corner corner Uploading picture to journal entry

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Uploading picture to journal entry

Has been been any tinkering to the way pictures are saved when they are uploaded to journal entries?

I have noticed today that pictures upload and save fine on the first attempt. However, with one journal entry I accidentally uploaded the wrong picture. I removed the incorrect image and uploaded the right one. A thumbnail for the old, incorrect picture is still there. However, if I click on the thumbnail, the full sized correct picture appears. Will the thumbnail change and how long might it take?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14397190

I am also having problems with the orientation with some pictures. These are pictures that I have taken with my smartphone. I upload them directly from the phone and they appear "sideways". In the past, this has not been a problem as I save them later to my laptop, adjust the orientation and then reupload them. That fixes the problem.

However, this is not working today. I adjust the orientation as usual on my laptop and reupload them but the new picture still appears sideways.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14394567

I admit that I am a photo fan. I like having them to show both the cover and the release zone and having "skew whiff" pictures is driving me batty!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Has been been any tinkering to the way pictures are saved when they are uploaded to journal entries?

I have noticed today that pictures upload and save fine on the first attempt. However, with one journal entry I accidentally uploaded the wrong picture. I removed the incorrect image and uploaded the right one. A thumbnail for the old, incorrect picture is still there. However, if I click on the thumbnail, the full sized correct picture appears. Will the thumbnail change and how long might it take?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14397190/

I am also having problems with the orientation with some pictures. These are pictures that I have taken with my smartphone. I upload them directly from the phone and they appear "sideways". In the past, this has not been a problem as I save them later to my laptop, adjust the orientation and then reupload them. That fixes the problem.

However, this is not working today. I adjust the orientation as usual on my laptop and reupload them but the new picture still appears sideways.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14394567/

I admit that I am a photo fan. I like having them to show both the cover and the release zone and having "skew whiff" pictures is driving me batty!
Profile Image
All your pictures look identical to the thumbnails when I look at them, and nothing is sideways either.
Profile Image
All your pictures look identical to the thumbnails when I look at them, and nothing is sideways either.

Aah, but it depends on which books you're looking at! I've released about 30 books in the last 36 hours and the photos for 20 of these books are fine. I used photos that were already saved on my laptop. These 20 books make up nearly all the books on the first page of my bookshelf.

The books with the sideways issue mostly occur at the bottom of the first page and on the current second page. I took your advice, cleared my cache (twice for good measure!), turned my laptop off and on and cleared the cache again. And I'm still seeing some of the photos sideways.

The weird thing is that I've been using the same method to upload my photos for 3-4 years now (using the same phone, laptop and software) and today is quite literally the first time I've encountered any problems.

I guess I'll wait a couple of days and see if the website "comes good" of its own accord, as it sometimes does!
Profile Image
Aah, but it depends on which books you're looking at!

I looked at the ones you gave us the links for. I assumed that those were the ones you had problems with.
Profile Image
I finally was able to upload a book cover to my journal entry just now...after weeks of being unable to do so.
Profile Image

RE: Thank you!

I finally was able to upload a book cover to my journal entry just now...

That surprises me. I know whe've had problems with selecting book covers from Amazon and having them appear on our books (which should be at least partially fixed by now), but this is the first I've heard of problems with either uploading our own cover images to the book's details, or adding images to journal entries.
Are you sure one of these is what you meant?

(I'm not notpicking for the sake of it; when troubleshooting, these details matter.)
Profile Image
but this is the first I've heard of problems with either uploading our own cover images to the book's details, or adding images to journal entries.

I don't know about SqueakyChu, but all the time that the site wouldn't automatically load a picture or give me images to pick from I was always able to add one that I found on Google or Library Thing or a photo I took of my book when neither was available.

I haven't tried putting one in a journal entry in quite a while, but last I knew that worked fine.

Profile Image
I haven't tried putting one in a journal entry in quite a while, but last I knew that worked fine.

My original problem (at the start of the thread) is not about adding book covers but adding photos to journal entries.

I can add a photo just fine but can't seem to change it later if there's a problem. For example, if I've accidentally uploaded the wrong photo or the photo's rotated 90°. I remove a photo and upload the new version and all I can see is the old version, even if I've cleared my cache.

It's a new problem for me, first noticed a couple of days ago. I last used the same technique three weeks ago and it worked fine then.

Having said that, Moem reports seeing the photos correctly in the examples I've mentioned so I haven't quite worked out what my problem is!
Profile Image
I can add a photo just fine but can't seem to change it later if there's a problem. For example, if I've accidentally uploaded the wrong photo or the photo's rotated 90°. I remove a photo and upload the new version and all I can see is the old version, even if I've cleared my cache.

I had this happen with a recent release. I had uploaded a generic release jpg, but when I tried to replace it with my release photo, it wouldn't. I could remove the jpg. And I could upload my photo - at least the site said it uploaded. But when I went to view it, it was the jpg again. Tried multiple times, refreshed the page, waited for maybe some kind of an update to happen - nothing. Next day I tried a different browser & it worked perfectly. So, I don't know if it was due to time or the browser change, but now I know how to make it work.

