corner corner German bookcrossing-UnConvention in Konstanz/Germany from October 1st – 3rd 2011 - registration deadline 15th of August!!!!!!!!!

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Perhaps Germany will do a world convention one day and then I'll be able to come (hint, hint)?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Dear bookcrossers all around the globe,

from October 1st – 3rd 2011 there will be the German bookcrossing-UnConvention in Constance/Germany. As Constance is located in the very south at the beautiful Lake Constance the UnConvention will be called südSEEcrossing. The lake is located at the borders of 3 different countries and we would be happy to welcome loads of participants from all around the world. Here is the link to our homepage.

http://seekultur.de/---/index.html

We’re all crazy (for books), sexy and cool! It’s gonna be so much fun!
So be there or be square!

bloodthirsty
Profile Image
thanks to lytteltonwitch we found out. webmaster is informed an I hope he will find the time to fix it.
If you have any problem to get your information or whatever question there might be, be free to pm me!
Profile Image
thanks to balkonkel!
Profile Image
Are you coming, lytteltonwitch? Hope to see you there!
Profile Image
Are you coming, lytteltonwitch? Hope to see you there!

I hope to come but I am a bit nervous about not being able to speak German.
Profile Image

You absolutly don't have too! There will be enough bookcrossers who speak english (or kind of ;)). And at the end of the UnCon you for sure will speak some german :)
Profile Image

Don't worry about it, I'm happy to translate for you.
And we'll teach you all the essential swearwords.

Profile Image
I know that there is a small airport on the other side of the Lake but which is the best International airport. Stuttgart seems to be the closest but I can't find a direct flight. After the convention I am looking at going to the Black Forest area and have looked at hostels in Baden Baden and Ortenberg. Is it easy to get to these places from Constanz? I will be taking trains or buses as I would be too nervous about driving on the other side of the road plus I don't have an International driver's licence.
Profile Image
which is the "small one on the other side of the lake" offers direct flights to and from Gatwick
http://www.fly-away.de/---/flight-plan/
The next bigger airport would be Zurich.
Of course you can go to the Black Forest by train starting in Constanz.
http://www.bahn.de/---/index.shtml
It takes about 2h 40m to go to Baden-Baden and will cost between 21,- and 39,- € and you don't even need to change trains.
I can help you buying the cheapest ticket if you want. And tell you what you need to know about the price system.
I don't know Ortenberg but the hostel manager of the Baden-Baden youth hostel is a friend of mine and I know for sure that public transportation will bring you safely from the station to the hostel. :-)
I don't own a car since many years and I can go almost anywhere I like with public transportation. It only needs a little organization and sometimes a little help from the aboriginals. (A big smile will lure them out of their hidey-holes ;-)
Profile Image
I could only get the hotel for 30/09 to 04/10 and I am arriving on the 28th but will probably book myself into the Youth Hostel for a couple of days.
Have sent my email for registration.
Profile Image
Yeah! :)
Profile Image
by pay pal the registration.
Profile Image

You've got a message.
Profile Image

You've got a message.

Thanks for the message and I have replied. Solves my problem as the bank fee to sent the money is horrendous.
Profile Image

Thanks for the message and I have replied. Solves my problem as the bank fee to sent the money is horrendous.

You're welcome. There's no need to flush anyones hard earned money down the drain this way. ;)

Profile Image
The registration deadline is the 15th of August. It is possible to register after this date in case someone can only plan in short terms. But as we only have a low budget it might happen we run out of goodie-bags for the latecomers.
Profile Image
to book trains or buses on-line. I plan to go from Konstanz to Freiburg im Breisgau, then to Baden-Baden and then Heidelburg and then finally to Munich. I had hoped to go to Ortenburg but couldn't find public transport to the Hostel. Also how do I find out the station that is closest to the hostels.
Profile Image
to book trains or buses on-line. I plan to go from Konstanz to Freiburg im Breisgau, then to Baden-Baden and then Heidelburg and then finally to Munich. I had hoped to go to Ortenburg but couldn't find public transport to the Hostel. Also how do I find out the station that is closest to the hostels.

Wyando just directed me to this thread ;) Seems I have some reputation as the resident public transport geek. Not without a reason, I have to admit.

It is usually not necessary to book trains or buses in advance in Germany. You might get a better price for prebooked tickets, but only in long distance traffic. For shorter distances there is no reason to buy a ticket in advance.

