corner corner Zone/charity donations?

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Zone/charity donations?

I work at a hospital and I was a bit wary of releasing books just any old how; as we obviously have a big market for people really needing a book, there's already a stall where books are brought in and you can just take one, but you are asked for a donation.

I would going to ask the people that run it if they didn't mind me doing wild releases into their stock, just dropping a book there every now and then. I don't think they'll mind as it's just another book for them to raise funds with...

The other thing I had thought, and which is why I'm here asking, as I was thinking of maybe making it an official Zone to get more books coming in for donation etc. but I didn't know that the feeling was about it here. They don't "sell" the books as such, just ask for a donation. It's out in the reception so you could just take a book if you wanted, but people are encouraged to put money in a collecting box if they take a book.

Is there a rule that says a Zone has to be for free, or would it be okay to have a Zone where we encourage people to wild release, and if they want to catch a book we say that we'd like them to make a donation.

It's for palliative care/cancer so definitely a very worthy cause!

If you think making it an official Zone isn't appropriate then I can always just release there, but I did think it'd be a nice way of getting more book donations.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I work at a hospital and I was a bit wary of releasing books just any old how; as we obviously have a big market for people really needing a book, there's already a stall where books are brought in and you can just take one, but you are asked for a donation.

I would going to ask the people that run it if they didn't mind me doing wild releases into their stock, just dropping a book there every now and then. I don't think they'll mind as it's just another book for them to raise funds with...

The other thing I had thought, and which is why I'm here asking, as I was thinking of maybe making it an official Zone to get more books coming in for donation etc. but I didn't know that the feeling was about it here. They don't "sell" the books as such, just ask for a donation. It's out in the reception so you could just take a book if you wanted, but people are encouraged to put money in a collecting box if they take a book.

Is there a rule that says a Zone has to be for free, or would it be okay to have a Zone where we encourage people to wild release, and if they want to catch a book we say that we'd like them to make a donation.

It's for palliative care/cancer so definitely a very worthy cause!

If you think making it an official Zone isn't appropriate then I can always just release there, but I did think it'd be a nice way of getting more book donations.
Profile Image
I think it'd be fine to make it an OBCZ, if its managers are willing. And if not, feel free to release books there.

When I release books to charity-sale shelves, Goodwill stores, etc., I do include a note about that in my release notes, indicating that the books will be for sale (or for a requested donation), just as a heads-up to potential book-hunters. And I avoid using any permanent "free book" labels on such books - though I seldom use those on any books, beyond the "I'm Free" sticky-notes for non-bookshelf releases.
Profile Image
Is there a rule that says a Zone has to be for free

I don't think there is such a rule. But it would be smart to indicate it clearly in the Zone's information.
Profile Image
I'm thinking they may not say yes anyway but I'll ask today.
Profile Image
....let me have your address & I'm sure I can find something to send on.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.