corner corner OBCZ and meet-ups in Greater London

Forum | << OBCZ Managers | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

OBCZ and meet-ups in Greater London

I'll soon relocate to London, and would like to know about possible OBCZ around London. ,[I thought there would be plenty of them, but it's been quite difficult to find any correct information.] So far, I've found
1- The Camel and Artichoke in Waterloo, 121 Lower Marsh London
2- Brunel Museum in Rotherhithe
3- The Castle Climbing Centre Cafe at Green Lane in Stoke Newington, Greater London N4 2FA
4- Hoop & Grapes 80 Farringdon Street in Blackfriars, Greater London EC4A 4BL
5- Nags Head 9 Orford Road in Walthamstow, Greater London, E17 9LP [Maybe]
6- The Ritzy (cinema) Brixton Oval, Coldharbour Lane, SW2 1JG
Brixton, Greater London
7- Duke of Hamilton, 23 New End, Hampstead, NW3 1JD
8- The Ship St Mary's Rotherhithe 39-47 Saint Marychurch Street, London SE16 4JE
{It is not specifically a bookcrossing shelf, but the collection of books is wonderful. Me and ETMadrid have left some registered books there.}
9- The Angel at Rotherhithe
101 Bermondsey Wall East, London SE16 4NB
{Another place which has a bookshelf of unregistered books}

Is there any other OBCZ that you know of? And meet-ups?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I'll soon relocate to London, and would like to know about possible OBCZ around London. ,[I thought there would be plenty of them, but it's been quite difficult to find any correct information.] So far, I've found
1- The Camel and Artichoke in Waterloo, 121 Lower Marsh London
2- Brunel Museum in Rotherhithe
3- The Castle Climbing Centre Cafe at Green Lane in Stoke Newington, Greater London N4 2FA
4- Hoop & Grapes 80 Farringdon Street in Blackfriars, Greater London EC4A 4BL
5- Nags Head 9 Orford Road in Walthamstow, Greater London, E17 9LP [Maybe]
6- The Ritzy (cinema) Brixton Oval, Coldharbour Lane, SW2 1JG
Brixton, Greater London
7- Duke of Hamilton, 23 New End, Hampstead, NW3 1JD
8- The Ship St Mary's Rotherhithe 39-47 Saint Marychurch Street, London SE16 4JE
{It is not specifically a bookcrossing shelf, but the collection of books is wonderful. Me and ETMadrid have left some registered books there.}
9- The Angel at Rotherhithe
101 Bermondsey Wall East, London SE16 4NB
{Another place which has a bookshelf of unregistered books}

Is there any other OBCZ that you know of? And meet-ups?
Profile Image
I recently visited the Nags Head OBCZ in Walthamstow so that is still going although there has not been a meet up there for ages.
http://www.librarything.com/---/Nags-Head
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/310006

Quite a few Little Free Libraries in Walthamstow and the rest of London too which are worth a visit:-
http://www.librarything.com/---/littledirectory&subtype=1&country=United%20Kingdom&id=greater%20london

Looks like there is a new OBCZ started in Stoke Newington too :-)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/761228

Someone has also released a book at the Hoop and Grapes this month so that OBCZ is probably still going http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/517017
Profile Image
Someone has also released a book at the Hoop and Grapes this month so that OBCZ is probably still going http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/517017

Yes I'm sure the one at the Hoop and Grapes is still going. It was in April last year that I was there but I wouldn't imagine that it has changed...

Look forward to maybe meeting you veleta!
Profile Image
Looks like there is a new OBCZ started in Stoke Newington too :-)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/761228

Great, I know the Climbing Centre! They have a fantastic community garden/allotment. I'll definitely try and visit next time I'm in Stoke Newington.
Profile Image
I'll soon relocate to London,

When is soon? Not before Sunday 7th Sep I don't suppose? We are doing a release walk that will start from the Brunel Museum and go westwards along the Thames Path. We're likely to meet around lunchtime.
Profile Image
No, "un"fortunately no, [the reason being that I'll relocate as soon as I lose my job, which I don't know exactly when it's going to be, but I know it'll be soon], so it's unfortunate that I won't be in London by that date, but it wouldn't be so fortunate to be there because it would have meant that I had lost my job sooner.

Thank you for the information anyway. If I can stay longer, we'll meet someday for sure.
Profile Image
I've checked out the bookshelf at the Ritzy three or four times, including tonight. It is small and none of the other books there other than the one I left appeared to be bookcrossing books, but it is there! http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/345381 The bookshelf is no longer near the back but against a wall close to the entrance to the café.
Profile Image
Thank you for all your answers. I'll be there soon.
Profile Image
I'll arrive to London this Thursday. I don't know if this weekend I'll be too knackered out to do anything, but I'll try to visit some of the places mentioned in the first post. I'll keep you updated.
Profile Image
¡Buen viaje! I live very near the Brunel Museum. You could always try sending me a message before you go there in case I'm around....
Profile Image
Yesterday I couldn't connect to the free wifi all day and today I complained to one of the receptionists. As they usually are relaxed about any complaint, I decided to visit the Camel & the Artichike near Waterloo for some tea instead of getting frantic in front of the computer because he hadn't rebooted the rooter yet. I couldn't see a bookcrossing bookshelf on the lower floor, and there was stuff around on the stairs preventing customers to go to the first floor, so I just left the book at the entrance, at a table with plenty of informative leaflets. Fortunately, I already have wi-fi.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12954455/
Profile Image
Oval tube station has a shelf of free books to exchange. It is not a bookcrossing-only book, but I think it is bookcrossing-friendly. Outside, in a five-minute walk from this station (well, maybe 10, but it is a nice short walk), in van Gogh Walk (before it was Isabel Street)
there is a waterproofed box of books as well. check it out! There were some interesting books for all ages: childrens, teenagers' and adults'!!!!
Profile Image
IPSWICH

