corner corner [Fixed] Journal Alert emails

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

[Fixed] Journal Alert emails

I know that I've had a book of two journaled on the last few days but I've not Recived an email alert about it I've checked on my settings and they're all correct and my junk box, just wondering if there is a glitch or not

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
I know that I've had a book of two journaled on the last few days but I've not Recived an email alert about it I've checked on my settings and they're all correct and my junk box, just wondering if there is a glitch or not
Profile Image
I got a JE alert just this morning, so if there is a problem it's not with *all* JE-alerts. (FWIW, my settings are for individual alerts; this means I get emails on new JEs, but not on new release notes.)
Profile Image
There seems to a general problems mit the journal alerts, at least with the digested ones. We have a corresponding thread about missing alert mails in in the german forum.
Profile Image
Few it's not just em then
Profile Image
There seems to a general problems mit the journal alerts, at least with the digested ones.

Yep, make that "there is". I was fortunate enough to stumble upon some JEs by fellow bookcrossers on controlled releases, but it's been months since I've received a release alert or a "digested" JE alert.
Profile Image

Same thing

on the Dutch forum. At least a couple of us have had a book or two journalled without getting the e-mail the next day.
Profile Image
Yes, I have the same problem and so does my OBCZ. I've contacted support but no answer so far.
Profile Image
I've tried contacting support aswell but no reply
Profile Image
I reported the issue yesterday and got a ticket id so far. The ticket is still open. We will see what happens.
Profile Image
The support replied now:
"we are aware there are some problems with the daily digest emails and have asked the technical staff in the USA to look into it. No answer yet from there, I'm afraid.

Greetings from Helsinki.

Hope this helps, best regards"

Thanks to the support stuff so far!
Profile Image

Support is aware of the problem and has passed it on to the other side of the ocean. We're waiting for a reply from there.
Profile Image
It's still not working this morning. Has there been any update from the US?
Profile Image
It's still not working this morning. Has there been any update from the US?

no update yet :-/
Profile Image
Support is aware of the problem and has passed it on to the other side of the ocean. We're waiting for a reply from there.

Thank you hippolein.
Profile Image
Thanks hippolein.

Any update on when it's likely to be fixed?
Profile Image
Thanks hippolein.

I promise to tell the second I hear something ...
Profile Image
Thanks hippolein.

I promise to tell the second I hear something ...

Thank you!
Profile Image
I usually get an alert when my books move around e.g. get re-released by a bookcrosser BUT these are only being recorded on my bookshelf at the moment and not by bc alerts. Also I've sent a few pm's without getting replies so I'm wondering whether they are getting through-although the latter may just be a coincidence.
Profile Image
FYI, I am receiving PMs and individual JE-alert emails; not sure if the problem's with the digest emails specifically or if there are other issues re spam filters, specific email providers, etc., but wanted to mention this as a data point.

Profile Image
Yes, I think from the messages in this thread that this is only a problem with digest e-mails not with individual alerts or PMs.

I'm using gmail and they are definitely not in my spam filter or promotions folder.
Profile Image
I've not received my daily journal alert for a couple of days now despite having books journelled & my settings being right.
Profile Image
On the Dutch forum there was this suggestion:
You can temporarily switch to individual reports, because they seem to be doing it.

And that works.
Profile Image
Thanks - will do that.
Profile Image
Wings also allow you to sort your bookshelf by "most recently journaled", which will bring any recent catches or re-releases to the top of the list. (And since the individual-alert option does not include re-releases, I find that helpful!)
Profile Image
On the Dutch forum there was this suggestion:
You can temporarily switch to individual reports, because they seem to be doing it.

And that works.

I have tried - but while that works for receiving alerts for books that are released in the wild, it does not solve the issue for alerts for your books that are being journaled or released.

Or at least, it does not work for me. Thus I am also encountering an issue with individual alerts, not only with the daily digests as reported here.
Profile Image
it does not solve the issue for alerts for your books that are being journaled or released.

I know , I don't get them either and really miss them. But there does not seem to be an solution yet :-(
Profile Image

I have tried - but while that works for receiving alerts for books that are released in the wild, it does not solve the issue for alerts for your books that are being journaled or released.

Or at least, it does not work for me. Thus I am also encountering an issue with individual alerts, not only with the daily digests as reported here.

Interesting, it does work for me so not everyone must be experiencing the same.
Profile Image

Interesting, it does work for me so not everyone must be experiencing the same.

My apologies - in fact individual alerts work for me. It's just that I hadn't realized until now that such individual alerts are not sent for my own books which are "re-released" (e.g. a Ring sent to the next participant through a controlled release). But this is apparently not a bug.

