corner corner Creating a subforum in Esperanto / Kreo de esperantlingva subforumo

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Creating a subforum in Esperanto / Kreo de esperantlingva subforumo

We are a group of Esperantospeakers and would like to create an subforum in Esperanto. To realise this the support requested a strong user demand. Therefore we are looking for other interested Esperantospeaker. Please answer here or contact Lutecia. Thank you.

Ni estas grupo de Esperantoparolantoj, kiuj sxatus krei esperantlingvan subforumon. Por realigi tiun, la posedantoj de tiu forumo postulas subtenon de suficxa uzantaro. Tial ni sercxas Esperantoparolantoj, kiuj interesigxas pri tio. Bonvolu respondu cxitie aux kontaktu Lutecia. Dankon.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
We are a group of Esperantospeakers and would like to create an subforum in Esperanto. To realise this the support requested a strong user demand. Therefore we are looking for other interested Esperantospeaker. Please answer here or contact Lutecia. Thank you.

Ni estas grupo de Esperantoparolantoj, kiuj sxatus krei esperantlingvan subforumon. Por realigi tiun, la posedantoj de tiu forumo postulas subtenon de suficxa uzantaro. Tial ni sercxas Esperantoparolantoj, kiuj interesigxas pri tio. Bonvolu respondu cxitie aux kontaktu Lutecia. Dankon.
Profile Image
Interest in books, travelling, multilinguism, dedication to a good cause - these are qualities for which many Esperanto speakers are reknown. A forum in Esperanto would be great help to (further) spread the knowledge about Bookcrossing.

Intereso pri libroj, vojaĝado, multlingveco, dediĉo al bona ideo - tio estas kvalitoj por kiuj multaj Esperanto-parolantoj estas konataj. Forumo en Esperanto estus granda helpo por (plie) disvastigi la scion pri Bookcrossing.
Profile Image
I agree ^^
(please note that I met Lutecia during an esperanto meeting and then became a book-crossing member)

Mi konkordas ^^
(Bonvolu scii ke mi renkontis Lutecia ĉe esperanta renkontiĝo kaj poste iĝis ano de Book-crossing/ Libro-kruciĝo)
Profile Image
You would also have to be prepared to do the translating involved.
Profile Image
We had this task for different other web sites. Sometimes it was a success, sometimes not. Is there any translation tool or a list of words used in the menues? This would be a good start.

Ni havis tiun taskon por diversaj aliaj TTT-ejoj. Kelkfoje estis sukceso, kelkfoje ne. Ĉu ekzistas iu tradukilo aŭ listo do vortoj uzitaj en la menuoj? Tio estus bona komenciĝo.
Profile Image
You would also have to be prepared to do the translating involved.

Translating the site into Esperanto is a different matter than having a subforum in Esperanto. We've had a Dutch subforum for years, but the different languages (including Dutch) available to view the site in are a recent thing. It's not a given that the two go hand in hand.

But yes, translating the site in Esperanto is definitely an option too. The translations are all done by volunteers, using an online translation tool that gives you all the strings (pieces of text) to be translated. I'd advise a group of at least three volunteers for such a task, and it would be best if they were fairly experienced BookCrossers, as there is a lot of jargon involved.
Profile Image
If translating the whole web site is not obligatory, then I plead to create just an Esperanto subforum first. The possibility to contact other Esperanto speakers directly is much more important than a complete translation. Every Esperanto speaker know at least one other language. Often it's more than one.

Se tradukado de la tuta TTT-ejo ne estas deviga, tiam mi pledas por tio, krei nur Esperanto-subforumon unue. La eblo, kontakti aliajn Esperanto-parolantojn rekte, estas multe pli grava ol kompleta traduko. Ĉiu Esperanto-parolanto konas almenaŭ unu alian lingvon. Kutime estas pli ol unu.
Profile Image
Laux mi estus bona ideo se ekzistus ankaux Esperantlingva forumo. Foje mi liberigis librojn, sed cxiam mi havis problemojn varbi por ili, cxar mi ne trovis interesitojn facile. Do, mi tenas miajn fingrojn krucitaj, ke oni enauxguras ankaux E-lingvan forumon.

