corner corner Cover images of books

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Cover images of books

Until recently ALL the books on my list had covers. Now I find that a number of them have suddenly lost their covers. I replaced the covers of the books that I registered, but now it seems I cannot (which I could do recently) update the cover of books I didn't register. This is annoying. Why have the covers suddenly gone missing, and why can't I still update the covers? What's great about books having no covers? Looks really unprofessional when a new person catches them.

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
Until recently ALL the books on my list had covers. Now I find that a number of them have suddenly lost their covers. I replaced the covers of the books that I registered, but now it seems I cannot (which I could do recently) update the cover of books I didn't register. This is annoying. Why have the covers suddenly gone missing, and why can't I still update the covers? What's great about books having no covers? Looks really unprofessional when a new person catches them.
Profile Image
Why have the covers suddenly gone missing

Could be a problem with Amazon, which is where they come from.

What's great about books having no covers?

Is that sarcasm? I think I've heard of that.

Please keep in mind that many of us live in places where there's no Amazon, and often no cover pictures at all, unless we upload them ourselves.

I don't know whether the loophole/bug to update covers on books that others have registered has been fixed, but I doubt it; that sounds like a glitch. If I were you I'd wait a bit and see whether your lost covers pop up again.
Profile Image
I did wait several days. Many books come without covers, but I photograph them and add them, and I don't like that wasted work, although I am suspicious the books that had missing covers are not those I replaced, as I couldn't find their covers in my cover file.
It appears the loophole has been got rid of :( :( :(
Profile Image
The books must be with you.
Profile Image
None of the books I add have covers. This is not normal. Why can I not retrieve covers from any of the given sources? Please check into this. Thank you very much!
Profile Image
I've had this problem, too. Maybe Amazon made some changes and we need to adapt to that? In any case, I'll pass it on.
Profile Image
In any case, I'll pass it on.

Good to know, thank you :-)
I had the coverproblem on monday and a few german bookcrossers mentioned it in the german forum as well. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/537281/
Profile Image
what's just happened with the three books I've registered this afternoon!

First, I found them using the ISBN and selected the version that showed the copy I was registering.

When I went to my bookshelf, after registering all three, all three showed blue No Cover Images.

In each case I clicked Update Cover and was told they didn't know what I was talking about.

But when I clicked the Global Overview world I got 3 different results for the three books :
a) an Amazon review
b) a Google overview
c) a report that Amazon had no reviews to give me
but in all three cases the correct covers were showing with the review or lack thereof.

For a) and b) I copied and pasted the review/overview into my regististration JE and the cover changed.

c) stayed with the blue No Cover, until I got really sneaky and copied and pasted the unhelpful 'there is no review comment', and it all magically changed. Needless to say, I've now deleted the useless comment - fortunately without losing the updated, correct cover image.

I'm hoping this info might help someone who might be looking into cover images and their weird quirks ..... :-)
Profile Image
Yes, my cover images aren't showing up either while registering new books. I've never had this problem before. Good to know it isn't just me!
Profile Image
I just go to LibraryThing or search the ISBN on the internet, grab the picture I want and upload it. That works fine and easily, since the site no longer finds them itself. It takes a little time, but it doesn't feel complicated at all.

The odd thing, to me, is that when I search with the ISBN to register the book, it shows me the correct cover image, but then when I select that book and register it, the site no longer has the cover that it just showed me when I was searching. No short term memory I guess.
Profile Image
I just go to LibraryThing or search the ISBN on the internet, grab the picture I want and upload it. That works fine and easily, since the site no longer finds them itself. It takes a little time, but it doesn't feel complicated at all.

I meant that trying to explain what happened was complicated, not the doing of it! What I found interesting is that I didn't grab the picture as such (my next move would have been to scan in the actual cover) but that the cover updated when I copied and pasted something else!
The odd thing, to me, is that when I search with the ISBN to register the book, it shows me the correct cover image, but then when I select that book and register it, the site no longer has the cover that it just showed me when I was searching. No short term memory I guess.

Exactly! But apparently I jogged its memory .... :-)
Profile Image
And now it seems to have stopped showing me the image when I'm registering (sporadically), so no short or long term memory!
Profile Image
I just go to LibraryThing..

I can do that as well, but most folks here will not do that.

