corner corner Fun with Quotations No. 22

Forum | << Fun and Games | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Fun with Quotations No. 22

Instructions:

This is where we have fun with quotations.

It works this way: I post a quotation and the next person posts a quotation which contains a word in common with the preceeding quotation.

To make it easy to spot the link, please capitalise the linking word.

Let's see where we can take this thread. :)

Have fun, everyone!

The last quote (by JoolsW) in thread No. 21:

TODAY
What you know today can affect what you do tomorrow. But what you know today cannot affect what you did yesterday.

Condoleezza Rice

Complete Thread

1 2 3 Next 

Profile Image

Instructions:

This is where we have fun with quotations.

It works this way: I post a quotation and the next person posts a quotation which contains a word in common with the preceeding quotation.

To make it easy to spot the link, please capitalise the linking word.

Let's see where we can take this thread. :)

Have fun, everyone!

The last quote (by JoolsW) in thread No. 21:

TODAY
What you know today can affect what you do tomorrow. But what you know today cannot affect what you did yesterday.

Condoleezza Rice
Profile Image

WHAT

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only WHAT is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

- Steve Jobs

Profile Image

REASON

'A person usually has two reasons for doing something: a good REASON and the real REASON'

Thos Carlyle

@creativeMGE... many thanks for starting this new thread :)
Profile Image

GOOD

“…because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”

John Green
Profile Image

STUFF

We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.

Ray Bradbury
Profile Image

OUT

'You have to grow from the inside out. No-one can teach you, no-one can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul'

Swami Vivekananda
Profile Image

INSIDE

The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance but live right in it, under its roof.

Barbara Kingsolver
Profile Image

LIVE

People who live well are experts at giving. They give their money; they give their time. They share their wisdom and their skills. They quickly say yes when asked to help. For them, the formula is simple: to give is to love and to love is to live. It's a formula for a successful life.

Steve Goodier
Profile Image

EXPERT

'Observe, record, tabulate, communicate. Use your five senses. Learn to see, learn to hear, learn to feel, learn to smell, and know that by practice alone you can become expert'

William Osler

Profile Image

BECOME

A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.

Ingrid Bergman
Profile Image

WORDS

“I know nothing in the world that has as much power as a word. Sometimes I write one, and I look at it, until it begins to shine.”

― Emily Dickinson
Profile Image

NOTHING

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Vincent Van Gogh

Profile Image

STARS

“A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really..."Do the stars gaze back?" Now, that's a question.”

― Neil Gaiman
Profile Image

GAZE

I have long thought that anyone who does not regularly - or ever - gaze up and see the wonder and glory of a dark night sky filled with countless stars loses a sense of their fundamental connectedness to the universe.

Brian Greene
Profile Image
“The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. And that's the theory. Nine hundred years, never seen one yet, but this would do me.”

― 11th Doctor C/O Steven Moffat
Profile Image

HAPPEN

I wanted a perfect ending. Now, I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.

Gilda Radner
Profile Image

LIFE

“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

(Coincidentally the book I'm reading at the moment!)
Profile Image

CHANGE

We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.

Howard Zinn
Profile Image

SMALL

“Maybe happiness didn't have to be about the big, sweeping circumstances, about having everything in your life in place. Maybe it was about stringing together a bunch of small pleasures. Wearing slippers and watching the Miss Universe contest. Eating a brownie with vanilla ice cream. Getting to level seven in Dragon Master and knowing there were twenty more levels to go.

Maybe happiness was just a matter of the little upticks- the traffic signal that said "Walk" the second you go there- and downticks- the itch tag at the back of your collar- that happened to every person in the course of the day. Maybe everybody had the same allotted measure of happiness within each day.

Maybe it didn't matter if you were a world-famous heartthrob or a painful geek. Maybe it didn't matter if your friend was possibly dying.

Maybe you just got through it. Maybe that was all you could ask for.”

― Ann Brashares, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
Profile Image

MATTER

I'm convinced of this: good done anywhere is good done everywhere. For a change, start by speaking to people rather than walking by them like they're stones that don't matter. As long as you're breathing, it's never too late to do some good.

Maya Angelou
Profile Image
“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody — no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds... Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You
Profile Image
Oh, monsters are scared," said Lettie. "That's why they're monsters. And as for grown-ups...' She stopped talking, rubbed her freckled nose with a finger. Then, 'I'm going to tell you something important. Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.”

― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Profile Image
so i am going to tell you today about something that my friends and i call 'the fraud police'. the fraud police are this imaginary, terrifying force of experts and real grown-ups who don't exist and who come knocking on your door at 3am when you least expect it, saying "fraud police. we've been watching you and we have evidence that you have no idea what you are doing. and you stand accused of the crime of completely making shit up as you go along. you do not actually deserve your job and we're taking everything away. and we're telling everybody." and people working in the arts, especially, have to combat the inner fraud police on a daily basis. and even if you are a very happy, healthy, confident person, the fear of the fraud police is ever lurking. and it really doesn't matter who you are. i have friends who are teachers and writers and psychologists and scientists and pretty much every profession under the sun. and everybody, every so-called adult i know, has had this feeling about their job and themselves at some level. and i don't mean to put all of the non-graduates and grown-ups on the spot, but graduates please look around at the adults. and adults please raise your hand if you've ever had the feeling that the fraud police are going to come and expose you for not actually being able to do your job. the other ones are lying.

- Amanda Palmer
Profile Image

MAKING

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something.

Neil Gaiman
Profile Image

YEAR

Be kind to yourself in the year ahead.

Remember to forgive yourself, and to forgive others. It's too easy to be outraged these days, so much harder to change things, to reach out, to understand.

Try to make your time matter: minutes and hours and days and weeks can blow away like dead leaves, with nothing to show but time you spent not quite ever doing things, or time you spent waiting to begin.

Meet new people and talk to them. Make new things and show them to people who might enjoy them.

Hug too much. Smile too much. And, when you can, love.

- Neil Gaiman (I'm not a huge fan, really I'm not :p)
Profile Image
But nothing's ever lost forever
It's just caught inside the cushions of your couch
And when you find it
You'll have such a nice surprise
Nothing's ever lost forever
It's just hiding in the recess of your mind
And when you need it
It will come to you at night

- Amanda Palmer (Lost)
Profile Image

MIND

“Stories you read when you're the right age never quite leave you. You may forget who wrote them or what the story was called. Sometimes you'll forget precisely what happened, but if a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit.”
― Neil Gaiman, M Is for Magic
Profile Image

Stay

The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing... not healing, not curing... that is a friend who cares.

Henri Nouwen

Profile Image

Silent

Be slow to speak, and only after having first listened quietly, so that you may understand the meaning, leanings, and wishes of those who do speak. Thus you will better know when to speak and when to be silent.
~Saint Ignatius

Profile Image

FIRST

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.

Carl Sagan
Profile Image

apple

You can't compare an apple to an orange. It will cause a lot of self-esteem issues.
~Craig Sheffer

Profile Image
If the world were an orange, it would be, like, too small

Nigel Planer (I think), from "Neil's Book of the Dead"
Profile Image

SMALL

'Do the difficult things while they are easy and do the great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step'

Lao Tzu
Profile Image

DIFFICULT

It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.

John Steinbeck

Profile Image

SLEEP

'There is something magical in the mere sight of a sleeper; the sheer passivity, the immobility, the innocence, the helplessness, even of the strong, even of the wicked, come home to us, without comment, directly; the sleeper is made one with nature. And sleep has another direct effect on the imagination to which Shakespeare, like other poets, was keenly alive...'

J F Pyre
Profile Image

IMAGINATION

Those who make us believe that anything’s possible and fire our imagination over the long haul, are often the ones who have survived the bleakest of circumstances. The men and women who have every reason to despair, but don’t, may have the most to teach us, not only about how to hold true to our beliefs, but about how such a life can bring about seemingly impossible social change.

Paul Rogat Loeb
Profile Image

FIRE

'The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.'

Ferdinand Foch
Profile Image

POWERFUL

If we're destroying our trees and destroying our environment and hurting animals and hurting one another and all that stuff, there's got to be a very powerful energy to fight that. I think we need more love in the world. We need more kindness, more compassion, more joy, more laughter. I definitely want to contribute to that.

Ellen DeGeneres

Profile Image

ENERGY

'Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble'

Yehuda Berg

Profile Image

AVAILABLE

We can't plan life. All we can do is be available for it.

Lauryn Hill

Profile Image

PLAN

'If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.'

Jim Rohn

Profile Image

GUESS

If you are insecure, guess what? The rest of the world is too. Do not overestimate the competition and underestimate yourself. You are better than you think.

T. Harv Eker
Profile Image

REST

'A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done to them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour... such is my idea of happiness.'

