corner corner Snap release game NEW THREAD

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Snap release game NEW THREAD

Old and New Players all welcome

Here's how it works:
It's based on the kids game snap, only with wild released books. I start off the game by releasing a book, posting here to say I released Book A by suchandsuch
The next person claims Snap. They then have 24 hours to release a book that matches book A (same keyword in title/author name - not counting 'the' 'a' etc...), and post about it here
The next person to claim has 24 hours to release a matching book to the last one...
and so on.

So, for example,
I release: The End of Faith
next person releases: The End of Mr Y
next person releases: Mr Nobody's Eyes by michael morpurgo
next person releases; Jurassic park by Michael crichton
and one and on...

* you have to claim the Snap, so that everyone else knows you're planning a release (don't say the book title at this point, otherwise people can plan in advance) - claims are first come first served
* after claiming, you have 24 hours to make the release and tell us about it with a link to the book.
* after 24 hours, if you didn't report back your release, your claim is invalid and other people can claim in your place. So, after 24 hours, the snap is back up for grabs. Until someone grabs it, a delayed release report will still count. But once someone else has claimed it, it's theirs (for 24 hours at least...)
* you can't snap twice in a row - you can't snap your own release, as it were
* wild releases only, no controlled releases

Don't be put off by our incredibly long list of rules – the game is actually incredibly simple, it's just that we enjoy working out the details!

Words that can snap:
* keywords with title/author only, not 'the','a','and', etc. To help you work out what is a keyword and what is not, consider what words you might search a database for, or ask a bookstore clerk when you can't quite remember the exact title.
* Flipping between plural/singular of words is allowed - so if I release The Beach, you can release Beaches (and vice versa)
*flipping between tenses of a word is allowed - so if I release 'The Slap' you can release 'Slapped by an invisible hand' (and vice versa)
*splitting and forming compound words is allowed - so if I release 'The Sea', you can release 'The seagull' (and vice versa). But you CANNOT release 'The Seasons,' because that is a separate word that just happens to contain the same letters - not a compound. Compound words are amalgamations of two words, both retaining their meaning, to form one new word.
* You can snap on numbers featured in the title, and you can transform numbers between digit and letter form (from 6 to six and vice-versa). You can also add or remove a 'th' (so you can go from 6 to sixth or 6th). But you cannot snap using embedded numbers - so you cannot go from 1984 to 84 (or 38198427)
*embedded words are NOT allowed
* subtitles: whether the subtitle is available for snapping or not is up to the person who releases the book. If you think the subtitle of your release is a significant part of the title, please include that information in your post. the same applies to the inclusion / exclusion of illustrators, adapters, collection editors et al.
* non-english books are welcome to - use a translation of the title to snap with, and provide us with the translation when you post so that people can use that to snap back ;) So, if I release The Prisoner, you are welcome to snap that with Harry Potter et le Prisonnier d'Azkaban, and vise versa
* you cannot snap a book with the same book (but repeats of books from earlier in the game are fine), unless you have a copy printed under an alternate or foreign-language title (using the author name as the snapped-word)
* Author names snapped must be an exact match. Anne is not Anna or Ann. Richard is not Dick or Rich. Vikki is most certainly not Victoria ;)
* Author names that also have another meaning can be snapped using it as such - you can snap a Stephen King book with Once And Only King

In the case of an unsnappable book;
when a book has gone 24 hours with no one snapping it, GoG will make an announcement that it is deemed unsnappable. She will then release a new, unrelated book to be snapped on, and the game will continue from there. Until GoG's declaration of unsnappabilty, the book may still be snapped on (eg if GoG is asleep when the 24 hour mark passes, the book remains in play and open to snapping until such point as she awakens and announces)

>> If you are snapping, please check it is on the most recent book. The game will at some point run over multiple pages (the woes of popularity, eh?) so be sure to view the latest one (depending on the way you view the forum posts) <<

It's just for fun, no points or prizes or the like, though there is a list of the books released for this game here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/471178 (maintained by Wolfie, thankyou!)
and....
I will provide a prize for the first person who wild releases a snap game book by strapping it to a duck. (Without hurting the duck. Duck-torture will be punished with a life-long snap ban.)

