corner corner Bookcrossing Monopoly Turn ONE

Forum | << Release Challenges | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
"You have won second prize in a beauty contest. Of course, Bally came first - make a beautiful release in his honour."

This is our choice.
The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5033381/

'The king in yellow', being bally who won the beautycontest. I gave the book a yellow sash, like beautycontestwinners get when they parade on the stage. On that the first prize medals, saying: "Giving is a cool thing", "Many books, one world" and "Books just wanna be free".
It is released at beautycentre 'Be beautiful' in my city, Utrecht.

This is a really a team effort. I was on a small holliday in Luxembourg while the other teammates were discussing various options. This release covers everything we thought over: castles (king), bally/runner (the king in yellow), beautifull and at a beauticians or hairdresser.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Submit the details of your teams completed challenge - including a link to the book's page (and pictures if you want) - to Vekiki's email (Don't PM please): BCMonopoly at mail dot com
Submissions deadline: 21.00 GMT (that's 9 PM, London time) on Sunday 22nd May.

Next turn will be announced on 23rd May

Refresh on how to play: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/how-to-play.html

game board: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/turn-one.html

This turn's challenges:

Battleship
Dice roll: 9
Battle through the crowds to make a city centre release

Boot
Dice roll: 11
Bally's on a spending spree in a shopping centre... someone stop him, that's my credit card he's holding!

Cannon & Wolf
Dice roll: 8
Introduce a different form of narrative with a cinema or theatre release

Iron
Dice roll: 2
Make another player's wish come true...

MoneyBag
Dice roll: 7
Take a Chance Card...
You have won second prize in a beauty contest. Of course, Bally came first - make a beautiful release in his honour

Racecar & Wheelbarrow
Dice roll: 6
Stop squabbling you two, this isn't a playground you know!
Oh... well, maybe it is...

Scottie dog
Dice roll 7:
Take a Chance Card
can the doggie dance? Let's hope so coz this is a musical release challenge

Thimble & Train
Dice roll: 12
IT'S ALIVE!!! Let's hope your release is electric enough to create a spark of life in Bally

Top Hat
Dice roll: 10
Just visiting? Are Top Hat sneaky enough to steal a point while they are there...and, more importantly... who from?
Profile Image
it was juts past midnight in the Uk - officially Monday :) don't expect all the challenges to get posted so early, but I was excited for the first one!
Profile Image
Oh! You've started. How exciting.

Will there be a new thread for each roll, or one for the whole game?
Profile Image
A new thread each roll - to make it clearer what challenge is the current one
Profile Image

Very exciting. Putting thinking hat on now
Profile Image
Tried to send you our first turn release email - got an error:

The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <BCMonoploy@mail.com>... User is unknown {mx-us016} (state 14).

There is an spelling error (MonopLOy stead of MonopOLy) - just wanted to mention if someone else is trying to mail this soon ;-)
Profile Image
Oh, bugger, sorry. thanks for letting me know :)
Profile Image
And - Wozee what good luck team wolf are having already - a catch and a new member!
Profile Image
And - Wozee what good luck team wolf are having already - a catch and a new member!

Yeah! Here we go: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3796151/
Profile Image
Wozee what good luck team wolf are having already - a catch and a new member!

That's because we're GRRRRRRRRRRRRRreat.

(or is that the Frosties Tiger)
Profile Image

RE: Team Wolf

Wow, that's so neat! Good for you....but watch your back, we're going to catch up! :D
Profile Image

RE: Team Wolf

That's because we're GRRRRRRRRRRRRRreat.

(or is that the Frosties Tiger)

Does that mean the other teams can disarm you by adding milk? melt you like the wicked witch :)
Profile Image
Keep your eyes peeled for our Turn One release, which will be posted on here and sent to Vekiki's email!
Profile Image
Looking forward to seeing it - and love your profile pic :)
Profile Image
A mail has been sent to our hostess. Congrats on the catch, wolves!
Profile Image
Hi Vekiki

Journal entry below, hope you'll be impressed by it!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9813403

Team Scottie Dog
Profile Image
brilliant ladies :) I tried reading him too (same book) but couldn't be doing with it - i love him on radio 2, and i enjoy a lot of non-fic, but - well, his writing is just not engaging at all!
Profile Image
Team Scottie Dog

Nice themed release Scottie Dog's.
Profile Image
We chose to release the book "Marley and Me" (which was made into a movie) in front of this old theatre that has recently been closed down due to massive roof leaks and structual damage.