Tolstoy
Profile Image

NATURE

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Profile Image

PACE

'To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day...'

Shakespeare
Profile Image

DAY

Each day holds a surprise. But only if we expect it can we see, hear, or feel it when it comes to us. Let's not be afraid to receive each day's surprise, whether it comes to us as sorrow or as joy It will open a new place in our hearts, a place where we can welcome new friends and celebrate more fully our shared humanity.

Henri Nouwen
Profile Image

SHARED

'Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared'

Buddha
Profile Image
My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But oh my friends and ah my foes
It gives a lovely light

Edna St Vincent Millay
Profile Image

LOVELY

I like books that aren't just lovely but that have memories in themselves. Just like playing a song, picking up a book again that has memories can take you back to another place or another time.

Emma Watson
Profile Image

AGAIN

'Where shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?
When the hurly burly 's done?
When the battle's lost and won?'

Shakespeare
Profile Image

WHEN

We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.

Howard Zinn
Profile Image

SMALL

'Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.'

Margaret Mead

Profile Image

WORLD

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Profile Image

SEEM

'Little things seem nothing, but they give peace, like those meadow flowers which individually seem odourless but all together perfume the air.'

Georges Bernanos

Profile Image

LITTLE

If you look at history you see the way the labor movement was able to achieve things when it stuck to its guns, when it organized, when it resisted. Black people were able to change their condition when they fought back and when they organized. Same thing with the movement against the war in Vietnam, and the women's movement. History is instructive. And what it suggests to people is that even if they do little things, if they walk on the picket line, if they join a vigil, if they write a letter to their local newspaper. Anything they do, however small, becomes part of a much, much larger flow of energy. And when enough people do enough things, however small they are, then change takes place.

Howard Zinn
Profile Image

VIGIL

'When the hounds of spring are on winter's traces,
The mother of months in meadow or plain
Fills the shadows and windy places
With lisp of leaves and ripple of rain...

And the brown, bright nightingale amorous
Is half assured for Itylus,
For the Thracian ships and the foreign faces,
The tongueless vigil and all the pain.'

A C Swinburne
Profile Image

MEADOW

Little things seem nothing, but they give peace, like those meadow flowers which individually seem odorless but all together perfume the air.

Georges Bernanos
Profile Image

PERFUME

'Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.'

Arthur Miller

Profile Image

SUMMON

Open your refrigerator door, and you summon forth more light than the total amount enjoyed by most households in the 18th century. The world at night, for much of history, was a very dark place indeed.

Bill Bryson
Profile Image

DARK

'Find beauty not only in the thing itself but in the pattern of the shadows, the light and dark which that thing provides.'

Junichiro Tanizaki
Profile Image

SHADOWS

A street full of shadows will teach you what life is much better than the street full of lights!

Mehmet Murat ildan
Profile Image

BETTER

'Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.'

Albert Einstein
Profile Image

DEEP

The books that help you most are those which make you think the most. The hardest way of learning is that of easy reading; but a great book that comes from a great thinker is a ship of thought, deep freighted with truth and beauty.

Pablo Neruda

Profile Image

SHIP

'If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.'

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Profile Image

DRUM

'Let us liberate ourselves from any form of control. Let us focus at the inner drum, where the rhythm aligns with that of our heart. The measure of responsibility, equals to the need for evolution. Just listen, the inner child, let it whisper in your ear.'

Grigoris Deoudis
Profile Image

NEED

Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.

Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Profile Image

WISH

'As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.'

Henry David Thoreau

Profile Image

WALK

Technology can be our best friend, and technology can also be the biggest party pooper of our lives. It interrupts our own story, interrupts our ability to have a thought or a daydream, to imagine something wonderful, because we're too busy bridging the walk from the cafeteria back to the office on the cell phone.

Steven Spielberg

Profile Image

STORY

'I never feel lonely if I've got a book - they're like old friends. Even if you're not reading them over and over again, you know they are there. And they're part of your history. They sort of tell a story about your journey through life.'

Emilia Fox

Profile Image

JOURNEY

If there are a hundred steps
In thy path to success
And ye have not reached it
In ninety-nine of them
Do not conclude
That the journey is a failure.
Press on and up...
the prizes are generally at the end of an effort,
not at its beginning...
and not to go on
is to miss them.
Be valiant... have faith in yourself.
Success belongs to him
who dares to win it.

George S. Forest
Profile Image

PRIZE

'For it falls out that what we have we prize not to the worth...

