corner corner 2013 New Zealand/ Australia Unconvention Dates .

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

2013 New Zealand/ Australia Unconvention Dates .

As hinted at in Canberra, the 2013 New Zealand / Australia ( Australasian or Southern Cross) Unconvention will be held in Queenstown New Zealand.

So start planning a trip to what will be one of the most Southern Unconventions so far on 18, 19 and 20 October 2013.

The organisers Futurecat, Kiwiinengland and Edwardstreet are happy to be advised of your intention to attend.

A Facebook and website page are being considered/planned.

Details will be posted as arrangements are confirmed.

We look forward to you joining us in what we believe to be one of the most beautiful and exciting places on planet earth.

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
As hinted at in Canberra, the 2013 New Zealand / Australia ( Australasian or Southern Cross) Unconvention will be held in Queenstown New Zealand.

So start planning a trip to what will be one of the most Southern Unconventions so far on 18, 19 and 20 October 2013.

The organisers Futurecat, Kiwiinengland and Edwardstreet are happy to be advised of your intention to attend.

A Facebook and website page are being considered/planned.

Details will be posted as arrangements are confirmed.

We look forward to you joining us in what we believe to be one of the most beautiful and exciting places on planet earth.
Profile Image
Queenstown Bookcrossing Uncon 2013

Please share with your bookcrossing friends

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hp#!/events/257736547686137/
Profile Image

Facebook states you now need to log on to see this page. Previously you could see it without logging on.

Have the settings been changed?
Profile Image
not by me
Profile Image

Facebook states you now need to log on to see this page. Previously you could see it without logging on.

I checked it is public, perhaps you need to be logged in as a FB user? No idea.
Profile Image

I checked it is public, perhaps you need to be logged in as a FB user? No idea.

You didn't use too, as I am not a Facebook user but have previously been able to see the page.
Profile Image
Try this informative website for all the information you require about accomodation, flights and exciting and wonderful things to do

http://www.queenstownnz.co.nz
Profile Image
Alas, oozy67 and I are unable to attend as we will be overseas - but we wish you all the best for a great weekend in Queenstown.
Profile Image
Alas, oozy67 and I are unable to attend as we will be overseas - but we wish you all the best for a great weekend in Queenstown.
Overseas - in New Zealand!
Profile Image
Overseas - in New Zealand!

LOL, you snitch!
Profile Image
I've been to some amazing places over the years, but Queenstown is the most beautiful. Looking down from Bob's Peek over Lake Wakitipu with the Remarkables in the background is an unforgettable experience.

Count me in - and Kerri agreed to come along. Looking forward to recreating some of my 2003 releases.
Profile Image
I've been to some amazing places over the years, but Queenstown is the most beautiful. Looking down from Bob's Peek over Lake Wakitipu with the Remarkables in the background is an unforgettable experience.

Count me in - and Kerri agreed to come along. Looking forward to recreating some of my 2003 releases.

Thrilling news. You and Kerri were marvelous hosts at the Canberra UnCanvention and along with the other Canberrians set an amazingly and previously unsurpassed standard for an Uncon.
I hope the marvelous scenery will distract from any shortcomings.
Profile Image
I can recommend the Creeksyde Camp Ground (even if they can't spell!)

http://www.camp.co.nz/

We stayed in one of their motel units which was really nice! It's even within walking distance of a second hand bookshop, the Black Cat bookshop!
Profile Image
I can recommend the Creeksyde Camp Ground (even if they can't spell!)

http://www.camp.co.nz/

We stayed in one of their motel units which was really nice! It's even within walking distance of a second hand bookshop, the Black Cat bookshop!

We will book Flatjay in to a tent somewhere.
Profile Image
She's always pretty intense!

Profile Image
Don't flatter her so

She's always pretty intense!

Profile Image
to get to Melbourne for 2014 it is unlikely that I can make Queenstown. I have marked 2013 for European travel. I am sure that I will be happy enough going to Sweden.
Profile Image
Wow, the early advisory has meant people are taking advantage of cheap airfares, two people have already booked flights and several more have indicated their intention to attend.
Profile Image
Wow, the early advisory has meant people are taking advantage of cheap airfares, two people have already booked flights and several more have indicated their intention to attend.

Hurrah!! As Queenstown is known for extreme sports, I wonder if we can do extreme releasing while we are there.
Profile Image

So I guess the dates are now set in stone? :)
Profile Image
Yes the dates are absolutely locked and loaded.

So I guess the dates are now set in stone? :)

Profile Image

I thought I posted on this forum two days ago that I had booked my flights - but I can't find the post anywhere. I'll be arriving on Wednesday 16th and leaving on Wednesday 23rd.