Elkore
Profile Image
Hello Lutecia :)

A distinguishing feature between what language forums already exist here on bookcrossing, and an Esperanto forum (if it were to be created) is the fact that the existing languages here on bookcrossing are tied to a culture, or, in some cases, several, or many, cultures.

Esperanto has no culture as such; Esperanto speakers are tied by culture to their country of origin.

One of the fascinating things about bookcrossing is the cultural exchange that occurs on the forums. A great majority of other than English-as-a-first-language members speak, read and write in English.

As do you, beautifully :)

A (very) liberal estimate of Esperanto speakers would be something in the order of 2 million people Worldwide.

There is no Mandarin forum. There are about 850 million Mandarin speakers Worldwide.

Profile Image
A distinguishing feature between what language forums already exist here on bookcrossing, and an Esperanto forum (if it were to be created)

It's also true that the other language forums were created so that native speakers of those languages could more fully participate in the site. Obviously, Esperanto is no one's first language, so the lack of such a forum does not limit anyone's use of BookCrossing in the way that not having, say, a German forum might do.

(Please note that I do NOT mean to suggest that there shouldn't be an Esperanto forum, but simply to note that the factors which led to the creation of the other forums don't apply to this request.)
Profile Image
Laux mi estus bona ideo se ekzistus ankaux Esperantlingva forumo. Foje mi liberigis librojn, sed cxiam mi havis problemojn varbi por ili, cxar mi ne trovis interesitojn facile. Do, mi tenas miajn fingrojn krucitaj, ke oni enauxguras ankaux E-lingvan forumon.

Elkore

Hello bija007 :)

Keep your fingers crossed by all means! Everything helps! :)

Good luck :)
Profile Image
Ok, where to start?

1. I am a native speaker of Esperanto.
2. A short article about the different periods of Esperanto literature may be found at an Esperanto language blog (written in English): http://www.transparent.com/---/five-periods-of-esperanto-literature/ (Normally I prefer to present Esperanto music - a topic I know much better and which ist something consumable without knowing the language - but here at Bookcrossing it seemed more useful to mention books.)

But let's get back to the original topic. I think the real question was what possible use cases exist for a forum in Esperanto.

Some things that happened to me:
1. Only by chance I found out that another Bookcrosser (here: Lutecia) would attend the same Esperanto congress like me. There was a possibility to present different hobbies and causes - and she brought a Bookcrossing box with her! Although everything went fine, I think we could have done more if we had known before we both were Bookcrossing members.
2. I heard about quite a few other Esperanto speakers here but it was extremely difficult for me to find them. Without someone telling me their nicknames, I'd even say nearly impossible.
3. For future meetings, it will be very practical to ask in advance who will be there. This way, people from different parts of the world can come together and exchange their books. Also, this is an excellent opportunity to further promote Bookcrossing among Esperanto speakers.

(Mi ĉesos la Esperanto-tradukojn ĉi tie; mi antaŭvidas penan laboron jam sen tio!)
Profile Image
Ok, where to start?

2. A short article about the different periods of Esperanto literature may be found at an Esperanto language blog (written in English): http://www.transparent.com/---/five-periods-of-esperanto-literature/ (Normally I prefer to present Esperanto music - a topic I know much better and which ist something consumable without knowing the language - but here at Bookcrossing it seemed more useful to mention books.)

But let's get back to the original topic. I think the real question was what possible use cases exist for a forum in Esperanto.

Some things that happened to me:
1. Only by chance I found out that another Bookcrosser (here: Lutecia) would attend the same Esperanto congress like me. There was a possibility to present different hobbies and causes - and she brought a Bookcrossing box with her! Although everything went fine, I think we could have done more if we had known before we both were Bookcrossing members.
2. I heard about quite a few other Esperanto speakers here but it was extremely difficult for me to find them. Without someone telling me their nicknames, I'd even say nearly impossible.
3. For future meetings, it will be very practical to ask in advance who will be there. This way, people from different parts of the world can come together and exchange their books. Also, this is an excellent opportunity to further promote Bookcrossing among Esperanto speakers.

(Mi ĉesos la Esperanto-tradukojn ĉi tie; mi antaŭvidas penan laboron jam sen tio!)

