This thread continues in: https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/541997
Profile Image
We were just wondering the same thing!
Profile Image
Good question it would be nice to know who will be bidding
Profile Image
This convention junkie wants to know??????? 😀
Profile Image
By 2018 it will be 7 years since the last convention in the US.
Profile Image
I think that makes a lot of sense. Let's see if anyone steps up. Are you volunteering?
Profile Image
Are you volunteering?

Fellraven's profile says he/she is in the UK, not the US.
Profile Image

Good point! But then it wasn't very useful to bring it up, since we can't volunteer others... only ourselves.
Profile Image

Good point! But then it wasn't very useful to bring it up, since we can't volunteer others... only ourselves.

I'm not volunteering anyone, merely making an observation. I'm surprised that there haven't been and US contenders for a while now.

Maybe Canada could have another go. Montreal? Vancouver? At least it would be on the right continent for US members.
Profile Image
[Maybe Canada could have another go. Montreal? Vancouver? At least it would be on the right continent for US members.

I know that Calgary has a fun and active group of BookCrossers. I tried to encourage them to host it, because I would love to go to Calgary again. They said they might consider an UnCon. Perhaps those who have done UnCons and Cons can tell them whether the difference is significant.
Profile Image
[Maybe Canada could have another go. Montreal? Vancouver? At least it would be on the right continent for US members.

I know that Calgary has a fun and active group of BookCrossers. I tried to encourage them to host it, because I would love to go to Calgary again. They said they might consider an UnCon. Perhaps those who have done UnCons and Cons can tell them whether the difference is significant.

The difference is only in the numbers of overseas visitors that will come and the consideration of putting good information on your website to assist their travel within your country. Additional travel information is appreciated e.g how to get to venue from airport, transport systems e.g buying a certain card for bus travel etc. plus doing a bit of research on different types of accommodation is very helpful. Many overseas visitors will stay longer than just the weekend in your country so a lovely tradition is to organise a trip of some kind ( often but not specifically) on the Thursday preceding the Convention. In the UK our Uncons are pretty much the same as our Convention but this may not be the case in all countries. I believe the Uncons in Oz and NZ tend to be more laid back than their Conventions.
Remember there are lots of experienced Conventioneers who are more than willing to share their expertise with any country thinking about hosting the 2018 Convention.
Traditionally the bid for 2018 would happen during the Athens Convention. With only 3 weeks to go will any country be putting their hand up? I do hope so.
Profile Image
This has been cross posted to the Calgary group and we will discuss it at our meeting tomorrow, I'm sure. One of the issues is that many of our members already help plan a literary convention in August.

We don't have anyone going to Athens though...
Profile Image
We don't have anyone going to Athens though...

There's a lovely tradition of having someone at the Convention do your presentation in your name. And if yours is the only bid, then you really can't lose!
Profile Image
This has been cross posted to the Calgary group and we will discuss it at our meeting tomorrow, I'm sure. One of the issues is that many of our members already help plan a literary convention in August.

Definitely one of the places I would like to go! I cross my fingers that you will have luck convincing the others in you meeting tomorrow.

Is the literary convention in August every year? I ask because the other convention is only now in August 2016, they will have more than one and a half year to recover between the two conventions.
Profile Image

So back to Calgary... Is an UnCon still a possibility? ; )
Profile Image
I would love to go to Calgary again. They said they might consider an UnCon. Perhaps those who have done UnCons and Cons can tell them whether the difference is significant.

I think the Greek team should have an opinion on that by now.
Profile Image

Well, having organised an UnCon in Skyros for greek bookcrossers I can tell you the differences:

1. You're not bound by the time of the Convention, so it doesn;t have to be around the 21st of April. You can schedule it for the time that best fits your own city.
2. The official language is the language of the hosting city and not English. This makes a difference mostly in the scheduled events and printed material. However even in our greek Uncons, website, programme, maps and everything else was bilingual, eventhough we didn't have any foreign partcipants in the end. Anyway translating everything in English for us greeks was very easy and wouldn't be a problem.
3. We didn't have official bookcrossing store with us in our Greek UnCons, but in two of them we had bookcrossers from abroad attending.The official announcements should be made in more different forums (for different language speakers). The problem with transferring money or making registrations from abroad wouldn't be much of a problem for Athens Convention if we didn't have capital controls in Greece due to the crisis at the moment. Other than that it's easily solved via internet.
4. There are NO OTHER differences . The style of each Con or Uncon is the one of the city or town or people that are organising it. We always have many books, much food, great fun and meet new people.
Profile Image
I have assisted with the organizing of two UnCons and am assisting with another next year on Stewart Island in New Zealand.

