corner corner BookCrossing for Android?

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BookCrossing for Android?

I was wondering...has there been any talk or are there any developers out there willing to create a bookcrossing application for Android devices? That would be so great! Especially for releasing and registering books or accessing forums on the go...I would LOVE to see something like that in the works!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was wondering...has there been any talk or are there any developers out there willing to create a bookcrossing application for Android devices? That would be so great! Especially for releasing and registering books or accessing forums on the go...I would LOVE to see something like that in the works!
Profile Image

great idea

I don't yet have one of these devices but I am soon going to get one and I can see it would be great to have a BC app on there.
Profile Image

Ditto

I think mobile apps would do wonders for BookCrossing. Another Android fan here.
Profile Image

RE: Ditto

I think mobile apps would do wonders for BookCrossing.

I do too! Apps (android, iPhone etc.) will make BC available to so many people and so easy that the ones tempted before but thought it was complicated now will start BC.
Profile Image

RE: Ditto

Absolutely it would be the natural thing for bookcrossing. None of my books have been active here after they disappeared from their locations and that's probably because people just wont remember to do it "later" since they can't do it straight away :/
Profile Image
...But can anyone please explain to me if/how/why a specific app (I'm assuming that means application, or a small piece of software) would be better than a separate version of the site that's light on graphics, does not rely on javascript and is suitable for small screens?
Profile Image
I don't know either - it seems to me a plaintext version such as used to exist would be more universally useful (and therefore maybe should be a higher priority?)
Profile Image
...But can anyone please explain to me if/how/why a specific app (I'm assuming that means application, or a small piece of software) would be better than a separate version of the site that's light on graphics, does not rely on javascript and is suitable for small screens?

I think an app built specifically to be used that way is simply more elegant from a user standpoint. Certainly it's less universal, but for those with phones that it would work on, it's always head and shoulders above loading/re-loading, scrolling, expanding, etc. through the browser. The sites I use regularly that have apps, I use when I'm mobile. If I have to go to the actual site on my phone (which my phone can do), I have to really want to pull something up to do it on my phone. It's just ... a pain in the neck.

Of course, this is the kind of conversation that could use one of my favorite Twitter hashtags: #firstworldproblems :)
Profile Image
I think an app built specifically to be used that way is simply more elegant from a user standpoint. Certainly it's less universal, but for those with phones that it would work on, it's always head and shoulders above loading/re-loading, scrolling, expanding, etc. through the browser.

Sometimes, answers that make sense come to those who wait :-))
Thanks!
Profile Image
Yeah! And perhaps with those QR-codes on the booklabels it might make it even easier and also associate the use of mobile. Just brainstorming. Maybe qr-codes cost?
Profile Image
It wouldn't need to be developed by BC as there are no doubt a few independent developers who could and maybe would take it on. I wouldn't mind paying a few quid for it, either. Better to pay a few quid and have it reasonably quickly than wait a year for BC to get around to it, and they wait some more.
Profile Image
To explain a bit to Moem: I try to use the ordinary "register a book" feature on the website as my Droid loads it, and it does not actually even show up. When you click on the "home" menu, ordinarily that would be where you'd find that option, right? But you can't do it on the Droid, thus it seems to me that an app would be helpful. I don't know anything about programming, so you could be right and a light-graphics option might be the answer-- I just would like to be able to register & release a book on the go. It'd be the coolest thing.
Profile Image
I try to use the ordinary "register a book" feature on the website as my Droid loads it, and it does not actually even show up.

What happens if you type in the URL yourself? If that works, I'm assuming you could bookmark it.
Profile Image

What happens if you type in the URL yourself? If that works, I'm assuming you could bookmark it.

Hmm! I'll have to try that! Thanks!
Profile Image

HTC Desire

I have successfully registered and journalled a book and browsed and responded on the forums using my nice new HTC Desire.

