corner corner announcing Australian Unconvention 2018 - Hobart -9-11 November 2018

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

announcing Australian Unconvention 2018 - Hobart -9-11 November 2018

And the winner is Hobart! Tentatively for November 2018. More details to follow. Organized by davemurray101

https://www.facebook.com/---/138428713467361

Complete Thread

Profile Image
And the winner is Hobart! Tentatively for November 2018. More details to follow. Organized by davemurray101

https://www.facebook.com/---/138428713467361/
Profile Image
Pleased to see you are organising it davemurray101, I thought I would end up doing it!
Profile Image
I was beginning to wonder if there'd been any discussion about next year's Australasian Unconvention.

I notice you've sensibly avoided the winter months in Tasmania!
Profile Image
I would be interested in coming as I have not been to Tasmania before.
Profile Image
I reckon I might have 4 plus ones.
Profile Image
Unconvention is being held mid-November away from the Melbourne cup when fares will be astronomical.
Profile Image
Unconvention is being held mid-November away from the Melbourne cup when fares will be astronomical.

Hi Dave, so we voted for Cup week after all? I'm not sure if people realised this when they selected the 9-11 weekend.
Profile Image
Great stuff Dave! Oozy67 and I hope to go too.
Profile Image
We've got a website! https://www.facebook.com/---/138428713467361/

It's also in the original post for ease of finding (I'm such a librarian!)
Profile Image
We've got a website!

In this company, that's not a bad thing. Not at all.
Profile Image
We've got a website! https://www.facebook.com/---/138428713467361/

Can you make it public please, so I can see it.
Profile Image
Hi Kiwiinengland

Group is now public.

DM
Profile Image
Hi Kiwiinengland

Group is now public.

DM

I still can't see it....
Profile Image

https://www.facebook.com/---/138428713467361/

Please post the winning dates for non FB users. 9 - 11 Nov I believe.
Profile Image

Confusion.

I am somewhat confused that it is now being held this weekend straight after Melbourne cup after it was decided to be held mid-November away from the Melbourne cup when fares will be astronomical. Is this so people can go to both?
Anyway, thanks for organising it Dave, Hobart is a great place and has many attractions.
Profile Image
I am somewhat confused that it is now being held this weekend straight after Melbourne cup after it was decided to be held mid-November away from the Melbourne cup when fares will be astronomical. Is this so people can go to both?
Anyway, thanks for organising it Dave, Hobart is a great place and has many attractions.

I put this on Facebook too, and I think it is so people can go to the Cup as well. The majority voted for the date.
Profile Image

I put this on Facebook too, and I think it is so people can go to the Cup as well. The majority voted for the date.

I didn't even know there was a vote going on..
No mention of it on the book crossing forum.
Profile Image

It was on the Facebook page.
Profile Image

I have been hesitant to give an opinion here, as someone has kindly volunteered to organise the next Unconvention, but why must it be on facebook? Not everyone uses it, but everyone can visit here. The unconvention and discussion is more inclusive if it is here, and what is there that can't be discussed here?
Profile Image

I didn't know there was a vote going on.
Profile Image

Neither did I. Votes should be taken here.
Profile Image

Neither did I. Votes should be taken here.

I gather if you are not on Facebook the Hobart convention is not interested in you/your opinion.
Profile Image
I think the organizer can organize in any way they choose.
They are volunteers, we are not mbrs as such we just go along if we want to. There is also no requirement as such to use this site for all BC associated activities. We are a 'no rules' kinds group.

Having been one of the organizers of a couple of these it is my personal view that FB is much easier to use when compared to this site.

BTW I don't think it was a binding referendum it was just an invitation to give an indication/vote for preferred dates.

IMO it is Dave's choice when to hold the event, how the event will be structured and what method(s) of communication he will use.
Profile Image
That's why I said initially, "I have been hesitant to give an opinion here, as someone has kindly volunteered to organise the next Unconvention."
Having been one of the organizers of a couple of these it is my personal view that FB is much easier to use when compared to this site.

I personally find FB difficult to navigate and this site much easier and clearer to use.
Profile Image

Yah!!

Haven't been to Hobart or Tasmania for quite a few years could be an extended trip on the horizon :)
Profile Image
Haven't been to Hobart or Tasmania for quite a few years could be an extended trip on the horizon :)

I will extend my holiday in Tasmania. I will take my car on the ferry.
Profile Image
There hasn't been much information; it would be reassuring to know if the date was set in stone so air tickets booked would not be a waste.
Profile Image
Also please, where in Hobart please. Thank you :)
Profile Image
Also please, where in Hobart please. Thank you :)

Again, davemurray101 would be the person to speak to. I'm not sure if you've ever visited Hobart but it's really not a big city. The CBD area is really quite compact.

Like you, I don't have any real information but I'm assuming most events will be in/near the CBD (pretty much all the Australian Uncons I've attended in the past have followed this pattern). I've gone ahead and booked accommodation in the CBD on this basis. Basically, any accommodation in the CBD will not be far from the action.

If, for some reason, the Uncon doesn't go ahead on the planned dates in November 2018, I have to admit I'm not particularly worried. I would have taken a short holiday at roughly that time of the year anyway, and my Hobart holiday will be going ahead, irregardless of a BC Uncon.

I understand the circumstances may be different for people who have further to travel.
Profile Image
I'm not sure if you've ever visited Hobart but it's really not a big city. The CBD area is really quite compact.

I have visited Hobart several times. Last time I stayed (just over a year ago) about 11kms from the centre, but it was still in Hobart, so that's why I wanted a better idea where to stay. The centre of Hobart might not be big, but the city of Hobart spreads out.

The previous visit to that I stayed in the CBD, but the hotel had no on-site car parking.
Profile Image
There hasn't been much information; it would be reassuring to know if the date was set in stone so air tickets booked would not be a waste.

As far as I'm aware, davemurray101 is the only organiser. I'm not sure how often he peruses the BC fora. You could try PMing him if you require a speedy answer.
Profile Image
Hi Kiwiinengland

Sorry I haven't been on forums since December.

Date is set for 9-11 November. I'm currently working out the details for program. I'm definitely including Salamanca Markets and Moma at some point in the event.

DM
Profile Image
Hi Kiwiinengland

Sorry I haven't been on forums since December.

Date is set for 9-11 November. I'm currently working out the details for program. I'm definitely including Salamanca Markets and Moma at some point in the event.

DM

Brilliant, thanks for confirming....I can now start planning g 😊
Profile Image

Many thanks

Dates pencilled in looking forward to MOMA on the bucket list and we thinking of heading down later this year now we can combine it with meeting some of our fav friends and some of the others from across the pond

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.