corner corner The First Very Unofficial BookCrossing Olympics - OVERALL WINNER now announced

Forum | << Release Challenges | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I just released this book for judo: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11956909

And I made two German Olympics labels. I use these little ones to stick them inside the books in addition to the normal labels:
http://s7.directupload.net/---/l76yorsy_pdf.htm

And I use the big ones to draw attention to released books because I don't have printed release bags anymore:
http://s1.directupload.net/---/c939dnwl_pdf.htm

Complete Thread

1 2 3 4 ... 14  Next 

Profile Image
Welcome to the First Very Unofficial Bookcrossing Olympics
Let's have some releasing fun over the summer :)
This release game is basically a series of mini-challenges for you to take part in, themed around the various Olympic events. But rest assured, you don't have to be a sports fan to play (I certainly am not!), there are lots of different ideas for you to pick and choose from.

The events will run the length of the summer, from the beginning of June until the end of august. You can complete any event at any time during the summer – you are welcome to do all the events, or just one.
You can play as a team (of up to 3 players) if you choose to – each team (even the teams of just one player) will choose a country to represent

The Bookcrossing Olympics is all about making the best releases you can, even if you have limited resources. Even if you only make one release, that's cool... and if you're lucky enough to have mountains of books to release from that's cool too - but either way take you're time to think of how to best do it - go that extra mile in finding a great release spot, ensuring the book is extra eye-catching with stickers or post-its, and making it exciting to find!

Got questions? Sure ya do! There are more details below, or just ask

Wanna Join? Yhea you do!! PM Vekiki or post here

Handy dandy links:

blog:
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/the-bookcrossing-olympics.html

List of all events:
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/events.html

GMT (London) clock:
http://www.timeanddate.com/---/city.html?...
Profile Image
Now, of course, the taking part is the most important bit, but in the Olympics there are winners too :)

This will vary for some of the events, but in most cases your team can earn points by...
- a point for every book released (including controlled releases in events where that's applicable). In events that don't involve releasing a book, you will get a point for participating when you enter instead :)
- a point per catch from a wild release
- a point per AF sign up following a wild release
- a point per re-release after wild release
- a point per competitive event win
- a point per catch of another team's wild release of an Olympics book

In the Olympics, points do not mean prizes - we are playing for fun, for the love of bookcrossing - the best prize is a great summer releasing and the chance to take inspiration from each other. But an overall winner will be declared at the end of the tournament and you will get to be the envy of all :)

I'll be keeping track of all the releases on the blog, and each team will have a page with all there releases, catches and point info
Profile Image

Teams

If you choose to, you can play in a team of up to 3 people. You are invited to put together your own team, or post here saying that you would like team mates so that people know you're looking. If you prefer, you can PM me and I'll do my best to get a team together for you.
Of course, if you would rather just play by your self that is fine too – we will all be cheering each other along in the forums so you will still have lots of support and company.

Every team – even teams of just one player – should choose a country they wish to represent for the Olympics; this can be a real or fictional country. It doesn't have to be where you currently live or where you are from... and only one team can represent each country (so, for example, we cannot have two Team Mauritanias), first come first served.

If you choose to play in a team of two or three players, you can decide between you who releases books for which events. There is only one entry per team per event. You are encouraged to swap email addresses to share ideas, inspire each other and of course plot tactics ;)

You can join the Olympics at any point during the summer – either by forming your own team (of 1,2, or 3 players) or joining in with a pre-existing one.

When you have your team, please post here who the players are, and what country you will represent. Please also PM Vekiki so she can include you in the game blog!

