corner corner Monoploy Turn THIRTEEN

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Monoploy Turn THIRTEEN

Submit the details of your teams completed challenge - including a link to the book's page (and pictures if you want) - to Vekiki's email (Don't PM please).
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 6th November
Next turn will be announced on Monday 7th November
Refresh on how to play here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/how-to-play.html
or view the gameboard here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/turn-thirteen.html

Please Note; This is the last turn in which bonus points will be handed out (except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances!) as GoG does not want to be in a position of effectively choosing the winner :)

Battleships (11)
I suppose it'll be naval history for you... let's hope you have interesting belly-buttons!

Cannons (3)
Roll Three and climb a tree (Oh, cummon, it *nearly* rhymes)
Plus get fruity with a collect the oranges release

Boots (4)
take a pew, put your feet up...
Collect the Pinks!

Iron ( 7) and Racecar
It's your turn in the limelight
Both teams Collect the light blues
Racecar: celebrate passing go!

Moneybags (11)
A night in the Ritz for you moneybags
Collect the dark blues

Scottie Dogs (9)
Rest a book at a rest-a-rant

Thimbles (2)
Not moving too fast around the board... almost as still as a statue...
Collect the greens

Top Hats (11)
Are you square pegs in round holes? Let's see
Collect the yellows

Trains (3)
well, most new cities were built around the train station, so it makes sense you're in the centre
Collect the Light Blues

Wheelbarrows (2)
Better wear your Sunday best, you're off to church
Collect the browns

Wolf (12)
Don't scare off that leprechaun - maybe he'll tell you where the rainbow ends

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Submit the details of your teams completed challenge - including a link to the book's page (and pictures if you want) - to Vekiki's email (Don't PM please).
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 6th November
Next turn will be announced on Monday 7th November
Refresh on how to play here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/how-to-play.html
or view the gameboard here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/turn-thirteen.html

Please Note; This is the last turn in which bonus points will be handed out (except in EXCEPTIONAL circumstances!) as GoG does not want to be in a position of effectively choosing the winner :)

Battleships (11)
I suppose it'll be naval history for you... let's hope you have interesting belly-buttons!

Cannons (3)
Roll Three and climb a tree (Oh, cummon, it *nearly* rhymes)
Plus get fruity with a collect the oranges release

Boots (4)
take a pew, put your feet up...
Collect the Pinks!

Iron ( 7) and Racecar
It's your turn in the limelight
Both teams Collect the light blues
Racecar: celebrate passing go!

Moneybags (11)
A night in the Ritz for you moneybags
Collect the dark blues

Scottie Dogs (9)
Rest a book at a rest-a-rant

Thimbles (2)
Collect the greens

Top Hats (11)
Are you square pegs in round holes? Let's see
Collect the yellows

Trains (3)
well, most new cities were built around the train station, so it makes sense you're in the centre
Collect the Light Blues

Wheelbarrows (2)
Better wear your Sunday best, you're off to church
Collect the browns

Wolf (12)
Don't scare off that leprechaun - maybe he'll tell you where the rainbow ends
Profile Image

Thimbles (2)

Looks like Bally hasn't studied very hard...

Profile Image

i.e. creativity won't be rewared, but the only way to make more points is getting catches, so certain teams will get even more desperate and will release even more than a dozen books???
Profile Image

i.e. creativity won't be rewared, but the only way to make more points is getting catches, so certain teams will get even more desperate and will release even more than a dozen books???

I don't think any team is desperate, after all it is only a game. And teams can still be as creative as they like, because that is part of the fun of taking part in the game.
Profile Image

That is certinly not my aim. that's why i said exceptional releases will still be rewarded.
But I refuse to be put into a position whereby I am choosing the winner by choosing to award a bonus point to one team but not another. It's an idea I stole from iiwi when he hosted the game, and I am using it too becasue it means I cannot be put in an akward position.
Profile Image
will release even more than a dozen books???

Right, I restrained myself in my original reply. but a hour later I am still muttering under my breath with fustration, so here y'all go...

We have had this discussion, several times now. You know where I stand, and I hope I have made the reasoning behind the rules clear. I am all for questioning the rules (which I am more than willing to admit are imperfect because I wanted to keep then relativly simple), making suggestions and the like - but when you keep complaining about the same thing, that I have explained the reasoning behind (and was in fact decided before we started play), it is just exhausting.
I do not see why it bothers anyone so much, that another team is using a different tactic to their team. That is how games are played. But if it does bother you to the point of you not enjoying the game, I'm very sorry. Ultimatly, If you are not having fun no one is forcing you to keep playing.
I am putting much time and effort into hosting, and I know players are putting in the same, all trying to just enjoy ourselves. we enjoy outselves in different ways, but accomadating that is part of playing together.

