corner corner Staxman's song chain #38--please read the rules

Forum | << Fun and Games | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Staxman's song chain #38--please read the rules

This thread should be viewed in "Flat--newest at top" view.

I don't want to be the song chain Nazi and call people out on every miscue, but it's good to follow the rules!

In this song chain, the connecting word changes with each entry. The following is OK in some song chains, but not this one:

I'm a Man - Bo Diddley
What Kind of Man Are You - Ray Charles
A Man and a Half - Wilson Pickett

. . . because 3 songs in a row have the same word, "man," in common.

What is OK is something like this:

Sugar Dumpling - Sam Cooke
Need A Little SUGAR In My Bowl - Bessie Smith
Take the Skinheads BOWLING - Camper Van Beethoven

In this case, the next song could have any word except "monkey" in the title. I STRONGLY SUGGEST CAPITALIZING THE CONNECTING WORD AS ABOVE. IF THE LAST PERSON CAPITALIZED CORRECTLY, THEN THE WORD IN ALL CAPS IS THE ONE YOU _CAN'T_ USE IN YOUR ENTRY. If you see two consecutive entries with the same word capitalized, then someone's made a mistake. Titles that consist of one word, or the same word multiple times, are acceptable, but after that, the connecting word must change, like so:

You're Gonna Make Me Cry - O.V. Wright
CRY - Johnny Ray
The Sky is CRYING - Elmore James

OR:

You're Gonna Make Me Cry
CRY, Cry, Cry - Bobby Bland
The Sky is CRYING

As you'll see by "Cry" -> "Crying" above, we're pretty laid back about using connections between different inflected forms of the same word. In this case, "Cried" would also be acceptable. This goes for irregular words (think <-> thought, man <-> men) also.

It's also acceptable to carry over part of a word;

If I Needed Someone - Beatles
SOMEthing - Beatles

With articles ("a," "an," "the") you get to have it both ways. You can make an article the carryover word. But if the carryover word isn't an article, you don't have to carry over the article, even if it's present in both song titles.

If a song title shares more than one word with the previous one, all the common words (other than articles) should be carryover words, like so:

I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James
I'D RATHER Be BLIND, Crippled, and Crazy - O.V. Wright
Up on CRIPPLE Creek - The Band

We've gotten examples like this over time:

I'd RATHER Be Blind, Crippled, and Crazy - O.V. Wright
BLINDED By the Light - Bruce Springsteen

. . . which wasn't really correct. Perhaps the following examples will make it a little clearer:

Let It Whip - Dazz Band
WHIP IT - Devo

In this case, all the words in the newest entry are carryover words. You can use "whip," "it," or both, in the next entry. On the other hand, this plays out differently:

Whip It - Devo
Let IT WHIP - Dazz Band

In this case, "let" is the only word that wasn't in the previous entry, so it's the only word you can use in the next one. Sequence matters!

If you break up a compound word and use all elements in the next entry, then all elements should be capitalized. For example, you could follow a title containing "everything" with:

EVERY Little THING She Does Is Magic - The Police

Choose your song titles carefully so we don't get painted into a corner! Now have at it! :)

Complete Thread

1 2 3 Next 

Profile Image
This thread should be viewed in "Flat--newest at top" view.

I don't want to be the song chain Nazi and call people out on every miscue, but it's good to follow the rules!

In this song chain, the connecting word changes with each entry. The following is OK in some song chains, but not this one:

I'm a Man - Bo Diddley
What Kind of Man Are You - Ray Charles
A Man and a Half - Wilson Pickett

. . . because 3 songs in a row have the same word, "man," in common.

What is OK is something like this:

Sugar Dumpling - Sam Cooke
Need A Little SUGAR In My Bowl - Bessie Smith
Take the Skinheads BOWLING - Camper Van Beethoven

In this case, the next song could have any word except "monkey" in the title. I STRONGLY SUGGEST CAPITALIZING THE CONNECTING WORD AS ABOVE. IF THE LAST PERSON CAPITALIZED CORRECTLY, THEN THE WORD IN ALL CAPS IS THE ONE YOU _CAN'T_ USE IN YOUR ENTRY. If you see two consecutive entries with the same word capitalized, then someone's made a mistake. Titles that consist of one word, or the same word multiple times, are acceptable, but after that, the connecting word must change, like so:

You're Gonna Make Me Cry - O.V. Wright
CRY - Johnny Ray
The Sky is CRYING - Elmore James

OR:

You're Gonna Make Me Cry
CRY, Cry, Cry - Bobby Bland
The Sky is CRYING

As you'll see by "Cry" -> "Crying" above, we're pretty laid back about using connections between different inflected forms of the same word. In this case, "Cried" would also be acceptable. This goes for irregular words (think <-> thought, man <-> men) also.

It's also acceptable to carry over part of a word;

If I Needed Someone - Beatles
SOMEthing - Beatles

With articles ("a," "an," "the") you get to have it both ways. You can make an article the carryover word. But if the carryover word isn't an article, you don't have to carry over the article, even if it's present in both song titles.

If a song title shares more than one word with the previous one, all the common words (other than articles) should be carryover words, like so:

I'D RATHER Be BLIND, Crippled, and Crazy - O.V. Wright
Up on CRIPPLE Creek - The Band

We've gotten examples like this over time:

I'd RATHER Be Blind, Crippled, and Crazy - O.V. Wright
BLINDED By the Light - Bruce Springsteen

. . . which wasn't really correct. Perhaps the following examples will make it a little clearer:

Let It Whip - Dazz Band
WHIP IT - Devo

In this case, all the words in the newest entry are carryover words. You can use "whip," "it," or both, in the next entry. On the other hand, this plays out differently:

Whip It - Devo
Let IT WHIP - Dazz Band

In this case, "let" is the only word that wasn't in the previous entry, so it's the only word you can use in the next one. Sequence matters!

If you break up a compound word and use all elements in the next entry, then all elements should be capitalized. For example, you could follow a title containing "everything" with:

EVERY Little THING She Does Is Magic - The Police

Choose your song titles carefully so we don't get painted into a corner! Now have at it! :)
Profile Image
Posted by Jackie700.
Profile Image
https://youtu.be/OCeXsWINQ-Y

Never got to see them live, but they were more or less local to me (northeastern Pennsylvania) at the time they did this. "Ognir" was Ringo spelled backwards. I also saw a copy of this on Warner Bros., which presumably licensed it from the original indie record company. I still have my copy of this.
Profile Image
I can be quick off the mark too! :)
Profile Image
Profile Image
Not the Cole Porter song...
Profile Image
Later to be known as Badfinger.

https://youtu.be/5cuAs4O119s
Profile Image
Following on from "Please Mr. Postman."
Profile Image
https://youtu.be/W2nRjGHE620

If "botheration" isn't a word, it should be!
Profile Image
If you've never heard it, listen...you'll be glad you did.

https://youtu.be/4LGavEmg6Xs
Profile Image
Surprisingly good :-)

1 2 3 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.