As long as you stay within of the state of Baden-Württemberg - and all places you list do that except of München/Munich - the maximum you really have to pay is 21 EUR. This so called "Baden-Württemberg-Ticket" is a daypass valid from 9 am (Mon-Fri) or all day (Sat/Sun) for all _local_ trains, buses and trams within of the state and sometimes a little bit beyond. It is _not_ valid on the fast long distance trains (IC/EC/ICE/TGV), though. They have their own pricing scheme and usually are much more expensive. Of course it's not always the cheapest solution to take the Baden-Württemberg-Ticket, and not always the best solution to restrict oneself to local trains, but it's an upper limit for a necessary price. And it always includes the city bus.

For the trip from Heidelberg to München, IMHO a prebooked "Sparpreis" discount ticket on a fast train would be recommendable. It's possible to book them online if you own a credit card. Prices start at 29 EUR but vary between connections, also these tickets are subject to availability - there's only a limited quantity for each price level. Prices for "Sparpreis" tickets generally raise 14 days before departure, and latest they can be booked is 3 days before departure. After that, only the higher standard price is available. If you tell me when you need to go, I might be able to recommend you something specific, and maybe even get a few euros of additional discount for you.

About public transport to the hostel:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de allows you to enter adresses instead of stations for an itinerary. The computer will then try to find a station or bus stop in reasonable distance by itself, and even display a map of the remaining walking part. However, the results are sometimes a bit weird, and sometimes these connections won't really work, so it might be a good idea to let someone double check them. It will give you a hint where there's a bus stop nearby which has useful connections at least.

Please note: I'm not going to read this forum or just this thread. I don't plan to attend the convention either. So please send questions by mail/PM if you want an answer ;)
Profile Image
Thanks for this and it might be just as easy for me to buy my tickets when I arrive in Konstanz.
Profile Image
Thanks for this and it might be just as easy for me to buy my tickets when I arrive in Konstanz.

which place are you going to stay in Konstanz?

If you have enough time in Konstanz, don't forget to take the ferry from Konstanz Staad (bus Nr. 1 or 15) to Meersburg (on the other side of the lake), it is a wonderful view !!! and not too expensive, the ferry is leaving every 10 min. Just ask any BCer from Konstanz, I am sure somebody is willing to show / go with you.

I really do miss the ferry... *sigh* it is one of my favourite things to do in Kostanz (I lived there for 4,5 years)

----

Do you mean Ortenburg in Bavaria? It is in the middle of nowhere and seems to be kind of tricky to get there with public transport - and it takes very long! (2,5-3h+)

http://www.bayern-fahrplan.de/---/fahrplanauskunft

I found two possibilities from Munich:

Train to Vilshofen, then Bus 6108 to Ortenburg

or

Train to Passau, then Bus 6173 to Ortenburg

Profile Image
and I am in Friedrichshafen. Will go to Ibis in Konstanz on Friday.
Profile Image
Hi and welcome, see you there on Saturday.
Profile Image
and I am in Friedrichshafen. Will go to Ibis in Konstanz on Friday.

Hi Lytteltonwitch I found a lot of books for you ;-) see you soon
Profile Image
Welcome to Germany, litteltonwitch! I'm still in England, but made it to London today. Will arrive in Constance by Friday evening. See you soon again!
Profile Image
with a GPS can get lost, who knows but I did. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Profile Image
I don't know if the weather is as nice as it is here, but if so, hopefully it will hold!
Profile Image
ditto! Hope it's a great success!
Profile Image
ditto! Hope it's a great success!

Ditto from me as well - hope you're all having fun!
Profile Image
Thank you, I bet we will.
I just arrived too... spending the whole day on buses, planes and (crowded) trains can be so exhausting... Looking forward to tomorrow :-)
Profile Image
:-)
Profile Image
Perhaps Germany will do a world convention one day and then I'll be able to come (hint, hint)?
Profile Image
(hint, hint)

We'll keep that in mind. Just give us a few decades to think it over ;-)
Profile Image

What she said!!! (Bigger hint, hint, hint)
Profile Image

What she said!!! (Bigger hint, hint, hint)

You're very welcome to any german unconvention! The next one will be in Berlin, May 10-13 2012, buc2012.wordpress.com
Profile Image
I can see this witch in her New Zealand bookcrossing T-shirt
Profile Image
Thanks, great photos, looks like everyone is having a good time.
Profile Image
Here: http://www.flickr.com/---/6202938730/

I <3 Bucherhund(Robbe) and BC-hund :-)
Profile Image
I was delighted to receive it this morning. I'd love to come to a German Uncon one year or even better a German World Convention (2014 ?! )
Many Thanks,
MissMarkey
Profile Image
Hope to see you in Berlin in May, MissMarkey!!!
Profile Image
Mine arrived today, it's wonderful, will make a great bookmark! Thank you all.
Profile Image
I even recognised some of the names! :D

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.