The most time consuming thing was contacting all active bookcrossers to encourage them to attend -

Kept it very low key

Arranged a variety of venues for all meals Friday, Saturday and Sunday and advised the venues of approximate numbers - everyone pays for themselves and I suggest you do not get into the dietary preferences thing that was a nightmare the first time I did an Uncon. I suggest linking people to the restaurant website and they can sort out their own requirements.

Arranged a release walk on the Saturday and also supported the organization of other tourist type activities

The Conventions I have attended have had guest speakers, goodie bags, clothing, and people have paid. We did not charge for the Uncons people were responsible for themselves and their own accommodation arrangements etc.

I would love to go to Calgary again. They said they might consider an UnCon. Perhaps those who have done UnCons and Cons can tell them whether the difference is significant.

Profile Image
I have assisted with the organizing of two UnCons and am assisting with another next year on Stewart Island in New Zealand.

The most time consuming thing was contacting all active bookcrossers to encourage them to attend -

Kept it very low key

Arranged a variety of venues for all meals Friday, Saturday and Sunday and advised the venues of approximate numbers - everyone pays for themselves and I suggest you do not get into the dietary preferences thing that was a nightmare the first time I did an Uncon. I suggest linking people to the restaurant website and they can sort out their own requirements.

Arranged a release walk on the Saturday and also supported the organization of other tourist type activities

The Conventions I have attended have had guest speakers, goodie bags, clothing, and people have paid. We did not charge for the Uncons people were responsible for themselves and their own accommodation arrangements etc.

Profile Image

Maybe Canada could have another go. Montreal? Vancouver? At least it would be on the right continent for US members.

It would still be only the regular bookcrossers. I was surprised at the Convention in Washington DC at how few locals were there.I know that the US is a big country but look how far away New Zealand and Australia are from the rest of the world and how many of us get to Conventions.
Profile Image
yeah, but you guys have international travel as part of your national mentality! Not sure that this is the case in the USA to the same extent (or the UK, although as a small island international travel isn't very far away!)
Profile Image
I really want Northern Colorado to do at least an UnCon sometime. Fort Collins (where I am) is a great low-key location and is getting some good facilities for convention activities, and Boulder, Denver, and Rocky Mountain National Park are close enough that visitors can build really nice vacations around the event. The main obstacles are that our BC community is not very cohesive right now, and travelling to and within the US, even for citizens, is not a happy thing these days. Maybe in 2021, it will be different, assuming the USA is still a thing.

Anyway, my goal is to strengthen the community here to the point we can work on a Con or UnCon plan for 2021.
Profile Image
Anyway, my goal is to strengthen the community here to the point we can work on a Con or UnCon plan for 2021.

Go for it! We are overdue for a Con or UnCon in the states.
Profile Image
my goal is to strengthen the community here to the point we can work on a Con or UnCon plan for 2021.

That is excellent news. It would be great if as many of us as possible have a chance to attend a Convention every few years.
Profile Image

Spain

Would love to go to Barcelona Madrid or Valencia in Spain or Lisbon in Portugal

Billbooks Melbourne
Profile Image
After all it's the home of BookCrossing, would love to go to a US Convention sgain, Charleston was fantastic! We've been spoilt having it in Europe so often, but it is a lot of work as I know from London and Taking a very minor role helping at Oxford. Come on United States you can do it!
Profile Image
The trouble with the US is we're all so scattered. While there are loads of active individuals, there aren't so many active *groups*. But you know I'll be at any US convention in a second, especially if it's east of the Mississippi river, since I'd be able to drive there in a day or less.
Profile Image
I would like to go to the US, I've never been there...

Profile Image
the german part of the forum is very active, too
Profile Image
the german part of the forum is very active, too

My first thought after reading the above list was a surprise at how it's never been organized in Germany, considering how many active bookcrossers there are...

By the way, since Calgary was mentioned I just wanted to say I got quite excited about the idea of going there some day. It's unlikely I would ever end up in that location otherwise though, so a BC convention would help a great deal ;)
Profile Image
There's a German BookCrossing convention every year. That might be why they haven't thrown their hat in the ring for the international one.
Profile Image
Yes, that makes sense... on the other hand, since they're organising it anyway, they would not need to change much at all to make it into the international convention.
Profile Image
Yes, that makes sense... on the other hand, since they're organising it anyway, they would not need to change much at all to make it into the international convention.

I have frequently talked to them about holding the convention but they kept making excuses. I have enjoyed the German conventions that I have been to.
Profile Image
Actually, we are organizing the first french UnConvention in Bordeaux, so why not the Anniversary Convention in 2018?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/524990
http://convention-pirate-bordeaux.blogspot.fr/

Profile Image
Actually, we are organizing the first french UnConvention in Bordeaux, so why not the Anniversary Convention in 2018?