Teams so far (Team name, and players)

Team Wales: Vekiki & Wyando
Team Eisland (Land of Ice): 83dea, Izirider, Olli-V
Team Poland: NowINkA
Team Hessia: CrimsonAngel, Chawoso
Team Franken: Dartqueen, Runningmouse, Lesenmachtfroh
Team Black Forest: Trinibell, URLK, RazFaz
Team Yorkshire: Diane-Fraser, saskiasosmile, Foxy737
Team France: Krissa33
Team Ijburg: Inge1983
Team Nangijala: Deepswamp, mariabokmal, Haugtussa
Team Houyhnhnm: Erishkigal
Team Borderland: cappuccino21, Stepnina
Team Germany: Kasimar, Sandra-Sabine
Team Russia; Lamilla, Boekentrol
Team Twente; passmaster
Team Gondwana: Souram, mariesg
Team Turko & Caicos; katisha50
Team Valhalla: BAMP, Babelfisk, Nordpirat
Team Netherlands: Elanria, Bloedengel, Anneleis
Team Phantasia: samingo, lesefreundin52
Team Kazemachi: yaroujidai
Team Shire: Jpix, maju30
Team Europe: Brezova
Team Zoologia: Drachenkater, Zappelphilipine, Eurydike
Profile Image

RE: Teams

Zowee, we have 11 teams already!

Teams France and Yorkshire are both happy to accept new members, so if anyone is looking for a team to join, look no further :D

I'm so excited :D I made all the team pages so far, you can find them here:
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/teams.html
Profile Image

RE: RE: Teams

Zowee, we have 11 teams already!

Yaeh!
Profile Image
I'm so excited :D I made all the team pages so far, you can find them here:

I LOVE the Yorkshire flag :))
Profile Image
I LOVE the Yorkshire flag :))

:D couldn't resist
Profile Image
to represent Houyhnhnm!!!
Profile Image
Team Europe also would like more team members :-)
Profile Image
- Most of the events will be wild release challenges. In the Olympics, only wild releases will count unless otherwise specified in the event rules.

- To enter a release for an event, post it in the forums AND PM it to Vekiki.

- Unless otherwise specified, your team can make one release per event... and have one event per release (so, you can only enter each event once by releasing a book. And each book can only be entered to one event).
If you choose to play in a team of two or three players, you can decide between you who releases books for which events. There is only one entry per team per event. You are encouraged to swap email addresses to share ideas, inspire each other and of course plot tactics ;)

- The official Opening Ceremony will begin at 00.01 GMT on 1st June. Only releases made after this time will count.
The official Closing Ceremony will end at 23.59 GMT on 31st August.... no releases (or catches) after this time will count towards the points.

- You can join the Olympics at any point during the summer – either by forming your own team (of 1,2, or 3 players) or joining in with a pre-existing one.

- For the sake of clarity; 'player' refers to one individual BCer taking part in the Olympics, whereas 'team' refers to the whole team... which may be 1, 2, or 3 players.

- You are allowed (in fact, encouraged!) to enlist other people (other players, none-playing BCers, friends and family) to help with your releases.
If you make a controlled release to another BCer who will then wild release on your behalf, the release will not count towards the Olympics until a wild release and release notes have been made.
If you are working with a player from another team to make a release, you must specify which team the release is for.

- As in all bookcrossing activity, you should not email BCIDs – only someone with the actual book physically in their hands should journal it

Tips, ideas and some general stuff to remember

For all events (and especially the artistic events), you are encouraged to be creative with your interpretation of the event prompts. Think outside the box, and take your time to set up some awesome original releases – don't worry that your take on the event 'won't count' - if you can explain how the release fits the challenge then that's a good enough for us! Always ALWAYS go that extra mile to make the books exciting to find and inspiring for other players to read about.

Take lots of photos; include them in your release notes, or post them on a photo sharing site (like flicker) for us all to see!

Some events may take a while to do (for example the read and release events) – you are welcome to let us know how your preparations are going on the forums.

There are LOTS of events. Don't feel like you or your team have to complete them all - just pick the ones that appeal to you.

The most important thing about the Bookcrossing Olympics is to have FUN :D
Cheer each other on, enjoy each others releases and catches, get to know some bookcrossers, get some bloody brilliant releases made.