Is there to be a 'base' or a general area for most of the action? I know it's too early for plans - just after any clues for close accommodation. I don't like the backpacker thing. Much prefer luxury - as cats are won't to do!
Profile Image

Is there to be a 'base' or a general area for most of the action? I know it's too early for plans - just after any clues for close accommodation. I don't like the backpacker thing. Much prefer luxury - as cats are won't to do!

How exciting that you are coming to Queenstown.

There is no base yet, but Queenstown is a pretty compact place so if you stay anywhere central you will be within walking distance of where to go.

Edwardstreet's link about Queenstown accommodation is useful. We have both booked accommodation at the YHA Central. Perhaps if you look at google maps where the YHA is and then hunt for more luxurious places close by as a starting point.
Profile Image

There is no base yet, but Queenstown is a pretty compact place so if you stay anywhere central you will be within walking distance of where to go.

Edwardstreet's link about Queenstown accommodation is useful. We have both booked accommodation at the YHA Central. Perhaps if you look at google maps where the YHA is and then hunt for more luxurious places close by as a starting point.

Done some googling, and it'll probably be the Novotel. They charge $126 (AUD) per night if I make a booking for 7 nights, yet if I book 7 consecutive nights individually it's $118 per night - same room type. I would have thought a longer stay would qualify for cheaper rates - less housekeeping, etc. I know it's not a huge amount, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?
Profile Image
All hotel rates are negotiable I believe, ring it may be worth the cost of the phone call.

Done some googling, and it'll probably be the Novotel. They charge $126 (AUD) per night if I make a booking for 7 nights, yet if I book 7 consecutive nights individually it's $118 per night - same room type. I would have thought a longer stay would qualify for cheaper rates - less housekeeping, etc. I know it's not a huge amount, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?

Profile Image

"Done some googling, and it'll probably be the Novotel. They charge $126 (AUD) per night if I make a booking for 7 nights, yet if I book 7 consecutive nights individually it's $118 per night - same room type. I would have thought a longer stay would qualify for cheaper rates - less housekeeping, etc. I know it's not a huge amount, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?"

No sense. But I have heard of similar things at other chains.

Profile Image
OMG you are making me sooooo envious but all my savings and requests for additional leave are going into the Melbourne 2014 Convention. I think that I had better not look on this thread too much or I may really go green with envy!!!
Profile Image
I will be there, might consider bringing the family along too!
Profile Image
I will be there, might consider bringing the family along too!

rarsberry - This is why you were on the list of attendees. Apology perhaps.
Profile Image
The YHA Queenstown Central does rooms ( cheap) with ensuites. Difficult to book on line ( too soon) but taking bookings by phone.
Profile Image
The YHA Queenstown Central does rooms ( cheap) with ensuites. Difficult to book on line ( too soon) but taking bookings by phone.

I must have had a different experience to you, Edwardstreet. I had a look at the YHA website to get an idea of prices and availability and went through the booking process just short of actually entering credit card details. It seemed to work fine up to that point - when choosing dates there were drop down boxes up to and including November 2013.
Profile Image
Good, I had a chat with them and told them others might want to book so suggested they make rooms available online for Nov 2013 as others would be wanting to book, perhaps.

I must have had a different experience to you, Edwardstreet. I had a look at the YHA website to get an idea of prices and availability and went through the booking process just short of actually entering credit card details. It seemed to work fine up to that point - when choosing dates there were drop down boxes up to and including November 2013.

Profile Image
So... shall I add you as a confirmed attendee?

Profile Image
So... shall I add you as a confirmed attendee?

Not quite yet - no bookings made!

Profile Image
Try:

http://www.trademe.co.nz

Along the top toolbar, they have Book a Bach and Travelbug.
We have used holiday houses, though Book a Bach, for places like Akaroa, Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass and Hamner Springs.
They end up being a fairly economical, option, if splitting the cost with someone else.
Profile Image
You PM me April 2013 saying I had not advertised this and here you are particpating in a forum months ago giving accomodation advice. Apology perhaps

Try:

http://www.trademe.co.nz

Along the top toolbar, they have Book a Bach and Travelbug.
We have used holiday houses, though Book a Bach, for places like Akaroa, Kaikoura, Arthurs Pass and Hamner Springs.
They end up being a fairly economical, option, if splitting the cost with someone else.

Profile Image
I have never, really overlapped with you or know you. But aren't you nitpicking/being snotty?
I was repling to a Pmail, you sent out in the last few days, about attending the unConvention.
If you know anything about me, you would know, I have bigger things to deal with, than an Unconvention.
Profile Image
I have never, really overlapped with you or know you. But aren't you nitpicking/being snotty?
I was repling to a Pmail, you sent out in the last few days, about attending the unConvention.
If you know anything about me, you would know, I have bigger things to deal with, than an Unconvention.

