corner corner 2011 Pages Read Challenge Sign Up Thread

Forum | << Release Challenges | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

2011 Pages Read Challenge Sign Up Thread

This challenge has been successfully run for a number of years now, and is a great way to keep track of how much reading you are doing over the year.

Rules for this challenge? You must read and keep track of how many pages you are reading. At the beginning of each month, I'll start a new post for your stats for that month. Update your progress every week, every month or whatever works for you. I'll try and post up-to-date progress reports for everyone within the first week of each month, from February onwards.

At the end of the year, I will put the names of everyone who has met their goal into a bowl and draw a couple of names randomly. These people will get a small prize from the BC supply store or something from their wishlist.

How many pages will you read in 2011? To join, simply send a PM to me (KiwiInEngland). I'll keep a track of people joining the challenge in this post. You can update within the thread as you choose. You can also edit your goal if you like. Some people's goals changed as they realised they had greatly overestimated or underestimated how much they read, or their real life had changed so their reading pattern had changed.

Participants (updated 6 Jan 2010)

6of8 - Target is 25,000
bookguide - Target is 25,000
bookmaniac70 - Target is 25,000
bookstogive - Target is 50,000
candy-is-dandy - Target is 20,000
Disneyfreaksam - Target is 20,000
DoveiLibri - Target is 13,000
EerierIdyllMeme - Target is 10,000
eparks4232 - Target is 20,000
fathermurphy - Target is 35,000
Hanrahan-Siudy - Target is 12,000
ILuvToRead2 - Target is 18,000
judygreeneyes - Target is 20,000
jumpingin - Target is 18,000
katrinat - Target is 35,000
KiwiInEngland - Target is 22,000
lady-liberty - Target is 27,000
lizzyblack - Target is 12000
love2cook - Target is 40,000
marsala - Target is 50,000
mhs160 - Target is 15,000
minesayn - Target is 20,000
nancynova - Target is 40,000
QueenMrSarah - Target is 14,000
saskiasosmile - Target is 10,000
sherrisue76 - Target is 10,000
spfldjohn - Target is 25,000
susiuni - Target is ??
T02S03B11D20 - Target is 23,000
Tari-T - Target is 10,000

Complete Thread

Profile Image
This challenge has been successfully run for a number of years now, and is a great way to keep track of how much reading you are doing over the year.

Rules for this challenge? You must read and keep track of how many pages you are reading. At the beginning of each month, I'll start a new post for your stats for that month. Update your progress every week, every month or whatever works for you. I'll try and post up-to-date progress reports for everyone within the first week of each month, from February onwards.

At the end of the year, I will put the names of everyone who has met their goal into a bowl and draw a couple of names randomly. These people will get a small prize from the BC supply store or something from their wishlist.

How many pages will you read in 2011? To join, simply send a PM to me (KiwiInEngland). I'll keep a track of people joining the challenge in this post. You can update within the thread as you choose. You can also edit your goal if you like. Some people's goals changed as they realised they had greatly overestimated or underestimated how much they read, or their real life had changed so their reading pattern had changed.

Participants (updated 6 Jan 2010)

6of8 - Target is 25,000
bookguide - Target is 25,000
bookmaniac70 - Target is 25,000
bookstogive - Target is 50,000
candy-is-dandy - Target is 20,000
Disneyfreaksam - Target is 20,000
DoveiLibri - Target is 13,000
EerierIdyllMeme - Target is 10,000
eparks4232 - Target is 20,000
fathermurphy - Target is 35,000
Hanrahan-Siudy - Target is 12,000
ILuvToRead2 - Target is 18,000
judygreeneyes - Target is 20,000
jumpingin - Target is 18,000
katrinat - Target is 35,000
KiwiInEngland - Target is 22,000
lady-liberty - Target is 27,000
lizzyblack - Target is 12000
love2cook - Target is 40,000
marsala - Target is 50,000
mhs160 - Target is 15,000
minesayn - Target is 20,000
nancynova - Target is 40,000
QueenMrSarah - Target is 14,000
saskiasosmile - Target is 10,000
sherrisue76 - Target is 10,000
spfldjohn - Target is 25,000
susiuni - Target is ??
T02S03B11D20 - Target is 23,000
Tari-T - Target is 10,000
Profile Image
Brilliant - welcome on board!
Profile Image
Yes, I am definitely up for this again for 2011 and going for the same target of 20,000.

I looked back over the last 3 years of participating in this challenge (yes, I am sad enough to have kept a record). I had the same target every year but only hit it in the first year.