I am thus experiencing the same issue as others, with daily summary alerts.
Profile Image
I didn't realise that either! That sounds like something which should be fixed, though it's not high priority.
Profile Image
but I've had no alerts for them and I have no wings. Maybe I need to fly away..........
Profile Image
So hopefully the problem is fixed.
Profile Image
I'm still not getting them. :(
Profile Image
I'm still not getting them. :(

Me neither!
Profile Image
So hopefully the problem is fixed.

Are you getting individual alerts or the digest form? As far as I know the individual ones have been working all along - though sometimes the timing of the emails seems to be delayed a bit. (If you're getting digest-form notifications, that would suggest that the original problem was fixed, which would be lovely...)

FWIW, I got an individual JE-alert email just yesterday, so whatever's going wrong isn't happening across the board - which is annoying to those for whom it isn't working, and creates headaches in trying to figure out where the problem(s) might be!
Profile Image
I've switched to individual alerts which I thought was the workaround, and I'm getting them for catches but not for releases I think.

Since there's no update from support other than that they're working on it, I assume it's not been fixed, but it's disappointing to get no update.
Profile Image
it's disappointing to get no update.

Well, in case it helps: there is no news. This is not a thing that Support can fix, all we can do is contact Ardik, so that's what has been done; he's looked into it but not found the problem yet, and said he'd probe deeper soon.
That's all we've got for now.
Profile Image
This is not a thing that Support can fix, all we can do is contact Ardik, so that's what has been done; he's looked into it but not found the problem yet, and said he'd probe deeper soon.

Thank you Moem.
Profile Image
I'm still nor reciving anything
Profile Image
I haven't receive alerts for several days although some of my books have been journaled...
Profile Image
I and many BC'ers in the DC area have NOT been getting BC Summary Alerts for at least a couple of weeks. We have checked our alert settings and spam filters. Problem not on our end. We hope the problem will be resolved soon. We all miss our journal alerts. BCinDC group.
Profile Image
Well well! Today I do have a small update.

Today's brief outage was caused by Ardik as he was working to repair the lacking alerts problem. He did not manage to fix it yet, but now we know for sure that he's working on it, which is something. Let's hope Monday brings better news!
Profile Image
Let's hope Monday brings better news!

Fingers crossed. Thanks Moem for keeping us up-to-date.
Profile Image
Excellent news, thanks Moem!
Profile Image
which I've never had before, wings or no wings. They cover books being journalled when received in the mail by other bookcrossers. No wild catches but I don't think I've had any. Oops-yes there was one caught in London after being released by Poodlesister a few days ago and I did get an alert for that.
Profile Image
On Sunday, 2017-12-17, I received a JE
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/#27059988
Thanks, Za-ida. However, two days later still no JE-alert from BC.

In my opinion, the JE alert is one (if not THE) core functionality of BC and therefore the problem should be analyzed and remedied ASAP. At the very least, the community would appreciate a better information flow. What is being done, what is known about the cause, at what time can we expect it to be fixed. Working in IT myself, I'm aware that diagnosis takes as long as it takes, but some progress reports in the meantime would be really useful.
Profile Image
Working in IT myself, I'm aware that diagnosis takes as long as it takes, but some progress reports in the meantime would be really useful.

Ardik is working on it today; I could ask him to stop, and instead to spend his time to write a report about what is being done, what is known about the cause, and at what time can we expect it to be fixed. But I don't see how that would actually be useful... and personally I'd prefer him to keep working on a fix instead.
Profile Image
Ardik is working on it today

Thumbs up!
I could ask him to stop, and instead to spend his time to write a report about what is being done, what is known about the cause, and at what time can we expect it to be fixed.

"Report" doesn't mean a big, multi-volume opus with graphs and all, just a line like the one on top is good enough.
But I don't see how that would actually be useful...

When the community is informed about progress, we can come up with input and diagnostics.
and personally I'd prefer him to keep working on a fix instead.

I fully agree on that.
Thanks to both of you!
Profile Image
I think all we want to know is that it's being worked on, and you've told us that. Thank you! :)
Profile Image
Just keeping an eye on the progress. As of the 19th, I was still not getting alerts. But I haven't had any other JEs, that I know of, since then.

Thanks for all the hard work! :)
Profile Image
But I can see I'm not the only one! I haven't had a JE alert in over a month.

Hopefully is fixed soon :)
Profile Image
On 2017-12-29, I received two JEs
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/#27086593
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/#27086664

But so far, no email alert. Still hoping for improvement in 2018...
Profile Image
This is just a message for supporting Ardik in his search for a solution. I hope he is getting all financial and technical support he needs.