I was unfortunately unable to complete a wild release on it a couple of weekends ago at the Theakston's Crime Writing Festival. I got as far as trying to select the release zone from the drop down box; it wouldn't keep my selection but kept reverting to the one at the top of the list. I don't know if this was just because of my clumsy use of a phone I had just acquired or because there really is an issue here. I'll try again and report back.
Profile Image
I got as far as selecting the release zone but it wouldn't keep my selection. I'll try again when I get the Froyo upgrade - maybe that will cure whatever's stopping it at present.
Profile Image
I installed the Froyo update a couple of weeks ago and was subsequently able to do a full wild release on my phone. I'm a happy bunny :)
Profile Image
You just have to allow a minute or so if you add a new town or zone for this to register on the BC website before it appears in the drop down list. I've been releasing in Northumberland this past week and have been able to do the releases in some pretty remote areas.

Browsing the forums and replying on the fly is a doddle, too.
Profile Image

want app too

The first thing I did when I got my new phone (android) was to search for a bookcrossing app and I was very disapointed not to find one. I play Gowalla too and guess a BC app could have some of the same functions like track your location to create a release spot, search for existing spots, maybe resent released books in the wild near your location can show on a map? An app would make it so much easier to hunt and release books when you're out in the wild yourself.
Profile Image
I agree a mobile version of the site and/or an app would be great. I'm on my way home from a road trip where I've released 37 books...all on my iPhone. The full site is slooooow to load on a phone, and it often locks up. A mobile version of the site would do wonders. Of course, if anyone is adept at creating apps, I'd certainly use a BX iPhone app!
Profile Image
I'd certainly use a BX iPhone app!

It was in the works before the site re-write and I'm sure it will be finished, once the bugs are worked out of the site itself.
Profile Image
yay! That's great news. :)
Profile Image
A couple of us on Support got to sit in on a meeting via Skype with Matt and Bruce. We asked specifically about plaintext and iPhone or smartphone app development.

This is still in the works, more specifically a lightweight/ image free version of the site that can work on smartphones in general as well as be useful for those who want a plaintext version. The basic structure (API) is built though still needs work.

A portion of the next round of incoming revenue will go to this so work can proceed.
Profile Image
Given all of the other pressures on the tech team at present, would it not be worth considering if a third party developer would be interested in developing the apps? After all, it's no longer just about iPhone - in the time this has been in abeyance Android has come out of nothing. At the rate we're going, iPhone might be obsolete before there's an app for it.

Admittedly, with a third party developed app, even those of us with wings would have to put up with small ads at the bottom of the screen, but members may find that acceptable in the circumstances.

Personally speaking, I don't need an app as I find the ordinary site works fine on my phone. I just have to be allow a bit more time for the release process if I'm in an area where the signal is weak.
Profile Image
Given all of the other pressures on the tech team at present, would it not be worth considering if a third party developer would be interested in developing the apps?

They have one. (And had a different one before this, that crashed and burned.)
Profile Image
My husband and I are both iPhone fans and have been waiting patiently for a Bookcrossing app (though we'd be just as happy with a mobile version of the site) so that we can Bookcross books more easily on our road trips--imagine not having to wait till we get to the motel/hotel that night to access the Bookcrossing site! As it is, of course, the site isn't especially mobile-friendly, and I often forget which books I've released along the way (and manage to lose any type of list I've tried to keep) by the time we stop for the night and get the laptop out & started.
Profile Image
Easy solution for that -- I take a picture of the bookplate and then a picture of where I released the book with my iphone. I can mail it to myself if I forgot my cord for downloading and/or I can mail the release picture to flickr or facebook. Works like a charm.

Not only is it a memory cue, but makes a great release picture when I get to a computer!
Profile Image

Agreed!

I'd love an Android app as well, but a mobile site will suffice! I get so excited to release books, and want the immediate gratification of updating updating my books!
Profile Image
Can't wait for a bookcrossing app, just ordered my new smart phone, and getting excited about the releasing opportunities this will present......
Profile Image
Apps would be nice, of course, but it's about time we at least got a plaintext version back.
Profile Image
I have used BC on my phone, but there are a few kinks. esterday, I was trying to add a new release zone, and it wouldn't let me. I was only able to release to locations already entered in BC.

If we had a BC app, I'd love for it to allow for iPhone photo uploads. Right now I can't do that directly from my phone. It's nice to be able to release a book, snap a picture, and immediately have all of that show up on the site.
Profile Image
If we had a BC app, I'd love for it to allow for iPhone photo uploads. Right now I can't do that directly from my phone. It's nice to be able to release a book, snap a picture, and immediately have all of that show up on the site.