Not being snotty, or nitpicking. I know nothing about you. I do know you replied to the forum post ages ago so was surprised when you suggested I needed to post in the forums.
I spent hours promoting the Uncon and so was annoyed when you reprimanded me for not posting in the forums when, if you had exercised your memory you would have recalled posting in the forum with accomodation suggestions ( thanks).
Perhaps it would have been kinder of you to check before suggesting I was remiss in any way. Shame you are so negative about the Unconvention, I have helped organise both Conventions and Unconventions and it is truly rewarding, but can be tiresome dealing with negative people who don't seem to appreciate the effort that goes into such events.

I hope you reflect and think before pressing send next time, a little awareness of the time I had spent on PMs to all active bookcrossers ( 10 plus hours) appreciation would have been nice.
Profile Image
When I replyed to your Pmail, sent out in the last couple of days, I asked if you could please put a reminder on the Forums. I check the Forums, regullary and had hadn't seen anything recently. Going by the posts on this Thread, it has been about 2 months, since something has been posted.
I did not post anything, on the Foruns, until after you did.
About being being negativce about the Unconvention/Conventions, I have no idea where you got this idea from. As a organiser of previous Conventions, you would know, I was involved in the Christchurch 2004, mini - Convention and was asked by Rasaberry to Dunedin for the next. Then with the ones since, both awhina and I manage accounts for family members. They were invited and we weren't.
Asfor spending 10 hrs Pmailing people. It was your choice and how am I supposed to be aware of something like that? If you are feeling, like needing help, ask instead of being resentful. Un/Convention aren't run by one peron.
I suggest you stop being so sensitive and get over it.
I have bigger things to deal with. My retal property tennancy has been terminated, because there is more than 80% earthquake damage.
(A Pmail wa also sent by Edwardstreet, titled "So....")
Profile Image
When I replyed to your Pmail, sent out in the last couple of days, I asked if you could please put a reminder on the Forums. I check the Forums, regullary and had hadn't seen anything recently. Going by the posts on this Thread, it has been about 2 months, since something has been posted.
I did not post anything, on the Foruns, until after you did.
About being being negativce about the Unconvention/Conventions, I have no idea where you got this idea from. As a organiser of previous Conventions, you would know, I was involved in the Christchurch 2004, mini - Convention and was asked by Rasaberry to Dunedin for the next. Then with the ones since, both awhina and I manage accounts for family members. They were invited and we weren't.

Asfor spending 10 hrs Pmailing people. It was your choice and how am I supposed to be aware of something like that? If you are feeling, like needing help, ask instead of being resentful. Un/Convention aren't run by one peron.
I suggest you stop being so sensitive and get over it.
I have bigger things to deal with. My retal property tennancy has been terminated, because there is more than 80% earthquake damage.
(A Pmail wa also sent by Edwardstreet, titled "So....")

Thanks for the explanation and offer. Have a great day, no help required at this stage, you have done enough already.
Profile Image
I was involved in the Christchurch 2004, mini - Convention.

Can I very gently remind you gaboyd that you might have attended the mini convention in Christchurch in 2004 but you were never one of the organisers.
You have also stated in a post here int his thread that you are not interested in the unconvention in Queenstown therefore why are you getting your knickers in a knot.
Profile Image
A Pmail was sent out recently, inviting BXers.

I am not sure where you got the idea that I replied, on the the Forums, that I wasn't intrested.
But as normal, you had to comment.

Profile Image
A Pmail was sent out recently, inviting BXers.

I am not sure where you got the idea that I replied, on the the Forums, that I wasn't intrested.
But as normal, you had to comment.

Despite all this can I still mark you down as an attendee at the Queenstown Uncon please?
Profile Image
so far and in less than a week!

Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring and Mrs Skyring
Edwardstreet
Fee19
Lakelady2282
-tui-

Please assist and send a PM invitation to every bookcrosser you know and contribute to making this a wonderful Unconvention
Profile Image

Exciting

As we are in Invercargill its not to far away and makes a perfect holiday excuse,
Do consider going :)
Profile Image
As we are in Invercargill its not to far away and makes a perfect holiday excuse,
Do consider going :)

Oh you should, bring all the family and tell your folks it will be educational to speak to people about books!!
Profile Image
I'll be there. No bookings yet. Not sure if +1 yet. Well done (un)organisers
Profile Image
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring and Mrs Skyring
Edwardstreet
Fee19
Lakelady2282
-tui
Newk
Profile Image

Update

Attendee Update
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring and Mrs Skyring
Edwardstreet
Fee19
Lakelady2282
-tui
newk
Meganh
Leith
Total = 12
Profile Image
I'm 85% sure of attending next year. Just joined the facebook group.
Profile Image
I'm 85% sure of attending next year. Just joined the facebook group.