To everyone here who works on these problems...Happy Holidays! Thank you for what you do to keep this site up and running well.
Profile Image
Do you mean that you just copied and pasted the text?
Profile Image
Do you mean that you just copied and pasted the text?

Yes, weird isn't it?
Profile Image
Didn't work for me unfortunately.
Profile Image
Just registered my first book since this bug appeared and BINGO! - the same problem. Hope it will get fixed soon since sometimes one does not remember the title/author of a book but one's mind's eye still recalls the cover.
Profile Image
It shows me the image when I register, then it disappears when I've made the entry. Only seems to stay there when I google the cover images and upload it manually.
Profile Image
It shows me the image when I register, then it disappears when I've made the entry. Only seems to stay there when I google the cover images and upload it manually.

Well yeah, it's happening to everyone. There's something wrong at the site.
Profile Image
Yup...same problem here. I can "update cover" and upload a book cover myself, but the last 3 I did, the images are really blurry. It's not easy to find a high res image of a book cover, and I'm not about to start using my scanner for every cover! Anyway, BX'ing support is great, and got back to me within a day, saying this bug was one of those at the top of the "fix" list.
Profile Image
Yup...same problem here. I can "update cover" and upload a book cover myself, but the last 3 I did, the images are really blurry. It's not easy to find a high res image of a book cover, and I'm not about to start using my scanner for every cover! Anyway, BX'ing support is great, and got back to me within a day, saying this bug was one of those at the top of the "fix" list.

The images come up blurry. But if you then refresh the screen, they get better. I don't know why but it seems to work. Try it.
Profile Image
Glad I'm not the only one.
Profile Image
When I register the book, the cover is shown, but will not appear in the journal automatically. Upload journal entry pic also does not work.
Profile Image
That's odd! I do not get a cover pic when registering, but I can upload them just fine. Something is different between you and me.
Profile Image
When I register the book, the cover is shown, but will not appear in the journal automatically. Upload journal entry pic also does not work.

Are you sure you are uploading a file extension that is supported? I noticed before I can't upload .png files, but can upload .jpg or .gif. Maybe that is the difference here.
Profile Image
I noticed before I can't upload .png files, but can upload .jpg or .gif.

This too is odd... I can upload .png and .jpg, but not .gif.
Profile Image
I got an answer from BookCrossing Support:

"We're not really sure what the problem is, but we are working on it! Sorry for the inconvenience!"
Profile Image
I got an answer from BookCrossing Support:

"We're not really sure what the problem is, but we are working on it! Sorry for the inconvenience!"

Good to know. I am working around it but it is very cumbersome. :(

Thank you to the support folks for all your hard work: you are appreciated and I'm not complaining..I'm sure you're doing your best and I wish you luck in diagnosing what is going on!
Profile Image
There were 5 books I had registered recently that weren't showing covers. I used Nu-Knees trick on three of them but then the remaining two that didn't work. I used the covers from LibraryThing for those two. It is annoying to have to do all this cutting, pasting etc. Hope the issue is found soon and corrected.
Profile Image
When I registered Turn of the Screw, I selected the version where the cover matched my book, but on my shelves after registering, it showed only a "no cover image" book. However, by the next day, the proper cover was showing.

It happened again today when I registered Lament for a Lady Laird, so I'll watch & see if the picture cover shows up tomorrow.
Profile Image
I had the same experience up to the point "by the next day, the proper cover was showing." So maybe I'll wait a day and see if the proper images show up.
Profile Image
I may be out of luck this time, as it's been 2 days now and Lament for a Lady Laird still doesn't have her proper cover :o)
Profile Image
I have been having the same problem with the covers not loading when registering books.
Profile Image
Thanks for the tip. However, with all my other commitments, I just don't have the time to continue registering new books. I am going to give it a rest, except for books I want to re!ease, until the problem is resolved.
Profile Image

same issue

I have been having this problem too. Will wait patiently.
Profile Image
Lots of old covers have gone missing. All the books I registered had covers. Reading about cover issues, and experiencing them myself when registering, I went through my bookshelf the other day, and about a third of my books were coverless. Uploaded my own instead of linking them to any of the booksellers; we'll see if that helps in the long run.
Profile Image
Lots of old covers have gone missing. All the books I registered had covers. Reading about cover issues, and experiencing them myself when registering, I went through my bookshelf the other day, and about a third of my books were coverless. Uploaded my own instead of linking them to any of the booksellers; we'll see if that helps in the long run.