Hello Kunar :)

You posted

<2. I heard about quite a few other Esperanto speakers here but it was extremely difficult for me to find them. Without someone telling me their nicknames, I'd even say nearly impossible.>

Not so Kunar; in fact, it would be very easy :)

Simply go to this thread

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5

And this thread

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/33

and all the different language forums here (you could post in Esperanto in the different language forums; all the Esperanto speakers in the different language forums would immediately recognise your post).

And post in English (or Esperanto in the different language forums) something like...

"Any Esperanto speakers here? Are you an Esperanto speaker? Do you know of any bookcrossers who are Esperanto speakers? If so, please send me a PM so we can make contact", or words to that effect :)

Good luck, and I hope you get many, many replies :):):):):)

Edit to add: Hello again Kunar :)

You also posted

<1. I am a native speaker of Esperanto.>

But this is only because your *parents* made it so; Esperanto may be your first language, but it isn't the language of your culture. Your schooling didn't occur in
Esperanto, the signs on the street you live in aren't in Esperanto, the bus tickets you use aren't printed in Esperanto, the menus in your wonderful restaurants aren't printed in Esperanto...

Your aim is laudable; who knows what wonderful benefits may accrue if Esperanto were to become the common language of the World?

There simply aren't enough Esperanto speaking bookcrossers Worldwide to warrant its inclusion as a language forum here in bookcrossing.

Sad, but true.

Profile Image

Not so Kunar; in fact, it would be very easy :)

Simply go to this thread

And this thread

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/33

and all the different language forums here (you could post in Esperanto in the different language forums; all the Esperanto speakers in the different language forums would immediately recognise your post).

That seems quite cumbersome. Several identical postings in different forums which have to be repeated from time to time. And this would only be for my own research! Other newbies would have to that by themselves. I have enough experiences with forums in order to know that is not the best solution.

But this is only because your *parents* made it so; Esperanto may be your first language, but it isn't the language of your culture.

That's quite a blow. I grew up with Esperanto, spoke with so many people, sang songs as a child, read books, listened to music as a young man, had my own Esperanto band, made speeches, translated scientific articles, was the co-editor of a humorous journal... but no, all that's not enough in order to call it "my culture". Well, we will disagree eternally on this, and it's obvious why.

Your aim is laudable; who knows what wonderful benefits may accrue if Esperanto were to become the common language of the World?

That's not my aim. My aim is to just use the language... and if there's a way to create another possibility, I see what I can do about it.
Profile Image

Really? That's the first language you learned? From birth?
Profile Image

Well, that's not impossible. A long time ago, my aunt met a Scotsman at an Esperanto conference. They fell in love and got married. She spoke no English he spoke no Croatian. Had my aunt not learned English, my cousins could have learned their first words in Esperanto, too. :)

I'm just wondering, what it takes, resources-wise, to create and run a subforum? We can't attach images or do anything at all excessive in the forums, so the data amount can't be that horrible, can it?

Also, the number of members isn't at all a guarantee that a certain language forum won't be dead. Italian BC community, for example, is pretty strong (from what I've seen on Go Hunting pages) but the Italian forum is often quite deserted.

I love the idea of an Esperanto forum (even though I haven't yet learnt it myself) because, as somebody mentioned, the speakers of Esperanto often come from more "exotic" languages/cultures and speak no German, English, Italian, Spanish, etc... It is a wonderful community which spans different languages and cultures bringing people together.
Profile Image
Italian BC community, for example, is pretty strong (from what I've seen on Go Hunting pages) but the Italian forum is often quite deserted.

Which reminds me, does anyone know where the links to the mirror sites have disappeared to?

I wanted to verify my impression that the Italian community generally uses the forums on the Italian site, but I can't find the link to it.

Profile Image
Which reminds me, does anyone know where the links to the mirror sites have disappeared to?

I wanted to verify my impression that the Italian community generally uses the forums on the Italian site, but I can't find the link to it.

http://www.bookcrossing-italy.com/
Profile Image
Thanks, czukie! But are the links anywhere on the BC site? I know they used to be.
Profile Image
Thanks, czukie! But are the links anywhere on the BC site? I know they used to be.

