corner corner Bookcrossing Monopoly 2011 - sign ups now closed

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Bookcrossing Monopoly 2011 - sign ups now closed

I absolutely loved playing the game of Bookcrossing Monopoly that Iiwi hosted on the Dutch Forum a couple of years ago... so I'm stealing the idea (with his permission) and hosting my own version. I'm made some changes to the game, I'm designing a new board and I'm looking for people to play!
so... let's collect £200 and GO....

The game board will be here:
http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/
if your interested in joining, you should check it out...

How the game works:
Bookcrossing Monopoly is a wild releasing game, with challenges each turn (a turn is two weeks) and points to earn... the player or team with the most points at the end wins
Each turn, the gamehost (hem... me) will role the virtual dice and move the pieces...

You have the length of the turn (two weeks) to complete the challenge you have landed on (see more below), and post on the forum with a link to your released book (you can release more than one book if you want, but you have to nominate only one to count towards the game)
The game will last 15 turns (30 weeks) - if you choose not to play for a turn or two, that's fine, but you won't earn any points that go - and the winner is the person or team with the most points after the last turn

The Different Kinds of Square to land on:
- Location Squares: like in normal monopoly, most of the squares are locations - things like 'in a tree' or 'at the cinema' as well as 'at the rainbows end'. Simply wild release a book at that location and claim your point! You can be as imaginative as you like in how you define a 'tree' or 'rainbows end' - the more original your idea, the better
- Community Bookshelf: If you land on a bookshelf square, you need to pick any other monopoly player (not in your team!) and send them a wishlist book. This is the only time that controlled releases count in this game
- Local Meet up / BC Convention: O-Oh! You get tempted by the book buffet and take more books than you leave... lose a point :(
- Planes and trains: make a release on public transport - trains or planes, buses or bikes... Bally's on the move!
- Chance: take a chance card.... no way to guess what that may be...
- In Bed With Flu: No releasing for you... sit out this turn while you recover
- Free Release: Go Wild!
- Superspeed Release: Quickly Quickly! You only have half a turn - one week - to make a quickie release!
- Go! This is where we all start, and as you travel the board during the game, you get to make an extra release when you pass go...

And... if you complete all the challenges of a particular colour (so... liek in normal monopoly you can 'collect' all the brown properties), you get to make an extra release themed to that colour

Scoring points:
One point each for any of the following:
* each challenge book released
* book caught
* AF sign up to BC
* Book re-released
* successful hunting of another teams BC book
* and... Bonus points
Bonus points are given out by the gamehost for special releases - but she's very hard to impress.... Try to theme the book to your location, or making your bookdrop in fancy dress, or anything to catch her eye and make your team stand out

The Teams:
Hopefully enough people will want to play that we can form teams of 2 or 3 players - how you delegate who does each challenge in your team is up to you
Last sign up is Thursday the 12th May
Teams will be announced on Friday 13th May (oh er...)

Join In:
To join the game, sign up by posting in the forum, AND send me a PM letting me know you want to play! Mention if there is another player who you'd like to be on a team with (or if there's someone you definitely don't want to team up with)

Game starts Monday 16th May, and new turns will be announced every other Monday. Turns will be announced here in the Release Challenges Forum, as well as on the BCMP blog (link above)

Email photos of your releases (if you want to) to me and I'll include them on the turn's blog page

Any Questions (I bet there are...) feel free to ask...

(oh... erm.. it's just for fun, and to claim the title as BCMP Champions - no actual prizes!)

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
I absolutely loved playing the game of Bookcrossing Monopoly that Iiwi hosted on the Dutch Forum a couple of years ago... so I'm stealing the idea (with his permission) and hosting my own version. I'm made some changes to the game, I'm designing a new board and I'm looking for people to play!
so... let's collect £200 and GO....

The game board will be here:
http://bcmonopoly.blogspot.com/
if your interested in joining, you should check it out...

How the game works:
Bookcrossing Monopoly is a wild releasing game, with challenges each turn (a turn is two weeks) and points to earn... the player or team with the most points at the end wins
Each turn, the gamehost (hem... me) will role the virtual dice and move the pieces...

