corner corner Monopoly turn ELEVEN

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Monopoly turn ELEVEN

Submit the details of your teams completed challenge - including a link to the book's page (and pictures if you want) - to Vekiki's email bcmonopoly at mail dot com (Don't PM please).
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 9th October
Next turn will be announced on Monday 10th October
Refresh on how to play here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/how-to-play.html
view the gameboard here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/turn-eleven.html

Battleship - dice roll 5
playground

Boot - dice roll 8
planes & trains

Iron - dice roll 7
statues & monuments

Cannon - dice roll 10
city centre
+ passing go
+ collect the light blues

Moneybags - dice roll 7
square
+ collect the yellows

Racecar - dice roll 3
statues & monuments
+ collect the greens

Scottie dogs - dice roll 7
playground
+ passing go

Thimbles - dice roll 2
museums & galleries
+ collect the yellows

Tophat - dice roll 7
church
+ passing go
+ collect the browns

Train - dice roll 7
market
+ passing go

Wheelbarrows - dice roll 11
community bookshelf

Wolf - dice roll 6
park

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Submit the details of your teams completed challenge - including a link to the book's page (and pictures if you want) - to Vekiki's email bcmonopoly at mail dot com (Don't PM please).
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 9th October
Next turn will be announced on Monday 10th October
Refresh on how to play here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/how-to-play.html
view the gameboard here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/turn-eleven.html

Battleship - dice roll 5
playground

Boot - dice roll 8
planes & trains

Iron - dice roll 7
statues & monuments

Cannon - dice roll 10
city centre
+ passing go
+ collect the light blues

Moneybags - dice roll 7
square
+ collect the yellows

Racecar - dice roll 3
statues & monuments
+ collect the greens

Scottie dogs - dice roll 7
playground
+ passing go

Thimbles - dice roll 2
museums & galleries
+ collect the yellows

Tophat - dice roll 7
church
+ passing go
+ collect the browns

Train - dice roll 7
market
+ passing go

Wheelbarrows - dice roll 11
community bookshelf

Wolf - dice roll 6
park
Profile Image
Having landed on Statues and Monuments, Team Iron took the opportunity to do something nice for a statue who needed help. We knew of a statue that is missing his head. So.. we made him a new one.

http://instagr.am/---/O4FUW/

That would be the iconic face that graces most covers of The Great Gatsby, transformed into the statue's replacement head. If it seems a little Frankensteinsmonsteresque... well, it is Halloween month, after all, and a crazy face is better than none, RIGHT??

And we know for certain that this was a good deed, because karma rewarded us. And the reward was..... my FIRST WILD CATCH SINCE 2005!!!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10170327/

Yep, my only two prior wild catches had occurred wayyyyy back when I first joined, and though I have been steadily releasing since I returned at the beginning of 2009, none had ever been caught. UNTIL NOW! :D And on top of that, the finder has joined Bookcrossing!
Profile Image
my FIRST WILD CATCH SINCE 2005!!!

Bloody brilliant!
Profile Image
my FIRST WILD CATCH SINCE 2005!!!

Hurrah! well done to you.
Profile Image
Nice catch flewry. Read about the tick tock challenge, and checked it out on the relevant thread, where I noticed you made another release for this MP turn. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10126004/
Surely two releases for the same turn by the same person are not allowed? And they can be, IMO, if the announcement as to which release counts is made before any of them is caught. But here it doesn't seem that happened...just wanted to know if that's fair.
Profile Image
Hmmm we've been making multiple releases almost every turn, and then waiting to see if any are caught before we decide what to submit. This hasn't actually gotten us any extra points till now, since our only other catch happened after we'd already sent it in.

Very sorry if this was against the rules, of course we won't claim our "catch" points if it was!
Profile Image

Surely two releases for the same turn by the same person are not allowed? And they can be, IMO, if the announcement as to which release counts is made before any of them is caught. But here it doesn't seem that happened...just wanted to know if that's fair.