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/524990
http://convention-pirate-bordeaux.blogspot.fr/

Cross my fingers we will have bids both from Calgary and from France! It would be fun to have a vote, and who doesn't win the 2018 vote will have a good chance in the 2019 vote.
Profile Image
OMG I would so love a convention in these places... Bordeaux - i totally won't have a problem enticing my hubby to come along.

I would love to be there for the UnCon too but I don't suppose there's many English speaker there?

Billbooks mentioned Lisbon. i know that someone is planning an UnCon there in July, you can check the Portuguese forum, but I don't believe there are enough active BCers there to host a Con right now. Just like i would love to invite you guys to Miami, Florida but as we don't even have a group of active BCers it's impossible for me to host an event by myself.
Profile Image
I would love to be there for the UnCon too but I don't suppose there's many English speaker there?

Come to Bordeaux so I can finally meet you !!!
Profile Image
OMG I would so love a convention in these places... Bordeaux - i totally won't have a problem enticing my hubby to come along.

Of course the official language is french, but there will be many German BCers and also some english speaking french people - and discoverylover from NZ
http://convention-pirate-bordeaux.blogspot.fr/---/participants.html
Currently I am preparing a registration form in three languages - French, German and English
So come on don't hesitate!
Profile Image
Billbooks mentioned Lisbon. i know that someone is planning an UnCon there in July, you can check the Portuguese forum, but I don't believe there are enough active BCers there to host a Con right now.
As you know, Joaquim has enough energy all by himself!
Profile Image

It's OK!

Bordeaux will bid for the convention 2018!

Profile Image
Wow!!! Amazing News!! Well Done to Krissa33.
I hope there isn't a vote to be honest. Someone will lose and that's bound to be a disappointment for them after putting a bid together. Since I have been in BC ( 8 years) I have not experienced a vote for the world Convention, there has only ever been one country at a time bidding. I would have been gutted if Oxford had lost in a vote for example. And taken no pleasure in beating another country either.
Profile Image
I would have been gutted if Oxford had lost in a vote for example.

If the Dutch team had lost the bid in 2008, I'm pretty sure we would simply have put one in again the year after. After all, we'd already done the work.
Profile Image
Well, if there IS a vote I hope there's also an option to vote both, because I certainly wouldn't be able to choose between Bordeaux and Calgary!
Profile Image
Well, if there IS a vote I hope there's also an option to vote both, because I certainly wouldn't be able to choose between Bordeaux and Calgary!

You just pick whichever one you want for 2018 and the other location can bid on 2019. Simple. I'm pretty sure there have been votes between bids before.
Profile Image

You just pick whichever one you want for 2018 and the other location can bid on 2019. Simple. I'm pretty sure there have been votes between bids before.

Sure, but when you want both of them equally that's where the picking gets a little less simple ;)
Profile Image
I certainly wouldn't be able to choose between Bordeaux and Calgary!

Then you don't need to vote, because you'll be happy about the chosen location either way. ;-)
Profile Image
Yay, I'd love to go to Bordeaux and I'd convince my mum to go too.
Profile Image

RE: It's OK!

Yay yay yay!!
Need to open a bottle of champagne to celebrate!! Or should it be a Château Latour?

Profile Image

Yay yay yay!!
Need to open a bottle of champagne to celebrate!! Or should it be a Château Latour?

Château Latour - or why not Château Yquem ;-)
Profile Image
Hooray! :-)
Profile Image
Thanks for confirming that Bordeaux will bid, Krissa33! That is really good news:-)
What about Calgary, megami-no-ushi?
Profile Image
Thanks for confirming that Bordeaux will bid, Krissa33! That is really good news:-)
What about Calgary, megami-no-ushi?

How about if Calgary hosts an UnCon for North America? Maybe in 2017 as 2016 is likely too much a rush. After all, it has been a looooong time since we have a Con or UnCon on this continent. And if the Calgary folks find it a lot of fun, then maybe they want to host a really big one for 2019. LOL.

Well, it may sound like I prefer Bordeaux over Calgary, as I responded to that first, but honestly, as others said, I would have a hard time deciding who to vote for.

Profile Image
How fun to read two groups wants to host the convention. I'm looking forward to the bids.

However, I always thought the voting should take place in the forum. So that bookcrossers not attending can have their say. But since there's no system for that I guess it'll be hard to manage.
Profile Image
How fun to read two groups wants to host the convention.

I'm not seeing that. I'm only seeing that Bordeaux is stepping forward, and no other place.
Profile Image
How fun to read two groups wants to host the convention.

I'm not seeing that. I'm only seeing that Bordeaux is stepping forward, and no other place.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry to confuse things, I read too fast I guess.

Bordeaux, hurray!!!
Profile Image
Sorry to confuse things, I read too fast I guess.