Not at the moment, but I copied them all down before the change, so I have them all. I hear they're supposed to come back, but maybe with the ability to switch languages, it's less a priority.
Profile Image
I am a native speaker of Esperanto.

Yes, that's one of two languages I grew up with. People are always surprised that persons like me exist.
Profile Image
I'm tired of responding every time I inform about Esperanto the same questions. Therefore thank you kunar that you have taken this job.

For all those, who want to read responses to frequently asked question related to esperanto & culture / native speakers and other themes I recommend to read in wikipedia, which has an esperanto section with about 120.000 articles and to this page: http://www.esperanto.net

Estas laciga cxiam respondi al la samaj demandoj. Thank you kunar for responding. Mi rekomendas vikipedion kaj la retpagxon http://www.esperanto.net por lerni pli pri esperanto.
Profile Image
I'm tired of responding every time I inform about Esperanto the same questions. Therefore thank you kunar that you have taken this job.

For all those, who want to read responses to frequently asked question related to esperanto & culture / native speakers and other themes I recommend to read in wikipedia, which has an esperanto section with about 120.000 articles and to this page: http://www.esperanto.net

Estas laciga cxiam respondi al la samaj demandoj. Thank you kunar for responding. Mi rekomendas vikipedion kaj la retpagxon http://www.esperanto.net por lerni pli pri esperanto.

Hello again Lutecia :)

You wrote

<I'm tired of responding every time I inform about Esperanto the same questions.>

You should be pleased that people actually asked you questions Lutecia, this shows that they are interested in what you are saying. Not much is known about Esperanto in the big wide World.

Perhaps you are not the right person to do this important job (spreading the word about Esperanto). Perhaps such a job should be left to someone "with fire in the belly" about the subject.

Someone prepared to answer <the same questions> over and over again.

Profile Image
You should be pleased that people actually asked you questions Lutecia, this shows that they are interested in what you are saying. Not much is known about Esperanto in the big wide World.

For me, it's not the questions that are tiring. It's assumptions like "Esperanto has no culture" or "Esperanto has no native speakers". After all, you never know whether the persons who write things like these are open-minded and ready to learn something new or whether they will defend their (non-)knowledge even when confronted with information which hints that they are wrong.

Perhaps you are not the right person to do this important job (spreading the word about Esperanto). Perhaps such a job should be left to someone "with fire in the belly" about the subject.

"They who carry fire in their belly are likely to start a flame war." I'm quite happy with what Lutecia does. Over-engaged people tend to scare away others.
Profile Image
Fakte mi ankau sxats havi espernatlingvajn forumojn. Lau mi gxi estus ege helpema por intersxangxi librojn dum internaciaj renkontigxoj.
Mi ankau jam ofte renkontis homojn, kiuj tre sxatis la ideon de Bookcrossing, sed kiuj ne sxatis aligxi pro manko de la anglascio.
Profile Image
Fakte mi ankau sxats havi espernatlingvajn forumojn. Lau mi gxi estus ege helpema por intersxangxi librojn dum internaciaj renkontigxoj.
Mi ankau jam ofte renkontis homojn, kiuj tre sxatis la ideon de Bookcrossing, sed kiuj ne sxatis aligxi pro manko de la anglascio.

Hello Pitak :)

It isn't a lack of interest Pitak, it is simply a lack of resources; I feel sure that most bookcrossers would love to have a Esperanto forum (and a Chinese forum, and an Indonesian forum, and an Arabic forum and many others), if only for the diversity and interest they would create.

But there are so few of you! You need a lot of patience and determination to get a new forum up and running. And many, many more Esperanto speaking members.

How can you get more Esperanto speaking members?

They are out there on the Esperanto-speaking forums that already exist... go to those forums and spread the word about bookcrossing, and with luck (keep your fingers crossed like bija007), you will be able to bring a lot of new members here, and *make a lot of noise* (politely though) asking again for an Esperanto forum :)

Profile Image
But there are so few of you! You need a lot of patience and determination to get a new forum up and running. And many, many more Esperanto speaking members.

I'm afraid that I agree. If there are only ten or so people using a subforum, it will be very 'dead'.
Profile Image

Hello Pitak :)

It isn't a lack of interest Pitak, it is simply a lack of resources; I feel sure that most bookcrossers would love to have a Esperanto forum (and a Chinese forum, and an Indonesian forum, and an Arabic forum and many others), if only for the diversity and interest they would create.

