corner corner New OBCZ and LFL in Ipswich UK

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

New OBCZ and LFL in Ipswich UK

I have today erected and filled the Little Free Library I have been building over the last couple of weeks. Naturally it is an OBCZ too :-)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/787733

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have today erected and filled the Little Free Library I have been building over the last couple of weeks. Naturally it is an OBCZ too :-)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/787733
Profile Image

Very cool

Good job and congratulations!
Profile Image
Thanks Moem. It is not quite as large as yours but I still started off with 43 books and it was nowhere near full. I need to find a cheap source of children's books for sure :)
Profile Image
It is not quite as large as yours but I still started off with 43 books and it was nowhere near full.

Then it's larger, actually. Mine has only the one shelf and 43 books would probably not fit.
Profile Image
Oh, I must be thinking of a photo I saw of someone else's with three shelves. Cool whatever the size though.
Profile Image
and a nice assortment of books too. Best of luck with it!
Profile Image
Thank you. Have you got time for one?
Profile Image
Greetings and best wishes from my Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) and OBCZ in Rockville, Maryland, USA, to your brand new Little Free Library and OBCZ in Ipswich, UK!

You are going to have so much fun with it...but you already knew that. :)
Profile Image
Thanks. I have already had a few books taken and one donation. I have also had a lovely note which reads "Great Idea. We love it! Our 4 children very excited about regularly swapping books at your special library. Hope lots of others make use of it too. Thank you"

I may also set up a Facebook page as you have and plan to incorporate a 'goodie box' for small toys and also a geocache in due course. Any suggestions you have will be most welcome.
Profile Image
I may also set up a Facebook page as you have

Let me know when you set up your Facebook page so I can "like" it.

also a geocache in due course.

My husband built a shelf under my Little Free Library to use for geocaching. I joined the website, but now I have to take some time to learn how to set my own up. I hear that this helps increase foot traffic to LFLs so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Profile Image
http://coord.info/GC63CV0

As for the FB page I think I will wait until I have my charter number which may take some time as I am outside the USA. I must confess I find LFL a bit US centric for an organisation with world wide ambitions like BC, GC and LT.
Profile Image
I love that you did the geocache. I'm still debating how to go about doing one, although I'm a bit more serious now.

I did register on geocaching.com. I also had my husband build a "basement" for my LFL which is basically a shelf on which to place the geocache box.

I went yesterday to look for a geocache in my nearby park, but, alas, I couldn't find it.

Did you buy supplies from geocaching.com, or did you make your own? Did you buy a premium membership, or are you using their free basic membership?

I love the journal entry you got right away! I could certainly use this as a way to bring more individuals to my LFL. My LFL is a portal for the game Ingress.

Do you think I should use a larger geocache box which could hold more materials, or a smaller box which would seem to be more "hidden"? Did you put "swag" in your box, or do you consider your books to be the geocaching "swag"?
Profile Image
I think they recommend that you find at least 10 caches before you hide your own. Then I would either go for a smaller cache well hidden in the LFL or a large box under it with a numbered padlock that needs you to solve a puzzle to get the numbers to open it.

I am now a premium member of geocaching.com but I started off with the free membership to try it first. I have bought geocaching supplies but like BookCrossing it is not essential.

My LFL cache is basically a pencil case tucked up on a shelf under the roof and contains a small amount of 'bonus' swag. I have a 'goodie box' containing small toys and gifts anyone can swap on the bottom shelf with the children's books.
Profile Image
I must confess I find LFL a bit US centric for an organisation with world wide ambitions like BC, GC and LT.

What is GC?

I think LFL would also like to be more accepted and spread worldwide, but it is a relatively new organization and (to me, anyway) not as sophisticated as BC and LT, which have been around for a while. LT just celebrated its 10th anniversary. I've been a member of BC for 12 years!

I also think that LFL turns off many individuals (probably more in countries other than the USA) by requesting the fee to become a charter member. Both LT and BC have the option of free membership.

In addition and to my knowledge, LFL has not been including other languages in their marketing yet. I might be wrong about this, though.
Profile Image
GC = geocaching
Yes LFL are newer and will hopefully grow like the others. As far as I know GC is the only one with a large corporation behind it and that shows.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.