corner corner Loughborough Uncon 2017 - catches

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Loughborough Uncon 2017 - catches

Starting a thread for Loughborough Uncon catches.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Starting a thread for Loughborough Uncon catches.
Profile Image
@zoevakarian on instagram found "The pillow fight" by Nicholas Monsarrat in Loughborough 3 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/---/BZa8x5cHnSo/

I don't know who released the book or if the catch has been journaled, but I guess this was one of the books released during our release walk on Sunday:-)
Profile Image
I was a little disappointed that only half of the books that I took to the Uncon have been journalled. Therefore I don't know whether they were taken from the book buffet tbr, released on the walk or taken to restock an OBCZ. Thanks however to the bookcrossers who did journal the other ones.
Profile Image
I was a little disappointed that only half of the books that I took to the Uncon have been journalled. Therefore I don't know whether they were taken from the book buffet tbr, released on the walk or taken to restock an OBCZ. Thanks however to the bookcrossers who did journal the other ones.

Yes, I know what you mean, however some people may not be home yet as they were continuing their holiday. It's is even more disappointing when your NSS partner puts the books you gave them straight on the book buffet.
Profile Image
Thanks for that earthcaroleanne. I admit I hadn't thought about some bookcrossers still being away from home. Also NSS books being added to the book buffet is not good. I only have books I want to read on my wish list and if I'd made a mistake or found I'd already read a gifted book I would explain when I journaled/rereleased the book. Still I guess it takes all sorts to make a world as the saying goes and this is obviously also true of the book crossing community.
Edited to add that I forgot the NSS books didn't have to be wish list books when I wrote the above. I was lucky to find one of my partners w/l books on my shelf but otherwise I would have chosen something I thought they would like.
Profile Image
I think that we could bring this to the forefront at next year's Uncon by asking people to journal everything that they take from the book buffet for the release walk. I have always done so but it might not occur to some.

Re the NSS book going back on the book buffet that is a little hurtful, especially if it was on their wishlist which of course should be up to date for anyone who registers for NSS.
Profile Image
Re the NSS book going back on the book buffet that is a little hurtful, especially if it was on their wishlist which of course should be up to date for anyone who registers for NSS.

The ones put on the buffet weren't wishlist books. With only a week to get a parcel together I only managed to get one wishlist book but I didn't think it was enough so put together a themed package which obviously wasn't to their taste, but a journal would have been polite. However, having said that, last year I gave someone 6 wishlist books none of which have been journalled. The first thing I do every morning is check my emails for the daily digest so following my books is a big part of bookcrossing for me. I get very excited by a journal entry - I know, I'm a bit sad.
Profile Image
I don't think it's sad checking for journal alerts-it makes my day when I get one!
Profile Image
This is not something bookcrossers have ever been asked to do before release walks as far as I know. Some bookcrossers are wonderful and always do it, even with release photos! Releasing books on a phone as we all know is very tedious and time consuming. It's not very practical with a large bagful of books! I'm always thankful to those who do manage to do it but also understand that not everyone has the technology to hand that makes it possible. I release my books to the UnCon but unless an individual bookcrosser takes any for themselves I consider them in the lap of the gods!
Profile Image
I release my books to the UnCon but unless an individual bookcrosser takes any for themselves I consider them in the lap of the gods!

This.
I like to put a review of all the books that I journal, so if you're asking me to journal all books picked up for the release walk, I'm not sure how I would review them?

I'm disappointed though that the person who received my book in the book swap game hasn't journalled it.
Profile Image
I release my books to the UnCon but unless an individual bookcrosser takes any for themselves I consider them in the lap of the gods!

This.
I like to put a review of all the books that I journal, so if you're asking me to journal all books picked up for the release walk, I'm not sure how I would review them?

On this note, I like my book shelf to be for books I've read and journaled myself, books that aren't mine will skew my stats! Just putting this in the mix!
Profile Image
I wouldn't ask anyone to review books released on the walk but just to say that they had been released in that way. Several of mine were placed on the book buffet, but never heard from again. I just wondered where they went.
Profile Image
I don't know how you'd say they'd be released in that way without journalling them, which would make them appear on your shelf, though?

I guess I could write a list and put it on the forum, would that work for you?
Profile Image
The person who received MY book in the bookswap game hasn't journalled mine either.
Profile Image
The person who received MY book in the bookswap game hasn't journalled mine either.

I can't see any excuse for this. I've been hoping the person who got mine was still travelling, but it now seems too long for this to be the reason. :(
Profile Image
Spoke too soon, mine has just been journaled, so there's hope for you yet! :)
Profile Image
That's good-I'm still waiting and hoping.
Profile Image

My book has been "caught" and has now been read! I double checked to make sure I journalled the book I caught and have now started reading it.
Profile Image
Yes, asking everyone to journal books released on the release walk is a very good idea. I was told I could write down the numbers if I wanted to but it wasn't essential. I did write them down as it meant I have more books to follow and added to the books' history for the original registrant.
I made a note of the numbers and then released the books on my laptop when I got home.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6657776

This was the first book I released on the walk. Remember the wonky door?
Profile Image
Yes, I remember you leaving that there. Cool!
Profile Image
Great to get a catch for such a well journalled book.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.