You have the length of the turn (two weeks) to complete the challenge you have landed on (see more below), and post on the forum with a link to your released book (you can release more than one book if you want, but you have to nominate only one to count towards the game)
The game will last 15 turns (30 weeks) - if you choose not to play for a turn or two, that's fine, but you won't earn any points that go - and the winner is the person or team with the most points after the last turn

The Different Kinds of Square to land on:
- Location Squares: like in normal monopoly, most of the squares are locations - things like 'in a tree' or 'at the cinema' as well as 'at the rainbows end'. Simply wild release a book at that location and claim your point! You can be as imaginative as you like in how you define a 'tree' or 'rainbows end' - the more original your idea, the better
- Community Bookshelf: If you land on a bookshelf square, you need to pick any other monopoly player (not in your team!) and send them a wishlist book. This is the only time that controlled releases count in this game
- Local Meet up / BC Convention: O-Oh! You get tempted by the book buffet and take more books than you leave... lose a point :(
- Planes and trains: make a release on public transport - trains or planes, buses or bikes... Bally's on the move!
- Chance: take a chance card.... no way to guess what that may be...
- In Bed With Flu: No releasing for you... sit out this turn while you recover
- Free Release: Go Wild!
- Superspeed Release: Quickly Quickly! You only have half a turn - one week - to make a quickie release!
- Go! This is where we all start, and as you travel the board during the game, you get to make an extra release when you pass go...

And... if you complete all the challenges of a particular colour (so... liek in normal monopoly you can 'collect' all the brown properties), you get to make an extra release themed to that colour

Scoring points:
One point each for any of the following:
* each challenge book released
* book caught
* AF sign up to BC
* Book re-released
* successful hunting of another teams BC book
* and... Bonus points
Bonus points are given out by the gamehost for special releases - but she's very hard to impress.... Try to theme the book to your location, or making your bookdrop in fancy dress, or anything to catch her eye and make your team stand out

The Teams:
Hopefully enough people will want to play that we can form teams of 2 or 3 players - how you delegate who does each challenge in your team is up to you
Last sign up is Thursday the 12th May
Teams will be announced on Friday 13th May (oh er...)

Join In:
To join the game, sign up by posting in the forum, AND send me a PM letting me know you want to play! Mention if there is another player who you'd like to be on a team with (or if there's someone you definitely don't want to team up with)

Game starts Monday 16th May, and new turns will be announced every other Monday. Turns will be announced here in the Release Challenges Forum, as well as on the BCMP blog (link above)

Email photos of your releases (if you want to) to me and I'll include them on the turn's blog page

Any Questions (I bet there are...) feel free to ask...

(oh... erm.. it's just for fun, and to claim the title as BCMP Champions - no actual prizes!)
Profile Image

I'll play

:-) pm'ing you.
Profile Image
PM coming...
Profile Image
PMing you now.

Can you dual release with another challenge too? Just asking as I am doing 2011 International Year of the Forest and it could link in depending on the roll of the di :)
Profile Image

dual releases

Sure, it's fine to incorperate other challenges, or releases you were already planning or what not :)
Profile Image
This value is required.
Profile Image
I am in! Will try and convince my sister to join too!
Profile Image
So it's time to play. PM't you about my team :)
Profile Image

:)

I'm so pleased that people are signing up and interested in the game!
Profile Image
I never joined the ones on the Dutch forum (have no idea why) but a few weeks ago I suddenly had the urge to join. I've been waiting ever since for it to start again. Thank you Vekiki!
Profile Image

Ooooh yes!

Please count me in as well. No requests about teammates, but I would like to be in Team Top Hat if that's OK, since that's always the piece I take when playing Monopoly.

Thanks for organising this, Vekiki! Will PM you as well.
Profile Image
Please count me in as well. No requests about teammates, but I would like to be in Team Top Hat if that's OK, since that's always the piece I take when playing Monopoly.

Thanks for organising this, Vekiki! Will PM you as well.

I like this :-) sort of superstition :-)

I think Vekiki should 'grant' your wish :-)
Profile Image
I will, no worries (well... if I can... if everyone suddenly requesys the top hat team, I can't put everyone there!)
I always play the old boot - everyone in my family has a 'lucky' token :)
Profile Image
This value is required.
Profile Image
ahhh- I hope you don't mind the changes I have made!
Profile Image
ahhh- I hope you don't mind the changes I have made!