The Olympics is suitable for both old and new Bookcrossers (or old bookcrossers who don't take part in many release challenges) - you can play as a team or just use the forums for support and inspiration if ever you are not sure (you're also welcome to PM me (Vekiki) if ever you want). I have tried to include some a range of events so there should be something for everyone.

Please note, the Bookcrossing Olympics is NOT in any way associated with the real Olympics. The International Olympic Committee are pretty careful about who they let use there logo, so please don't add the Olympic rings or anything like that to any of your releases :(
We do have a super cute BCOlympics logo (designed for us by Wyando, Thankyou!), and you can use that all you want

You can ask questions here, or via PM to Vekiki
I would suggest that if you have any questions about a specific event (or the games as a whole) you ask BEFORE making the release, just in case :)
Profile Image
the 'events' are the mini challenges for you to take part in

There are three kinds of events:
- Competitive events
as the name suggests, these will have a competition involved – who can release the heaviest book? Or find the highest spot to release in? We will declare a winner for each of these events at the end of the summer

- Artistic events
these are themed release ideas – release a book in honour of your favourite animal, or release a book floating on water. Some may be tough, but you can be creative in how you interpret the challenge!

- Challenge events
These are activities to take part in, they mostly don't involve wild releasing a book, instead, they are a range of projects – join in with a bookray, go book hunting, or design some bookplates.

there is a list of all the events here

or slightly more detailed breakdowns here;
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/artistic-events.html
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/competitive-events.html
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/challenge-events.html
Profile Image
(most of this stuff is in the forum now, but it may be easier to read and look through on the blog...)

Our Game Blog:
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/the-bookcrossing-olympics.html
This is where I'll keep track of all the entries to events - every team will have a page to keep track of their releases and points

Events:
a list of all the mini-challenges to take part in

Rules, some FAQs... etc...
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/rule-details-faqs.html

Teams info;

Points info:
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/points.html
Profile Image
I am in!!!

I have very few books for wild releasing at the moment so would be quite happy to have either my own team or join another if someone wants a team mate/someone to bounce ideas off.

Looks like I have a bit of reading to do so will come back in a few days and PM you.

Yet another brilliant idea Vekiki, what is it they put in the water where you live? Whatever it is please send me a bottle I would get on very well at work if I came up with some original ideas mmmm then again maybe I wouldn't lol
Profile Image
I would like to be in !
and I would like to ask DianeFraser if I can join her in a team?
maybe with another person as well?
Profile Image
I would like to be in !
and I would like to ask DianeFraser if I can join her in a team?
maybe with another person as well?

Yippee - we have a team. If one more would like to join us that would be great :)

Profile Image
Auf dem BallyCumber Blog habe ich eine grobe Zusammenfassung (naja, eigentlich alles bis auf die einzelnen Detail Beschreibungen der verschiedenen Mini-Events) zum Spiel geschrieben:

http://www.ballycumber.de/---/challenge-bookcrossing-olympiade/

Für diejenigen, die gerne mitspielen wuerden, aber Ansichts der Flut von englischen Informationen eher zoegern ;)

Gibt euch einen Ruck und spielt einfach mit! :)

Bei Fragen und undeutlichkeiten werden wird hier im Forum sicher eine Lösung finden. Ist nämlich alles nicht so schwer!
Profile Image

Anmeldung

Ich melde Olli - V, Izirider und mich an, wir werden ein Team bilden.
Unser Gruppenname lautet: Eiskalte Erbsen :-)
Profile Image
Due to limited resources I won’t be much help for the team though, so please count me in as a single player, country – Poland (that goes without saying!). Thank you.

PMing you just now…
Cheers.
Profile Image

I'm in!

I'll just see if I can manage to rustle up some teammates... I've got two in mind!
Profile Image
I'll just see if I can manage to rustle up some teammates... I've got two in mind!

I´m in, looking forward!
Profile Image

Me too!
Profile Image

Thus we've got a team; Deepswamp, mariabokmal & Haugtussa.

Team name will follow. Look forward to play.