2008: 20879
2009: 17729
2010: I don't know yet but possibly a bit short of the target (I have to read 2188 pages in Dec which seems rather unlikely).
Profile Image
Yes, I am definitely up for this again for 2011 and going for the same target of 20,000

Brilliant, welcome back to the challenge.
Profile Image
I too, have kept track over the last few years of how many pages I have read. I think I will raise mine by 500 and see what happens. My goal = 23,000
Profile Image
I think I will raise mine by 500 and see what happens.

Good luck - I think it's always more exciting to have a target you stretch to reach but is still obtainable!
Profile Image
I figure that's an average of about 400 pages a week. I'll see how it goes and adjust from there for future years...
Profile Image
I'll see how it goes and adjust from there for future years...

Good idea, you could also see where you are at the end of three months and adjust it then if you like. By the end of March you should have a good feel of just how much you read.
Profile Image
Great! We can chat about it when you come to the Audubon BC meetings.
Profile Image
I'll shoot for 15,000 pages again. I still have about 2,500 to read this month...don't think I'm going to reach my goal. I'm gearing up for finals now, so I might have my own mini read-a-thon between christmas and new years when I have more free time. Maybe I'll be able to catch up after all.
Profile Image
I'll shoot for 15,000 pages again.

Welcome back, good luck with the readathon after Christmas. Maybe you'll get some shiny new books to read!
Profile Image
I had made a mental goal of 100 books in 2011, and based on the books I've read lately, the average is 250 pages each. My degree is in literature, not math, but I think 100 x 250 = 25,000. Who knows how close I will actually get?!
Profile Image
My degree is in literature, not math, but I think 100 x 250 = 25,000. Who knows how close I will actually get?!

Brilliant, you're in. With the maths you've provided you'll be reading about 2 books a week to hit your target. Good luck.
Profile Image
This is a great challenge--it really encourages me to read more.

I think I'll be hitting my goal of 15,000 this year (just in time), so I'm going to raise it to 16,000 for 2011.

Thanks, KiwiinEngland, for organizing!
Profile Image
Thanks, KiwiinEngland, for organizing!

I enjoyed doing it last year, so it's a win win situation. Good luck with you bigger target for 2011.
Profile Image
I've kept records of pages read this year and have only managed 6000 (a real rough calculation only) so will start with 10,000 pages although after I finish this month I will have take the time to figure it out and amend (UP only) if necessary. Will PM the same information.
Profile Image
Welcome to the Challenge. It can be a bit of a shot in the dark guessing the number of pages you will read the first time. 20,000 it is and you can always review it once the challenge has started.
Profile Image
I have never done this before but I have read 50+ books this year so I would love to give it a go.
Profile Image
I would love to give it a go.

That's the spirit. I've put your target down so you're all ready to start counting on 1st January.
Profile Image

Oh, why not?

I keep track of the number of books I read, but pages I've never done!

I think I'll go for 30,000.
Profile Image
Fabulous, I hope you enjoy the challenge.
Profile Image
I went back and again less roughly calculated my word count based on the number of books I've read this year (so far) and realized that I have read loads more than 6000 pages; therefore, doubling my number to 20,000 pages, and will PM the information. Thanks!
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting! My goal will be 20,000 pgs again.
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting!

No worries Judygreeneyes. What is your target for 2011?
Profile Image
I have a list I would like to read in English, which is not my native language. I don't read that very fast so I'm going to try to read 10.000 pages
Profile Image
I don't read that very fast so I'm going to try to read 10.000 pages

Welcome on board Mike, I hope you enjoy the challenge (and the extra challenge of reading in a second language).
Profile Image
I have a list I would like to read in English, which is not my native language. I don't read that very fast so I'm going to try to read 10.000 pages

You don't have to count only books in English, though. I'll be reading books in English as well as Dutch, which is not *my* native language;-)
Profile Image
Well, I know...
I don't a lot of time to read and I'm trying to read this series.... maybe I will read some of the Dutch writers, but than again, time remains an issue.
Profile Image
I signed up for the 666 challenge - and there's some heavy lifting (and reading) in there - many hardbacks - but that will clear the shelves, at least they will LOOK more clear!

Already added # pages to my excel spreadsheet to keep track :-)

Put be down for 20,000 pages - and I'm the third abxc'r (that's our bookcrossing group) to join this challenge!

I'm glad the goal is changeable - because sometimes life throws a curveball (an understatement in MY life!) and things have to change :-)
Profile Image
I'm the third abxc'r (that's our bookcrossing group) to join this challenge!

It's great that this is becoming a challenge for so many in your bookcrossing group. Welcome on board.
Profile Image
I signed up for the 666 challenge...
...and I'm the third abxc'r (that's our bookcrossing group) to join this challenge!

Go Audubon BookCrossers!

