corner corner Ritzy Zone Closed

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Ritzy Zone Closed

I popped into the Ritzy Zone in Brixton, London, UK today to drop off some books, only to be told that the zone is closed. Sad. I gave the books I had prepared to the nearest charity shop. Posting here so that someone can mark the zone on the site.

Is book crossing at an end? I have been selling second hand books since 2004 as a part time business, those books that I cannot sell for whatever reason of weight etc, against price, I have book crossed, as I have been a keen bookcrosser anyway. I am struggling to find any book crossing zones now to leave books at and cannot even given them away through free cycle anymore. I am giving up bookselling for the same reason.

I thought I would never say it but I am increasingly reading books myself on kindle. I took me a long time to get used to it. I miss reading a good book then sharing it with a friend.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I popped into the Ritzy Zone in Brixton, London, UK today to drop off some books, only to be told that the zone is closed. Sad. I gave the books I had prepared to the nearest charity shop. Posting here so that someone can mark the zone on the site.

Is book crossing at an end? I have been selling second hand books since 2004 as a part time business, those books that I cannot sell for whatever reason of weight etc, against price, I have book crossed, as I have been a keen bookcrosser anyway. I am struggling to find any book crossing zones now to leave books at and cannot even given them away through free cycle anymore. I am giving up bookselling for the same reason.

I thought I would never say it but I am increasingly reading books myself on kindle. I took me a long time to get used to it. I miss reading a good book then sharing it with a friend.
Profile Image
That's a real shame. I've found a few book crossing zones over the past year - mostly shelves in cafes and things like that. All of them were already listed here but they were new to me! I've a particular fondness for the Lewisham Micro Library - all my books seem to get taken, even if they've never been journaled, which makes me leave more.
Profile Image
I am struggling to find any book crossing zones now to leave books at

You don't need an existing zone to leave books. I leave them in restaurants, coffee shops, hospital and doctor's waiting rooms, Little Free Libraries, laundromats, colleges, schools, retirement homes, nursing homes, veterinarian's, food pantries, homeless shelters, etc., as well as Official BookCrossing Zones. There are many places out there that would love your books. Don't give up. : )
Profile Image
Is book crossing at an end?

I'm not getting that feeling. I do feel that, with the current wave of Little Free Libraries and similar public book exchanges, a part of BookCrossing activity has moved there.
And it does seem like London is not currently very active. On the other hand, activity in much of Europe is stable or up.
Profile Image
I have also marked it as defunct on the LibraryThing directory of OBCZs.
http://www.librarything.com/local_directory.php?...

With regard to bookcrossing coming to an end I agree with Moem. I also notice that most of the activity in London appears to be in Walthamstow and Waterloo.
Profile Image

That's a shame - I occasionally go there and try to take a book when I do. Next time I'll leave a book up the stairs where they have the flyers.

Don't give up!! Our paths haven't crossed yet I don't think but it is always a joy to see there is someone else in South East London doing the same as me!!

I miss reading a good book then sharing it with a friend.

You know there's one very simple way to resolve that one - I didn't think I'd hear it from a bookcrosser!!

I hope you keep releasing books :) I always prefer not to leave books in official zones...
Profile Image
An OBCZ needs a BCer to manage (set up and restock) and it's all volunteers. Not to mention that sometimes, or quite often actually, businesses close, so say if I've set up an OBCZ in a cafe, when the places closes I may not have another location to host a new OBCZ. Over the years a few times it happened that I went to refill my books only to stare at empty space behind locked doors.

However, as others mentioned, I've seen many Little Free Libraries popping up, as well as free bookshelves set up by governments and nonprofit groups. So if anything, I have more places to release my books than before, if I prefer not to just leave them at random locations.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.