What makes this release so special, is that the citizens of Albion, MI entered a "Fix up your Community" contest sponsered by the Readers Digest. For a period of time, people could vote every day on line for their favorite town. Due to an intense campaign on Albion's part, it was running in 3rd place most of the time, slipping to fourth place at the end.

However, they still won a prize of $10,000 and decided to spend
$8,000 of it on fixing up the theatre. I for one, will be going back as soon as it is opened, to see how they did.

Link to book:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5319096

Link to Readers Digest article:
http://tinyurl.com/6ygm8mf
Profile Image
Hey guys...love the way this is starting!

Our theme was playgrounds, so I put my three year old in charge. We buried a copy of "Where the Wild Things Are" where the wild things really ARE....the best playground in Westerville, at the corner of Maxtown and Spring. It's one of his favorite books, one of his favorite playgrounds, AND sice his new favorite passtime is digging (someone saw mommy planting tomatoes....) we decided to dig the book a hole in the sandpit and bury it. Rumor has it that there are DINOSAUR bones (well, fake ones) if you go down far enough in that sand pit (it really is a great park). And this way we're hoping one of the Wild Things running around with shovels finds it and gets even more excited about reading (or digging....one of the two should work out).
We emailed Vekiki with pictures; I'm still not good enough to get them in the release notes. But here's the link for any OH book hunters: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9845813

Profile Image
When I worked at a day care I had the one/two year old class. We had to make displays based on books that were on a list, and I chose that one. The kids got stripped down and painted paper monster shapes and got to decorate with anything they wanted...the results were "wild"! I made a ship, the whole bit.
Profile Image
When I worked at a day care I had the one/two year old class. We had to make displays based on books that were on a list, and I chose that one. The kids got stripped down and painted paper monster shapes and got to decorate with anything they wanted...the results were "wild"! I made a ship, the whole bit.

Oh that sounds like fun! And just the sort of thing to really get the kids excited about books.
Profile Image
And this way we're hoping one of the Wild Things running around with shovels finds it and gets even more excited about reading (or digging....one of the two should work out).

What a cool idea :-D I imagine the face of the kid who will find this book when digging :) :) :)
Profile Image
Just a reminder that the turn ends this sunday evening... There's a few teams we've heard nothing from so I'm looking forward to see what you've come up with :)
Profile Image
Just a reminder that the turn ends this sunday evening... There's a few teams we've heard nothing from so I'm looking forward to see what you've come up with :)

I will be making the first release for Team Top Hat tonight!
Profile Image
This value is required.
Profile Image
Monopoly newbie question. I want to be a good Monopoly playing citizen....what state does my wish list need to be in to be considered up to date?
Profile Image
what state does my wish list need to be in to be considered up to date?

Not contain books on it that you don't wish to read anymore or that you don't want to receive.
Profile Image
I don't have a wishlist, don't want one, have never had one. Do I need to make one to play Monopoly?

Ooooops, I forgot. Somehow the site put 3 books on a wishlist for me. (I wrote in to the Beta forum to complain about it as a bug.) Don't know where they came from. Don't really want them. But I guess it would count as a wishlist to allow me to keep playing? (And, of course, if someone sent me one, I'd be happy to BookCross it--I never refuse a book.)

: )
Profile Image
No! you don't need a wishlist.
if you do have one, it's a good idea to keep it updated while we play (but then, it's a good idea to keep it updated always anyway, surely?), because teams who land on community bookshelf squares have to send a wishlist book to a player from a different team (this is the only time that a controlled release counts).

but if you don't have a wishlist that's fine - you just won't get any wishlist books :)
Profile Image
Okay, then I'll delete the 3 books that mysteriously showed up on my wishlist even though I wasn't wishing. Thanks.
Profile Image
Each member of the train team made a release and then we decided which one to put forward. Since it was my release of The Red Power Murders by Thomas King that the other two members decided should go forward I was told I had no choice in the matter.
Here's the link:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8487639/