I noticed the same issue with some old covers quite a while ago. Like you, all the books I register have a cover. I generally upload the cover myself as I noticed years ago that sometimes the supplied Amazon cover disappears after a while, presumably after they update their database.

However, I occasionally come across "disappeared covers" for books where I know I uploaded the cover myself. It involves books registered during a specific time period several years ago. I haven't gone back and made a concerted effort to reupload them all (too time consuming) but I do it for individual books as I come across them.

PS I should add that I generally upload two copies of the cover picture - one at the top with the other book information and another in the first journal entry. That way I still have one copy of the cover if the other disappears!
Profile Image
I generally upload two copies of the cover picture - one at the top with the other book information and another in the first journal entry. That way I still have one copy of the cover if the other disappears!

I wondered why some people do that. I've noticed duplicates in the first JE and wondered why, since they were the same image. Now I know and it makes perfect sense.
Profile Image
I haven't gone back and made a concerted effort to reupload them all (too time consuming) but I do it for individual books as I come across them.

PS I should add that I generally upload two copies of the cover picture - one at the top with the other book information and another in the first journal entry. That way I still have one copy of the cover if the other disappears!

Yes, I do this too: both the "two copies" of the image and replacing the generics when I find them.

I hadn't noticed any disappearances, but then, I haven't been looking, either.
Profile Image
On a book swap site I frequent, I notice that they're saying that books uploaded using the 13-digit ISBN are having their covers replaced with the generic cover used for Kindle images. The ones uploaded using the 10-digit ISBN are OK.

Profile Image
Yes, I agree, it almost certainly is.
Profile Image
On a book swap site I frequent, I notice that they're saying that books uploaded using the 13-digit ISBN are having their covers replaced with the generic cover used for Kindle images. The ones uploaded using the 10-digit ISBN are OK.

Interesting. I generally use the 10-digit ISBN when I can - fewer digits to type in. ;)
Profile Image
and now?
what's going on?
Profile Image
Covers still not showing when registering books. This has been happening since before Xmas. Covers are there when searching by ISBN so it doesn't seem to be a problem with Amazon but only the generic cover appears when the entry is saved. Annoying to have to find and manually upload cover images.
Profile Image
Unfortunately I haven't been able yet to figure out what's behind that issue.

I hope to resolve that next week. I'm sorry there's no chance I can further look into that earlier. :-(

When experimenting I found funny results, though.
I registered one of SqueakyChu's books w/o cover image myself and also wasn't able to add a cover to it (except plain upload, probably, which I didn't try since that's apparently not broken, anyway).
But when I afterwards went back to SqueakyChu's book and reloaded the page, poof, the cover image was there. *scratchesHead*
Profile Image
thanks for the information! :-)
Profile Image

Thanks for letting us know you're working on this Ardik.

I get funny results myself. Today, I could get no cover images when loading books. However, later in the evening about half of the covers were there. The covers that magically appeared hours later were both on the book's journal and on the bookshelf page. Very weird!
Profile Image
My friend wilderwoman told me that she had released 6 books recently, 5 of which had cover images. When she went back to the site a few days later to add the missing image, all six were gone. I told her some people had covers re-appear, but last time I checked with her, hers had not done so.
Profile Image
Unfortunately I haven't been able yet to figure out what's behind that issue.

I hope to resolve that next week. I'm sorry there's no chance I can further look into that earlier. :-(

I registered one of SqueakyChu's books w/o cover image myself and also wasn't able to add a cover to it (except plain upload, probably, which I didn't try since that's apparently not broken, anyway).
But when I afterwards went back to SqueakyChu's book and reloaded the page, poof, the cover image was there. *scratchesHead*

Odd.

Thanks for looking into it: I know I'm not alone in eagerly awaiting a resolution to this perplexing issue.

Haven't been able to work Nu-Knees's trick..and haven't had any covers magically appear either, sadly. Fortunately, my scanner & I are on good terms at the moment, although it is time-consuming. :(
Profile Image
Haven't been able to work Nu-Knees's trick..

I still find it hard to believe but it happened and those covers have stuck so far!
Profile Image

I still find it hard to believe but it happened and those covers have stuck so far!

