corner corner US vs European date format

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

US vs European date format

I notice the dates now show in the US format (2/17/2017) as opposed to either the month (Feb 17) or European format (17/2/2017). Is there any way to change this? I tried to see if it was an option on the profile page (and discovered the problem with the link to edit the profile, but was able to use the workaround suggested here). It's not a huge deal, but I have to say that if you're used to one format, it's really annoying to suddenly have the other, especially when dealing with dates like 10/2 (February 10th for me, presumably October 2nd for others?). Using the month as opposed to a number avoids this issue.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I notice the dates now show in the US format (2/17/2017) as opposed to either the month (Feb 17) or European format (17/2/2017). Is there any way to change this? I tried to see if it was an option on the profile page (and discovered the problem with the link to edit the profile, but was able to use the workaround suggested here). It's not a huge deal, but I have to say that if you're used to one format, it's really annoying to suddenly have the other, especially when dealing with dates like 10/2 (February 10th for me, presumably October 2nd for others?). Using the month as opposed to a number avoids this issue.
Profile Image
It's not a huge deal, but I have to say that if you're used to one format, it's really annoying to suddenly have the other, especially when dealing with dates like 10/2 (February 10th for me, presumably October 2nd for others?). Using the month as opposed to a number avoids this issue.

I keep confusing myself about the dates if they're shown the "American way" (2/11 for February 11). Even if I know, I often have to look twice and see if I see a date that contains a number between 13 and 31 to be sure about the date.

I would prefer to see the dates containing the month spelled out (Feb(ruary) 11), rather than in numbers, regardless of the format (11/2 or 11/2). OR have an option in our profile to choose how we want the dates to be shown.
Profile Image
It's rest of world date format. We have day, month, year in Australia too.

Actually, I have thought that possibly the most logical date order is Year, Month, Day, but NEVER the very localised use of Month, Day, Year, that isn't used in most places.
Profile Image
I would go so far to say that it's 'US American date format' versus 'normal date format'. Reno surely has bigger fish to fry right now, but apart from that I agree.
Profile Image
I wasn't sure about the rest of the world, so spoke from my experience. (Although I think I've seen some Scandanavians - maybe Swedes - use something close to what goldenwattle is recommending - year first).
Profile Image
I notice the dates now show in the US format (2/17/2017) as opposed to either the month (Feb 17) or European format (17/2/2017). Is there any way to change this?

I think the words that stand out for me are "now show". Has it been possible to see the dates in non-US format? All the dates I see are the US format and always have been ever since I first joined Bookcrossing. Being used to the "rest of the world" format, I've always had to consciously check the date to make sure I'm reading it properly!
Profile Image
I think that non-English sites might have had the date in international style, but all the English world had to suffer a back to front date.
Profile Image
I notice the dates now show in the US format (2/17/2017) as opposed to either the month (Feb 17) or European format (17/2/2017). Is there any way to change this?

I think the words that stand out for me are "now show". Has it been possible to see the dates in non-US format? All the dates I see are the US format and always have been ever since I first joined Bookcrossing. Being used to the "rest of the world" format, I've always had to consciously check the date to make sure I'm reading it properly!

To be honest, I pondered this long and hard, but could not check back. This being said, given my reaction to the format, I am quite sure I would have noticed eons ago if there had not been a shift. As I register my books once read at Goodreads, after entering my journal, I always check to see when I first got the book. It was while doing this the other day, since the "new look", that I realized I had a date I had to think hard about.
Profile Image
Personally I think the way to avoid confusion or annoyance of anyone is to just show Jan or Feb, etc in the date field. Then we can all read it without problems.
Profile Image
even if it's not as dire a problem as some of the others listed here...
Profile Image

If only...

If only there was an international standard for dealing with dates in an international context.... (hint, there is: ISO 8601: https://en.wikipedia.org/---/ISO_8601 & https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime)
Profile Image
hint, there is: ISO 8601: https://en.wikipedia.org/---/ISO_8601 & https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime)

Thanks for bringing this up. It's my favorite date format, not least because it allows even the dumbest system to come up with a correct chronological sort order.

For decades, I've used yyyy-mm-dd whenever the system or the template will allow me to do so.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.