corner corner would you register this book?

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

would you register this book?

Hello, I need to consult the hive mind! Someone has left a baby names book on my obcz shelf. Normally I register any books left there, but this one has a really nice inscription inside it to the new parents from a good friend. I'm not sure I'm comfortable registering it. Happy for it to be on the shelf tho.

What do you all think?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello, I need to consult the hive mind! Someone has left a baby names book on my obcz shelf. Normally I register any books left there, but this one has a really nice inscription inside it to the new parents from a good friend. I'm not sure I'm comfortable registering it. Happy for it to be on the shelf tho.

What do you all think?
Profile Image
If someone left a book like that in the OBCZ that I manage, I would definitely register it, but I would try to use a BC label that completely covers the inscription/dedication, or at least the names of the people involved.
No need to feel 'uncomfortable'; it wasn't you who left the book there in the first place - it was someone else. Maybe the 'new parents' are older parents in the meantime and have recently had a clearout. :-))
Profile Image
left at an OBCZ. I find books with personal inscriptions all the time at used book stores or sales. I assume the people enjoyed the book for a while and then were ready to sell it or give it away.
Profile Image
I'd register it, and if the inscription is amusing or touching I might even transcribe it in my JE (minus any last names - and I wouldn't try to obscure or remove an inscription unless it contained identifying information or a too-personal comment). I've even wild-released books of my own that included inscriptions from family; I can love the gift and the giver without necessarily wanting to keep the item forever.
Profile Image
I can love the gift and the giver without necessarily wanting to keep the item forever.

Yes. When I pass on an inscribed book I always have this romantic view that the inscription makes it more intriguing and valuable. So when I gift a book and inscribe it I try to make the inscription warm, funny and interesting both for the recipient and for imagined future book ethnographers or historians

Yes I am a nut!
Profile Image
What about this would make you feel uncomfortable?

The parents got a thoughtful gift, that they probably appreciated, but they don't need it anymore and so they want to pass it on. I'd say that's cool.
Profile Image
I think it I felt that it was just too personal. It covers the whole of the first page:

"Laura & John,
....this'll be one of the most important cabhoices you'll make...
a beautiful couple, a beautiful baby to be born...
I look forward to hearing the name Baby ________Robertson!
Julie xxx"
Profile Image
"Laura & John,
Julie xxx"

Ah, see, I might want to obscure that because of the names in there. I might glue some white paper over it, the same size as the page, and then stick a BC label on top of that.
Profile Image
"Laura & John,
Julie xxx"

Ah, see, I might want to obscure that because of the names in there. I might glue some white paper over it, the same size as the page, and then stick a BC label on top of that.

I like that idea - thanks!
Profile Image
Thanks to all for your advice and opinions :-)
Profile Image

oops

just realised I started this thread as the obcz name and have switched to my own screen name. sorry for any confusion.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.