corner corner Problems with Zones shortcut list? Please read!

Forum | << Bugs and Broken Bits Reporting | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Problems with Zones shortcut list? Please read!

Some members are currently experiencing problems with their Release Zones shortcut list: it's unusable to them. Apparently the list is corrupted. This seems to be happening to certain accounts, not others, and on all OSses / browsers.
Working together, members on the Dutch forum tested, tried and poked around until they found a partial fix that members can apply themselves! Here's the recipe they came up with. It's a way to clear your list of the old, corrupted entries and start a new list that can be used.

1. Go to http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/managezones . You will need Wings to do this. If you need a free week of Wings to get your shortcut list going again, post a reply to this message and we'll hook you up.
The list at the bottom (your personal shortcut list) will look empty, despite the entries you remember it having. This is expected.

2. At the top of the page, click “select country”, then “state or province”, then pick a city and then an existing crossing zone. Add this zone to your list. It should appear there.

3. Now in a similar way, add all the Zones that you want on your list.

4. Don't forget to click the button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.

5. Go and release a book somewhere. The list should now be usable again. It will NOT contain your old entries, unfortunately; but from now on, the entries you just re-added will be usable again. We're not yet sure whether new Zones you use will be saved as they should; if you find out, let us know.

We hope this helps some of you. Thanks, Dutch BookCrossers and well done!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Some members are currently experiencing problems with their Release Zones shortcut list: it's unusable to them. Apparently the list is corrupted. This seems to be happening to certain accounts, not others, and on all OSses / browsers.
Working together, members on the Dutch forum tested, tried and poked around until they found a partial fix that members can apply themselves! Here's the recipe they came up with. It's a way to clear your list of the old, corrupted entries and start a new list that can be used.

1. Go to http://www.bookcrossing.com/managezones . You will need Wings to do this. If you need a free week of Wings to get your shortcut list going again, post a reply to this message and we'll hook you up.
The list at the bottom (your personal shortcut list) will look empty, despite the entries you remember it having. This is expected.

2. At the top of the page, click “select country”, then “state or province”, then pick a city and then an existing crossing zone. Add this zone to your list. It should appear there.

3. Now in a similar way, add all the Zones that you want on your list.

4. Don't forget to click the button at the bottom of the page to save your changes.

5. Go and release a book somewhere. The list should now be usable again. It will NOT contain your old entries, unfortunately; but from now on, the entries you just re-added will be usable again. We're not yet sure whether new Zones you use will be saved as they should; if you find out, let us know.

We hope this helps some of you. Thanks, Dutch BookCrossers and well done!
Profile Image

THANK YOU!

Yes, I'm shouting because I'm one whose short cut list had disappeared completely - and, although I've released books since which I'd thought/hoped would start a new list, it's remained blank!

I've just used your method to add and save three of my most frequently used zones. Although I won't be making an actual release today, I did a dummy release and, sure enough, my three new zones appeared in my new, exciting, shiny short cut list. As it was only a test, I cancelled out without completing, of course, but I'm happy, relieved and very gratefuly that it appears to be working!

Thank you! A great big thank you!

Just one query: Has this now been reset in some way so that in future the zones I use for releases will be added automatically, as in the past, or should I continue use to this method? No problem! Just wondering :-)
Profile Image
Has this now been reset in some way so that in future the zones I use for releases will be added automatically, as in the past, or should I continue use to this method?

We're not completely sure yet. Signs seem to indicate that it may work as before when you have Wings, and it won't when you don't. But bugs are tricky beasties, so who can tell?

More as we know it.
Profile Image
Signs seem to indicate that it may work as before when you have Wings

Well, I never let my Wings lapse so, speaking totally selfishly, that sounds like Very Good News! Thanks :-)
Profile Image
That's been 'bugging' me for weeks ;-)
Profile Image
My shortcuts list works fine when I use a laptop or desktop but not when I use my smartphone. It then appears to be empty.

It's annoying because the shortcut list is most useful when I'm releasing a book "on the go" via my phone!
Profile Image
Having selected UK, no provinces or cities then exist.
Profile Image
Using Firefox on a PC the provinces and cities have appeared. Will keep you posted as to whether releasing a book successfully adds the location to the shortcuts.
Profile Image
Using Firefox on a PC the provinces and cities have appeared.

Windows and Firefox for me too
Will keep you posted as to whether releasing a book successfully adds the location to the shortcuts.

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work out for me but this workaround isn't particularly time-consuming and the shortcuts have stuck once added using this system!
Profile Image
By the way it's on Safari on a Mac that it doesn't work.
Profile Image
My shortcut list has always included every zone I have ever released to. I know, there is a box where I can supposedly chose to check whether or not the release should be a 'shortcut' or not. That has never been an option, it is checked for every release by BC, and I cannot uncheck it.

I was quite excited about this fix, but cannot apply it. My shortcuts are every zone I have ever released to. Useless. Easier to pick one zone out of a city than a shortcut requiring me to page through every state I have ever released into.
Profile Image
I was quite excited about this fix, but cannot apply it. My shortcuts are every zone I have ever released to. Useless.

The fix is for people who get the error message 'You need to pick a release zone first' when they have just done so.
Have you tried removing unwanted Zones from your list, using the link in the first posting?

