corner corner Interesting problem at my town's new LFLs: people dropping off actual library books.

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Interesting problem at my town's new LFLs: people dropping off actual library books.

Have any of you had this happen, and if so, did you come up with some wording for a sign and/or brochure to let people know that the LFLs are not library-book-return spots?

So far I've only come across one example of this, out of the eight new LFLs in town, and it may just be the one person who was confused (or whose spouse/child/friend "helpfully" dropped off the books without realizing they were library books, but I'd rather be clear up front and avoid making people feel bad about the LFL concept.

I don't know if this is better or worse than the "clear out all the books at once" problem, or the "look through the books and leave them in a jumbled heap, half-in and half-out of the LFL" problem {wry grin}. At least people are visiting them!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Have any of you had this happen, and if so, did you come up with some wording for a sign and/or brochure to let people know that the LFLs are not library-book-return spots?

So far I've only come across one example of this, out of the eight new LFLs in town, and it may just be the one person who was confused (or whose spouse/child/friend "helpfully" dropped off the books without realizing they were library books, but I'd rather be clear up front and avoid making people feel bad about the LFL concept.

I don't know if this is better or worse than the "clear out all the books at once" problem, or the "look through the books and leave them in a jumbled heap, half-in and half-out of the LFL" problem {wry grin}. At least people are visiting them!
Profile Image
I think Moem had a library book in her LFL, so she got on her bicycle and returned it :-)
Overhere people can buy library books when they are out of date and you can not always tell so maybe that was the case.
I was given a box of 'written off' books for Bookcrossing by my library but I have special stickers http://www.bookcrossing.nl/---/Afgeschrevenbiebboekmetrand.jpg
so people know what they are.
Profile Image
I think Moem had a library book in her LFL, so she got on her bicycle and returned it :-)

Well, of course! {grin} I'm planning on dropping these off at the library myself, but I don't want the LFL users to assume this is a good idea; they'll end up with surprise late fees someday and may blame the LFL project for it, not a good vibe.

Overhere people can buy library books when they are out of date and you can not always tell so maybe that was the case.

That's the case here as well; many of my own books, whether from thrift shops or bought online, are ex-library books. But they generally have stamps saying "discard" or "withdrawn", and some/most of the library identification crossed out, so it's obvious they aren't current. (I remove the external labels/stickers of these ex-library books myself, to help avoid confusion; I did have a BC book or two dropped off at a library returns box in the past!)

These books did NOT have the "discard" stamps, and their library IDs were all in place. I phoned the library and they checked the books' code numbers, and verified that they were still in circulation.

I admit I feel a bit sorry for whoever it was, if they assumed that the wonderful new LFL project was intended to provide convenient local dropoffs for library-book returns {rueful grin}.
Profile Image
I remove the external labels/stickers of these ex-library books myself, to help avoid confusion

I have a specific custom label that I use for ex-library books, it says something like Retired from the library.
Profile Image
in my Little Free Library. However, I have had books from school libraries. I usually email the school and return the books if I find they are still active in the school library system. I generally do this only for local libraries, although I have mailed books out of state to get them back to their original library in thepast. Fortunately, this does not happen too often,

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.