Profile Image
I will participate as a single player so I can concentrate on a few events while keeping my energy levels in optimal condition. My "country" is Ijburg.
thanks for organising!
Profile Image
Do I have to make a specific release for every competition or does every release made for the Olympics automatically take part in the competitions? Example: If I want to release a very heavy book for the competition, can I release it for another event (fencing, swimming, whatever) and if it is the heaviest book released at the end, I will win this point?
Profile Image
Do I have to make a specific release for every competition or does every release made for the Olympics automatically take part in the competitions? Example: If I want to release a very heavy book for the competition, can I release it for another event (fencing, swimming, whatever) and if it is the heaviest book released at the end, I will win this point?

each book can only count for one event. So, a book released as heaviest book can only go towards that event - not swimming or fencing or whatever else.
Likewise, you can only release one book for each event. So if you release a book for the marathon, your team don't get to release another one for the marathon next week too.

I hope that makes sense :D
Profile Image
I hope that makes sense :D

It does. :o) Thank you!
Profile Image
are Trinibell, URLK and RazFaz. We are clueless about the games and rules but taking part is the most important bit!
Profile Image
.... meldet sich hiermit an. habe zwar noch nicht alles verstanden, aber Releasechallenge ist wunderbar und dabei sein alles!
Profile Image
Diane-Fraser and saskiasosmile are a team in the bookcrossing olympics and are looking for ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE TEAM !!

Anyone interested to join us??
Profile Image
Diane-Fraser and saskiasosmile are a team in the bookcrossing olympics and are looking for ANOTHER MEMBER OF THE TEAM !!

Anyone interested to join us??

Me please xxx
Profile Image
That's great foxy737 !

I will PM you with our plans so far!...

vekiki has given us a Yorkshire Pudding to represent us, but that is only a DISGUISE.
Profile Image
That's great foxy737 !

I will PM you with our plans so far!...

vekiki has given us a Yorkshire Pudding to represent us, but that is only a DISGUISE.

I quite like the Yorkshire puddings sustenance for all the releasing our team will be doing ;)
Profile Image
but it's going to be a very busy summer, and I'll be gone for half of it (and far from computers, or even cell service), so I'd like to be a lone player, and just do what I can when I can. (Unlike the stress and structure of Monopoly. But as much fun<grin>). I shall play for Houyhnhnm.
Profile Image
Unlike the stress and structure of Monopoly. But as much fun<grin>

That was the plan :D
Profile Image

Yes - oui!

Of course my team is France! If there is someone who wants to play in my team, you're welcome!
Bien sûr mon équipe c'est la France! Si quelqu'un(e) veut se joindre à moi - tu es le bienvenue!
Profile Image
Moi aussi!
I've PMed Krissa33 and I could join her team France.
Let the games begin!
Profile Image
Moi aussi!
I've PMed Krissa33 and I could join her team France.
Let the games begin!

yes, I'm happy that Deese joint the team! Now we are invincible!
Profile Image
cappuccino21
Stepnina
Profile Image
Große Team-Namen!

Ich kann nicht erraten, welche "Borderland" du ehren (es gibt viele im realen Leben und in der Fiktion!), so dass ich Probleme bei der Suche ein gutes Bild für eine Fahne - haben Sie irgendwelche Ideen?
Profile Image
Große Team-Namen!

Ich kann nicht erraten, welche "Borderland" du ehren (es gibt viele im realen Leben und in der Fiktion!), so dass ich Probleme bei der Suche ein gutes Bild für eine Fahne - haben Sie irgendwelche Ideen?

We live in different federal states (Bundesländern), with only 10 km distance:
Stepnina in Niedersachsen, me in Nordrhein-Westfalen.

That´s the reason for our name...

I´m going to take a picture of the Mittelllandkanal, which goes through our region, and make an upload on flickr, so you can use it.
Profile Image

I´m going to take a picture of the Mittelllandkanal, which goes through our region, and make an upload on flickr, so you can use it.