We enjoy it, but being lacked and lost, why, then we rack the value...

Then we find the virtue that possession would not show us while it was ours.'

Shakespeare
Profile Image

ENJOY

When your life feels like you're on a sailboat, with no wind to fill your sails, there are still choices. You can drop anchor and enjoy your surroundings. Start your motor, if you have one. Grab an oar and start paddling, or wait for the wind to fill your sails once again. There are always other choices while crossing the ocean of life.

James A. Murphy,
Profile Image

OCEAN

'I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.'

Isaac Newton

Profile Image

ORDINARY

Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.

William Arthur Ward

Profile Image

TRANSFORM

Our most important task is to transform our consciousness so that violence is no longer an option for us in our personal lives, that understanding that a world of peace is possible only if we relate to each other as peaceful beings, one individual at a time.

Deepak Chopra

Profile Image
"PEACE cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding."

Albert Einstein
Profile Image
"To replace the old paradigm of war with a new paradigm of waging peace, we must be pioneers that can push the boundaries of human UNDERSTANDING. We must be doctors that can cure the virus of violence. We must be soldiers of peace who can do more than preach to the choir. And we must be artists who will make the world our masterpiece."

Paul Chappell
Profile Image

PUSH

Few things in the world are more powerful than a positive push. A smile. A word of optimism and hope. A 'you can do it' when things are tough.

Richard M. DeVos
Profile Image

POWERFUL

When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.

Malala Yousafzai

Profile Image

VOICE

If you hear a VOICE within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

Vincent Van Gogh

Profile Image
The best and most beautiful things in the world CANNOT be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.

Helen Keller
Profile Image

HEART

In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures. For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.

Khalil Gibran
Profile Image
There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true FRIENDSHIP.

Thomas Aquinas
Profile Image

EARTH

“The EARTH has music for those who listen.” » George Santayana
Profile Image
I think MUSIC is the greatest art form that exists, and I think people LISTEN to MUSIC for different reasons, and it serves different purposes. Some of it is background MUSIC, and some of it is things that might affect a person's day, if not their life, or change an attitude. The best songs are the ones that make you feel something.

Eddie Vedder
Profile Image

CHANGE

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.

Lao Tzu

Profile Image
If one advances confidently in the DIRECTION of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours.

Henry David Thoreau
Profile Image

UNEXPECTED

Never be so faithful to your plan that you are unwilling to consider the unexpected. Never be so faithful to your plan that you are unwilling to entertain the improbable opportunity that comes looking for you.

Elizabeth Warren
Profile Image
Be FAITHFUL in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.

Mother Teresa
Profile Image

STRENGTH

Don't wish me happiness
I don't expect to be happy all the time...
It's gotten beyond that somehow.
Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor.
I will need them all.

Anne Morrow Lindbergh
Profile Image
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
COURAGE to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Karl Paul Reinhold Niebuhr aka Reinhold Niebuhr...original author of the Serenity Prayer...in it's simplist and best known form presented here.
Profile Image

CHANGE

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world.

Jack Layton
Profile Image
OPTIMISM is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without HOPE and confidence.

Helen Keller
Profile Image

NOTHING

The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. No, not at all. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences, carry water with you and tend the grass where ever you may be.

Robert Fulghum
Profile Image
The more I am in a position to be tried in faith with reference to my body, my family, my service for the Lord, my business, etc., the more shall I have opportunity of seeing God's help and deliverance; and every fresh instance, in which He helps and delivers me, will TEND towards the increase of my faith.

George Muller
Profile Image

MORE

Every year I live I am more convinced that the waste of life lies in the love we have not given, the powers we have not used, the selfish prudence that will risk nothing, and which shirking pain, misses happiness as well. No one ever yet was the poorer in the long run for having once in a lifetime 'let out all the length of all the reins'.

Mary Cholmondeley
Profile Image
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mahatma Gandhi
Profile Image

WHEN

How simple it is to see that all the worry in the world cannot control the future.
How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now. And that there will never be a time
when it is not now.

Gerald Jampolsky
Profile Image
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.

Confucius
Profile Image

LIFE

Whether one is twenty, forty, sixty, or eighty; whether one has succeeded, failed or just muddled along - life begins each morning! The greatest fact in life is that it is never too late to start again. Biography simply overflows with inspiring examples of this truth. However discouraging your days may have been, keep this thought burning brightly in your mind: life begins each morning!

L.M. Hodges

1 2 3 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.