I don't mind. US, South Africa, Spain... I see some serious flying in my future to hunt for other teams books. :) Finaly those airmiles come in handy!

"So, what's your business in our country?"
"Well, eurm, hunting a book."
"So you say you want to enter our country to hunt for a book?"
"Yes."
"So, you want to enter our country to go to bookshops?"
"No, to hunt for a book."
"But where do you want to hunt for a book then?"
"It's hanging in a tree outside the park."
"Say again?"
"It's hanging in a tree outside..."
"Yes, you said that."
"Yes, I know."
"So you want to enter our country to hunt for a book that is hanging in a tree outside the park?"
"Yes."
"Eurm, do you mind if I ask why?"
"I get bonuspoints for it."
"Sigh. So you want to enter our country to hunt for a book that is hanging in a tree outside the park to get bonuspoints for it? "
"Yes. It's on the internet."
"Right, the book is on the internet!"
"No. The book is in a tree outside the park. I told you this."
"... So, you get bonuspoints."
"Yes, from Vekiki."
"Vekiki..."
"Yes, she's our ringleader."
"Ringleader..."
"Yep, she's the big cheese."
"So you want to enter our country because you want to hunt for a book that is in a tree outside the park to get bonuspoints from your ringleader Vekiki."
"Yes!"
"... You wait here okay, while I go consult my superior."
Profile Image
Maybe if I write you a permission slip before you go....
Profile Image
"Yes."
"Say again?"
"Yes, you said that."
"Yes, I know."
"So you want to enter our country to hunt for a book that is hanging in a tree outside the park?"
"Yes."
"Sigh. So you want to enter our country to hunt for a book that is hanging in a tree outside the park to get bonuspoints for it? "
"Yes, from Vekiki."
"Vekiki..."
"Ringleader..."
"So you want to enter our country because you want to hunt for a book that is in a tree outside the park to get bonuspoints from your ringleader Vekiki."
"Yes!"

OK - that made me LOL and convinced me to try it too. : )
Profile Image
"Yes."
"Say again?"
"Yes, you said that."
"Yes, I know."
"Yes."
"Yes, from Vekiki."
"Vekiki..."
"Ringleader..."
"Yes!"

OK - that made me LOL and convinced me to try it too. : )

What? Entering another country to hunt for a book and then seeing what happens? How did it go? LOL
Profile Image
Iiwi you made my day!
Profile Image
Whaaa! Brilliant! I want to play again! I was out cycling the other day, and I still make mental notes about likely benches, streets with the names of the royal family, etc. etc. I was wondering if iiwi was going to run BC Monopoly again. I would love to play international BC Monopoly. The only thing I would change about it is the bonus points for catching another team's books because if you happen to have another player in your area, although it's great fun to hunt for each other's books, it virtually guarantees one of their teams will win. Whereas those of us who don't have any other players nearby, can never get those bonus points.
Anyway, I definitely want to join in!
Profile Image
hmmm... I'll think about the catching of other teams books - I kinda liked that it encourages a little hunting - and I think we are still fairly dispersed so effort would have to be put in to get the points. I don;t think more than a handful of books were hunted by other teams in the Dutch game, were they? What do other people think about it?
Profile Image
hmmm... I'll think about the catching of other teams books - I kinda liked that it encourages a little hunting - and I think we are still fairly dispersed so effort would have to be put in to get the points. I don;t think more than a handful of books were hunted by other teams in the Dutch game, were they? What do other people think about it?

Quite a lot were actually. But the Netherlands is a rather small country. I guess you can get into trouble with two teams with members based in one city maybe.
Profile Image

Quite a lot were actually. But the Netherlands is a rather small country. I guess you can get into trouble with two teams with members based in one city maybe.

Ok - I guess I missed out on it because I didn't live near any other players, bar one - i tried to hunt one of her books but it had gone before i got there. To be honest, i can't really see it being a problem - we are so widely dispersed, and even the occasion where there are 2 or 3 players in the same city, I think if you go to the effort to hunt another teams book, you deserve a point! If it become a problem, I'll look at it again
Profile Image

At this stage you'd better leave because the attendant might come back with nurses of the mental hospital... Books do not grow on trees for normal people! ;)

Have fun playing you all, I'm skipping this year!