Perfect :-)
Profile Image

Perfect :-)

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/---/borderlandcrzp7518vb.jpg
Profile Image
Can you put me down on my own for now as trying to rustle up two others I have in mind, still thinking of team name too.
If that doesn't pan out I might see if still a space on the yummy looking Yorkshire Team by then ;) though will be an odd addition being all the way down south in Kent lol but would bring them a coastal release teammate ;)
Will keep you all posted x
Profile Image
If that doesn't pan out I might see if still a space on the yummy looking Yorkshire Team by then ;) though will be an odd addition being all the way down south in Kent lol but would bring them a coastal release teammate ;)

You don't have to be Yorkshire born and bred to join our team, that's just not cricket! ;) ohh sorry couldn't resist that pun.
Profile Image
While studying the rules for the events, another question came up: Which timezone counts for the challenge? Do we all have to look at the same timezone (e. g. GMT+1) or does every work with its own timezone?
And what about the events where the exact time of the release is important (e. g. Shooting)? Do you want a certain proof like a photo with the time showing in the corner or is it okay if we just write down the exact time in the Release Note? And how precise should that be?

Perhaps I'm already thinking too much about this... ^.^*
Profile Image
While studying the rules for the events, another question came up: Which timezone counts for the challenge? Do we all have to look at the same timezone (e. g. GMT+1) or does every work with its own timezone?
And what about the events where the exact time of the release is important (e. g. Shooting)? Do you want a certain proof like a photo with the time showing in the corner or is it okay if we just write down the exact time in the Release Note? And how precise should that be?

Perhaps I'm already thinking too much about this... ^.^*

Ok - so I'm based right on top of the GMT line - so timezone GMT. And I think that for sake of having everyone 'singing from the same hymn sheet' we should use that as a basis - so 'midnight' means midnight GMT... and anyone in a different time zone should add or minus hours as appropriate to find when that is for them. So, if you are GMT+1, 'midnight' would read as 1AM for you....
sound ok for everyone?

as to 'proof' - well, I did think about that too. Most of the competitive releases have some perimeter that they are based on - time, or weight, or page count, or whatever. And I think we should all just agree to trust each other (after all this is supposed to be fun, and there's no prize at stake) on all these things.
Of course, it may be fun if people can get photos to provide 'evidence' - maybe with the book on a set of scales, or next to a clock, or whatever - but that's an extra to do if you want to, not a requirement :D
Profile Image
Ok - so I'm based right on top of the GMT line - so timezone GMT. And I think that for sake of having everyone 'singing from the same hymn sheet' we should use that as a basis - so 'midnight' means midnight GMT... and anyone in a different time zone should add or minus hours as appropriate to find when that is for them. So, if you are GMT+1, 'midnight' would read as 1AM for you....
sound ok for everyone?

Best solution. But with summertime and all that shit ;) there could be some confusion. So the easiest way for all players to know what time it is, check this link, which will show you the actual time in London:
or
http://www.timeanddate.com/---/fullscreen.html?...

Compared to your local time, you can calculate whatever you need :)
Profile Image

Best solution. But with summertime and all that shit ;) there could be some confusion. So the easiest way for all players to know what time it is, check this link, which will show you the actual time in London:
or
http://www.timeanddate.com/---/fullscreen.html?...

Compared to your local time, you can calculate whatever you need :)

That's great, thanks!
Profile Image
Hi Vekiki,

great idea this Olympiad :-)

Our Team will be Germany and in are

Kasimar and I, maybe we'll find another Teammember - and when not ... ;-)
Profile Image
We will be Team Nangijala.

Nangijala is the country where the brothers Lionheart go to when they die in Astrid Lindgrends famous book. It is a great place - well apart from a dragon and....
Profile Image
It is a great place - well apart from a dragon and....

