corner corner Date formats

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Date formats

Some of the dates are being written as mm/dd/yyyy instead of dd month yyyy. In North America 2/3/2017 refers to 3 February but in the rest of the world it is 2 March. I hope you are not going to change all our nice dates to the American format.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Some of the dates are being written as mm/dd/yyyy instead of dd month yyyy. In North America 2/3/2017 refers to 3 February but in the rest of the world it is 2 March. I hope you are not going to change all our nice dates to the American format.
Profile Image
This has already been reported in another thread ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/539307 ). I'm guessing it's a side effect of the site-tweaking currently going on, and should - I hope - be fixed soon.
Profile Image
Personally I think the way to avoid confusion or annoyance of anyone is to just show Jan or Feb, etc in the date field. Then we can all read it without problems.
Profile Image
Personally I think the way to avoid confusion or annoyance of anyone is to just show Jan or Feb, etc in the date field. Then we can all read it without problems.

Except those who don't understand English abbreviations can't.
Profile Image

Except those who don't understand English abbreviations can't.

If it can be fed into the translation mechanism, that should not be a problem. Just like to me, this thread was started '6 mnd geleden', not '6 months ago'.
Profile Image

On that note

If it can be fed into the translation mechanism, that should not be a problem. Just like to me, this thread was started '6 mnd geleden', not '6 months ago'.

I miss having the actual date on the forum posts (or is it my imagination that we could see that before?) - sometimes the "7 months ago', etc. is very approximate.
Profile Image
I miss having the actual date on the forum posts (or is it my imagination that we could see that before?) - sometimes the "7 months ago', etc. is very approximate.

Yes, we used to have the actual date on forum posts. I wish we still did.

The "x ago" references are vague and the further back in time it goes, the vaguer it gets. "1 day ago" means any time between 1 and 2 days, "1 week ago" is some time between 1 and 2 weeks, "1 month ago" is some time between 1 and 2 months and "1 year ago" is between 1 and 2 years. When it gets to those sorts of time frames (years), it's so vague as to be basically useless.
Profile Image

I agree. I also request a return to an actual date. Pretty please.

And that is be in the format January 12, not 1-12 or 12-1, since they are both confusing to half our population
Profile Image
And that is be in the format January 12, not 1-12 or 12-1, since they are both confusing to half our population

Make it day, month, year, which is the least confusing to the majority of the world, and the most common format world wide. Or the more logical year, month, day. But not the illogical Month, day, year, not used in most of the world.
Profile Image
Make it day, month, year, which is the least confusing to the majority of the world, and the most common format world wide. Or the more logical year, month, day. But not the illogical Month, day, year, not used in most of the world.

But as long as different date formats are used around the world, I think or would be better to write the month with letters instead of numbers. OR make it possible to choose the preferred dateformate in the profile.
Profile Image
But as long as different date formats are used around the world, I think or would be better to write the month with letters instead of numbers. OR make it possible to choose the preferred dateformate in the profile.

Agreed.
Profile Image
... and some people are talking past each other because it's not always clear which of these two issues they're talking about:

- Sort order of the items month, year and day.
- Whether months are stated as a number or as a word (or abbreviation).

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.