I find the list a lot more usable in the new version, now that I can just type a few letters in the box and I'll get suggestions from my list. If I don't want that, I can still open the complete list as before, by clicking the small tab at the right side of the box.
Profile Image
Yes. As I stated in my message I cannot remove zones from my shortcuts, just as I cannot prevent zones from being added. So I ignore the shortcut. That's why I was excited at a possible fix, which I cannot apply.
Profile Image
I cannot remove zones from my shortcuts

I'm sorry to hear it. This is a problem I haven't heard about before, and it sounds like a pain. What happens when you try?
Profile Image
I can actually remove them one at a time from Manage zones. But I cannot prevent any zone I release to from being added to my shortcut list. So manually going to manage zones after release is the only way to whittle the list down.

That would be possible, except that when I release a book, I cannot uncheck the 'Add to my Shortlist box.'

This is on several computers, including public ones, Macs and PCs, safari, IE, the Mac os etc.
Profile Image
I can actually remove them one at a time from Manage zones.
Oh good, so that part is working as normal. As far as I know, that's the only way to remove them.
But I cannot prevent any zone I release to from being added to my shortcut list.
So you seem to have the same options as I have at the moment. I think the feature with the checkbox for 'add this to my shortcut list' is unfinished and not currently working for anyone.

Does the 'typing the first letters' feature work for you?
Profile Image

No. Sort of, maybe (not).
I typed in "lit " as in Little free library. It gave me a list for the city of Minneapolis of -Wild, released in Mpls; A Baker's Wife; three or 4 more in Mpls, and then various odd cities. I could find the LFL I have released to down mixed in, but not easily.

2 things about that: Saint Paul is my home city, so that I would assume would be the default. If not, and it was going for cities, Litchfield should have been offered, or Lutsen, or Madison, or blah, blah, not Minneapolis as the first guess.
Profile Image

No. Sort of, maybe (not). (...)

Okay, so it's working in a technical sense (you do get suggestions), but it's not working in a way that you find useful. Fair enough.
What about typing in the first letters of a city? Does that bring up anything useful?
Profile Image

What about typing in the first letters of a city? Does that bring up anything useful?

No.
Tried "lit' got
Little Canada -Earl Spooner Park
Oakdale -Fidelity Center
Lester Praire -Central Park
Litchfield -Litchfield Community Cemnter
Austin Caribou Coffee
Milwaukee -Little Free Library
Saint Paul -

Tried 'litt' got
Lester Praire -Lester Park Little Free Library
Litchfield -Litchfield Community Center
Austin little free Library
Saint Paul -
Profile Image
Tried 'litt' got
Lester Praire -Lester Park Little Free Library
Litchfield -Litchfield Community Center
Austin little free Library
Saint Paul -

So it seems like it treats all data equally, and doesn't care whether a name indicates a city, a crossing zone or what have you. Still, it seems that typing four letters should usually bring up a list that's so short that you can pick the one you want from that list. That's enough for me to find it useful. Of course, you don't have to agree.
Profile Image
Umm, no. The list is ALL the shortcuts listed in weird ways. For example -What does Caribou Coffee in Austin have to do with 'lit'? The further down the list, the more strange and random the groupings. I just wasn't going to type out all the hundreds of zones. Just enough to show thw weird semi-random arrangements.

I believe I have mentioned before that I am a computer bug magnet. Some people stop wrist watches by wearing them, I attract bugs (and not just on BC). I ignore bugs rthat are ignorable, such as the shortcuts button for years. Why bother? I can still release books. It's the things like having insurance canceled for no reason, or having your house condemned for no reason -- those get my attention.
Profile Image
The list is ALL the shortcuts listed in weird ways. For example -What does Caribou Coffee in Austin have to do with 'lit'?

I don't know, I was assuming that the letter combination might be in the description of the Zone.
Are, at least, the more relevant results brought to the top when you type more letters?

(I'm not trying to force you to use this feature. I'm curious, and trying to find out how this works. When you've had enough, just, please, let me know.)
Profile Image
You're right. When I type in 5 letters or more, it starts to winnow the list. Still oddly. When I put in the entire name of a city (correctly spelled only) it just lists the sites I have released to. So this is usable, just not as friendly as I would care for; takes as long or longer to type out the full name of a city than click on it. Thanks.
Profile Image
When I put in the entire name of a city (correctly spelled only) it just lists the sites I have released to. So this is usable, just not as friendly as I would care for

Again, fair enough, and thank you for humouring me!
Profile Image
Is there perhaps an ETA for a proper fix of this issue? Thanks!
Profile Image
Looks like maybe this is working now. :)

Thank you very much!
Profile Image

Updates?

I have also encountered this problem. It's frustrating. I have released a number of books over the years without logging it because it became too time consuming. Can I have temporary access to this wings thingy to try the above solution.
Alternatively, any progress made towards a permanent solution so this works?
Profile Image
Can I have temporary access to this wings thingy to try the above solution.

Temporary access to wings is available over at the Store - only $5 for one month! ;)
Profile Image

Mine too

I have had problems as well.
Profile Image
Can I have the free temporary access to Wings to fix this please?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.