:D i nothing else, there's always somewhere to toast your marshmallows....
Profile Image
I love our team logo!
Profile Image
I'd like to form team Russia please. At the moment I am the sole member. Anyone wants to make me a company? You don't have to speak Russian (though it would be a nice bonus)!
Profile Image
Vekiki, please add me to team Russia:-)
Profile Image

Hurray!

Now it feels like the right thing XD
Profile Image

please

Could we have the links to the BC Olympics blog, and the one from Wyando's GMT in the thread header?
Maybe I am lazy, but for me this would be practical!
Profile Image

RE: please

Could we have the links to the BC Olympics blog, and the one from Wyando's GMT in the thread header?
Maybe I am lazy, but for me this would be practical!

good idea - done!
Profile Image
It is clear that there is one book per challenge and one challenge per book in the Bookcrossing Olympics.

My question is: can I 'use' my Olympics releases for other challenges, for instance the 52 towns in 52 weeks? As I might go that little bit further for the Olympics, these other commitments may get into trouble. And can the Olympics books to read also go in to the 'Pages Read' too?
Profile Image

RE: Question

My question is: can I 'use' my Olympics releases for other challenges, for instance the 52 towns in 52 weeks? As I might go that little bit further for the Olympics, these other commitments may get into trouble. And can the Olympics books to read also go in to the 'Pages Read' too?

- a using Olympics releases for other challenges:
Yes. There even is a "Hurdles" Challenge which explicitly define this.
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.de/---/hurdles.html

- Olympics books to read also go in to the 'Pages Read' too
Yes. A page read is a pages read ;)

Profile Image

RE: Question

Sure, books can be released for any non-olympics challenges too
by 'pages read' do you mean the challenge on the book talk forum? Sure, include them there :D
Just to be clear, the olympics events that call for a page count (eg marathon - read and release the longest book) it means one individual book, not the page count of everything you read over the summer :D
Profile Image
This sounds fun (and really well organised, Vicki). I'd like to be Team Turks and Caicos, cos brother/sis-in-law used to live there. Maybe a cake for a logo? Not as regularly on here as some people, so may annoy team members, but am happy to have them.
Profile Image
Sortierbar / sortable
Durschsuchbar / searchable

http://www.ballycumber.de/---/bookcrossing-olympiade-die-disziplinen/
"http://www.ballycumber.de/blog/bookcrossing-olympiade-die-disziplinen/"
Profile Image

Twente

With the experience of BC Monopoly and School of Bookcrossing I announce that Twente takes part in the BC Olympics. Twente could be a team if someone does not want to start a team or act independent.
Profile Image
Good to see that Twente gets its own team here!!
Hope you find some team mates too.
Profile Image

+1 team

Souram (Switzerland) and me (France) would like to join and be the team Gondwana.
http://en.wikipedia.org/---/Gondwana
Thank you, Vekiki and Wyando.
:o)
Profile Image

Pm sent!

I just sent a pm for our team.
I plan to send a "team picture" for our team also. I just need to check with the other members first.
Profile Image
Please add me to the list
Profile Image
... I am in. Please add me to crimsonangel. Thanks for that beautyful idea!
Profile Image
just so you all know, I'll won't be updating the team pages til (hopefully) sunday evening - so don't worry if your page is out of date or non-existent at the moment :)

Profile Image
Elandria
Bloedengel
and me :)

Sounds as so much fun!
Profile Image
...to the list of teams.

Lesefreundin52 and myself are forming the team "Phantasia"
We are all book-lovers and with every book we read we enter this country - our fantasy...

Let me know whether it can be accepted. If not, we will think again ;-)
Profile Image
team "Phantasia"
We are all book-lovers and with every book we read we enter this country - our fantasy...

I think that's a great idea for a team name
Profile Image
I'd like to start by thanking Vekiki for this initiative and the tremenous work you've made writing texts and creating rules, and Wyando for creating the BC Olympics logo.

From that logo I've just created a sheet in standard A4 with a 15 labels on it.
If you people intrested in using these lables I'll be happy to create a web document and link to it. Then you can download and/or print it.
The labels can for instance be glued or taped to the books released in the Olympics release challenge or put in them as bookmarks.