you don't need to sign up or anything - just jump in when you can

The specific rules of this game have become very much a community work, everyone throwing in their two cents as any issues or ideas arise, so do feel free to contribute or provide feedback. Here's the original thread in case you want to look back over how we got to this point; http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470285

Tip: In some cases, two people snap at almost the same time, and the forum postings can go out of order. When this happens, look at the addresses of the individual postings (either by clicking through to them, or hover over the link and look in the status bar of your browser) - the last number of the links is the chronological order of the posting - the first one (ie the lower number) wins

Regular Players: Although it is not a hard and fast rule, it is considered good etiquette for frequent snappers not to take *too* long to release their book :D

Complete Thread

1 2 3 4 ... 73  Next 

Profile Image
Old and New Players all welcome

Here's how it works:
It's based on the kids game snap, only with wild released books. I start off the game by releasing a book, posting here to say I released Book A by suchandsuch
The next person claims Snap. They then have 24 hours to release a book that matches book A (same keyword in title/author name - not counting 'the' 'a' etc...), and post about it here
The next person to claim has 24 hours to release a matching book to the last one...
and so on.

So, for example,
I release: The End of Faith
next person releases: The End of Mr Y
next person releases: Mr Nobody's Eyes by michael morpurgo
next person releases; Jurassic park by Michael crichton
and one and on...

* you have to claim the Snap, so that everyone else knows you're planning a release (don't say the book title at this point, otherwise people can plan in advance) - claims are first come first served
* after claiming, you have 24 hours to make the release and tell us about it with a link to the book.
* after 24 hours, if you didn't report back your release, your claim is invalid and other people can claim in your place. So, after 24 hours, the snap is back up for grabs. Until someone grabs it, a delayed release report will still count. But once someone else has claimed it, it's theirs (for 24 hours at least...)
* you can't snap twice in a row - you can't snap your own release, as it were
* wild releases only, no controlled releases

Don't be put off by our incredibly long list of rules – the game is actually incredibly simple, it's just that we enjoy working out the details!

Words that can snap:
* keywords with title/author only, not 'the','a','and', etc. To help you work out what is a keyword and what is not, consider what words you might search a database for, or ask a bookstore clerk when you can't quite remember the exact title.
* Flipping between plural/singular of words is allowed - so if I release The Beach, you can release Beaches (and vice versa)
*flipping between tenses of a word is allowed - so if I release 'The Slap' you can release 'Slapped by an invisible hand' (and vice versa)
*splitting and forming compound words is allowed - so if I release 'The Sea', you can release 'The seagull' (and vice versa). But you CANNOT release 'The Seasons,' because that is a separate word that just happens to contain the same letters - not a compound. Compound words are amalgamations of two words, both retaining their meaning, to form one new word.
* You can snap on numbers featured in the title, and you can transform numbers between digit and letter form (from 6 to six and vice-versa). You can also add or remove a 'th' (so you can go from 6 to sixth or 6th). But you cannot snap using embedded numbers - so you cannot go from 1984 to 84 (or 38198427)
*embedded words are NOT allowed
* subtitles: whether the subtitle is available for snapping or not is up to the person who releases the book. If you think the subtitle of your release is a significant part of the title, please include that information in your post. the same applies to the inclusion / exclusion of illustrators, adapters, collection editors et al.
* non-english books are welcome to - use a translation of the title to snap with, and provide us with the translation when you post so that people can use that to snap back ;) So, if I release The Prisoner, you are welcome to snap that with Harry Potter et le Prisonnier d'Azkaban, and vise versa
* you cannot snap a book with the same book (but repeats of books from earlier in the game are fine), unless you have a copy printed under an alternate or foreign-language title (using the author name as the snapped-word)
* Author names snapped must be an exact match. Anne is not Anna or Ann. Richard is not Dick or Rich. Vikki is most certainly not Victoria ;)
* Author names that also have another meaning can be snapped using it as such - you can snap a Stephen King book with Once And Only King

In the case of an unsnappable book;
when a book has gone 24 hours with no one snapping it, GoG will make an announcement that it is deemed unsnappable. She will then release a new, unrelated book to be snapped on, and the game will continue from there. Until GoG's declaration of unsnappabilty, the book may still be snapped on (eg if GoG is asleep when the 24 hour mark passes, the book remains in play and open to snapping until such point as she awakens and announces)