How can you get more Esperanto speaking members?

They are out there on the Esperanto-speaking forums that already exist... go to those forums and spread the word about bookcrossing, and with luck (keep your fingers crossed like bija007), you will be able to bring a lot of new members here, and *make a lot of noise* (politely though) asking again for an Esperanto forum :)

Hi misterteapot,

(btw, are u also in postcrossing involved? I guess that I saw ur name there...)
I understand, what u mean. The problem is, that some E-o speakers aren't fluent in English or any of the other languages used here. So they come here, see that they don't understand anything and leave.
If we can't catch those people, we will keep having too few E-o speakers here.
I personally know some that got here, registered and lost their interest... :(
Maybe it would be different, when they had an E-o forum, where they could communicate easier.
But I know, that BC has not enough stuff to take care of it.
Profile Image
Hello again Pitak :)

Off topic...

(btw, are u also in postcrossing involved? I guess that I saw ur name there...),/blockquote>

Yes! I learnt about postcrossing from here on bookcrossing! :D:D:D:D:D

I have been a member there for about 6 months, but not as "misterteapot" because that name was already taken :(

Profile Image

Let's imagine what would happen if dozens of Esperanto speakers arrived here, pleaded for a forum in Esperanto, but did nothing else? That would be of no use for Bookcrossing itself.

I prefer a different approach. Lutecia made a presentation about Bookcrossing. I still have the intention to translate it to Esperanto or to make one myself. It's better to spread the word about Bookcrossing and then see who really uses it. That also means that at first, we will need a lot of improvised solutions (e.g. providing registration help for those who do not speak one of the supported languages).
Profile Image
Saluton Kunar,

la prezentado mi jam tradukis por mia prezentado dum FESTO. Mi sendos gxin al vi retposxte.

Por JES certe, eble ankaux por OR estos prezento mia planita. Al JES kunveturos mia librokesto.

Kore, Julia.
Profile Image

BC Labels

Mi ne scias, cxu vi jam scias, kie oni povas trovi E-on gluajxon por la librojn. Mi uzis kelkajn de tiu pagxo:
http://www.atelierdefengshui.com/---/bookplates.htm
Do, tiu ne rilatas la nia temo, sed tamen estas utila por E-o parolantoj.
Profile Image
Cxi tie estas pluraj etikedoj diverslingvaj: http://www.bookcrossers.de/---/flyer
Profile Image
I really would appreciate an Esperanto-subforum. It would make Esperanto-related bookcrossing easier. I don't want to write in every subforum when I want to find other Esperanto-speakers or want to find/offer bookrings or RABCKs in Esperanto. Additionally Esperanto-topics get easily lost in other forums.

I don't know how much work it would be to create such a subforum, but I think if bookcrossing wants to be an international site every new language that gets requested should get accepted with appreciation. Sad enough that a mandarin-subforum (and many other languages) doesn't seem to have been requested until now.

It certainly won't be the most active subforum, but maybe also not the most inactive.

I'm sure it would help if I could give interested Esperanto-speakers the link to an existing Esperanto-subforum when they ask me about my hobbies.
Profile Image
Hello Sunjo :)

You wrote

I don't want to write in every subforum when I want to find other Esperanto-speakers or want to find/offer bookrings or RABCKs in Esperanto. Additionally Esperanto-topics get easily lost in other forums.

See my post below, about how you could get an Esperanto boookcrossing forum up and running TODAY! It may not be on bookcrossing, but it will be ABOUT bookcrossing, and all the queries and questions and everything else about bookcrossing can be explained in Esperanto starting as soon as you start the group.

How badly do you want an Esperanto sub-forum here on bookcrossing?

That is the question you all have to ask yourselves. If you want the forum badly enough, you will do a lot more about it than posting here asking for one. You don't have enough Esperanto speaking bookcrossing members to warrant a forum at this moment in time, but you could improve that dramatically by actively seeking out more Esperanto speaking members.

Forming an Esperanto bookcrossing group on yahoo.com would be a great start :)

Profile Image
mi ne parolas bonan esperanton, sed volas subforon!