Profile Image
O god iiwi, this made me laugh so hard!
I just send you a pm but now see I'm too late. such a shame... I haven't missed a mp game so far...
Profile Image

*jumps in*

I want to play! PMing you :)
Profile Image

Sounds like fun

I always figure signing up for the challenges is a good incentive to wild release -- this Monopoly twist sounds like even better incentive because of the added difficulties.
Profile Image

I'd like to have a go please
Profile Image
36 players can join - we have 25 so far.... and 11 places still to fill!

players signed up so far:
wyando
rotewoelfin
bradgirl
mark167
diane-fraser
apoloniaX
bloedengel
klaradyn
frogglin
dutch-book
Iiwi
6of8
abigailann
Ghanescha
Lils74
T02S03B11D20
Pratchitulsan
Solittletime
poofy
Bookguide
Beecie
Sing-on-a-star
marsala
wal-89
gypsysmom
you?

a couple of you have requested team mates who haven't signed up yet - i can't really include them without their permission, so please ask them to post here or PM me. I don't need any information other than that they want to play, and there BC name :)

Given how many people have signed up already, it looks like it will be 3 per team - I think anymore than that may become hard for the teams to coordinate (emailing and Pming between you to get ideas and decide what you will do for each fortnight's challenge)
Profile Image
Do you intend to bring individual players signed in into a team? Or can an individual player be part of the game? I only "saw" some of the previous monopoly-messages at the Dutch forum, which gave me the impression that only teams took part and I talked to a bookcrosser attendant who didn't know the other teammates in person so I am curious how the co-operation between the teammembers works
Profile Image
basically all the players are in teams of 3. Each turn, all teh teams are assigned a challenge according to what square they land on. You discuss with your team how you wnat to go about the challenge, and then do it - so, for example:
Your team lands on the church square
you talk about it - i say there are no churches near me, you say there's a big one down your road... the third team mate suggests that if you release on sunday morning it'll be busy so you might get a catch. You go out and release the book. Done.
Obviously that's quiet a dull way to do it - the idea is that within your team you can bounce ideas off each other and come up with something really craetive to try to win bonus points too

You don;t need to know your teammates - playing last year i had never come across either of my teammates before the game, but you soon become friends. You don;t need to live physically near them, all the communicating can be done by email. But if there is a particular player who you do know already and want to be on a team with, just PM to tell me
Profile Image
You don;t need to know your teammates - playing last year i had never come across either of my teammates before the game, but you soon become friends. You don;t need to live physically near them, all the communicating can be done by email.

That's true, Unfortunatly we didn't meet.
I think it's wonderful you took up the game! iiwi allways did a marvelous job but I can imagine it's nice he can play it this time!
I'd love to join! I'll send you a pm!
Profile Image

RE: Players

players:
wyando
rotewoelfin
bradgirl
mark167
diane-fraser
apoloniaX
bloedengel
klaradyn
frogglin
dutch-book
Iiwi
6of8
abigailann
Ghanescha
Lils74
T02S03B11D20
Pratchitulsan
Solittletime
poofy
Bookguide
Beecie
Sing-on-a-star
marsala
wal-89
gypsysmom
keeta1
Erishkigal
Nicnic2
kiwiinengland
Antara
Sklose
flewry
nattabee
passmaster
katrinat
sailorarby

Profile Image
it sounds like a lot of fun, I'm not sure I understand it all, but as long as I have two weeks to complete each task, I think I should be fine. Just two questions, do I have to be in a country with other members so make a team? And what if one day I can't get online (happens sometimes here) I wouldn't want to penalize others by not reacting promptly....
Sounds like a fun idea, I look forward to it!
Profile Image
Nope, you don't need to be in the same country as your teammates - you can communicate via email / PM.
And because there's a team of you, if your busy and can't act promplty - or can't get to a sutible release spot (like Prachi not having OBCZs near by) your teammates will be able to take that challenge instead
To be clear, you play as a team - so as long as one of your team does the challenge, your covered. And even if you decide to sit a turn out, that's fine, just you don;t get the points :)