>> If you are snapping, please check it is on the most recent book. The game will at some point run over multiple pages (the woes of popularity, eh?) so be sure to view the latest one (depending on the way you view the forum posts) <<

It's just for fun, no points or prizes or the like, though there is a list of the books released for this game here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/471178 (maintained by Wolfie, thankyou!)
and....
I will provide a prize for the first person who wild releases a snap game book by strapping it to a duck. (Without hurting the duck. Duck-torture will be punished with a life-long snap ban.)

you don't need to sign up or anything - just jump in when you can

The specific rules of this game have become very much a community work, everyone throwing in their two cents as any issues or ideas arise, so do feel free to contribute or provide feedback. Here's the original thread in case you want to look back over how we got to this point; http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470285

Tip: In some cases, two people snap at almost the same time, and the forum postings can go out of order. When this happens, look at the addresses of the individual postings (either by clicking through to them, or hover over the link and look in the status bar of your browser) - the last number of the links is the chronological order of the posting - the first one (ie the lower number) wins

Regular Players: Although it is not a hard and fast rule, it is considered good etiquette for frequent snappers not to take *too* long to release their book :D
Profile Image
We are waiting on a release from NancyNova, as she currently holds the snap
Profile Image
Snap mark II?
Profile Image
why? It's still the same game, not a second generation remodelling! :)
Profile Image
why?

Well, If a new thread is desired so that handhelds and mobile units don't get overwhelmed that might make mark2.
Profile Image
why?

Well, If a new thread is desired so that handhelds and mobile units don't get overwhelmed that might make mark2.

Or rather mark0, since that would mean that we have travelled back in time about two years to the time when such a problem still existed ;-)

IIRC someone claimed to have problems with M$-InternetExploder, not with mobile devices. Well ok. But unless that IE does some weird stuff it really should not do I can't imagine that the problems are connected with the thread length in any case. BC does split up threads into pages of 100, so the pages don't get longer with any additional posting. If a browser is unable to handle 100 postings, it's basically unable to handle most of the forum; if it's able to handle 100 postings, another 1000 wouldn't make a difference since they are not on the same page.

So is there really another problem with IE than the general one of it being IE?

P.S.: I don't really mind that we have a new thread. If people prefer their threads short, so be it - however, it's a choice of short threads now, not a necessity to avoid technical problems as it used to be earlier.
Profile Image
So is there really another problem with IE than the general one of it being IE?

It was just IE being....well - IE. I have to use IE at work, so I tend to use it automatically at home, with ALWAYS a backup browser available for when IE gets persnickity.
Profile Image
The Short History of a PRINCE by Jane Hamilton http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10245649/

Snapped on the word PRINCE, with a bookbox book from Copchic905. It's at the Philadelphia Wanamaker Building OBCZ now.
Profile Image

SNAP

Profile Image
As long as it loads (snicker)
Profile Image
this is now travelling

The Historian: to you, perceptive reader, I bequeath my HISTORY... By Elizabeth Kostova

http://Www.bookcrossing.com/---/10390264/

I was tempted to release a copy of The Little Prince, but thought we might end up in some continual loop!
Profile Image

RE: Released

I was tempted to release a copy of The Little Prince, but thought we might end up in some continual loop!

And here I had another copy ready just in case we did...
Profile Image

And here I had another copy ready just in case we did...

not just you... ;)

(At least a good book to be spread into the world :))
Profile Image

Snap!

:)
Profile Image

RE: Snap!

It happened again! I snapped in 27 seconds and now its seems again as I had snapped before the release.
Profile Image
Vekikikiki

The link to wolfie's list didn't copy across correctly. It thinks it is a journal entry and not a forum/23 post.
Profile Image
fixed (or should be, at least)
Profile Image

SNAP

will release later this afternoon.
Profile Image

snap

Profile Image

Released

BITING the Bullet by Jennifer Rardin http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10432704

Profile Image

Snap!