Can we please not have this converstaion again?

Thankyou
GoG (now off for cup of tea and relaxing biscuit.)
Profile Image
I am putting much time and effort into hosting

I was planning to say this at the very end of the game, but, due the circumstances, I just want to say right now, that you are doing a very good job here!!
Profile Image
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 23th October
Next turn will be announced on Monday 24th October

Umm, maybe I'm being dense but here in Canada it is already Monday the 24th of October. Usually we have two weeks to do the releases. GoG can you check this?
Profile Image
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 23th October
Next turn will be announced on Monday 24th October

Umm, maybe I'm being dense but here in Canada it is already Monday the 24th of October. Usually we have two weeks to do the releases. GoG can you check this?

GoG does not abide by your humanoid perceptions of Time. she suggets you play with relativity and make your releases last week ;)

Profile Image

GoG does not abide by your humanoid perceptions of Time. she suggets you play with relativity and make your releases last week ;)

Do we get the last two weeks all over again? Cool! Hope we get all the lovely weather we've been having, too;-) On the other hand, I hope I don't have to redo all the extra *iron*ing I had to do. Ha! Kind of *iron*ic, for a member of Team Iron;-D

Profile Image

I forgot for a moment that you are a Goddess so of course you have a different perception of Time. Please forgive me. I'll go start up the Time Machine right now.
Profile Image
Please forgive me. I'll go start up the Time Machine right now.

Oh god, I don't think team wolf have a time machine...maybe we could just send out a signal to the Doctor to pick us up. Anyone got an English or German to Galilean Dictionary so I can carve something on a cliff??
Profile Image
Anyone got an English or German to Galilean Dictionary so I can carve something on a cliff??

google translate. it's not perfect, but he'll know what you mean.
Profile Image
simply a question, seeking information.....are other teams all planning on the multiple release route now? Just wondering if we should reconsider.....
Profile Image
simply a question, seeking information.....are other teams all planning on the multiple release route now? Just wondering if we should reconsider.....

Personally, I prefer the way we play the game. I like the creativity and fun we have had making the releases. I don't like the multiple release idea, easier but less effort and I think we concentrate on our one release more.
Profile Image
For all your work on this FUN game. I really don't care on what tactics teams use as long as more books are getting out there.

Some weeks all three of my team members will release and other weeks we are unable to do so. So far, we have ensured a release has been submitted every week and don't really have any set pattern on how we do our releases or indeed choose them.

This week I asked my 1 year old granddaughter to pull our names out of a cup as we had all done releases that fitted in with our challenge. I was most disappointed that my name didn't get chosen lol.

I am really enjoying looking for books that fit in each week and have, for the first time, released books I haven't actually read just to stay in the game!

I enjoy reading your blog every week to see what 'creations' have been made. I made a bookmark for Bally last week and my book was taken within hours of me leaving it in the wild - it wasn't chosen for that turn but I am just happy to know someone somewhere is enjoying my book and maybe laughing at my crafting skills and also are now aware of bookcrossing.com

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10210760/

I will be interested to know at the end of the game how many books we actually got out there including those not actually submitted for the game. I am sure we have certainly increased the amount of Wild submissions over the past few months :)
Profile Image
Well I'm glad you are all having fun :) that's what matters

Sorry if my message yesterday seemed a bit snappy - I was a bit on edge anyway with BC (there has been some nastiness on the BCUK email message list) and I think I kinda hit snapping point. I know none of you are really complaining, but I just couldn't be doing with anymore snitting about :)

anyway - I will be doing a sort of round up of how many books were reelased in the game, where, how many catches, some of my favourite releases and all that after the final turn :)

hmm, lots of smilies today, I must have gotten over my grump!
Profile Image
Hi There
Well Remembered Days by Arthur Matthews (a fictional biography of a Irish Catholic) and Genesis Machines by Martyn Amos (a book about Biocomputing with Genesis in the title)[BONUS RELEASE FOR PASSING GO].
Both were released in a nativity display-style installation outside Chris Church Cathedral in Newcastle. Here are a few images below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/---/DiBgv83Hodn2r_rWLx0fnw?...
https://picasaweb.google.com/---/X2xHD0sLwwgVcxG2Sv7ejg?...
https://picasaweb.google.com/---/0B0gIJuAz3kXUgmuSezwSw?...
https://picasaweb.google.com/---/qoxytw7LPz7Po4l1X0PBcg?...