Also - about the release spots - you can interpret them however you like. So one spot is castles and palaces: now, not everyone can get to a real castle - but you can build a sand castle... or leave a book in front of a painting of a palace in an art gallery... or find a toy shop with toy castles... or maybe something to do with the castle pieces in chess? Or... well... anything you can come up with. Creative thinking is your friend - and will earn you bonus points!
Profile Image
sign me up
Profile Image
This sounds like so much fun! I was aware of this game on the dutch forums and was so envious, but now I can play too!
I hope not having an OBCZ in my city (or country!) doesn't count as a disqualification; I saw' OBCZ' on one of the game squares of the previous board. Does my joining have most parts of the world covered for this game? :D
Playing BC Monopoly will definitely add to my incentive to wild release!
Profile Image

I hope not having an OBCZ in my city (or country!) doesn't count as a disqualification; I saw' OBCZ' on one of the game squares of the previous board. Does my joining have most parts of the world covered for this game? :D
Playing BC Monopoly will definitely add to my incentive to wild release!

Just start an OBCZ! Perhaps you get points for it.
Profile Image

RE: Me too!

I hope not having an OBCZ in my city (or country!) doesn't count as a disqualification;

1. We're playing in teams, so one of your team partners may have a OBCZ in his area.
2. If it should happen that none of them has an OBCZ in their area, be creative. Like Aaltsje said, you could create one, but in a time period of 14 days it may be possible to release a book in an OBCZ anyway. Just be creative :)
Profile Image

1. We're playing in teams, so one of your team partners may have a OBCZ in his area.
2. If it should happen that none of them has an OBCZ in their area, be creative. Like Aaltsje said, you could create one, but in a time period of 14 days it may be possible to release a book in an OBCZ anyway. Just be creative :)

All teh peopel who have specifically told me have no OBCZs, I have split up, so hopefully each team should have at least one person with access to an OBCZ. And if not - Wolfie is right - be creative :)
Profile Image
If it should happen that none of them has an OBCZ in their area, be creative. Like Aaltsje said, you could create one, but in a time period of 14 days it may be possible to release a book in an OBCZ anyway. Just be creative :)

I'm pretty hopeful that at least one of my partners will have an OBCZ in their area, But as for me, even 14 days wouldn't be possible to release a book in an OBCZ unless I travel out of my country! (And even sending a book to another country might take more time)
As for the creation of an OBCZ, I wish I could do that...but unless I find a willing location and more resources (and settle down in one city!), it's not possible for the timebeing :(
Of course, I'm sure there'll be more 'creative' options...I'm just not sure what. :P
Profile Image
I'm pretty hopeful that at least one of my partners will have an OBCZ in their area, But as for me, even 14 days wouldn't be possible to release a book in an OBCZ unless I travel out of my country! (And even sending a book to another country might take more time)

Sorry, didn't really payed attention to your country, but my guess will be, that you will have at least one team member in reach of an OBCZ.

As for my creative thoughts, well, I'm a bit restrained as it seems that being too creative could be implied as "cheating". One of my ideas would have been to find a fellow bookcrosser (none of the game, none of your team), who has a real book for you and an OBCZ in his/her reach, for which you register the book and sent the BCID via mail to this BookCrosser who will release the book with that B CID in a OBCZ, for which you again make the releasenote (and of course in this releasenote you mention that BookCrosser for being the person you "hired" to complete the mission. Kind of a UnderCover Agent ;))

Would be a fun "Community Card" (Releasing a Book in a pre-defined country none of the team-members are part of)... :)
Profile Image
That's quite a creative idea, and a good option, but I didn't know we're allowed to release it via someone else. Is it not mandatory to personally release these books?
Profile Image
Is it not mandatory to personally release these books?

Probably yes. But then again, if you really have not other option, it even could have brought you an extrapoint for having such a creative idea (not anymore, as this idea is now spoiled to public). The GoG may have been impressed. But you'll never know. Unless you take the risk of being creative. And if you have no other choice, what would you lose? :)
Profile Image
argh - Ok
Well, I would have been impressed. It may well have got a bonus point even (won't now though :P ). I'm all about the creative problem solving. And, if you choose to do this sort of thing - well, maybe I would not do it, but it doesn't spoil the game for anyone else so I think it is ok...
Profile Image

Sign me up!

Sounds like fun! Curious about how it will work...
Profile Image
Curious about how it will work...

Do you have any specific questions? i'll do my best to answer them :)
Profile Image
Curious about how it will work...