What say you?

Ps. There is no web document yet, and thus no link. I'd like an ok from the initiators (i.e. Vekiki and Wyando) first.
Profile Image
There is no web document yet, and thus no link. I'd like an ok from the initiators (i.e. Vekiki and Wyando) first.

Sounds GREAT!
Profile Image
There is no web document yet, and thus no link. I'd like an ok from the initiators (i.e. Vekiki and Wyando) first.

Sounds GREAT!

What she said :)

P.S. On this page you'll find some versions of the logo:
http://www.bookcrossers.de/bcolympics

P.P.S "single" ballycumbers in there colors will be added this week - as seen on this page:
http://www.ballycumber.de/---/bookcrossing-olympiade-die-disziplinen/
"http://www.ballycumber.de/blog/bookcrossing-olympiade-die-disziplinen/"
Profile Image

From that logo I've just created a sheet in standard A4 with a 15 labels on it.
If you people intrested in using these lables I'll be happy to create a web document and link to it. Then you can download and/or print it.

I'd be very interested.
Thank you, Nordpirat ! :o)
Profile Image
I'd be interested, too...
That's a great idea for all releases in the BC Olympics...
Profile Image

WOW!

I've just updated all the team pages... we have 20 teams so far!! WOW! :DDDD

If anyone is lurking and feeling shy, there are several teams who have said they would welcome another player or two - Twente, France, Yorkshire, Germany & Russia
(you are welcome to make a team of your own if you prefer, of course!)

Profile Image

let me in

I participate BC Olympics as a single player from Japan. I send PM.
Profile Image
So, it all kicks off on saturday! :D I can't wait to get stuck in and start playing

To celebrate the Opening Ceremony of the First Bookcrossing Olympics, each team is invited to make one free release during the first 24 hours of play. Play begins 00.01 GMT on the 1st June
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/opening-ceremony.html

and you guys may also want to check out the shooting event too:
Shooting (competitive event)
Be as fast as a speeding bullet. Make a release as quickly after the games as possible. the release must be made AFTER your team's Opening Ceremony release. The fastest release after 00.01 GMT on 1st June wins.
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/shooting.html

You're free to join in with both, neither, or just the opening ceremony. And of course you can enter the shooting anytime, I'm just drawing everyone's attention to it ;)

----- ----- -----
Don't forget to PM all your releases to me; it would really help if you could include in the PM your team name and what event the release is for, as well as a link to the book :D That would just make my job keeping track of all the releases SO much easier
Profile Image
That would just make my job keeping track of all the releases SO much easier

Who says, that we will make it easy for you? :-P ^^

I'm excited to see what we all will do with the themes. :-)
Profile Image
Play begins 00.01 GMT on the 1st June AND
Shooting (competitive event) The fastest release after 00.01 GMT on 1st June wins.

Living on the continent, I do not expect myself walking around after 01.01 GMT, so I follow Baron de Coubertin............
Profile Image
Play begins 00.01 GMT on the 1st June AND
Shooting (competitive event) The fastest release after 00.01 GMT on 1st June wins.

O damn. I misread. Till I saw your post, passmaster, I thought it was to follow as quickly as possible after out own Opening Ceremonies. <sigh> oh, well....

Vekiki~ these releases are to be in two entirely different locations, yes?

Profile Image

Vekiki~ these releases are to be in two entirely different locations, yes?

well, they can be, or they can be next to each other. I intended to do ours for Team Wales at opposite ends of a bridge, but actually I spotted a much better release spot for the shooting release today... I wonder how fast I can run there???
Two releases though, and the opening ceremony one first!

Profile Image

Oh Bother!

This busines with the labels was't as easy as I thought. :-(
I think I can get some help in making a document, but I don't think I have anywhere to actually "put" them.

