corner corner iPhone app

Forum | << Feature Requests | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

iPhone app

What about a bookcrossing application for iPhone easy for release with a quick access to the bookshelf ?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What about a bookcrossing application for iPhone easy for release with a quick access to the bookshelf ?
Profile Image
Only when it will be ready, that's another question...
Profile Image
I had just logged in to ask the same question. Hopefully we won't be waiting too long.
Profile Image
Nice news, thank you
Profile Image
...how an app, whatever that is (I'm assuming it's a small bit of software) would be better than a specific section of the website that's suitable for mobile devices?
I personally would think that's the better option, because it would be useable on (presumably) anything that can run a browser. So, users of both new and shiny mobile devices and old, crummy hardware would benefit.
Profile Image
First and foremost probably will be the reason to be present in the hugest app(lication) store which exists. Although it could be already taken too long...
Second, the iPhone seems to be a huge market (for now) and BookCrossing should be a part of it. With an app the hardware/software could be used at optimum (e.g. Making a release picture which then directly would be uploaded)

Of course, a mobile optimized website (section) could be a better solution (but this should had done a long time ago and never happened...), at least to support the mass on mobile devices, but then again, you have the trouble with none of them being the same (no standards). Which makes it quite difficult to get the core functionality at all devices...
(e.g. Safari on the iPhone has some curiositie with the normal website: it can't remember the timezone; no possibility to upload a picture directly from the iPhone)

Specific solutions depends always on the market - and at the moment the market of the iPhone is growing extremly fast...
Just my thoughts
greets from Scotland,
Wyando
Profile Image

iphone app

would it enablbe majority access to site as the facebook app only allows limited access to profile, info and notifications.
Profile Image

Any news ?

Profile Image
When there's news, it'll be up in the Announcements forum or in the News section. And maybe here, if someone remembers to cross post. :)
Profile Image

iPhone App

How long does it take??
Profile Image
> How long does it take??

Well, considering they're building a new site, do you want the app for the old site that will cease to exist or the new site that is still under construction?

As to how long does it take, I haven't a clue, but I'm able to BookCross on my iphone without an app as it is, and do so regularly.
Profile Image
> I'm able to BookCross on my iphone without
> an app as it is, and do so regularly.

Me too. I usually register my books from my home computer, but I'm able to use to register with my iphone while I'm out and about if I need to, generating a number or using pre-numbered labels that I usually have with me. Same thing with release notes, it's a little easier from home, but I can use the iphone to do them if need be.

And I read the forums on the iphone all the time, of course.
Profile Image
I just spent a while poking around the site attempting to dredge up a thread from a couple of months ago where the 'why is there no App/when will there be an App' question was answered with a very snottily rude un/'official' response which was basically 'none of your business, go away and shut up'.

I guess that by the time an App is released, the moment will have passed. Shame for Bookcrossing.
Profile Image
Happily, I'm able to use the site to register and release even without an app, so I'm okay with being patient.
Profile Image
I'm glad you're okay with being patient but I'm also glad there is a space for those of us who aren't to express our eagerness/impatience to have the site modernised.
Profile Image
I'm glad you're okay with being patient but I'm also glad there is a space for those of us who aren't to express our eagerness/impatience to have the site modernised.

My guess is that until they get the bugs ironed out of the basic site, no one will even look at any apps for any phone being done.

Probably hard to build an app for an ever changing site. (And in retrospect, probably one of the reasons the previous app building went on hiatus was that the entire site was going to change.) Dunno for sure; just an educated guess.

Profile Image
I personally don't have an Iphone, and am concerened that an app would only be available for one type of phone. I agree, Moem, that a section to use on any mobile phone would almost be better - I know many people with a phone that is internet capable, but without any "app" software - my brother is a big fan of HTC, I'm a blackberry user, and others use Samsungs. I only know three people with an Iphone.

The website is totally not usable on my browser on my blackberry - I log in, but it won't remember that I'm logged in - impossible to release any books while out. And since the changeover, I can't even use the Platintext Gateway that another user had set up. Not good!

In other words, I think a section of the site (releasing and journalling specifically) would be better than an app - unless the app is going to be available for every kind of phone at the same time.
Profile Image
If the app can be linked to google maps, then the precise locations of releases in your current area can be displayed, so you'd know what was released near where you were. That would be most excellent.
Profile Image
A couple of us on Support got to sit in on a meeting via Skype with Matt and Bruce. We asked specifically about plaintext and iPhone or smartphone app development.

This is still in the works, more specifically a lightweight/ image free version of the site that can work on smartphones in general as well as be useful for those who want a plaintext version. The basic structure (API) is built though still needs work.

A portion of the next round of incoming revenue will go to this so work can proceed.
Profile Image
Thanks so much for this update!!!
Profile Image
Brilliant news. Thanks
Profile Image
I would love to use a mobile version of iPhone app when it is avialable. And with a bit of luck the mobile (tekst only version) works also good for people with disabilies.....
Profile Image
It would be amazing if they could make an app (or mobile enabled site) that could use your current location (as someone else mentioned above) and tell you about drops near you. So no matter where I was, I could quickly click on something that would "check releases within XXkm of my location" and pick up some books while I was out :-)
Profile Image
Like the title says, really. :-)

The whole website would be epic, but to just have the ability to see if a book is already in your permanent collection would be really helpful. I have to make list after list of reference books I'm looking for/have it would be great to have it all in one place....

As I wait for my iphone to update to try out that app where you can use the camera to scan the bar codes...
Profile Image
to just have the ability to see if a book is already in your permanent collection would be really helpful.

Can you bookmark this link on your phone?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/Fredam?...
Profile Image
to just have the ability to see if a book is already in your permanent collection would be really helpful.

Can you bookmark this link on your phone?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/Fredam?...

I think I love you. Thank you! :-D

I will have a look around and see how you did that/where it is rather than wasting your time asking you how you did it. But it is perfect and precisely what I wanted. xxx Thanks again.

Profile Image
I will have a look around and see how you did that/where it is rather than wasting your time asking you how you did it.

I'll just give you a quick little hint: it has something to do with the 'print your bookshelf'-feature.
Profile Image
I'll just give you a quick little hint: it has something to do with the 'print your bookshelf'-feature.

Thank you, Moem! I have not used this feature yet, and didn't realize it was just what I was looking for. As I posted in the new iPhone app forum thread, I always have trouble accessing my wishlist when I'm out and about and an opportunity presents itself to buy books. To know which ones I'm in search of by bookmarking my wishlist to my phone works just fine.

Edited to add: I just scrolled to the bottom of my wishlist to find there are 477 books on it. Oh, dear.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.