Now to find the book I'm thinking of in the boxes in the garage.
Profile Image

Thank you, now I can stop searching and go to sleep. ;)
Profile Image

Released

"How Many Miles To Babylon?" by JENNIFER Johnston
Profile Image

snap

19 minutes? You guys afre slacking.

It'll be the morning (GMT) before i release. everyone stand down!
Profile Image
Vekiki, you've created a monster...and isn't it fun?! :p
Profile Image
so long as you guys keep helping me cut heads off so no one gets eaten :D
Profile Image

RE: snap

It'll be the morning (GMT) before i release. everyone stand down!

It's now afternoon UTC/GMT... the monster didn't actually eat the book, did it?
But... anyway... I'd say it would still count as a release long as you dropped it off at the location before it was eaten. Not if it was eaten out of your bag, though.
Profile Image

RE: RE: snap

It would. I am keeping you waiting becasue I want to register,m release and report in the shortest time possible to disuade bookshelf stalking... And I will have perfect conditions for such on my dinner break shortly.
Also, it is fun to watch you all squirm.

No monsters so far, book safe in handbag...
Profile Image
It would. I am keeping you waiting becasue I want to register,m release and report in the shortest time possible to disuade bookshelf stalking...

If you're so concerned about bookshelf stalking, you could just register the book as "Placeholder" or something like that, and then edit the bookdata after the release.

Profile Image

Snap....

Woohoo - can't believe it. Now have to rustle up a book :-)
Profile Image
And it will be tomorrow morning US time folks....I just took a trip around the office checking out the OBCZ and other books stashes - nothing here that matches (but there are a few at home).
Profile Image
James Herriot's Favorite DOG Stories by James Herriot http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6307735/

Snap on the word DOG

Released to the post office OBCZ box, and picked up by the very next patron in the building as I left. Now crossing my fingers that it gets journaled {grin}.
Profile Image

Snap!!

Finally got one. Will release it tomorrow.
Profile Image
written/compiled by JAMES C. Humes. Word snapped = James.
Profile Image

Snap!

Profile Image

Again I was too fast to snap :)

Profile Image

Snap

Edited to add:

Sorry T02S03B11D20 ... my snap was earlier! BC messes that up, but it's clear by the numbers: Your posting is #7477205, my posting #7477203.

However, it won't take long until it's released, maybe you'll have another chance then :)
Profile Image

Snap!

I know I have something!
Profile Image
Letters from the Night
by: Robert Dessaix

Word snapped: Letter
German title: Briefe aus der Nacht
Title of the english edition: NIght letters

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10401981
Profile Image

SNAP!

Profile Image

Released

Lammas NIGHT by Katherine Kurtz.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10426813/
Profile Image
Wow. You guys are slow today.
Profile Image
I've nothing suitable in my bookshelf :) By the way, did you know, that 'lammas' is a sheep in Finnish!?

Profile Image

It's now about 20:00 in Central Europe, dark and -10°C. I've done the trip to the park to release a book once today, don't need that another time in the night ;)
Profile Image
I liked that one! I didn't know about the Finnish sheep, though. :p
Profile Image

Snap

you leave a girl no choice!
Profile Image

RE: Snap

I just arrived back home and was happy to see I could do a snappy... but V was just seconds before :)

*going to update the list now...*
Profile Image
But not been quick enough. Life is getting in the way me this game! ;)
Profile Image
Life is getting in the way me this game! ;)

you need to prioritize - things like eating, working, seeing your friends are not as important as snapping, but they'll get in the way if you let them
Profile Image
eating, working, seeing your friends

sleeping?
Profile Image

sleeping?

sure, all those petty things
Profile Image

sleeping?

Yep all those petty things- shopping, reading too. Could have snapped you again today Vekiki but had popped round to the in-laws for an hour :) Out visiting family later so will probably miss another one or two!
Profile Image

sleeping?

Yep all those petty things- shopping, reading too. Could have snapped you again today Vekiki but had popped round to the in-laws for an hour :) Out visiting family later so will probably miss another one or two!