Perhaps it is possible to upload to the german bc-site (where Wyando have already put the logos) or on the BC Olympics blog.
In any case I would need to ask either Vekiki or Wyando to pm me an ordernary e-mail adress so I can mail the document to you.
What do you think? Do you have enough space to store a document?
Profile Image
You got a PM.

Will then check out the document, just try to keep that one as small as possible. :)
I guess I can put that document on the "olympics logo page":
http://www.bookcrossers.de/bcolympics

(gonna reformat that page I guess)
Profile Image
Do you have enough space to store a document?

Email your documents to me - vikki at bookcrossing dot com
I'll see what i can do :-)
Profile Image

A late entry

I've just noticed this and it sounds great! Please can I play for The Shire? Happy for anyone else to join me, you don't have to have hairy feet. I'll send a PM.
Profile Image
I would be glad to join team The Shire.
Profile Image
Yey! Team Shire now has two people. Thanks for joining maju30!
I've sent Vekiki a logo for our team page.
Profile Image
Well not heard a peep from family members I hoped to make a team up with so have to play by myself quietly in the corner or go with plan B hope that team Yorkshire will have me on their team??

If Diane-Fraser and Saskiasosmile will have me please add to team
Thanks
Sarah x
Profile Image
Do not start without us.
We are the land Zoologia and our team members are:
Drachenkater, Eurydike and me

May the best team win ;)
Profile Image

brilliant

pm'ing Vekiki, I know diane-fraser from our BC monopoly game last year so I'd like to join team Yorkshire if they'll have me?

I've got a wee pile of books to be released having just closed an OBCZ, so let the fun commence!
Profile Image

RE: brilliant

pm'ing Vekiki, I know diane-fraser from our BC monopoly game last year so I'd like to join team Yorkshire if they'll have me?

Team Yorkshire are full :( They have 3 players, which is the maximum - otherwise it's not fair on other teams, and also it means there's plenty for each player to do.
Lots of teams are looking for more players though - teams Shire, Twente, France, Germany & Russia are ones that I know of that have said they'd like more members - how about joining one of those? Or of course you can start your own if you prefer :)
Profile Image

I've got a wee pile of books to be released having just closed an OBCZ, so let the fun commence!

How many participants can be in a team? Team Yorkshire is already: Diane_fraser, me, and newly-joined foxy737.
It depends on the rules. (have to re-read) and on what the other teammembers think
Profile Image

How many participants can be in a team? Team Yorkshire is already: Diane_fraser, me, and newly-joined foxy737.
It depends on the rules. (have to re-read) and on what the other teammembers think

Pam99 got reply from Vekiki saying team Yorkshire full as max 3 members but if she starts a team herself maybe we can help each other out on events where you need a member of another team to swap with or other such challenges?? Mind a bit fuzzy as so many challenges to remember but sure I read a few were teams have to help each other to bth get points??
Profile Image

Pam99 got reply from Vekiki saying team Yorkshire full as max 3 members but if she starts a team herself maybe we can help each other out on events where you need a member of another team to swap with or other such challenges?? Mind a bit fuzzy as so many challenges to remember but sure I read a few were teams have to help each other to bth get points??

Pam has joined passmaster in team twente - I'm sure you guys can still collaborate together to help each other out!
Profile Image

Pam has joined passmaster in team twente - I'm sure you guys can still collaborate together to help each other out!

Thanks for update Vekiki just PM'd you some queries when you get a moment if you could clarify prior to setting up releases, thanks x
Profile Image
I'd like to start as Team Ankh-Morpork. Maybe someone likes to join me?
Profile Image
kicks off in a few hours.
http://bookcrossingolympics.blogspot.co.uk/---/opening-ceremony.html

Participating in the release for this is not compulsory if you don't want to....
but if your team wants to enter the shooting event, then you need to do the opening ceremony first.

I do encourage all teams to take part in teh opening ceremony to give the games a good start!

Otherwise, you can just start making whatever releases for whatever events your team wants to do... in about 3 hours and 35 minutes that is...

1 2 3 4 ... 14  Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.