corner corner Starting a BC Shelf in my local thrift store

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Starting a BC Shelf in my local thrift store

Hello everyone,

I work at a smaller thrift store where it is just me and one other staff member so we are small and our book prices are cheep (like, .50 Cents a paperback and 1.00$ hardcovers unless a massive book). The stores profits go towards a local school so it would be best that we do sell them
She and I discussed the idea and she's actually on board with having a shelf for registered books, of course they would still be for sale since we are a small store. I'd take books home and register them or put out others I find registered. I know some people are not fond of thrift stores as release places but since the one I am at is so small we are not overly fussy and don't toss our books, we will donate them elsewhere instead of tossing them.

I was looking for ideas on a poster for the shelf, something that doesn't say free books. I can't afford stickers right yet for the books so I will print off labels and tape them in.
What do you all recommend for a flyer and such?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello everyone,

I work at a smaller thrift store where it is just me and one other staff member so we are small and our book prices are cheep (like, .50 Cents a paperback and 1.00$ hardcovers unless a massive book). The stores profits go towards a local school so it would be best that we do sell them
She and I discussed the idea and she's actually on board with having a shelf for registered books, of course they would still be for sale since we are a small store. I'd take books home and register them or put out others I find registered. I know some people are not fond of thrift stores as release places but since the one I am at is so small we are not overly fussy and don't toss our books, we will donate them elsewhere instead of tossing them.

I was looking for ideas on a poster for the shelf, something that doesn't say free books. I can't afford stickers right yet for the books so I will print off labels and tape them in.
What do you all recommend for a flyer and such?
Profile Image
I would love to make it an official zone but I was wondering how should I do that? Should I make a new account just for that zone? Or should I use myself to manage it?
Im really new to this so I'd love some advice
Profile Image
While I'm happy to donate BC books to thrift stores for re-sale, and have happily bought BC books when I've found them for sale at such shops, I do see some potential for confusion if you try to set up an OBCZ of for-sale books.

I have seen shops that set aside a free book-swap shelf or basket, distinct from the for-sale books; if you could do that, you could set up that swap-shelf as an OBCZ. But if you'd prefer to add your BC-books to the rest of your for-sale stock, I'd suggest just making release notes to your thrift shop, but not setting it up as an OBCZ.
Profile Image
That sounds like a good idea, thank you. I'll make a shelf spot with just bookcrossing items rather then make it an official zone! I appreciate the input. I suppose I'm just excited and not sure how to go about things
Profile Image
I'm wondering what your goal is here. Most of us give BookCrossing books away; I do that to spread the joy of reading. But people who are checking out second hand books are already readers. So what is to be gained by registering those books?

I'm asking because the answer may be helpful in deciding how you're going to go about this and what should be on your poster.
Profile Image
do that to spread the joy of reading.

Me too, Moem, but I assume most people who pick up my books are already readers. A lot of the reason I register them on BookCrossing instead of just giving them away is wanting to hear their story after they are picked up, to watch their journey. To me that is an important part.
Profile Image
I have to say I agree with solittletime, my goal isn't to convert more people to reading but to share books and encourage others to pass on books they enjoyed to someone else.
I love to see where books go and such.
I will probably not make the shelf official but I will make it a bookcrossing shelf still at work, it will encourage people to have a conversation and maybe bring in more people to share thier books.

Thank you so much for the input everyone.
Profile Image
Well, you're not really sharing books if people have to buy them, right? Still, they may be shared by the buyers after reading, and that is nice too; and of course you may be able to track them afterwards which is great if it happens. Wanting to see where the books go is of course very valid, it's one of the cornerstones of BookCrossing.

So you might want to make your poster mention things like 'share your opinion on this book' and 'be a part of the book's history' and 'reach out to other readers' and things like that.

For the record, I agree with Solittletime too. And I really was asking for the reason I stated, not because I wanted to discourage you or anything like that. There are lots of valid reasons to participate in BookCrossing. And lots of ways to do so.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.