Perhaps it doesn't work for me because it seems so unlikely - not that I'm doubting you, but apparently *I *don't have enough faith. :p
Profile Image

And today I had my first failure! Up to and including yesterday my incredible fluke kept on fluking .... but today I had one success and one failure with the two books I registered! Goodness only (and the BookCrossing gremlins perhaps) knows why :-)
Profile Image
Goodness only (and the BookCrossing gremlins perhaps) knows why :-)

Reno is busy tweaking things, so we may see some changes and oddness over the next few days.
Profile Image
Reno is busy tweaking things

Happy tweaking, lad! Happy tweaking! :-)
Profile Image
which had expired just before Christmas. As for the problem - same as for some others - I'd see an image while registering (not always the correct one, by the way) and then once fully registered, no cover image. Today I was finally able to renew my wings but then discovered it had no impact on the images. (I didn't remember this quirk in the past, but usually I renewed much more promptly, so figured I hadn't registered any books in the meantime when my wings had expired in previous years).
I hope this is resolved soon - it's strange.
On a slightly different topic, I've never been able to update covers of books I didn't register myself - I always assumed that was normal? or are (were) others able to do this?
Profile Image
On a slightly different topic, I've never been able to update covers of books I didn't register myself - I always assumed that was normal? or are (were) others able to do this?

This was never an intentional feature, but it seems that there is - or was - a sequence of actions that could make it work.
Profile Image

This was never an intentional feature, but it seems that there is - or was - a sequence of actions that could make it work.

I've never been able to do it for someone else's book either. If the cover image doesn't match but I'm not the person who registered the book, I just try to scan the actual cover and include it in my journal entry for my own sake, so I can remember what it looked like.
Profile Image

As long as a book is on your shelf, you can update its cover - all you have to do is to search for the book (check the "My Shelf Only" box on the Advanced tab). The result will provide an option "update cover". Many's the times I've used this if the person originally registering the book could not provide a cover - or used the wrong one.
Profile Image

As long as a book is on your shelf, you can update its cover - all you have to do is to search for the book (check the "My Shelf Only" box on the Advanced tab). The result will provide an option "update cover". Many's the times I've used this if the person originally registering the book could not provide a cover - or used the wrong one.

Yes but it is too time consuming when registering new books. My unregistered pile is getting bigger :-) looking on the positive side though as tbr isn't ha ha ha
Profile Image
Well, no "update cover" shows for books that somebody else has registered in my shelf.
Profile Image
Well, no "update cover" shows for books that somebody else has registered in my shelf.

Exactly.
Profile Image
Same here, it's only there for books I registered. Which makes sense, you wouldn't want a book in the wild to have some weird cover image put up by a prankster.
Profile Image

Thanks for this. I've always wondered how to update those covers! I've generally had to resort to just uploading the correct cover as an image in my journal entry, but now I can do it right. Yay!

I notice, tho, that it still shows up wrong on my profile page & in my bookshelf listing. Will that update after some little time, or am I only able to get it updated on the actual book's page?

Profile Image
There is nothing like having something that was working stop working to make you appreciate what you had before you lost it. It is just time consuming to have to look up a picture or scan one. I hope the problem can be figured out. I miss the convenience of just clicking on the button and having the image show up or going to update the image and finding the image there. Asking God to bless whoever is working on this problem.
Profile Image
Looking forward to this issue being resolved too but I suspect the Almighty has bigger issues with which to concern him/herself.
Profile Image
I second that motion :) Have faith!
Profile Image
Today I was so excited when I looked at my profile and saw a recently registered book with a cover! And then scrolled down my shelf to see it was a alone in its glory - none of my other recently registered books had covers, nor could I update and create them. I've just registered a few more - same old same old, no cover. I do hope this gets fixed soon - but am perplexed as to how one out of the dozen or so recently registered books is suddenly sporting colors.
Profile Image

Ditto

I too am having the same problem with covers not appearing. When I am registering the book the cover appears in the search but after that no cover.
Profile Image

A surprise!

A book I registered two weeks ago suddenly has a cover this morning. The other books I registered the same day are still blank.
Profile Image
A book I registered two weeks ago suddenly has a cover this morning.

I hope I get some too - I'm getting really tired of all those little running books everywhere :o)
Profile Image
I was having the same problem in the last few days and it looks like some incarnation of this has been going on awhile. Like others, I see the image when I search as part of the registration process but it disappears once the book is actually registered.

