corner corner Bench-Based OBCZ?

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Bench-Based OBCZ?

I'm (very excitedly) thinking about starting an OBCZ in a front yard under a tree. I was thinking of getting a bench similar to this one: https://www.wayfair.com/---/Step2-Storage-and-More-Storage-Bench-STP1652.html I want to be sure the one I get is waterproof, and sturdy enough for adults to sit on it. Can you think of anything else I should check/look for in a bench?
I'm going to figure out signage -- I'm currently thinking a small, laminated info sheet attached inside one of the arms + word of mouth advertising. Maybe a cute Ballycumber diamond on a yard stake. (Would I be allowed to do that--copyright-wise?)
Do you think the overall idea is ok? Dumb? Do any of you have (or have you seen) a bench used as an OBCZ?
I haven't bought anything or set up anything yet--just dreaming at this point, so ALL input (positive or negative) is very welcome!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I'm (very excitedly) thinking about starting an OBCZ in a front yard under a tree. I was thinking of getting a bench similar to this one: https://www.wayfair.com/Step2-Storage-and-More-Storage-Bench-STP1652.html I want to be sure the one I get is waterproof, and sturdy enough for adults to sit on it. Can you think of anything else I should check/look for in a bench?
I'm going to figure out signage -- I'm currently thinking a small, laminated info sheet attached inside one of the arms + word of mouth advertising. Maybe a cute Ballycumber diamond on a yard stake. (Would I be allowed to do that--copyright-wise?)
Do you think the overall idea is ok? Dumb? Do any of you have (or have you seen) a bench used as an OBCZ?
I haven't bought anything or set up anything yet--just dreaming at this point, so ALL input (positive or negative) is very welcome!
Profile Image
Cute idea - and the bench looks pretty nice! Having to raise the seat to check out the books could be a bit of a drawback, but suitable instructions might help, and in general it sounds like a fun plan.

Maybe a cute Ballycumber diamond on a yard stake. (Would I be allowed to do that--copyright-wise?)

You are allowed to use the Ballycumber image for OBCZs, no problem there!
Profile Image
Cute idea - and the bench looks pretty nice! Having to raise the seat to check out the books could be a bit of a drawback, but suitable instructions might help, and in general it sounds like a fun plan.

Thanks! I was thinking of a regular bench beside an outdoor shelf, but couldn't really think of a way to make it work. Plus, this seemed simpler & more likely to actually be accomplished by me! 😄
I was thinking if someone was sitting on the bench, and someone else approaches, maybe it'll just be a conversation prompt instead of an inconvenience. I don't know if anyone will actually even sit down and read, although the thought is lovely to me. :)
I'll be sure to post instructions for opening the bench on any releases I make there.

You are allowed to use the Ballycumber image for OBCZs, no problem there!

Cool. I was thinking that was the case, but couldn't remember for sure.
Profile Image

Thanks! I was thinking of a regular bench beside an outdoor shelf, but couldn't really think of a way to make it work.

Or a regular bench beside a Little Free Library. https://littlefreelibrary.org/

The bench idea sounds pretty cool, except... would it be waterproof? What if someone left the bench seat up and the books got drenched? And there would have to be some notice that there were books inside at the spot, not just in books you released, since people might come there not because they were hunting for a specific book. Also, once that book is taken, the instructions on the book you released would no longer apply since the book would no longer be there, so it seems the instructions belong at the bench so passersby can enjoy your book generosity.

Good luck with an interesting project!
Profile Image
Waterproof-ness is definitely the biggest concern. I suppose LFLs are an easily recognizable format, too. (The telephone box libraries look phenomenal, but a prefab LFL for a couple hundred $$ is already a bit too much for me, and I'm sure one of those would cost thousands! And not really blend into my Pennsylvania neighborhood. Haha.) Maybe I will hold off and work towards a more traditional look.
Profile Image
I made a LFL from scratch and including the plexiglass door it cost maybe $100. If there is a building re-use store near you you might be able to pick up some old wood cabinets to repurpose into a more traditional looking little free library.

A boy and his dad in my neighborhood made a fantastic looking one using two small repurposed cabinets and adding a roof to each. I added a photo to the release zone here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/805431
Profile Image
I made a LFL from scratch and including the plexiglass door it cost maybe $100.

I built my outdoor bookcase from leftover and previously used materials and I spent a lot less than that. But I was lucky to have paint, wood and other materials to use.

Last year, we had our roof re-done and I asked for a piece of the left over roofing material (don't know what it's called in English) so now I have a 'real' roof! Before that, I used a piece of vinyl floor material (same problem there) that was printed to look like wood. That worked very well, too.

I would always prefer to have the books visible. I don't think many people will lift the seat on a bench, even with very clear instructions. I used the doors of a wooden cabinet, took the panels out and replaced them with thick clear plastic, so that people can see the books. And I used some magnets from old harddisks to close the doors!
Profile Image
YES! There is a little free library in San Diego that is just like this! Let me see if I have a photo.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.