I do not speak Esperanto well, but I'd like to have an esperanto subforum to learn!
Profile Image
There is a way to get a Esperanto-speaking bookcrossing forum up and running right now; it won't be here on the bookcrossing forum, but it will be a start!

You could always form a yahoo.com Esperanto bookcrossing group... here is a link to existing Esperanto groups on yahoo.com

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/search?...

This would be a wonderful start! In such a group you could explain all about bookcrossing in Esperanto. And by adding such a group you might "catch" other Esperanto speakers from the groups listed in the link above :)

Once the Esperanto bookcrossing group was established you could post about it in the "Community Noticeboard" forum here on bookcrossing, and invite bookcrossers to come and join the group, to learn *about* Esperanto and to learn the language itself :)

When you have many more Esperanto speaking bookcrossers, you can come and ask for an Esperanto forum again :):):):):)

Profile Image
There is always the *possibility* that the Italian bookcrossers wouldn't mind *sharing* their forum with Esperanto speakers.

Not *replace*, but *share*. Perhaps the Administration wouldn't mind such an arrangement, *provided* the Italian bookcrossers agreed :):):):):)

Italians are a gregarious, sharing people; perhaps they would welcome some *neighbours* in their forum?

Perhaps one of you (Esperanto speakers) could send a message to the Administration and ask if it would be possible to arrange a *vote* among the Italian bookcrossers to see if they would mind sharing their forum?

I don't think it would be fair to *replace* the Italian Forum with an Esperanto Forum; but *sharing* a forum might be a wonderful thing :):):):):)

Do you see what I am trying to do here Esperanto speakers? I am trying as hard as I can to *help* you help yourselves. I have given you two options to try and get some sort of an Esperanto forum up and running; either as a *stand-alone* group on yahoo.com or as a *shared* forum here on bookcrossing.com

Now it is your turn to help yourselves.
Profile Image
There is always the *possibility* that the Italian bookcrossers wouldn't mind *sharing* their forum with Esperanto speakers.

Why foist it on the Italians? Frankly, considering the fact that all of the people on this thread requesting an Esperanto forum who have a location listed in their profiles are from Germany, perhaps they should ask to share the German forum!
Profile Image

Why foist it on the Italians? Frankly, considering the fact that all of the people on this thread requesting an Esperanto forum who have a location listed in their profiles are from Germany, perhaps they should ask to share the German forum!

Hello mojosmum :)

Foist it on the Italians? Hardly. Please re-read my post, particularly the part where I mention "*provided* the Italian bookcrossers agreed".

And why deny the Italian bookcrossers the opportunity to say *No*?

The Italian forum is little used; as I mentioned, Italians are gregarious, sharing people.

Why not give them the opportunity to prove this? Or not. It should be their choice if the Administration even entertains the idea.

No foisting onto anybody. Simply another idea to try and open up the forum to the Esperanto speakers.

Profile Image
@misterteapot: unfortunately your links don't work for me. I'll try it again when I'm back home at my own PC in a few days

@mojosmom: an easy explanation why until now mainly German Esperantospeakers replied could be that probably not everyone regularly reads the feature requests (I do it just when someone posts a link on the German subforum) and until now (according to Lutecia's most recent posts) this request was just announced on the German subforum

@Lutecia or anyone else: I'd suggest to post the link and explanation to this request on all other language-subforums (in Esperanto) and at least on one fitting english subforum
Profile Image
I continued my search campagne. I have posted in some threads and forums and send PMs. Let's see what's going on.

Do mi varbis per personaj retposxtoj kaj en la nederlanda forumo kaj kelkaj malnovaj fadenoj, kiu temis pri Esperanto dum la pasintaj jaroj. Ni vidu, kio okazas.
Profile Image
Do you see what I am trying to do here Esperanto speakers? I am trying as hard as I can to *help* you help yourselves.

What I see is someone who reads too many self help books - "trying to help you help yourselves". I'm with bookczuk on this one, people who want as Esperanto forum speak up now so numbers can be gauged.
Profile Image
I'd really be interested in hearing from the BookCrossers who desire a Forum in Esperanto, and giving them the opportunity to respond. That's what's happened in other cases when speakers of a language not yet represented in the forums have petitioned for one. It helps the PTB get a handle on what the need is.