I tried some of the fixes in the earlier thread posts but none but one seemed to work. If I save the image when displayed (or go to Amazon to get one better) and then upload the saved image? All seems well. It is an extra step and sort of a pain but so for it is working.
Profile Image
I was having the same problem in the last few days and it looks like some incarnation of this has been going on awhile. Like others, I see the image when I search as part of the registration process but it disappears once the book is actually registered.

I tried some of the fixes in the earlier thread posts but none but one seemed to work. If I save the image when displayed (or go to Amazon to get one better) and then upload the saved image? All seems well. It is an extra step and sort of a pain but so for it is working.

I do the same with images from library thing, as previously had been suggested in this forum. I did them some weeks ago and they do remain in there.
Like you say it is a pain so my stack of unregistered books is getting higher and higher. until I REALLY need to add them to BC that is where they will stay :-(
Profile Image
Like you say it is a pain so my stack of unregistered books is getting higher and higher. until I REALLY need to add them to BC that is where they will stay :-(

I haven't stopped registering books - I'd get way too far behind {wry grin} - but I have limited my manual-cover-update to the three most recent books (as those show on my profile page by default) and to the ones I'm actually releasing. All the to-be-read ones can stay coverless until I release them, or (with any luck) until the problem is fixed and either the covers update automatically or can be updated via the update-cover button without having to save the image first.

FWIW, when I do manually update the covers that I know already have Amazon pics, my procedure is to click on the bookseller/Amazon link to bring up that page (by default this comes up in a new tab), then click on the cover image, then right-click to save-image-to-file on my computer. Then back to the tab with the book on it, click on update-cover, select upload-image, and fetch the file I just saved. It's actually quicker than it sounds, as I've set up a "BCcovers" file-folder (originally for scans of covers that *weren't* available online) and the various save-to and upload-from procedures default to that.
Profile Image
I can see the book's cover image, but then it doesn't upload when I register it. i cannot do the "save and upload" thing because of the sheer number of books I register. It's simply too time-consuming.

Thank you for continuing to work on this problem (I hope!).
Profile Image
is that they're working on the much more serious problem of the Supply Store not working before the more minor problem of covers not showing.
Profile Image
Maybe you all were smart enough to be doing this already. I was finishing the registration, then searching for the cover image.

But, when that image comes up during the registration process (the one that later disappears) you can save it right then, finish registering, then edit the cover image to add it. Saves having to search on LibraryThing or Google, etc, afterwards, if the correct image shows.

My problem is half the time I forget to capture it before I select the book and by then it's too late.
Profile Image
Maybe you all were smart enough to be doing this already. I was finishing the registration, then searching for the cover image.

But, when that image comes up during the registration process (the one that later disappears) you can save it right then, finish registering, then edit the cover image to add it. Saves having to search on LibraryThing or Google, etc, afterwards, if the correct image shows.

My problem is half the time I forget to capture it before I select the book and by then it's too late.

Thank you!!!!! I will start doing it that way. Maybe I will make a dent in my unregistered pile too ;-)
Profile Image
But, when that image comes up during the registration process (the one that later disappears) you can save it right then

Heh! I never thought of that - so silly, as it's *right there*!
Profile Image
Heh! I never thought of that - so silly, as it's *right there*!

Something's changed. They haven't been "right there" for the past few days. Nothing comes up at all, so I do have to search on LibraryThing, Google, or GoodReads for them now.

Oh well, I guess that's good, as they must be working on it behind the scenes if something changed.
Profile Image
they must be working on it behind the scenes if something changed.

You're right. They are.
Profile Image

Argh

I've registered some books lately. As they were in Norwegian, I used the 'skip search' and added all the info myself. Took photos of the covers, uploaded them... Then yesterday, done covers were gone, but not all. I uploaded some again.

EDIT: Now some of the covers that were gone yesterday, which I didn't upload, have showed up again now!
Profile Image
Reno is back
perhaps he can help
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/538414
Profile Image
It doesn't take too long to do an image search and add it, but it's nice not to have to do that. I hope it is fixed soon.
Profile Image
If the correct image comes up when you first register the book, then disappears, you can always find that image again on the global information page (click the little globe on the book's page). No need to hunt it down on google, etc. Then just save it to your computer & upload it. It's not perfect, but it is a little easier, until this gets fixed.