Well, there was a bit of discussion about this before the game started, when Wyando asked if that was ok. I think it is - it's just one tactic for how to play. Obviosuly it is working well for Team Wolf!
like marsala points out too, it means that if you don't have time to check a release idea with your team before you make it - or if you all have idea that you wnat to try out for the fun of it, you can still do it and then decide later if it is the best idea to submit.

Personally, I find the fun in setting up one really great release and hoping it attracts a catch AND a bonus point (!), but it is up to each team how they want to play.
Profile Image

like marsala points out too, it means that if you don't have time to check a release idea with your team before you make it - or if you all have idea that you wnat to try out for the fun of it, you can still do it and then decide later if it is the best idea to submit.

I completely agree about the multiple releases, Vekiki. In fact we might be doing two releases ourself this turn - we don't know if it'll be possible to execute our main idea in time, and so I'm doing a backup release. If we do manage both, we'll see which to submit. And of course doing many releases for the fun of it etc is cool.
But what Marsala is saying is different from what Flewry had to say:

Hmmm we've been making multiple releases almost every turn, and then waiting to see if any are caught before we decide what to submit.

Here, deciding which one is the "best idea to submit", on the basis of waiting to see which release gets a catch sounds quite unfair. It's like having multiple entries in a lucky dip, when you're allowed only one, just to raise your chances of getting picked.

On the other hand, submitting an official release after making multiple releases, actually on the basis of which is best/most impressive (like Marsala said) and not on the basis of which gets caught and is therefore a sureshot extra point, sounds like the way to go no? So you wrote out many entries for the lucky dip, but put in the neatest one. That's just fine. You didn't throw them all in so that it raised your odds of winning!

ETA: No offence meant to flewry. I'm sure you thought this an ok way to play. And you also offered not to have your 'catch' point count if it's against the rules. But this method itself I think is unfair, and I wanted to voice that.
Profile Image
I don't understand why choosing a release that got a catch would be considered unfair, as long as it's done before the turn's end. We did check with Vekiki about this in the beginning, as I recall.
And I don't want all this discussion to take away from Flewry's great release--I know I'm biased (grin) but I thought putting a head on a statue was pretty witty!
Profile Image
Whew, certainly didn't intend to cause any controversy! I have to admit that I can't see the problem here. If we're all allowed to release as many books as we want, how is this an unfair advantage at all? It's not as though the wild stats of anyone on my team are so stellar that there was any reasonable expectation that our books would have a higher catch rate than any other team's - they haven't! We just realized kind of early on that we didn't seem to be as good as some of the other teams at coming up with awesome creative releases, so this is how we've been trying to stay competitive.

Anyway, I'm just having fun playing and am certainly not trying to fight with anyone. I already offered to forfeit our catch points so I'm not sure what else to say. I did put thought into this release and had fun doing it; this was our "primary" release this turn and what we would have submitted if nothing had been caught anyway. Sorry this kind of blew up the thread. :/
Profile Image
Yes, I'm hardly competitive myself, playing the game for the fun of it is the reason I'm in. And I didn't mean to single flewry out, but I don't follow the different releases every turn and happened to check them out this time, else I'm sure another team would have been on the receiving end of my comment. ;P
Anyway, I stick to my point, about it not being fair waiting for a catch to submit a release. And I think the point is quite self-evident.Some teams may be doing it unconsciously, and others consciously. Anyhow, point made, let's proceed with the game.
And yes Flewry, I second lils74 on that being a witty release!
Profile Image

But what Marsala is saying is different from what Flewry had to say:

Hmmm we've been making multiple releases almost every turn, and then waiting to see if any are caught before we decide what to submit.

