corner corner Book category

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Book category

This is something that has bugged me for a while. Whenever you register a book in bookcrossing, you are required to put in the book category (i.e. horror, nonfiction, etc.) However, when the book is listed, the category is usually changed to some default category. Since this happens, why are we required to put in the category? I'm fine with doing that but don't like to see it changed when the book is posted. Not sure if this issue has been mentioned already.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
This is something that has bugged me for a while. Whenever you register a book in bookcrossing, you are required to put in the book category (i.e. horror, nonfiction, etc.) However, when the book is listed, the category is usually changed to some default category. Since this happens, why are we required to put in the category? I'm fine with doing that but don't like to see it changed when the book is posted. Not sure if this issue has been mentioned already.
Profile Image
It's been mentioned often - something of a sore point {wry grin}.

The situation is that if a newly-registered book happens to match an existing global-overview page, it's likely to be given the category of the books previously registered - I don't know if it grabs the oldest registered copy or the newest or something random. If this happens to match the category you wanted, or one of the other categories that might fit, it's fine, but too often somebody registered a book with a category that's way off, and it can be frustrating when you select a valid category only to find it's been changed to something weird.

Even more frustrating for me: I've noticed that when adding books to the wishlist via the "add new book" button (as opposed to using an existing registered copy and its "add to wishlist" button), we're prompted to select a category, but it doesn't stick - the wish itself has no category. And if that's the first time a particular book is listed on the site, whoever registers a copy is likely to wind up with a blank category field, since that's what was in the wished-for-book's global overview page. (That's been mentioned before too.)

I don't know how complicated it would be to fix those things, but as it's more "annoying" than "breaks the site completely", I doubt it'll become a priority. But, if it helps, you're not alone in noticing and disliking the situation.

Luckily, if you edit your book's details to correct the category, the change will stick, but that doesn't mean the problem won't occur again with a newly-registered book.

If you're the first to register a book - if no other copies are listed on the site, either as wishes or registered - then the category you choose will become the default for that book. Use the power wisely!
Profile Image
Thanks Gory! I figured you might have an answer to this. Guess I'll just continue to live with it. Whenever I register a book, I always go back and change the category if needed. I do add new books to the wishlist sometimes but I always try to use a suitable category.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.