Caffe Nero, the Buttermarket, (upstairs on the mantlepiece)
The Greyhound pub on Ivry Road (shelf opposite the bar)
Coffee Link, Neptune Marina (upstairs, book case on far wall)

Colchester:
Slack Space, Eld Lane
Love Coffee Aroma, High Street
Purple Dog, Eld Lane
Foresters Arms, Castle Road
Hospital Arms, Crouch Street
15 Queen Street
Fox Pub, Layer de la Haye
Jardines Bistro, Wivenhoe

and in Caffe Nero they have meetups the second Saturday of each month, 12:00-13:00. Can anyone confirm if these places are still official bc sites or the meetups are still going on?
Profile Image
In Milton Keynes, in the public library in Salibury Boulevard, there is a bookcrossing bookshelf. I found it just by chance, so I didn't leave any books there. But OK; this is not London.
Profile Image
Duke of Hamilton, 23 New End, Hampstead, NW3 1JD

Next Wednesday they have a meetup, so I'm going to check them out!!!!
Profile Image
In fact, it's much easier to find information about meetups through another website, meetup.com than in bookcrossing. {Not complaining, just curious about it}. So if anybody else is interested in checking out bc.com meetups up, its worth it to join this websites, which automatically sends reminders to your email address.
Profile Image
You've not made it to the Brunel Museum yet have you? Hoping we can coincide at some stage :)
Profile Image
You've not made it to the Brunel Museum yet have you? Hoping we can coincide at some stage :)

I went to the area and found the museum, but then I realised that there was a charge and I didn't have enough [I tend to guess how much I am going to need and only have that amount on me] So I cannot say about the museum inside, but the stroll outside and the area are beautiful!
Profile Image

I went to the area and found the museum, but then I realised that there was a charge and I didn't have enough [I tend to guess how much I am going to need and only have that amount on me] So I cannot say about the museum inside, but the stroll outside and the area are beautiful!

The books are in the café and there's no charge to go in to that part of it (it's 1.50 concessions I believe which you might have been entitled to...). Come back sometime! There are lots of books in the Ship and a few in the Angel pubs nearby. Some in St Mary's Church too though the selection's not great. Those are all free (or almost - the church requires a donation for books). Yes it's a lovely area indeed.
Profile Image

The books are in the café and there's no charge to go in to that part of it (it's 1.50 concessions I believe which you might have been entitled to...). Come back sometime! There are lots of books in the Ship and a few in the Angel pubs nearby. Some in St Mary's Church too though the selection's not great. Those are all free (or almost - the church requires a donation for books). Yes it's a lovely area indeed.

OK. I'll try to go to that café some time.

I don't think I'll be entitled to get a concession's lower charge, because apparently, the British government is terrified that I become a burden to the social services so I can't even use the jobcenter or be referred to a jobseeking organization like Maximus, even though I'm jobless. But thank you for the advise.
Profile Image

OK. I'll try to go to that café some time.

I don't think I'll be entitled to get a concession's lower charge, because apparently, the British government is terrified that I become a burden to the social services so I can't even use the jobcenter or be referred to a jobseeking organization like Maximus, even though I'm jobless. But thank you for the advise.

The café itself is no great shakes at the moment so I recommend looking at the books and the museum and then going to the nearby Watchhouse café where they do very nice coffee. And as for the concession rate, I think most people would let you in for that rate if you explain - it all depends on the volunteer on duty. Don't think it impossible! And do let me know next time.
Profile Image
In fact, it's much easier to find information about meetups through another website, meetup.com than in bookcrossing.

Not where I am. We haven't used meetup since they started charging for the service. We send out notices in the forums and by email or PM.
Profile Image
In fact, it's much easier to find information about meetups through another website, meetup.com than in bookcrossing.

Not where I am. We haven't used meetup since they started charging for the service. We send out notices in the forums and by email or PM.

It's always puzzled me why this forum isn't used more for this. I've no inclination to join meetup and was very surprised when I finally cottoned onto the fact that a donation was expected. But I ended up paying for it in terms of time when I rocked up to a meetup that had just changed its venue without of course any way of knowing where the new venue was.... It was a dark cold night and a long bus journey each way.
Profile Image
It's always puzzled me why this forum isn't used more for this. I've no inclination to join meetup and was very surprised when I finally cottoned onto the fact that a donation was expected. But I ended up paying for it in terms of time when I rocked up to a meetup that had just changed its venue without of course any way of knowing where the new venue was.... It was a dark cold night and a long bus journey each way.

That has already happened to me, as the first meetup coincided with a bus-driver strike, and I decided to go anyway, as I didn't know what to do with so many books!!! The advantage is that the cancellation was announced through this other webpage. :-) In fact, today there is a meetup in Hampstead, so I hope there will be no cancellations or mishaps. I'll tell you later.

Profile Image

So, is that list available somewhere? Because it's more than three months since I started asking about meetups in London.
Profile Image
At the Duke of Hamilton pub. They didn't charge me, (or anybody else, as far as I know). So you're all invited to attend the next meetup, I think.
Profile Image
Hiya, we were in touch briefly around Christmas. I have just set up a Little Free Book Box outside my home at the bottom of South Villas just off Camden Square. It'll be outside when I have books to share and the weather's suitable. People are more than welcome to drop any books they want to share too. I am hoping to make it an OBCZ once i've practiced it going for a few weeks.
Profile Image
The camel and artichoke in Waterloo has been shut

Here's the forum
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/538074

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.