Yeah, or being on the road for work, or going to gig of Anna Ternheim this evening... :)
Profile Image
... going to gig of Anna Ternheim this evening... :)

Do you get a discount for bulk buying tickets? ;)
Profile Image
... going to gig of Anna Ternheim this evening... :)

Do you get a discount for bulk buying tickets? ;)

Nope. Unfortunately, I only can go twice, the other dates don't fit my agenda. So, until now it was the one in London last November and today in Cologne. But both in a church :)
Profile Image
sleeping?

Sleeping is so much overrated :P
Profile Image

OF

This game!
Profile Image

Snap!

My turn
Profile Image
I believe that is a release?
Profile Image
I believe that is a release?

yup, it's yours
Profile Image
The Lord God Made Them All by JAMES Herriot
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10283219/
Profile Image

Hmmph!

Not got a book that matches now :(
Profile Image

SNAP!

Profile Image

Release!

Murder Past Due (Cat in the Stacks Mystery) by Miranda JAMES
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10439403
Profile Image
will release this afternoon.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10439748?... A Mind to Murder by P.D. James
Profile Image

Snap!

will be released later today.
Profile Image
A Mind to Murder by P.D. James

I suppose the snapped word was MURDER?
(It's for the statistics on the words used, as also JAMES would be possible, but for the stats I only count one word for a snap...)
Profile Image
I couldn't make up my mind, so I will say the snap word was "MURDER".
Profile Image
Snapped word: MIND

I Never Loved Your Mind by Paul Zindel
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10438100

That way we're definitely off James...
Profile Image

Snap!

8 pm local time. release tomorrow.
Profile Image

Release

The Brooklyn Follies by PAUL Auster http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10440890
Profile Image

Snap!

I haven't got the energy to go out this evening so you'll have to wait until tomorrow. Just relax :)
Profile Image

Released

A Little FOLLY by Jude Morgan
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10361970/

The snapped word was FOLLY (from plural form FOLLIES to singular)
Profile Image

Snap!

good morning.
Profile Image

Release

The Cat's LITTLE Instruction Book by Leigh W. Rutledge
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10419625/
Profile Image

Snap!

I don't think, that I will release it today, probably tomorrow morning.
Profile Image
(made you look)
Profile Image
(made you look)

Whatever. I'm probably not going to release any book today anyway. Whoever takes the next snap (or the timeout) won't have to compete with me ;)
Profile Image
Whoever takes the next snap (or the timeout) won't have to compete with me ;)

Makes a change!
Profile Image
you are wicked in slow times!
Profile Image
to everyone!
Profile Image
to everyone!

This could hardly be an unhappier day.

Not for the fact of it being single-depressing-day (this does luckily not have much of a meaning here) but for some other reason. Not being more specific to avoid opening another of those Pandora boxes.
Profile Image
other reason

Here's wishing warm breezes, sun glinting off ice, and gorgeous scenery to bring at least a ray of happiness today. So there.
Profile Image

Released

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8573167?...
Handy problems....
Der Findefuchs - Wie der KLEINE fuchs eine mutter bekam.
The ? Finding fox? - how the LITTLE fox got a mother
Profile Image

Snap

Snap
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10431978

Released The LITTLE Friend by Donna Tartt
Profile Image

Snap!

I just couldn't resist this one as I opened the computer the right moment :)
It's 7pm now, I won't release this evening...
Profile Image
t's 7pm now, I won't release this evening...

It's not everywhere in the world....now all the american's and australians will be twiddling their thumbs.
Profile Image

RE: RE: Snap!

it's wine o'clock somewhere...
Profile Image
Yeah, and at least I got a 'catch' to entertain me from yesterday
First one for me on a snap.
Profile Image

And a Newbie :) *bravo!*
Profile Image

That's brilliant. Snap catches are a great part of this game. Wolfie, can you give us the stats for how many books have been caught and the number of new members due to this game?
Profile Image
Wolfie, can you give us the stats for how many books have been caught and the number of new members due to this game?

A>s of 15 Feb and told so here in the forum:
There have been 99 books released so far. (98 snaps!)
Of these releases, 6 books has been reported as found.
Of these found books, 4 newbies has joined bookcrossing.

(It's part of the monthly statistic anyway :))

(Only the first Journal after a SNAP!-release will be counted. Either it's a newbie or found by an already signed up bookcrosser or AF.

1 2 3 4 ... 73  Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.