85% sounds good enough to put you on the list
A bakers dozen now Yay!
Profile Image
Attendee Update
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring and Mrs Skyring
Edwardstreet
Fee19
Lakelady2282
-tui
newk
Meganh
Leith
davemurray101
Total = 13/blockquote>
Profile Image
I've just had confirmation that there'll be a particularly cool surprise as part of the release walk. Can't wait!

^ ^
=+=
v
Profile Image
I've just had confirmation that there'll be a particularly cool surprise as part of the release walk. Can't wait!

^ ^
=+=
v

Can I guess what it is and does the word ice feature?
Profile Image

Can I guess what it is and does the word ice feature?

Not even close - you'll never guess this one!

^ ^
=+=
v
Profile Image
Attendee Update

Romney
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring
Edwardstreet
Fee19
Lakelady2282
-tui-
Sherlockfan
Meganh
Leith
Davemurray101
BargainQueen
K-j-h
alkalinekiwi
awaywithfairies
Newk
Gaboyd

Apologies if I have missed anyone- please PM me( Edwardstreet) if you want your name added. It would be good if the "maybes' confirmed or not.
Profile Image
The travel consultant is hard at work developing two options of trips in 2015 for Australian and NZ bookcrossers.
Option 1 will include the World Convention in Oxford and a trip to Turkey possibly Gallipoli, too early to tell due to ballots for the centenary

Option2 will include the World Convention in Oxford and then a trip for the Anzac centenary to the war cemeteries of France.

Will have flyers soon
Profile Image

Queenstown

Should be able to make it unless some unforseen event arises in the next few months. Looking forward to the meeting and some touring never been to the South Island Love to hear back from some locals on the must doess
Profile Image
Should be able to make it unless some unforseen event arises in the next few months. Looking forward to the meeting and some touring never been to the South Island Love to hear back from some locals on the must doess

Looking forward to meeting you.
Profile Image
So you may please add MrFan to my name on the list.
Where is everybody staying? or recommending?
Profile Image
So you may please add MrFan to my name on the list.
Where is everybody staying? or recommending?

Some poeple are staying at the Central YHA (including myself, -tui-, and Edwardstreet)

Cat207 mentioned the novotel near by.

Profile Image
and we haven't booked anywhere yet either so are open to recommendations ..other than backpackers (the memory of the Brisbane passion palace still lingers)!
Profile Image

Accommodation

I am booked in at the Novotel. $827 for 7 nights. It's a 5 minute walk between there and YHA Central.
Profile Image
and we are booked at the Coronation Lodge which is 5 minutes from the centre of town and has free internet.
http://www.coronationlodge.co.nz/

Profile Image
and we are booked at the Coronation Lodge which is 5 minutes from the centre of town and has free internet.
http://www.coronationlodge.co.nz/
You've talked me into it. Some nice places in Queenstown.

Only two blocks from Starbucks. Bonus!

Profile Image
Is Kerry coming with you - more upmarket than the backpackers you usually stay!
Profile Image
Is Kerry coming with you - more upmarket than the backpackers you usually stay!
Sadly Kerri is not attending. Herds of BookCrossers make her uneasy.

And, to be honest, I'm not much of a one for staying at backpackers nowadays. Horrid airport hotels are more my style...

Profile Image
I am at the YHA, in a room with ensuite, cheap and cheerful.
Profile Image
We are also at Coronation Lodge. Should be good fun. Pity about Kerri not coming. Skyring do please tell her she'll be missed.
Profile Image
We are also at Coronation Lodge. Should be good fun. Pity about Kerri not coming. Skyring do please tell her she'll be missed.

Done. She says she will miss you too.
Profile Image
Romney
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring
Edwardstreet
Fee19
Lakelady2282
-tui-
Sherlockfan
Meganh
Leith
Davemurray101
BargainQueen
K-j-h
alkalinekiwi
awaywithfairies
Newk
Gaboyd
Pixette
Billbooks

Profile Image
Attendee Update
Romney
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring
Edwardstreet
Marmee463
Lakelady2282