I'm considering signing up for the 666 challenge too, but I don't have much confidence that I'll be able to complete it. Maybe if it were 333, I'd have a better chance.

See you on Sunday, nancynova. :)
Profile Image
My goal will be the same as this year 50,000 pages!
Profile Image
My goal will be the same as this year 50,000 pages!

Perfect, enjoy the 2011 challenge.
Profile Image
1,000 more than this year's goal, which I passed at the end of November. Plus, it is 25 years since we moved to Holland next year, so I shall be fixated on the number 25!
Profile Image
I shall be fixated on the number 25!

good luck with your 25,000 goal.
Profile Image
This is my first challenge.
Profile Image
This is my first challenge.

Welcome to your first challenge love2cook, I hope you enjoy participating.
Profile Image
I'll give it a try.
Profile Image
I've added you fathermurphy, welcome on board.
Profile Image
I am going to attempt 18000 pages in 2011
Profile Image
am going to attempt 18000 pages in 2011

Brilliant - you are on the list!
Profile Image
I would like to join the challenge with a goal of 25,000. Thanks for hosting the challenge.
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting the challenge.

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy tracking how many pages you read over the coming year.
Profile Image
my target was 18000. I will be way short of that this year as I had to help a friend this summer and reading time was limited.

I think i will make my 2011 goal 12000 and hope for 1000 a month.
Profile Image
I think i will make my 2011 goal 12000 and hope for 1000 a month

Welcome back Hanrahan-Siudy, good luck getting to your 2011 target!
Profile Image
My goal right now is to read 10,000 pages or more if I can speed up my reading.

I may also do one more challenge but I haven't decided yet.

Yay, Audubon bookcrossers! I'll be the fourth to join :-)
Profile Image
I'll be the fourth to join :-)

Brilliant - you can all encourage each other as the year progresses! I hope you enjoy the challenge
Profile Image
It went surprisingly well for me this year, so I'll set my new goal at 27,000, what is about 10% more than I had in mind for 2010.

Thanks for hosting this challenge again, KiwiinEngland!
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting this challenge again, KiwiinEngland!

It's been fun for me too lady-liberty. Good luck with your goal extension.
Profile Image

I'm in

I'm going to aim for 35,000 as I have some big ole hefty books to read this year.
Profile Image
I'm going to aim for 35,000 as I have some big ole hefty books to read this year.

Brilliant, best of luck with getting to your challenge.
Profile Image
if that's okay. I set it at 16,000, as an increase over 2010's 15,000, but by the end of today (New Year's Eve), I will have read just about 16,000 pages in 2010. So to give myself a bit more of a challenge, I would like to increase my 2011 goal to 18,000.
Profile Image
So to give myself a bit more of a challenge

Good luck with you new total challenge!
Profile Image
I just changed my screenname from Mike-vH in Tari-T.
I was using my own name and found out it wasn't the smart thing to do. I have released several books in the nursing-home where I work and when they saw my name the books were returned too me :-).
I just couldn't get them to understand I was giving my books away this way, even with a note in them that said so. I love them for it but it was not what was my intention :-)

My goal will be the same as it was with my old screenname, 10.000 pages to read.
Profile Image
I just changed my screenname from Mike-vH in Tari-T.

I've made a note of that, hopefully you're releases don't boomerang back to you after the name change!
Profile Image
My goal for 2011 is 20,000 pgs.
Profile Image
My goal for 2011 is 20,000 pgs.

Brilliant, enjoy your 2011 reading!
Profile Image
Thats a lot for me a I am not a fast reader.
I suppose any book counts?
I am new to this, so curious to see how it will go as I have never counted my pages read before! Thanks!
Profile Image
I suppose any book counts?

Welcome on board sadkiasosmile. Any books you read count, fiction, non fiction, graphic novels.

It's always a bit difficult guessing how much you might read the first time you start counting pages, you can always review the number you guessed later on in the year.
Profile Image

Me too!

I'll try with 12.000 again, as I couldn't reach it in 2010. Let's see what I do this year :D
Profile Image
Let's see what I do this year :D

Best of luck with the challenge, good to see you back!
Profile Image
Based on how much I've read so far and thinking that is pretty average for my normal reading I'm going to get to 30,000 half way july. So I'm changing it into a more realistic number.
Profile Image
I was up to 10% already and it was only 2 weeks into the year! So, bumped up to 40K.

I've never counted pages, so had no idea what a realistic # was ;-)
Profile Image
I've never counted pages, so had no idea what a realistic # was ;-)

I've updated the spreadsheet.

It is always difficult figuring out what's a realistic goal the first year. Good luck achieving your new total!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.