in some aspects (but at that time still remained much better for mobile browsers than the main site), then closed down entirely, cutting off BC from the future and potential future users.

Yes, I am bitter. That's what you get from being an active member after a few years.
Profile Image
How often are you planning to throw out this phrase in the future, when we all perfectly know that there won't be any replies or consequences, not dreaming of improvements, unless maybe if something directly affects the BC shop?

Dear ekorren, it doesn't happen often... but in this case, you are wrong. And you will see this before the end of the year.
But I won't say any more than that, because in this, you are right: empty promises don't help. So this is not a promise, but rather a prediction, based on what I know, not on what I assume.

And don't forget, I'm an active member too :-)
Profile Image
Who are the programmers and planners that have an idea how to make the site more responsive without or with minimum shutting down the website or changing the database in between? I notice there are a lot of ideas on this and get the feeling it is just hard to plan them and find manpower to work them out.

I feel open development is the key here. I hope my response will again turn the attention to a web-API.
Profile Image

Problem solving

Website doesn't work very good with mobile phones

Three strategies:
- Improving current website
improve the "desktop" user interface with what we learned from mobile... (-Cubitus)

- Making a mobile website using the main site.
A HTML mobile version, trimmed down to what's really needed (to improve or even BOOST the catch rate, overall usage, and prominence of Bookcrossing -- thus it could even raise the funds as more people just LIKE to use it) (-Cubitus)
As was done before (- Ekorren)
Choosing this it should be a long term strategy (- Ekorren)
This should be a website that uses very few space and bandwidth. (- Ekorren)
- Making apps for the different mobile OS (will not be discussed here).

Current developers / programmers / planners

Matt and Ardik are the current developers
It is not sure whether help from the membership is feasible (-Moem)
Let's try anyway...

Three ways of helping development:

- Extension of the current developing group
Is this welcome Matt and Ardik? Are there volunteers anyway?

- Open development through a web-API (- iiwi)
Is this feasible Matt and Ardik?
Who expects to help in developing if this path is chosen? iiwi?

- Suggesting small or big improvements and fixes on this forum, to help and inspire the programmers. (- Di_K)
Profile Image
Open development through a web-API (- iiwi)
Is this feasible Matt and Ardik?
Who expects to help in developing if this path is chosen? iiwi?

No, I'm certainly not experienced enough to do this.
Profile Image
I just got my first smartphone and of course I tried to use bookcrossing.com on this phone.

I started checking out the lay out (I am aware some of these remarks could move to the Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting, but I'm working on this now sorry):
I just noticed the big differences in lay out, logged in and logged out.

Logged in: I think it will help to enlarge the entry field on top of the page, and to bring it closer to the top, twice as large and twice as wide, starting on the left of the page.
The go button can be twice as high too.
Logged out: See logged in above: these will be even more important in my opinion, place (most of the ) explanation text below the entry field, not above.
Dutch version shows strange text sizes and lay out. May be something to look into.

Logged in: It should be possible to remove the field on the right side. And find another solution for commercials.
(Dutch version: this field shows some seemingly uncomplete fields below: latest news and above: "geen reclame meer")

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.