Here, deciding which one is the "best idea to submit", on the basis of waiting to see which release gets a catch sounds quite unfair. It's like having multiple entries in a lucky dip, when you're allowed only one, just to raise your chances of getting picked.
/blockquote>

Yup, i know that's what she meant. Both Marsala's and Flewery's methods are ok. There was a chat about it before we started to play, and I agreed that if that was how peopel wanted to play it's ok. I didn't realise so many teams were doing it this way (I thought it was just team wolf) but, hey, as long as people are having fun that's ok by me. In essence, I don't care how peopel play so long as they have fun, and don't stop other teams having fun too.

If i'm entirely honest, I do think it's a little bit sneaky, but since I can't possibly police it (at least without putting in complecated rules about submitting within such a time of teh release being made, or whatever) I leave that up to individual teams to decide. Hell, I've played sneaky with pushing the rules in enough board games so I know that's just how they work sometimes!
For me, the fun of a game like this is coming up with funky ideas - and the best releases in the game have been thsoe where lots of planning has obviously gone into one release (eg the sushi one! Brilliant!).

Profile Image

And yet you have to decide which book at the end of each turn will go for the game. (Remember, all chosen books can bring points if the get JE, Newbies, etc until the game ends.)

Even if there is catch within the time frame of the turn, there always can be better catches from any book been released in the same turn, but then, obviously, not counting for the game any more.

And trust me, there have been releases, which would have been a better choice for team Wolf, as not always the first catch will be the best during the complete game... ;)
Profile Image
Ok.
Right.
Sigh.

First rule: the gamehostess is always right
Second rule if the gamehostess is wrong the first rule applies

damn straight ;)

This game is intended to be fun, to encourage wild releasing and creative themed releases. If you are enjoying it, and not stopping the enjoyment of others, then, as I see it, that's good enough for me

I don't *really* like the idea of people making multiple releases to see what gets caught, I agree with Prachi and others that it is a little unfair. I tried to discourage it when the idea was first suggested before we began to play, but as I said then - I cannot police that, so it is up to each team how to play - 'sneaky' or not. I may not like it, but it doesn't break any rules. I also don't like people who talk loudly on mobile phones on the train, but there's nothing I can do about that either.
I decided not to try to prevent it, or to invent elaborate rules to stop it, before we started play, and it would be vastly unjust of me now to go back on that by changing the game so far in (especially given that people were honest enough to point out the loophole and ask if they could use it. It would have been fairly easy to cover up the tracks of this tactic and just claim incredible good luck, so I appreciated that no one was trying to be dishonest). I am, I must confess, a little disappointed that so many people are using the loophole - but I am still enjoying watching (and stealing for my own releases) the awesome ideas people come up with, so I am not overly worried about it.

I suggest that, if you have been enjoying the game to date, then you don;t need to worry about it either :) There have been some brilliant ideas generated, and I can tell by the bits of communication I get from you guys that there have been some BC friendships formed. What more could I ask for, eh?
If, on the other hand, you have not been enjoying the game, *then* we have a problem...
Profile Image
Allthough, we then decide our official release not on which one has a catch (which is usually none of them), but which one we just think is the best, most fun, most impressive.

We decided to do it this way, because sometimes you plan a release and it doesn't work out so well as you hoped and it's good to have several options.
Profile Image
Yes, I have seen that most teams do this. Of course, only one is submitted, and once it is, a catch on another would not count. At least that's the way I thought it went...
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10189712

for the record.... altho this book was released Sunday past (6 days ago) and is just now being submitted, it was NOT one of multiple releases. It's just that was the *only* time I could possibly release, and Tech week has been so insane that i could only get a bit at a time written up/uploaded. Which probably also means I blathered on even more than usual.

I am surprised to see that "most'' (really???) teams are doing multiple releases. We seem to be lucky to manage our one-at-a-time (well, except when we're required to do more). Usually, team boot throws ideas into the pot and stirs. We've been trying for the creative/unique/or somewhat askew take on the move.

We'd sure love more catches, tho~
Profile Image

I am surprised to see that "most'' (really???) teams are doing multiple releases. We seem to be lucky to manage our one-at-a-time (well, except when we're required to do more). Usually, team boot throws ideas into the pot and stirs. We've been trying for the creative/unique/or somewhat askew take on the move.