More generally, I hope there is no broader issue at the moment, e.g. an issue with the financial health of the site?

Indeed, as the gist of bookcrossing is to follow our books that are travelling, it seems to me that not receiving alerts is a major problem impacting the whole bookcrossing community. It makes me worried about bookcrossing in general to realize that the staff might only have limited possibilities to solve such a big issue...
Profile Image
Yes, this worried me too.

Ardik, I hope all is going well and thanks for your hard work.
Profile Image
Just an update on my end and also checking in to see if any progress has been made re: Journal Alert emails/Daily Summary Alerts.

I recently changed my setting to Individual Alerts from Daily Summary and have gotten 3 emails in the past week.

However, several BC'ers I know R still not getting the Daily Alert Summaries as of yesterday Jan.14, 2018. I've suggested they change to Indv. alerts to see if that works.

Thank U for your time on this matter
Profile Image
Just an update on my end and also checking in to see if any progress has been made re: Journal Alert emails/Daily Summary Alerts.

I recently changed my setting to Individual Alerts from Daily Summary and have gotten 3 emails in the past week.

However, several BC'ers I know R still not getting the Daily Alert Summaries as of yesterday Jan.14, 2018. I've suggested they change to Indv. alerts to see if that works.

Thank U for your time on this matter

Since I switched to individual alerts, all seems to work quite well. But the daily summary still isn't working, so I keep my settings at individual for now, untill there's a report of 'problem solved'.
Profile Image
Similarly I'm using individual alerts. It's not really a workaround though as they only tell you when your books are caught, not when they're journalled. I have to look at the 'recently journalled' view on the bookshelf for that.
Profile Image
and am not receiving any emails for quite some time....and I'm in the US
Profile Image
Individual alerts are a Wings feature, so it's likely that your account switched back to daily summary when your Wings ran out.
Profile Image
I've never had wings and was still receiving the emails
Profile Image

Your profile shows me that you had Wings until September 19, 2013.
Profile Image

and I've always been getting emails regardless of the wings or not. The point is that the emails about journal entries are not coming through anymore (since I've been with BC) and it was a recent change (last month or so) since I haven't been receiving them not if I had wings or not.
Profile Image

and I've always been getting emails regardless of the wings or not. The point is that the emails about journal entries are not coming through anymore (since I've been with BC) and it was a recent change (last month or so) since I haven't been receiving them not if I had wings or not.

Well lucky you to be getting a wings function without signing up for it.

Profile Image

also-I only had the wings for a very short period of time (whatever the minimal time is)
Profile Image
not alerts for catches or when my books move around without being caught. I have to trawl through my bookshelf to search for any movements.
Profile Image
Until then nothing was coming through except pms. Is the problem still being worked on or do we now have to buy wings to get the alerts?
Profile Image
Until then nothing was coming through except pms. Is the problem still being worked on or do we now have to buy wings to get the alerts?

It's still being worked on
Profile Image

It's still being worked on

Thank you for the update!
Profile Image
switched to individual alerts and I had a JE alert today!

Although hope it is fixed soon as prefer daily digest.
Profile Image
What is needed to fix this issue and stop the rumours of bookcrossing 'being a leaderless spaceship that has been given up by its owners '?
Buy more labels, look for volunteer programmers?
Many enthusiastic users would love to help if only they knew how, at least that's what I get from the thread on the topic on the German forum. :-)
Profile Image
I don't know, but I do know that the people who have been buying Wings and labels are the people who have been keeping the lights on. I cannot possibly overstate how important that is for BookCrossing.

I will pass the question on to Bruce. It's a good one.
Profile Image
I don't know, but I do know that the people who have been buying Wings and labels are the people who have been keeping the lights on. I cannot possibly overstate how important that is for BookCrossing.

I will pass the question on to Bruce. It's a good one.

It would be great if someone from the headquarters could give us some hope that the problems are going to be fixed. At the moment it seems like they do not care very much. I hope to be wrong.
Profile Image
It would be great if someone from the headquarters could give us some hope that the problems are going to be fixed.

I would very much like that, too. I'll see what I can do. I'm not always in contact with HQ as much as I'd prefer.
Profile Image
At the moment it seems like they do not care very much. I hope to be wrong.

maybe you are.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/549588
Profile Image
What is needed to fix this issue and stop the rumours of bookcrossing 'being a leaderless spaceship that has been given up by its owners '?
Buy more labels, look for volunteer programmers?
Many enthusiastic users would love to help if only they knew how, at least that's what I get from the thread on the topic on the German forum. :-)

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to buy yourself some Wings. I notice that you are currently flying naked ;)
It personally irks me when people post demanding fixes and updates on fixes, yet they aren't showing the most basic signs of supporting the site themselves - ie appearing with wings.
Profile Image
J4shaw, I appreciate what you say but on the other hands there are tons of sites featuring I believe less "traffic" than BC, that are free to users and manage to survive, are modern and user-friendly and get upgraded every now and then to catch up with internet era.