Do you have any specific questions? i'll do my best to answer them :)

Not at all, I'll just jump in and see how it works ;) Very flexible person here
Profile Image
Hey there. Bookcrossing was my favorite obsession when I lived in England...but now I'm back in the states, and I'm sadly delinquent. This may bring me back to the fold. Count me (and my adventurous little 3 year old) in.
Profile Image
I'll join. Pm on its way.
Profile Image

Yay!!

I've participated in the first dutch monopoly, which was great!!

I'd love to play again :D
Profile Image
I'd love to play, but need to think about if I can make the full commitment. The mailing is what's hard for me.
Profile Image
well, the mailing is only involved if you land on a bookshelf space - the equivalent of community chest on a normal monopoly board. And as your in teams, you can discuss with your team who will do the book posting - and as it's a pretty intl game, you should be able to find players close-ish to home. plus, of course, if you do land on that square, it's not compulsory, you can sit that turn out
let me know what you think...
Profile Image
Maybe a french player will join the game.
Other countries/Regions? Someone of Scandinavia?
Could become a very international game...
Profile Image
Sure - i know some players are already translating for the benefit of others, so feel free to post on the intl forums

I would advise though - if you are not very confident with english, it may be wise to request at least one team mate who is - simply because i will always be posting in english and it may cause problems otherwise
Profile Image
I would advise though - if you are not very confident with english, it may be wise to request at least one team mate who is -

I already had stated that the game is in english and gave the tipp they may look for an english speaking partner. :) Still, I think we don't get one of them on board ;)
Profile Image

BC Monopoly

Hi. I would love to be a part of this game :) I would like to be on a team with my sister, bradgirl :) A PM is on it's way to you now. Thanks for organising this.
Profile Image
In response to a PM question - just in case anyone else is wondering too :)
I'll send a PM out to everyone with there team on it, and just after that the first turn will be posted on the forum - I won't be PMing each turn out as I just don't have time to do that each fortnight everyone - but I'll be posting on here in the release challenges forum, and on the blog where the gameboard will be up (link at the top)
I'll be posting the turns each fortnight on a Monday, so you can just check then for your challenge - though of course if you drop in more often to see what other teams are up to and get inspiration, chatter... speculate about who's winning... :)
Profile Image
I would like to try this. I'll send a pm asap.
Profile Image
because of the unexpected popularity (squeee... brilliant!), it's noyt going to take so long to get enough players. I still have to wait for my boy to finishing photoshopping the game board together, and I know there are a couple of maybe's who are still considering signing up... so, anyway:
I'm shifting the schedule a little earlier -
Last sign up is Thursday the 5th May, or once all slots are filled
Teams will be announced on Friday 6th May
Game starts Monday 9th May

I'm limiting the number of players to 3 per team, and I'm not adding any more teams than planned because I don't think i can commit to any more of a workload than running the game will already be, plus I don;t want to overflow the board. So, that means no more than 36 players - Sorry. We already have 25 after just one day of sign ups, so there are only 11 left! Arg! if I do this again, I'll try to scale it up to include more people, but.. well.. that's it this time round I'm afraid.
Profile Image
but fun!
PM on it's way.
Profile Image
and besides, I need to get back to wild-releasing more :-) please sign me on, Vekiki!
Profile Image
If there's a team that will have me lol

Sounds like fun
Profile Image
sent you a pm
Profile Image
May I join please if there's still room?
Profile Image
sure :)
Profile Image
pming you...
Profile Image
just sent you a PM
Profile Image

Me please

if there are any spaces left. PM ing you
Profile Image
So excited for this!
Profile Image
I think all the places are filled but I would love to play. If anyone needs to drop out, for any reason even if it is after the game starts, I would be happy to take their place.
Profile Image
wow it sure fill out fast. Just saw this on the community announcement forum.
I guess I will sign on the waiting list.
Profile Image
yes, much faster than i was expecting. Sorry. I'll keep your name though, in case anyone drops out
Profile Image
so that means sailorarby is the last sign-up who could join. Bu let the organisator decide!
Profile Image
wyando
rotewoelfin
bradgirl
mark167
diane-fraser
apoloniaX
bloedengel
klaradyn
frogglin
dutch-book
Iiwi
6of8
abigailann
Ghanescha
Lils74
T02S03B11D20
Pratchitulsan
Solittletime
poofy
Bookguide
Beecie
Sing-on-a-star
marsala
wal-89
gypsysmom
keeta1
Erishkigal
Nicnic2
kiwiinengland
Antara
Sklose
flewry
nattabee
passmaster
katrinat
sailorarby

Ok... so I'll start splitting you into teams (Do PM me if you have any preferences) and will let you know on Thursday (i have a piece of coursework due Thursday morning, so after that!)
Woop Woop! I'm excited
Profile Image
I would request to be where any sailor should be, on the Battleship of course.
Profile Image
and can`t wait to find out name of my team ;-)
Profile Image
Dear Vekiki,

Apoloniax is organising a German-speaking monopoly version.