Profile Image

I had this happen with a recent release. I had uploaded a generic release jpg, but when I tried to replace it with my release photo, it wouldn't. I could remove the jpg. And I could upload my photo - at least the site said it uploaded. But when I went to view it, it was the jpg again. Tried multiple times, refreshed the page, waited for maybe some kind of an update to happen - nothing. Next day I tried a different browser & it worked perfectly. So, I don't know if it was due to time or the browser change, but now I know how to make it work.

That might be an idea. Just out of interest, what browsers did you use? And when you changed the image in the second browser, how did it look back in the first browser?
Profile Image
Just out of interest, what browsers did you use? And when you changed the image in the second browser, how did it look back in the first browser?

The first browser was Firefox 48.0.2 (old, I know) for Mac, & the 2nd browser was Safari 5.1.10. And after I successfully uploaded the image using Safari, I could immediately view it in Firefox just fine.

Hope this helps!

Profile Image
The first browser was Firefox 48.0.2 (old, I know) for Mac, & the 2nd browser was Safari 5.1.10. And after I successfully uploaded the image using Safari, I could immediately view it in Firefox just fine.

I usually use Firefox on my laptop. Not sure of the version but I think it's the most recent one. I've tried uploading images using both Internet Explorer, Chrome plus whatever browser's on my iPhone (some version of Safari?) with no success - the images still looked wonky.

I'm tempted to try Safari 5.1.10 for my last attempt although I'm not sure if there's a version available for Windows. I think these photos have taken up much more of my attention than they're probably worth!
Profile Image
I think these photos have taken up much more of my attention than they're probably worth!

I wish you success! I know when I get stymied, it brings out the stubborn side of me, & I have to keep at it until I conquer the problem.

Profile Image
I like to upload pictures on my journal entries. I am very old fashion when it comes to IT/technology and often I use a good old camera to take pictures, then go on a desk top PC, connect my camera to said PC and upload themthat way. Or I save some pictures on my desk top PC/laptop and upload from there. Sometimes there are glitches on this which I keep facing since I joined BC last May, nothing new here. If you play around a bit and/or wait a bit, those issues are fixed.
For example once I uploaded a picture on a journal entry and then decide to replace with an other. The first picture I wanted removed showed on the thumbnail for several days while when clicking on it the new picture was showing alright. This lasted for several days before problem was fixed somehow by itsself. I faced same problem sometimes, but when refreshing the page picture would appear alright or I had to wait a couple of hours but then it was fine. Having to wait for several days was new to me, but I didn't swet a lot about it...
At first those kind of glitches were getting on my nerves. Now I've learned to just wait and see what happens.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14247168#26146901
Yesterday I uploaded a picture for this JE. That worked fine (it shows the cathedral in Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany). Somewhat later I found out that this ray would set a new record for the distance I propelled a book through space, so I wanted to replace it with a screenshot displaying a map.

That did not work. I tried to upload the new pic - the old one remained stuck. I deleted the old one (that resulted in a JE without a pic - works as designed) and uploaded the new one from another folder under another name - no success, the pic reappeared, but not the intended new one; instead, the original pic reappeared. Then I deleted the pic again (that worked), let the issue rest over night to give possible housekeeping jobs a chance and tried again in the morning, with yet another name for the map. The original pic is shown again, forced cache reload does not change a thing.

?!?!?!
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14247168#26146901
Yesterday I uploaded a picture for this JE. That worked fine (it shows the cathedral in Bamberg, Bavaria, Germany). Somewhat later I found out that this ray would set a new record for the distance I propelled a book through space, so I wanted to replace it with a screenshot displaying a map.

That did not work. I tried to upload the new pic - the old one remained stuck. I deleted the old one (that resulted in a JE without a pic - works as designed) and uploaded the new one from another folder under another name - no success, the pic reappeared, but not the intended new one; instead, the original pic reappeared. Then I deleted the pic again (that worked), let the issue rest over night to give possible housekeeping jobs a chance and tried again in the morning, with yet another name for the map. The original pic is shown again, forced cache reload does not change a thing.

?!?!?!

The map is now on the journal entry, just a problem with the server being a bit slow, or the browser keeping too long the old version. At least I see it now.
Profile Image
The map is now on the journal entry, just a problem with the server being a bit slow, or the browser keeping too long the old version. At least I see it now.

Curiouser and curiouser...

For me, there's still the original pic of the cathedral - with my FF (which is logged on to the site) as well as with IE (which is not logged in).

However, if I click on the thumbnail showing the cathedral, the full-size pic of the map is displayed. This seems more like magic rather than data processing. Maybe we need to ask a unicorn about the solution ;-)
Profile Image

Curiouser and curiouser...

For me, there's still the original pic of the cathedral - with my FF (which is logged on to the site) as well as with IE (which is not logged in). This seems more like magic rather than data processing....

There's a similar thing that was discussed on one of the forums, the person that changed the picture didn't see it changed, most other could, some not, depending on the settings. Do you use a proxy-server for your web? Could explain it.
Profile Image
Do you use a proxy-server for your web? Could explain it.

Definetely.
Profile Image
Now the correct thumbnail is displayed; seems everything has settled in after a few hours of patience.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.