I had to explain to my team members why we have electrical plugs in our parking lot and I thought others might have the same question. Here is what I told Poofy and keeta1:
In wintertime the temperatures here sometimes reach -40 degrees C. At that temp a car that sits all day while a person is at work frequently will not start. So all cars here are equipped with block heaters. Extension cords connect the plug with the block heater and the block heater uses the electricity to keep the engine slightly warm so that the oil isn’t congealed. There is a story, perhaps an urban legend, that some visitors from the US were visiting Winnipeg in the summer. They were travelling in an RV and went to see our Legislative Building. Later they wrote a thank you letter to the government praising them for being so thoughtful as to provide electrical outlets for travellers so they could make toast and boil a kettle. Perhaps that is why our motto on our license plate is “Friendly Manitoba”.
Profile Image
Each member of the train team made a release and then we decided which one to put forward. Since it was my release of The Red Power Murders by Thomas King that the other two members decided should go forward I was told I had no choice in the matter.
Here's the link:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8487639/

I discovered King through my Canadian husband, and have always called myself a Thomas King evangelist. I have given away so many copies of his books to friends I'm sure I paid a significant portion of his mortgage ;). I am now horribly ashamed to have appropriated the title because I DID NOT KNOW there was a mystery. I am seriously wishing I could get a ticket to Manitoba and hunt this one down.

Love the triple meaning for the release, very creative. My husband asked if there was a "triple word score" in our game like there is in Scrabble.
Profile Image
I discovered King through my Canadian husband, and have always called myself a Thomas King evangelist. I have given away so many copies of his books to friends I'm sure I paid a significant portion of his mortgage ;). I am now horribly ashamed to have appropriated the title because I DID NOT KNOW there was a mystery. I am seriously wishing I could get a ticket to Manitoba and hunt this one down.

Love the triple meaning for the release, very creative. My husband asked if there was a "triple word score" in our game like there is in Scrabble.

Thanks Beecie. The first King I ever read was Green Grass, Running Water and I loved it. I was tickled to find this book last year at a library sale but then I didn't have time to read it before I released it. I'll have to get my hands on another copy.
Profile Image
Nice triple significance too - well thought out!
Profile Image
Nice triple significance too - well thought out!

Thanks Vekiki.
Profile Image
Nice one!!

Thank you
Profile Image
Flewry said she wrote you about our release.
Profile Image
Yup, I let her know that I got it a couple of days ago :)
Profile Image
I released the book The City & The City by China Miéville.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9844970

Explanation of the release:

1. We interpreted our instructions to mean that we should be sneaky and make a release that fits another group's theme, thereby "stealing" a point from them.

2. It is *extra* sneaky because it fits themes from TWO other teams, not only one.
* Team Scottie Dog / Musical: The book was released at a symphony concert.
* Team Battleship / City centre: The concert was at City Hall, in the centre of Cape Town.

3. And an extra: I like the link between the title of the book and the release location (The City & The City / City Hall in city centre).
Profile Image
2. It is *extra* sneaky because it fits themes from TWO other teams, not only one.
* Team Battleship / City centre: The concert was at City Hall, in the centre of Cape Town.

hmmm, are you trying to steal two points then? Vekiki, is there a limit to how many points can be stolen?
Profile Image

hmmm, are you trying to steal two points then? Vekiki, is there a limit to how many points can be stolen?

Well, one musst say that this was well thought!
Profile Image
No, they steal 1 point in total - 0.5 from each team :)
I hadn't considered that people might find a double theme to use two teams, and clever as it is it doesn't earn extra points (well, your still in the running for bonus points, but not extra normal points!). i doubt they were trying to get more points - just wanting to make a clever multi-theme release :)
To be honest I thought people would make these releases based on the other teams' name, rather than on there challenge, but either way is fine - i like iot when people play with the interpretation and surprise me :)
(just remember than you may well land on that same challenge yourself square as you journey the board too.)
Profile Image
i doubt they were trying to get more points - just wanting to make a clever multi-theme release :)

Yes, this is it. I was just trying to be clever, not to net more points than normal for the team :)
Profile Image
Hi - RE: Top Hats release: BOO!