As I can speak German, I think it's fair for me to join there, so there 'll be one extra place on your board for someone who wanted to play too but couldn't because it was full.

Hope that is ok for you ?
Profile Image
I've just put you on the list, Bloedengel.
I guess azuki will be happy :-)
Profile Image
Thank you so much!! I am so glad that a spot opened up!! I am feeling lucky already.
Profile Image
just a note to add - Apolonia is running a german game at the same time as we are playing, so be sure you are checking the right challenges (No one is playing in both games) it's easy to tell which is which - this game runs in English and the german one runs in German :)

Also - in the german game there is a way to earn points by catching books from our game - which is great - But I won't be adding the same rule here because it would give too much of an advantage to players near germany so would be unfair on teams without members on continental europe
:)
In case people think that it will lead to german teams here getting more points because of catches... well... maybe it will a little. BUT books caught by pre-existing BCers have a disadvantge; you cannot get a point for signing up new members... so it's kinda swings and roundabouts hopefully

gameboard will be reveiled tonight when i finish work - with a new rule twist that my boyfriend thought of while drawing the board for us! So keep yer peepers peeled...

Teams announced on thursday (just as soon as I've finished my essay....) and game starts Monday
Profile Image
Also - in the german game there is a way to earn points by catching books from our game - which is great - But I won't be adding the same rule here because it would give too much of an advantage to players near germany so would be unfair on teams without members on continental europe

fair enough (and one of my thoughts in the german thread :))
In case people think that it will lead to german teams here getting more points because of catches... well... maybe it will a little. BUT books caught by pre-existing BCers have a disadvantge; you cannot get a point for signing up new members... so it's kinda swings and roundabouts hopefully

Didn't thought of that, so this really could be a disadvantage. But then again, you have to be lucky to get someone signing up ;)

(Journal + Signing up I guess during the complete game for whatever book that has been released based on the game (and one per turn of course)?
Profile Image
yep - a catch or AF sign up or re-release at any point in teh game will earn points... which means there is no telling as point can be earned right up to the last day.

To clarify what Wolfie has just said - yes, you can release as many books as you want - if you want to release 20 in your local suprmarket who i am to tell you otherwise? But you must choose one as your book to 'count' for the turn - and, unfortunalty, if it is a different book that gets caught.. well.. I'm sorry, but tought luck!
Profile Image
I asked her per PM but I won't put my question in detail but the answer on my question was, that each team can release as many books as they want for each turn, but at the end of each turn, just one and only one book has to be defined as THE bookrelease for that turn. If there are catches to the other books, well, that's bad luck then... and the team will not earn any point for those. THE book released for that turn has to be catched to get a point (and if AF signs up, to get another one, etc. pp.)

I thought it's just fair to share the answer on my thoughts ;)
Profile Image
I've been asked to clarify this, so here goes. If anyone is unsure, please ask

The idea is that you just release one book per challenge - this game is about 'good' (interesting, and hopefully journal-gaining) releases - quality, not quantity!
So you will get your challenge - I'd recommend you spend some time talking to your team and planning your release - that's why you have two weeks per turn - to come up with ideas and to give you time to execute them well. then you or a team member makes the release, and make release notes as normal and post on the forum here - the same as you would for any challenge.
There will be a submission deadline for each turns challenge, the Sunday evening before the next turn, you will need to have emailed me by then to claim the point for releasing the book. But I will be updating the blog and keeping an eye out for where I will award bonus points throughout the turn.
It's not the idea that you will release lots of books and then see which get caught before choosing which to select for the game - of course I cannot stop you doing that, it is a loophole in the game.
It has been suggested to me that I can close this loophole by putting in a rule about emailing me the day you make the release with a link to the book - I'd rather not make this a rule as not everyone uses the computer everyday, and especially if you decide to travel to a release spot or if your internet access is limited (as I know it is for some players) that may seem unfair. But what does everyone else think of that?