Zimra TBC
-tui-
Sherlockfan
Meganh
Leith
Davemurray101
BargainQueen
K-j-h
alkalinekiwi
awaywithfairies
Newk
Gaboyd
Pixette
CarnelianRune
Mr Fan
Profile Image
22 regos I would love to make it to 30, please pass the word along.
Profile Image
Zimra has advised she is a TBC
Profile Image
....please add me to the list....I have just booked my flights and accommodation - Coronation Lodge. I'm soooo excited.
Profile Image
....please add me to the list....I have just booked my flights and accommodation - Coronation Lodge. I'm soooo excited.

excellent, sadly Fee19 has withdrawn - numbers at this stage remain the same
Profile Image
And the release walk is all planned. Plus an extra special surprise :-)

^ ^
=+=
v
Profile Image
Ooh, wonder what surprise you have planned for us?
Profile Image

I wish it was that they're flying me in from Edinburgh! Or possibly flying you lot out to visit me :p I'm going to miss you all!
Profile Image
I wish it was that they're flying me in from Edinburgh! Or possibly flying you lot out to visit me :p I'm going to miss you all!
It won't be the same without you. Save up your pennies and as Scotland's winter begins to bite, you can fly your young man out to show him Queenstown in Spring. Heaven on earth!

Profile Image
It won't be the same without you. Save up your pennies and as Scotland's winter begins to bite, you can fly your young man out to show him Queenstown in Spring. Heaven on earth!

Would you believe my young man doesn't even have a passport at the moment! Really need to get him onto that!
Profile Image
Would you believe my young man doesn't even have a passport at the moment! Really need to get him onto that!
Too right! You in just the right place to grab cheapie last moment airfares to all sorts of places. Weekend in Paris and it's already Friday? No worries, just grab the passport and a bag of books...

Profile Image
Does it involve books?

Profile Image
Does it involve books?

I'm sure it will!
Profile Image

My lips are sealed. The only hint is to wear sensible shoes...
Profile Image
Just to let you know that Billbooks and Greggie H will be there. Busily planning our holiday now.
Profile Image
Good news - look forward to catching up.
Profile Image
Just to let you know that Billbooks and Greggie H will be there. Busily planning our holiday now.

Excellent.
Profile Image

Fantastic..........I'm really excited now.........is it a health risk to be so excited??????
Profile Image
I am spending the weekend in Queenstown sussing out suitable venues for eating, drinking and socialising.
Minus 8 overnight and between 1 and 3 during the day. Sun out and absolutely glorious vistas.
This will be a great Uncon I feel sure.
Profile Image

This will be a great Uncon I feel sure.
So long as you are there, it will be glorious!

Profile Image
Just been doing some investigation into activities I can do on my days outside the convention dates - I'm in Queenstown from 16th to 23rd October.

I'd like to do a tandem skydive and also 'The Ledge' sky swing. These things are much better shared with a friend, so is there anyone I can interest in joining me on these activites? A group would be even better!
Profile Image
Otakuu is now able to join us.
Profile Image
Otakuu is now able to join us.

WOOHOO!!!!!
Profile Image
My new passport should be arriving within the fortnight. I know this has probably all been discussed, but I am only just joining this discussion. Where are people staying in Queenstown and what are the hotel rates? Also, are there any other females who might be staying on and would like to discuss the possibility of sharing a car and accommodation to reduce costs? I plan to stay about a month and make a real holiday of it. Warning, I like to Geocache! But if a travel companion finds this boring I can reduce this to only a few a day. I have other questions too, but won't bombard you with them all in my first entry into this. I am really looking forward to this.
Profile Image
My new passport should be arriving within the fortnight. I know this has probably all been discussed, but I am only just joining this discussion. Where are people staying in Queenstown and what are the hotel rates? Also, are there any other females who might be staying on and would like to discuss the possibility of sharing a car and accommodation to reduce costs? I plan to stay about a month and make a real holiday of it. Warning, I like to Geocache! But if a travel companion finds this boring I can reduce this to only a few a day. I have other questions too, but won't bombard you with them all in my first entry into this. I am really looking forward to this.

How exciting. We also have a FB page where you could post this enquiry.
Profile Image
FB page

I'm not on FB, sorry.
Profile Image
FB page

I'm not on FB, sorry.

A lot of the attendees aren't , I just double post because some people find FB more convenient and easy to operate than the forums.
If you scroll you can see Lakelady and others are also doing tours.
Profile Image
Marmee463
TheCrafteecCod
Romney
Cat207
FutureCat
KiwiinEngland
Skyring
Edwardstreet
Lakelady2282
-tui-
Sherlockfan
Meganh
Leith
Davemurray101
BargainQueen
K-j-h
alkalinekiwi
awaywithfairies
Newk
Gaboyd
Pixette
CarnelianRune
Mr Fan
Zimra TBC
BillBooks
Otakuu
Goldenwattle
Greggie H

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.