Vekiki - have you seen my email about our release - I keep getting bounce back emails from the address that I'm sending to which is BCMonopoly at mail dot com. I've tried three times now!
Profile Image
you got my reply now, right?
Profile Image
I got a message saying my emails to you were delayed but I didn't have to send it again. Did you get it?
Profile Image
yep , i got it

I have replied to all the emails I've recieved.
I'm a little worried that a couple of people haven't seen my replies to them (or maybe just havent told team mates) ... can those of you who have emailed me please check to see if you got a reply and let me know if not - so I can tell if there actually is a problem soemwhere, or if it's just that things are beiong sent to spam folders or somesuch
Thanks
Profile Image
Your email came through sometime during the morning because it was there when I checked at lunch. Thanks.
Profile Image
that we dashed off shopping and filled a whole bag full of books which~~oops~~was left in the center of the shopping center~~

only one counts, of course, and that's

GET OUT OF MY LIFE but first could you drive me and Cheryl to the Mall ?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9859214/
Profile Image
that we dashed off shopping and filled a whole bag full of books which~~oops~~was left in the center of the shopping center~~

only one counts, of course, and that's

GET OUT OF MY LIFE but first could you drive me and Cheryl to the Mall ?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9859214/

How funny! I just got back from doing garage sales and actully saw this book at one of them, and almost picked it up!
Profile Image
LOL TO2! And normally, I'd never even have noticed it ~
Profile Image

Emails

I have replied to all the emails I've recieved.
I'm a little worried that a couple of people haven't seen my replies to them (or maybe just havent told team mates) ... can those of you who have emailed me please check to see if you got a reply and let me know if not - so I can tell if there actually is a problem soemwhere, or if it's just that things are beiong sent to spam folders or somesuch
Thanks

(the email from me will be from address: bcmonopoly at mail dot com)
Profile Image
I got one from you that said you had received it.
Profile Image

RE: Emails

I heard back...and forwarded your replay all around team Racecar. We're good :). Looking forward to monday's new assignment.
Profile Image
"You have won second prize in a beauty contest. Of course, Bally came first - make a beautiful release in his honour."

This is our choice.
The King in Yellow by Robert W. Chambers
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5033381/

'The king in yellow', being bally who won the beautycontest. I gave the book a yellow sash, like beautycontestwinners get when they parade on the stage. On that the first prize medals, saying: "Giving is a cool thing", "Many books, one world" and "Books just wanna be free".
It is released at beautycentre 'Be beautiful' in my city, Utrecht.

This is a really a team effort. I was on a small holliday in Luxembourg while the other teammates were discussing various options. This release covers everything we thought over: castles (king), bally/runner (the king in yellow), beautifull and at a beauticians or hairdresser.
Profile Image
I love the sash!
Profile Image
ha ha... brilliant!
Profile Image
I received a wishlist book through the post this afternoon :) It was The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde from Flewry, so thanks to the Iron team.
Profile Image
So... only 4 1/2 hours til close of play for turn one... the only team I haven't heard from is the battleships. just mentioning in case you've emailled me and I somehow didn't get it? x
Profile Image
Our team Captain e-mailed you the Battle Ship release and it has now been caught too.

Did you not receive the e-mail?
Profile Image
I got the email of the book release :) it hadn't been caught when I wrote up the points, but that will be included next time I get a chance
Profile Image
Bonus Points go to...
Thimbles for their hand crafted lightbulb shaped post its
Trains for their 'triple word score'
Racecar, because burying the book was an awesome idea
Moneybag, for their dressed up book

Congratulations!
photos and stuff here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/and-theyre-off.html
Profile Image
Bonus Points go to...
Trains for their 'triple word score'

Congratulations!
photos and stuff here: http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/---/and-theyre-off.html

Thanks vekiki for the bonus point. Cold weather is obviously good for something! The blog looks great. You've really captured the essence of Round One.
Profile Image
Yay a bonusbally! Your blog looks great!
Profile Image
Turn one on the blog looks great! And I almost fear to ask--lest it is a mistaken and gets removed, but I want to repeat it, so I will ask. Why does my team (IRON) have 2 points? Is it because we sent out a book that got journalled? :)
Profile Image
yup. book sent = point, book caught = point (plus point for the team who caught it). makes landing on bookshelf square a good thing!
Profile Image
I love being part of the creativeness :)

And the blog looks great, one must say!
Profile Image
I love being part of the creativeness :)

And the blog looks great, one must say!

Nothing to add - simply amazing!
Profile Image
Can't wait for turn 2.
Profile Image
So that should make up for half of our point being pinched by the Top Hats :)

If I'm right we now have 1.5 points :)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9867265/
Profile Image
great news guys!
can you email it to me so I remember to include it next time I update the team pages, please?
(if you haven't already - i haven't checked my emails yet)
Profile Image
Have emailed it to you now :)
Profile Image
Pleasant surprise. :)
And the blog looks great with all the photos and stuff...good job!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.