please remember it is just a game and about everyone having fun.
you'll be much more likely to get bonus points for one book with a clever or funny release, and of course that way it will be eye-catching to AFs too, so is more likely to get caught anyway
Profile Image
IMHO we dont need the rule. I can enjoy the game for the game it is and not worry about people "cheating" and definately not "cheating" myself. If others want the rule, it isnt that big of a deal but I would vote against it.
Profile Image
and not worry about people "cheating"

Well, to be honest, I never saw my thinking as cheating, but over at the discussion in the german forum for the german version of this game, it seems that other could see my thinking as cheating. So I want just clearance, that's all. :)

P.S: After all it's a game, and every game needs its strategy...
Profile Image
That was the reason for the ""s, I wasnt sure what to label it. I am a firm believer in strategy but if common consensus is that it is cheating then I wouldnt do it.
Profile Image
No, it's not cheating (well, unless I put in the new rule) but at the minute, it's not cheating :) Apo is running her game with slighly different rules, just like I changed my rules from Iiwi's - so there will be differences
And indeed, every team needs a stratagy - if that's how you want to do it, go ahead (I suppose) - as long as none of the other players feel that it is unfair on them. I mean, well, frankly, however you want to play is up to your team really, just so long as it doesn't ruin the game for others (that's why i had to check what other people think. i want people to enjoy playing, not get mad at each other)
GoG xxx
(curtsy, minions)
Profile Image
But what does everyone else think of that?

Hm. I see where you coming from. :)

The question I had sent per PM was build on the fact that the rules said you may release more than one book on each turn and was to clarify, which books would count (the one and only which has been designated to be the monopoly-game-release) as also to clarify when a catch will bring a point (only catches for the book designated to be the monopoly-game-release). That's more a reasonable and fair, oc course.

My idea behing was not about mass releases each turn, but more the kind of the possibility that each member of a team can release a book (this way each member can have the fun to release a book) and afterwards they discuss which one would be designated for the monopoly-game-release (which may be difficult to get the right decision), based on who had the better idea, the better picture, the more likely getting a catch...

Of course, there will probably turns where a teammember will say: forget it, no change that I can do this job (hopefully not all 3 of them will say so at the same turn ;), but having each teammember doing the job also helps to avoid the situation, where the responsibility is laid on the hand of one teammember, who may - due of unexpected circumstance - not fullfil the release at the end...

And yes, this way, one could speculate to see if one of those releases already get a catch before the end of the turn, to earn that point. But that's an oportunity each team would have.

So maybe not allow mass releases, but just one release per Teammember and belated at the end of each the turn, you have to get the one and only designated for the game.

Anyway, you are our GOG (Goddess of Game) and whatever you decide we will humbly follow :)
Profile Image
you are our GOG

I thought she was *veg*
Profile Image
you are our GOG

I thought she was *veg*

I'm both. multi-talented, me. :)
Profile Image
multi-talented, me. :)

Can't deny that *veg*
Profile Image
multi-talented, me. :)

Can't deny that *veg*

hemhem, you forgot to curtsy
Profile Image
I may have slightly gone to the pub instead of coming home and posting up the game board. Sorry (well.... ish). I'll do it tomorrow.
Please note: you can increase your chance of getting bonus points by sending me rum, address on rabck.com. i am not above alcohol based bribery :)
G'Night y'all
Profile Image
I may have slightly gone to the pub instead of coming home and posting up the game board. Sorry (well.... ish). I'll do it tomorrow.
Please note: you can increase your chance of getting bonus points by sending me rum, address on rabck.com. i am not above alcohol based bribery :)
G'Night y'all

It must be well into the night for you. Hope you have a lovely peaceful night. I think I'll have to pass on sending rum. Canada Post isn't very good at getting packages to Britain at the best of times. I highly suspect rum would not make it there intact (or maybe not make it there at all). I guess I'll have to rely upon my native charm now.
Profile Image
it turns out I'm not above ibuprofen based bribe either, how do you reckon post Canada would manage that?
See, I'm equal opportunities - all legal drugs considered ;)

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.