I don't blame you personally or anyone but let's face it: Repeating that members should buy wings or whatever when there isn't the slightest improvement on BC site or important issues are not fixed for months, this doesn't motivate people to support the site financially and anyway that's not how most websites run nowadays. It's 2018, not 1995, saying that there is money and effort needed to run a website sounds a bit irksome, BC is not the only site around that needs money or effort to exist, all websites do! But other sites somehow manage to be functional and modern without promoting an attitude to thank powers that be for running them or pointing a finger to users all the time if users point on a malfunction.

Sorry if this sound harsh, it's not that I don't appreciate BC and its people, but on one hand people here keep saying that site needs help, on the other hand when people with IT knowledge offer to help more to the point or ask for a direction, no reply is given.

I'm not the most active BCer and I'm not the best to meet people in person or chat with them all the time, but I know at least 10 people since I joined two years ago who abandoned the site or use it very randomly because they find it neglected and ancient. For what it worths I purchase wings and labels etc from the store every few months, but I don't see if/how much my contributions help the site or not. I think it's the site's turn to do something to attract and "support" members rather than the other way around!
Profile Image
For what it worths I purchase wings and labels etc from the store every few months, but I don't see if/how much my contributions help the site or not.

I can't say it more clearly than I said it four days ago:
the people who have been buying Wings and labels are the people who have been keeping the lights on. I cannot possibly overstate how important that is for BookCrossing.
Profile Image
why BC Headquarters don't come up on the clear?
"We need to set a target of so and so $$$ in order to fix the no-alerts issue" or "to hire three programmers to create a more user-friendly interface" or "to create a decent mobile app". Or "We need 5 volunteers with IT knowledge to work on so and so project"?
Profile Image

A good question, and not one that I can answer, unfortunately.
Profile Image

A good question, and not one that I can answer, unfortunately.

Thanks Moem for all the times you pass info between members and headquarters! I'm sure it is often very frustrating!
Profile Image
Thanks Moem for all the times you pass info between members and headquarters! I'm sure it is often very frustrating!

You are welcome, and thanks for the kind words. I wish I had more to offer.
Profile Image
I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to buy yourself some Wings.

You cannot say that when you don't know the financial situation of an individual.
Profile Image
you don't know the financial situation of the individual.

This is true, let's keep it in mind. And let's all be kind to each other, since we have the same goal: a BookCrossing site that thrives.
Profile Image
I like the labels better, but I admit wings do have an important extra feature now. ;-)
And just thought I'd ask because the topic has been discussed in the German forum for quite some time.
Profile Image
.... that it often seems like some of the most aggressive posts, or shall we say a number of those demanding fixes and being really quite rude in their posts, often appear with no wings. I’m talking in this Bugs forum and also in Feature Requests.
I simply feel that it’s a bit rich being that demanding when there is no sign of that individual supporting the site.

At the time of posting for example “being a leaderless spaceship that has been given up by its owners “ was written by someone not sporting wings. As was “What's the matter that this site gets worse instead of better?”

I’ve said before that more transparency would be ideal, and note that since then a post from BC Support has appeared about server upgrade. Who knows what fabulous things that will bring, who knows what it won’t.
I’m as frustrated as the next guy not knowing what is needed, what helps & what doesn’t, but I (for example) wouldn’t dream of walking into a shop and telling the owner that modernisation need to be done before I’d buy something - if you get my drift.
In short, I’m not telling people they have to buy wings. I’m simply asking those who don’t to be a little more mindful of their open complaining and rather aggressive requests for bug fixes out in the open forums.

and anyway that's not how most websites run nowadays. It's 2018, not 1995, saying that there is money and effort needed to run a website sounds a bit irksome, BC is not the only site around that needs money or effort to exist, all websites do!
I totally disagree that any sites are 100% free to use. Think about those sites you are thinking of. I’ll guess that there are ads running along the side column or similar. Nothing online is “free”. There is a money generator somewhere in there.
Profile Image
I understand what you say, but I don't think people are too aggressive. Maybe pampered by how more or less all websites operate nowadays, so I think people feel frustrated to see that what more or less is a given all over the internet, appears to be some kind of distant fantasy on this site.

Of course ads or other tools are used and nothing online is really free. The point is why BC doesn't use similar money moderators and is left behind its time.