cheers DM
Profile Image
So, i've just realised something a little bit made of fail on my part...
I am away on hoiliday for two weeks during the time that turn 15 - the final turn - is due to end
Now, I am unwilling to extend the turns and finish the game after I get back, as it's so near to christmas everyone will be mega busy - So I am thinking one of these two solutions;
Plan A: (this is what I think is best) make turn 14 just one week - 6th nov til 13th nov, then shorten turn 15 just a smidgen to finish on friday 25th nov (I go away saturday 26th) at the slightly earlier hour of 7pm to allow me to get to bed at a reasonable time that night
Plan B: have a normal 2 week turn 14 (6th nov - 20th nov) then a super quick 'sprint to the finish' for turn 15
what do you guys think? Any other suggestions?
I'm so sorry, I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier!
Profile Image
Now, I am unwilling to extend the turns and finish the game after I get back, as it's so near to christmas

I don't mind this.
Profile Image
Plan A: (this is what I think is best) make turn 14 just one week - 6th nov til 13th nov, then shorten turn 15 just a smidgen to finish on friday 25th nov (I go away saturday 26th) at the slightly earlier hour of 7pm to allow me to get to bed at a reasonable time that night

A sprint and then a bit of time to recover.

And you can't have made a mistake, you are GoG and always right. That's like questioning what the hell was going on when the platypus emerged from the evolutionary bubble/was created by God (delete according to your beliefs). The platypus just is man, as is changes to the timing of the monopoly board game turns.
Profile Image

If turn 14 is one week long and a team lands on "superspeed", does that mean they have to release a book in 3.5 days? I think it does.
Profile Image
You ARE Goddess of Game, so use your powers and decide *veg*
(Still, nice to offer solutions and make us feel we have a choice. So I think Plan A is a very good solution :))
Profile Image
Hey,
btw I am for plan A.
O.k. so this Turn was especially nice for me. Due to the fact that my scholarship people are the same people who give out the anual German enviromental price (a price for inovative ideas technological or otherwise to make the world a greener place (its 500000 Euros btw)) I got an invitation to watch the ceremony. Each year this is in a different city and this year it was Stuttgart. So I took my best clothes and this little book, I have recently found in my OBCZ about a piano player on a cruise ship, and headed out.
The event is always great with discussions between our head politicians about how to face future problems and usually some music, ballet or such. This time, very fitting I thought, it was music by Dauner&Dauner a famous father son team the father on the piano (son on the drums). It was amazing!
So I left my little book in front of the concert hall on a tree and lucky me it got picked up and journaled before I even got home :-)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7566719
Profile Image
Sunday I cycled some 70 kilometers to get some books (the things we do for bookcrossing...). (When I was surveyed a couple of weeks ago I crossed the box: 'I'm not very sporty' :) )
I took some books with me to release, and visited my former hometown, which was on the way. I had not been there since I moved, I think more then 15 years ago. Everything was the same, the supermarkets I lived above, the doctorsbuilding I lived in a room in, but there was a new building, and it was a hotel! Turn 13 in mind I released a book there, and it has been caught, with a new member!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5075106

The booktitle means 'The big world'.

in the journal she says she was quitely drinking a cup of tea when she saw someone parking a bike in front of the hotel and leaving something at the entrance. She liked to be suprised in this way.
Profile Image
Ha ha, little did she know she had spotted the rare but famous iiwi!
Profile Image
Normally I don't go celebrating my releases in the forum, because they are not as dashing as some of the rest of them. However, at the moment I am feeling rather pleased with myself, so I will make an exception.

Team Top Hat landed on "square" this time and Vekiki asked about square pegs and round holes. Alas, no one on the team had pegs or holes of any shape, but what we did have was a book with "circle" in the title: How to Read a Poem . . . and Start a Poetry Circle. This was just released at Mount Vernon Square here in Washington DC, which is the northern boundary of the Mount Vernon Triangle Business District. Both the book itself and the building in the middle (a former library endowed by Andrew Carnegie) are rectangles, so we have all of the basic shapes covered.

But the most exciting part: first time I have successfully managed to associate a release photo with the JE. And I am hoping that the exact location I chose is a good omen for getting a catch. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9906271
Profile Image
Good job Team Top Hat!
Profile Image
Nice!
Profile Image
well done, six :-)
Profile Image
Love that release and picture!!
Profile Image
Our assignment was to make a "fruity" release to complete the orange section of the board.

Since it was Halloween, we released "Five Quarters of the Orange" in a glow in the dark ghost bucket, besides a bench downtown in hopes that little trick or treaters would find it that night.

Along with the book was included a plastic bag containing a BC postcard, explaining what was going on, and also some candy for the finder of the book.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6288002

Profile Image
This round the Thimbles has to do a green release and a statue release.

For the green release, the Thimbles plan to release a green book in a nice green field. However, when Bally sees the title of the book, he gets other ideas. Bally realizes that the BC Convention in Dublin is only a few months away, and he better starts getting ready for it. First item on his prep list: Learn to drink like an Irish! So off to the pub he goes!