Profile Image
If the correct image comes up when you first register the book, then disappears, you can always find that image again on the global information page (click the little globe on the book's page). No need to hunt it down on google, etc. Then just save it to your computer & upload it. It's not perfect, but it is a little easier, until this gets fixed.

Thank you. I learn more and more about this site every day :-)
Profile Image
Thanks for this advice.

Hopefully it will work normally again one day...
Profile Image

That's the best hint yet to make inserting pictures easy. Thanks so much. I only have to look up a fraction of the books elsewhere now. Thanks!
Profile Image
Yes, that's what's been happening--the image comes up when I first search but disappears from the final entry.
Profile Image
I am having problems with that too. When I search there are no suggested pictures anymore. When I add my own they go in sideways and there is no way on your site to re orientate them. They look like this. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14344268
Profile Image
I am having problems with that too. When I search there are no suggested pictures anymore. When I add my own they go in sideways and there is no way on your site to re orientate them. They look like this. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14344268

That's not the site, since I've added pix to every book I've registered since the cover image problem started and mine aren't sideways. I did have that sideways problem myself though a few years ago, but unfortunately I don't remember how I fixed it. Sorry.

Hopefully someone computer savvy can help.
Profile Image
It is partly a website issue, eBay gives you the tools to amend them, once on the site.
Profile Image
It is partly a website issue, eBay gives you the tools to amend them, once on the site.

BookCrossing does have the option to delete photos or to upload new ones, so fixing an orientation problem is pretty easy. I've only run into the "sideways" issue if I've used Paint to rotate my own images but then forgot to save them before uploading to BC. (Are you using a tablet or smartphone to capture the images? They might have their own "which way am I holding the device?" feature? I don't have those myself so I'm not sure if it resets the default orientation of saved images.)
Profile Image
Click on the image to get a large image and saving that. Faster than photographing the book and needing to crop, straighten, etc.
It also gets around the problem of stickers and the like on the book cover.
Profile Image
Since it's been going on for months now I don't expect a quick fix to the problem.

Sigh.
Profile Image
Since it's been going on for months now I don't expect a quick fix to the problem.

Sigh.

I think the most severe form of the problem, the covers showing *during* registration but not afterwards, hasn't been around as long as this thread has - I only noticed it a month or so ago.

That's still an annoyingly long period of time to have chronic cover-pic issues, but now that site founder Reno has returned ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/538414 ) there may be more action on this. [More site-serious problems such as the supply-store issue with credit cards have already been dealt with; this one's lower priority but I'm hopeful that it will be fixed soon.]
Profile Image
OK, so I just registered a book. The ISBN search brought up the correct image, so I right-clicked on that to save it to my BC-covers directory. I proceeded with the registration, and the resulting book did not have a cover-pic. I did not upload the cover image at this time - repeat, did NOT upload it. (I've been holding off on books I'm not planning to release right away, in hopes that the problem will auto-correct at some point.)

Anyway: I wanted to see if there were other copies registered, so I clicked on the global-overview button and got the overview page, complete with correct cover-pic. I clicked on the books-registered link and saw three books, including mine - all showing the correct cover-pic! Hooray, thought I, and clicked on my own book - but the individual book-view still did not show the cover. Sigh.

I noticed I'd left a few words out of my journal entry, so I edited the JE - and when I saved it, the book came up with the correct cover image!!! I hadn't edited the book *details*, mind, nor hit the "update cover" button, just edited the JE...

I have no idea if the full sequence of steps - viewing the global-overview page, editing the JE, etc. - was significant in making the cover magically appear, but I found it interesting. I have several more books to register, so I may experiment with them to see if there's a minimum sequence of steps that makes the cover magically appear. If not, or if it's wildly inconsistent, well, I can still save the cover images for later upload if needed!
Profile Image
Second experiment: registered book, no cover pic. Tried editing the JE; no cover pic. Went to global-overview page, then back to the book, edited JE again - no cover pic. Went to global-overview page, clicked on the books-registered link, saw my book *with* cover pic. Clicked on it - no cover pic. Edited the JE - voila! Cover pic!

So... either there's a timing situation here (a possibility I'll be testing next) or for some reason this weird sequence of steps unsticks whatever's broken re the cover-image linkage. [Or else it's gremlins.]

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.