And if after all BC insists to work in this old-fashioned way, based on its users' direct financial support, why that's not clearly communicated?

I think we all like this site, so it's nothing personal here, but I don't find it unreasonable for people to be sharp on their complains sometimes...

But you are right, let's wait and see if Reno's warming up on the site will bring some major improvements in the near future...
Profile Image
.... that it often seems like some of the most aggressive posts, or shall we say a number of those demanding fixes and being really quite rude in their posts, often appear with no wings. I’m talking in this Bugs forum and also in Feature Requests.
I simply feel that it’s a bit rich being that demanding when there is no sign of that individual supporting the site.

At the time of posting for example “being a leaderless spaceship that has been given up by its owners “ was written by someone not sporting wings. As was “What's the matter that this site gets worse instead of better?”

I’ve said before that more transparency would be ideal, and note that since then a post from BC Support has appeared about server upgrade. Who knows what fabulous things that will bring, who knows what it won’t.
I’m as frustrated as the next guy not knowing what is needed, what helps & what doesn’t, but I (for example) wouldn’t dream of walking into a shop and telling the owner that modernisation need to be done before I’d buy something - if you get my drift.
In short, I’m not telling people they have to buy wings. I’m simply asking those who don’t to be a little more mindful of their open complaining and rather aggressive requests for bug fixes out in the open forums.

and anyway that's not how most websites run nowadays. It's 2018, not 1995, saying that there is money and effort needed to run a website sounds a bit irksome, BC is not the only site around that needs money or effort to exist, all websites do!
I totally disagree that any sites are 100% free to use. Think about those sites you are thinking of. I’ll guess that there are ads running along the side column or similar. Nothing online is “free”. There is a money generator somewhere in there.

You are saying there is "no sign of that individual supporting the site". You could say the same about me, at this moment in time.
Profile Image
You could say the same about me, at this moment in time. However I have had wings for years.

But I haven’t. Nor have I felt the need to do simply because I haven’t seen you outwardly call out those who run BC and outwardly slag off the way it’s run either in posts demanding glitch fixes, so I don’t see your point.
My posts are individual direct responses to what individuals have written, not a generalist sweep of opinion of all none Winged members.
Profile Image
Any news on how Ardik is getting on with fixing this, please?
Profile Image
Any news on how Ardik is getting on with fixing this, please?

He has not been able to pinpoint the source of the problem yet, I'm afraid.
Profile Image
Thanks for the update, Moem. Let's hope he can find it soon.
Profile Image
This is a big problem. Without Journal Alert emails Bookcrossing is senseless!
Profile Image
This is a big problem. Without Journal Alert emails Bookcrossing is senseless!

Can't agree there. To me the point of BookCrossing is to share books. If I get a catch that's a bonus, icing on the cake. I love them, but they aren't the only reason I give away books. For myself, I get much pleasure in releasing them.

I release a lot of places that I know I'll never get a catch from, because people don't have computer access, but they still enjoy the books.

And if you really want alerts badly enough, you can pay the $5 to get individual alerts instead of digest until it is fixed. They are working on it.
Profile Image
are so hooked up to the site that you can't get on the shoes of potential new members or people who are not so obsessed with BC. I don't think you try to see BC from an outsider's or newbie's point of view.
Obviously the option of keeping track of a books journey is the main motivation for people to be here, otherwise there wouldn't be a point to sign up. There are tons of other sites such as BookFairies and the like to share books while of course people can simply donate/leave their books around without joining any site. Been able to track the book's adventures and get notified about it is THE draw to be a member of BC!
I understand that often people stick here and are attracted by other features such as Sweepstakes, meet ups etc but this comes later, when people get more involved with BC. This requires deciding to join first of all and stay around for a while too!
Reno himself a few months ago wrote that as all organizations, BC should expand and grow in order to survive, still the site seems to do everything possible to drive people away.
Thumbs up to all of you for sticking up for BC, but hiding behind one's finger doesn't help.
This is not an accusation or anything and it happens often when people get involved on a website/group/community and see things from inside, but honestly, why would someone stick here if even the main "selling point" of the website doesn't work properly?
Profile Image
still the site seems to do everything possible to drive people away.

That's uncharitable. The problem is not that anyone is doing the wrong things; the problem is that the things that need to be done are not getting done. That is a problem, for sure, but a different one.
Profile Image
That's why I wrote it SEEMS Moem. It's an expression, I didn't wrote it literally.
Profile Image
That's why I wrote it SEEMS Moem. It's an expression, I didn't wrote it literally.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I thought you meant it seemed that way to you.

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.