Seconded. :)
Profile Image
Why not have a mobile version of the site? Strip it down of everything unnecessary, optimize it for small screens and it would work on Android, WP7, Symbian, iOS, blackberry, etc - all at once, without the need to maintain 10 different apps
Profile Image

me too!

i would definitely be able to get good use out of an android app! i dont release as many books when im out of town because i have to write them all down, and the ID #'s and when and where and then go home and put them into bookcrossing :( sometimes i forget! lol pleaseeeeeeeee make an app :D
Profile Image
Would LOVE to see an Android app - or even a mobile site that would work. I really love to do my releases spontaneously, on the go, and I don't want to wait until I get home to log the release.
Profile Image
Add me to the list of peeps who would love an Android app. I can journal using my Desire (works better with the internet app that comes with it, Opera seems to have problems adding a zone), but a dedicated app would be great!
Profile Image
Me too, I'm looking for an android app. Why don't you start an opensource project on github or something like that? I'm sure developers would embrace it
Profile Image
Me too, I'm looking for an android app. Why don't you start an opensource project on github or something like that? I'm sure developers would embrace it

It's been said in other threads that it's already in progress/under contract, but development is on hold until the site moves out of beta.
Profile Image
Yeah! Android app! *cheers on*
Profile Image
That would be great!
Profile Image
*bump* - any news on this? This sounds really like a great idea...
Profile Image
Android is what I need. Could have used it today, many times.
Profile Image
Couldn't wait any longer to see which way the mobile BC ap was heading. Bought myself an Android yesterday.
Profile Image
Is a perfect idea! It would be easier to find books and we could share their location faster.
Profile Image
It would be great for releasing on the go!
Profile Image
Any news on this feature?
Profile Image
I have to say I am interested too!
Profile Image
I've just obtained an Android one and really want a bookcrossing App! :)
Profile Image

bump

any news on Iphone or Android app?
Profile Image
I had a 7" Google Android Nexus (till I fell on it) and even on that I couldn't do much on BookCrossing. The drop down menu didn't work very reliably without a keyboard.

I was so disappointed, as that was one of the reasons I bought it for.
Profile Image
I've managed to add release notes on my Galaxy Nexus a couple of times, but it's a royal pain. The site is highly mobile-unfriendly.

Even my first post on the forum was a rant asking for suggestions for a bookcrossing alternative that was aware of the existence of mobile phones ;)

An app where you scan the ISBN barcode with your phone's camera, confirm the book from your bookshelf (or register it there and then with the recognised ISBN), and where the release location is wherever your GPS says you are with an optional note panel. That would make a world of difference to me.
Profile Image
I'd love an app for Android too, for all the times I have a book with me ready and need to register / make release note on the go....please??!!! :)

Miki
Profile Image
Im working on an android app:
Currently it is able to show your Bookshelf and release a book in
the wild (automatically includes gps coordinates)
Profile Image
automatically includes gps coordinates

GPS co-ordinates! How cool. I hadn't thought of that. I could include that with my future releases.
Profile Image
Im working on an android app

Are you working with faljse on this? See http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/491940
Profile Image
I also would love an android app for wild releasing as the web version on my phone takes way too long to load and some bits do not load properly. When you're out and about and want to wild release it would be so useful to be able to do it quickly. I'd hate to wait until I got home to make release notes only to find that it had already been journalled as then it doesn't show up properly on your stats. I read in forum that this had happened to someone recently.
Profile Image
An app would be really cool to locate books around you or easy barcode scanning to add a new book.
Profile Image

I have been begging for this for months! For any who read this response..the answer is yes, you can take the Bookcrossing site and bookmark it on your device whether Iphone or Android phone. The problem is that the site is so small, that making any type of entry is a lesson in futility. So please...please...please...developers, if you are reading this, An App would be greatly appreciated. I think you will find that developing one for Android would be easier than for iOS.

Profile Image
Hi, I'm an iOS developer and I'm ready to build iPhone app for bookcrossing. I wrote already to bookcrossing team through contact form, hope they will respond after holidays.
Profile Image
It would be nice to have a bc thing for iPads as well

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.