Expressing other opinions is fine, but the request is for other speakers of Esperanto to indicate if they would like a forum. All sorts of opinions as to why not, and even some alternative suggestions have been expressed, too, but wouldn't it be a kindness to the original poster to honor the original query? In the past, the PTB have kept an eye on such threads, and the number of unique replies in favor, to help determine creating a new forum.
Profile Image
... in this situation, is that since not all of the Esperanto speakers speak any of the "major" languages represented on BC, many might not ever visit the forums here and see the call for them to say "Yes, we want an Esperanto subforum". And since there is no inherent way in the BC system to identify speakers of any language, especially not of Esperanto which has no country associated with it, there is no other way except the forums via which to invite them.

If Esperanto speakers have an Esperanto forum on the internet, it might be a good idea to start a topic there and see how many are on BC, and then invite them there to come here, to this topic and voice their opinion.
Profile Image
... in this situation, is that since not all of the Esperanto speakers speak any of the "major" languages represented on BC, many might not ever visit the forums here and see the call for them to say "Yes, we want an Esperanto subforum".

Maybe it would be a good idea if someone wrote a Newsletter article in Esperanto, with a short explanation in English, to reach more people than just those who read the forums?
Profile Image

Good idea!

... in this situation, is that since not all of the Esperanto speakers speak any of the "major" languages represented on BC, many might not ever visit the forums here and see the call for them to say "Yes, we want an Esperanto subforum".

Maybe it would be a good idea if someone wrote a Newsletter article in Esperanto, with a short explanation in English, to reach more people than just those who read the forums?

This would be a good approach, as well, I think. The current newsletter editor has requested that "All articles written in languages other than English must be accompanied and submitted together with the English translation", so there'd need to be an English version, but when done, it could be submitted here:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/articles
Profile Image
If Esperanto speakers have an Esperanto forum on the internet, it might be a good idea to start a topic there and see how many are on BC, and then invite them there to come here, to this topic and voice their opinion.

I already thought about the lernu.net forums. Lernu.net more than 100.000 registered users (which is much just for an Esperanto learning site). While I am not very present there - as a native speaker, no wonder - it could be a good solution for the first step.
Profile Image
... Interessante Sache das. Vielleicht schon etwas altbacken die Sprache, aber altbacken bin ich ja schon selber, also passt es wieder. Ich bin gespannt, mehr von Euch zu hören und unterstütze auch Euer Anliegen.
Profile Image
Hallo fuenf,

nun altbacken würde ich die Sprache nicht nennen und zum Lernen gibt es verschiedene Möglichkeiten. Zu finden sind sie unter anderem für den deutschsprachigen Raum auf http://www.esperanto.de oder das schon erwähnte Lernforum http://www.lernu.net. Weitere Infos auf Anfrage.
Profile Image
Jesja, kompreneble.

Esperanto - bona ideo - ankaŭ en Librokrucigujo.

Profile Image

bona ideo !

What a good idea ! I love send my esperanto book by rings.

Bona ideo ! Mi ŝatus pruntedoni miajn librojn kadre de ringoj.

Plej elkore,

Axel
Profile Image
I know nothing about esperanto but I strongly support your idea.
No est Esperantoparolanto pero konkordo completly wiz esta initiativax.
;-)
Profile Image
Good idea - but I don't know Esperanto.
Profile Image
I would like to have a forum in esperanto.
Profile Image

Re:

It's a very good idea !
I read esperanto but I have any book on this language, that could be interessant to have an espranto forum
+1
Profile Image
I cannot understand Esperanto, but I thought your idea is splendid.I think many bookcrosser can interchange in subforum in Esperanto.
Profile Image
Two volunteers have come forward, and more are very welcome, especially if they are experienced BookCrossers. If you, too, would like to volunteer then please let me know.

We prefer to do the translation first, and after that, a subforum would definitely make more sense. Our experience is that subforums do not draw as many speaker in as one would expect, and subforums that are mostly empty and underused look rather sad.
But adding the language as a first step is likely to draw in new speakers, and it just looks welcoming, not sad.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.