No worries, it happens, especially if you have something as fun as a Convention to distract you!
Profile Image
Congratulations Bordeaux 2018! I hope to come:-)
Profile Image
Thank you everybody!
Looking forward to see you in Bordeaux :-)
Profile Image
Congrats from me too!!! I would really like to visit Bordeaux(wine tour? ;-) )
Profile Image
Congratulations :-)
Profile Image
love Bordeaux! bravo Krissa!
Profile Image
Great news.
Profile Image
So glad to hear the news. No need to persuade my hubby to tag along at all. I am sure we will stay on a little bit longer to tour the many vineyards and what not. Really excited!! i have never been to Bordeaux and when I last went to France I was still a student and knew nothing about wine.

BTW is the Bordeaux bid video/presentation somewhere online?
Profile Image
So glad to hear the news. No need to persuade my hubby to tag along at all. I am sure we will stay on a little bit longer to tour the many vineyards and what not. Really excited!! i have never been to Bordeaux and when I last went to France I was still a student and knew nothing about wine.

BTW is the Bordeaux bid video/presentation somewhere online?

Yes, I'll give you the link when I'll be back on my computer.
Profile Image

Link

Here is the link to the Bordeaux bid presentation:

https://youtu.be/jhu7DSK9ZA8

Enjoy - and come to Bordeaux in 2018!

Profile Image

RE: Link

Here is the link to the Bordeaux bid presentation:

https://youtu.be/jhu7DSK9ZA8

Enjoy - and come to Bordeaux in 2018!

Lovely! Where are the grapes?
And I gather there will a river cruise, and duck confit? LOL
Really excited.
Profile Image
Excellent! I hope to be there in Bordeaux
Profile Image
Excellent! I hope to be there in Bordeaux

I hope so too!
Profile Image
Although I'm not a cook I enjoy Rick Stein's TV programmes. The first episode in his new series is in Bordeaux. If you can get BBC iplayer, you might enjoy this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/---/rick-steins-long-weekends-1-bordeaux

I want that plate of mussels!
Profile Image
Although I'm not a cook I enjoy Rick Stein's TV programmes. The first episode in his new series is in Bordeaux. If you can get BBC iplayer, you might enjoy this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/---/rick-steins-long-weekends-1-bordeaux

I want that plate of mussels!

Thank you for the link! Unfortunately, I can not watch the video because it is only available in the UK

Profile Image
It looks like I may get to come! My son and d-I-l are thinking about accompanying me, to France at least. They're not bookcrossers, but I hope I can convince them to join. They know about it from me. Husband doesn't think he wants to make the trip - he has chronic, sometimes severe back pain, and our latest trip within the U.S. almost "did him in" as he says.

Anyway, do you have much info yet regarding hotels, activities, etc.?
Profile Image
Anyway, do you have much info yet regarding hotels, activities, etc.?

Actually, we are working on our website, and we'll give you all those informations soon!
Have a look here:
http://www.bc2018bdx.org
Profile Image
Hi Krissa

I wanted to register in Oslo but kept missing you. Can I still register now, or do I have to wait until the website is up and running?
Profile Image
I see we can register on the website already with early bird prices until December.
Profile Image
I see we can register on the website already with early bird prices until December.

Yes meganh, that's right!
Profile Image

OK meganh, thank you, we received 40,01€
Profile Image
Hi Krissa

I wanted to register in Oslo but kept missing you. Can I still register now, or do I have to wait until the website is up and running?

It is OK, everybody can register right now. The website is not finished, but it's running.
I receive all messages about the money arived on our accountes, and then I put you onto this list
http://bc2018bdx.blogspot.fr/---/attendees.html
Profile Image
Thank you, I bookmarked it.
Profile Image
Mathas' Cheatau has very good, free, overnight, motorhome parking
Thors, has a very cheap, camp ground, with free WiFi. Various sites. There's a free, swimming hole & restaurant.
They're about 2 hours from Bordeaux.
(My sister lived in Louzignac & we spent 2 weeks there)
Profile Image
Mathas' Cheatau has very good, free, overnight, motorhome parking
Thors, has a very cheap, camp ground, with free WiFi. Various sites. There's a free, swimming hole & restaurant.
They're about 2 hours from Bordeaux.
(My sister lived in Louzignac & we spent 2 weeks there)

Thank you gaboyd, I'll put some links on the website later!
Profile Image
regni, qucumber, MetteLind and travelina have signed up & paid, and are looking forward to the convention in Bordeaux!

(Orgateam; there is a little spelling mistake in the attendees list, it's MetteLind, not MetteLinde.)
Profile Image
regni, qucumber, MetteLind and travelina have signed up & paid, and are looking forward to the convention in Bordeaux!

Yes, all the money arrived well

(Orgateam; there is a little spelling mistake in the attendees list, it's MetteLind, not MetteLinde.)

Sorry, changed

Profile Image
from Lamilla (BY) and sota48 (N)
40€ each

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.