We have prepared a green bag for him to take along. There is the green book, along with a green pen, green candy, a green dollar bookmark, a Mardi Gras bead to get him into partying mood, and a can of green tea as it's supposedly a good cure for hangovers. And is Bally turning a bit green in the face from the drinking?

Anyway, Bally finds The Lucky Clover Irish Pub. Wonder who's the lucky one to find this bag of goodies?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10254050/

Meanwhile, some god is behaving nicely, for a change. Hercules is holding the pillars while Atlas goes for a drink.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10254016
Profile Image
What a fun package for some lucky pub-crawler to find!
Profile Image
How's that for weighty subjects?

The politics are between two rival cities in Canada, Calgary and Winnipeg. Calgary is feeling a little bit smug because they just beat Winnipeg's Canadian Football League team. They think they are the centre of the universe but we in Winnipeg know our famous corner of Portage and Main is not just the centre of Winnipeg but of the Universe. We'll let the finder of Calgary's Grand Story decide:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6601609/

We also landed on the last of the light blue squares and decided to release Death Comes for the Archbishop in front of a Catholic Church:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10258686/
The light blue colour of the sky counterpoints the weighty subjects of death and religion nicely, we thought.
Profile Image
... on the bench

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10258205

Next to this our pink release wants to draw attention for Pink Ribbon (breast Cancer)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10258202/
Profile Image
I took "Mr Blue" along to my first ever bookcrossing meet up. This biography did not attract the attention I had hoped for so on my way home I left it in a bookbox in Cafe Nero.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10241278
Profile Image
Collected the light blues, so we took a light blue book on an adventure...

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8620353
Profile Image
What fun!! Love it!!!
Profile Image
Bookguide and Bally got dressed up in their gala finery to visit the local theatre, the Mozaiek. As this means mosaic (how would you have guessed?), Bally is made out of mosaic, and although Halloween was last week, it’s still a pretty spooky season, so Bally took a scary Hitchcock book (Grim Company – I hope the theatre people aren’t insulted!) with him: Mo-zai-eeeeeek! http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10260795

I'll try to add a photo when I can upload it from my phone.
Profile Image
http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/unlucky-for-some.html

Bonus Points...
Team Racecar, simply because all three releases made me chuckle
Team Iron win a local poetry competition
Team Top hat are awarded a certificate of technical accomplishment
Team Train because GoG loves scaring members of the clergy too

No releases from either of our canine teams this week? If you've tried to email me it hasn't gotten through so please yell!
Profile Image
If you've tried to email me it hasn't gotten through so please yell!

argggggggggahahaha-ahaha-aaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

I'll talk to the other wolves and see what happened. We defo released a book.
Profile Image
If you've tried to email me it hasn't gotten through so please yell!

argggggggggahahaha-ahaha-aaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa

I'll talk to the other wolves and see what happened. We defo released a book.

It's aklways a good idea to post the book here when you email it - that ways everyone can admire your work as well as being on the safe side in case emails go astray (as they do seem to. the mail server is rubbish)
Profile Image
It's aklways a good idea to post the book here when you email it

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10247888/
(Traduction of the title: The manuscript of seduction)

The place is a cafe/bar named "Rainbow" and it's a point where man meets woman, woman meets man, man meets man and women meets women. Interesting enough, they put the following sign inside:
http://file1.npage.de/---/irrenanstalt.jpg

lunatic asylum
Enter at your own risk
You can count on harassment...
Profile Image

This was the scottie-dog release: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9916378/
Will try to remember to posthere as well as sending you an e-mail next time
Profile Image
I left the game after the "cheating" (multiple releases by Team Wolf) was unveiled and the game stopped being fun for me. wal-89 from Team Scottie Dog also stopped playing at this point too. Don't want to drag it all up again as I know your thoughts Vekiki and I think you've done a great job as host but just to let you know that abigailann is having to do it all alone as a result, so you might want to share out some of your bonus points for her....
Profile Image
I left the game ....

that's a shame to hear - sorry you felt that it spoiled the game for the two of you. We'll all be sure to cheer abigailann along that little bit harder :)
Profile Image
I left the game after the "cheating" (multiple releases by Team Wolf) was unveiled

Team wolf are not cheating, with or without the ""'s

We are playing within the rules of the game. We are not doing multiple releases with every round. We are submitting one book per round.
Don't want to drag it all up again

Then why have you?
Profile Image

Then why have you?

Kiwi, if she wants to stop playing then it's a shame, but that's her choice. And she obviously just wanted to let us know that. It's fine.

In the meanwhile I feel sorry for abigailann left playing on her own! It's a little late in the game to go looking for new players to join you. If you prefer, you can join up with another team and play with them for the last couple of rounds. Alternativley someone might volunteer to leave their team and come join you (making two teams of two)? Or maybe i'm making a fuss over nothing and you're glad that now you can do everything your own way? :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.