We'd sure love more catches, tho~

Same here!! And we're yet to get a single catch...lady luck hasn't been on our side regarding this, and to be fair to her she didn't have as many chances, what with our single release each turn. :P Which is why we have to try even harder with the creativity!

Profile Image
Tech week has been so insane that i could only get a bit at a time written

i can empathise with that! we re-tech for the new cast in november, i'm already dreading it

Profile Image

i can empathise with that! we re-tech for the new cast in november, i'm already dreading it

having seen clips from "Warhorse," and a fabulous TED hour on the making of the horses, I can only imagine what re-teching for this will be !

Profile Image

having seen clips from "Warhorse," and a fabulous TED hour on the making of the horses, I can only imagine what re-teching for this will be !

I, on the other hand, am trying very hard not to imagine it... living it once (well, it's the 5th time i've teched it, so more like 5 times!) will be bad enough ;)
Profile Image
was able to put multiple pics in one journal. HOW do you do that????
Profile Image
was able to put multiple pics in one journal. HOW do you do that????

You cannot. You can make multiple journals, each with one pic. Or if you have a blog, you can put multiple pics in that blog entry and post the link here.
Profile Image
Or, if you know how to use photoshop or a similar photo editing software, you can arrange multiple photos on one page, save it as a single file and then upload it. We did that for a few releases, e.g. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4295420/
Profile Image
Or, if you know how to use photoshop or a similar photo editing software, you can arrange multiple photos on one page, save it as a single file and then upload it. We did that for a few releases, e.g. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4295420/

I see I'll have to start exploring this~~thanks, pratch!
Profile Image
The statues and monuments: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10022239

Woah. I wasn't aware, that Nick Cave was also writing books. Know him from music side, love his "murder ballads". Haven't follow him up since longer, though. Anyway, good to be a bookcrosser, good to be in this game :)

Profile Image
I wasn't aware, that Nick Cave was also writing books.

I read The Death of Bunny Munro when it first came out. At one point I was reading it on a train, and about five people around me started having a conversation about this book and Nick Cave. The level of interest in the book has never happened to me before. Imagine strangers on a UK train talking to each other!
Profile Image

RE: Nick Cave

Imagine strangers on a UK train talking to each other!

good lord no! never!
Profile Image
so I've edited the team boot note to add it.....sheesh.....
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10031946/ - Released in Eldon Square for our square release.

I hadn't realised Prince Charles was visiting Newcastle when I released this book just yards from where he was to salute those passing by during the Veterans March.

The book had gone before he arrived - I just hope there hadn't been a scare whilst I was doing my shopping !!
Profile Image

Team Canon

Well, we released our three books with a little story about blue Bally. (Still working on sharing that with you guys).
We released

“Blue in the face” (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10155796/)
“Spatzen in Gottes Hand – Sparrows in gods hand” (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10202939/)
“Furcht erregende Darbietungen - Fearsome/Formidable performances“ (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10202938)

Just wanted to say that I also thought it was "ilegal" to release multiple books and then wait for the one getting caught. Guess I should have asked :-)
That is why we always concentrated on one release and try to have a second idea handy if it does not work out.

If it is agreed that it's allowed then that's that of course no question about it.
First rule: the gamehostess is always right
Second rule if the gamehostess is wrong the first rule applies
:-)
On that note everyone should just have fun!

Profile Image

Team Canon

P.s. O.k. I'll put it on my blog tomorrow but will have to sleep now... Sleep...sleeeep....
Profile Image
Blog post:
http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/eleventy-first-birthdy-party.html

Bonus Points to...
Team Cannon for elaborate story telling (GoG does not seem to be able to post up PDF files for everyone else to read, maybe you can give us a link to your tale?)
Team Racecar because flattery will get you everywhere
Team Thimble (to help them get over the shock of naked Bally cavorting...)
And Team Iron, because that was bloody brilliant.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.