corner corner BC Convention in Thessaloniki, Greece - July 2006

Forum | << Conventions and Meetings | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

BC Convention in Thessaloniki, Greece - July 2006

We are pleased to announce the first greek BookCrossing Convention (or should we call it "Unconvention"?) which will be held in Thessaloniki, Greece, from Friday 14th July to Sunday 16th July 2006, although you are welcome to attend any time, even if just for dinner one night.

VENUE:
Hotel ILIOS, Egnatia 27, Thessaloniki
Tel.: (+30) 2310 510 318
http://www.ilios-hotel.gr/
PRICES per night:
single room: 30 euros
double room: 40 euros (20 euros per person)
triple room: 51 euros (17 euros per person)
(prices do NOT include breakfast)

Contact us and let us know what kind of room you'd like, and who you will share it with.

The event is still being organised (it's our first time! Any ideas, help and advice would be more than welcome!).
Further details on any activities will be announced in due course.

Those of you who are interested in attending:
Please send a PM here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/OBCZ-Froutotypo (write "Convention" as subject) and further information will be sent to you.
Book your flights now, while it's cheaper! :-)

Those of you who are NOT interested in attending:
We could still need your help...
Contact us (see link above) and we'll find a way to make you feel as if you were there with us!
=> Here's and idea: Send us a book with a postcard in it! You never know in whose hands it might end up! :-)

We're looking forward to meeting you all!

Lavrentia a.k.a. Luz-de-Luna, on behalf of the Convention team.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
We are pleased to announce the first greek BookCrossing Convention (or should we call it "Unconvention"?) which will be held in Thessaloniki, Greece, from Friday 14th July to Sunday 16th July 2006, although you are welcome to attend any time, even if just for dinner one night.

VENUE:
http://www.ilios-hotel.gr
PRICES per night:

Contact us and let us know what kind of room you'd like, and who you will share it with.

The event is still being organised (it's our first time! Any ideas, help and advice would be more than welcome!).
Further details on any activities will be announced in due course.

Those of you who are interested in attending:
Please send a PM here http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/OBCZ-Froutotypo (write "Convention" as subject) and further information will be sent to you.
Book your flights now, while it's cheaper! :-)

Those of you who are NOT interested in attending:
We could still need your help...
Contact us (see link above) and we'll find a way to make you feel as if you were there with us!
=> Here's and idea: Send us a book with a postcard in it! You never know in whose hands it might end up! :-)

We're looking forward to meeting you all!

Lavrentia a.k.a. Luz-de-Luna, on behalf of the Convention team.
Profile Image
A colleague of my husband's usually goes back to her family in Thessaloniki each summer. I will ask if she is going this year and if she will take some books to you for the convention.

Have you already read through the comments on previous conventions to see what works and what doesn't?

I hope you have lots of fun with it - be sure to delegate so that you have time to enjoy your convention too. I have never organized a convention but I helped to plan a family reunion and when it was over I was exhausted and realized that I hadn't met any of the family members, who had come from all over North America, because I had been too involved in all the details. It left me feeling that I never wanted to do one again.

I wish I could join you there, :-)
Jellylava
Profile Image
Whilst sadly not able to attend in person (state lottery win notwithstanding, tba), I shall of course be there in spirit :)
Profile Image
You could be of great help, though... I'm wondering about a "Trivia Quiz" night... What could the questions be? You are the Expert! :-D
Profile Image
> You could be of great help, though... I'm
> wondering about a "Trivia Quiz" night...
> What could the questions be? You are the
> Expert! :-D

Reports of my expertise are greatly exaggerated I fear :)
Profile Image
> > You could be of great help, though...
> I'm > wondering about a "Trivia
> Quiz" night... > What could the
> questions be? You are the > Expert!
> :-D Reports of my expertise are greatly
> exaggerated I fear: )

That is so not true. You were a truly awesome questioner. We've had jess and you, both totally superb. Who will Adelaide choose, I wonder...

Pete, rooting for Newk
Profile Image
So, could you please help me with this? Where could I possibly find the questions? Where did you find yours? Did you make them up? SOS!
Profile Image
A mixture of created and sourced material . . If you can give me a few days I'll find those resources and PM you with some suggestions.

Profile Image
>If you can give me a few days I'll find
>those resources and PM you with some
>suggestions.

Hi (((Lavrentia))) ~ did you get my email okay? Was it of any help to you??

Profile Image
I'm very tempted to join you!
Profile Image
Well done Greece!
Profile Image
Great Logo! Really looking forward to meeting you all! :)

Profile Image
That is one very good-looking logo. Even here in Asutralia I knew it was Greece without even a location. Says it all.
Profile Image
Profile Image
As the days till the Convention get fewer and fewer, I'd like to say a word, if I may.

When we first decided to organise the first greek BC Convention, we knew it would be hard, and it most certainly was. To tell you the truth, we originally started making preparations for much more than just 30 attendees, and we're definitely going to miss all of you who wanted to, but finally couldn't make it to the Convention. Let's just hope that there will be another opportunity soon!

I'd personally like to thank:
- my fiancé Trypokarydos, who stands by me, no matter what.
- my father, for his donations of equipment and financial support.
- Krystallis, the owner of "Froutotypo" Coffee Shop, who has always offered us plenty of books, help and tolerance; who agreed to host the first greek OBCZ; and who is willing to empty the place on the first evening of the Convention, so that we can all fit in!
- the bookshops: VivlioVardia and Protoporia.
- the gentle BookCrossers from all over the world, who have sent us books for the Convention. Thank you, people! You are family!
- my friends and fellow BookCrossers who have contributed to the 'making of' of this grand meeting. To name a few: aris1, apapsa, mmjrules, ZlatkoGR, workaholicgr, CASPER85, lola81, PinkManager, tzil, anemos, pepita-di-Corfu, dentistartist. You all know how much you mean to me.
- Last but not least, a huge THANKS goes to our founders: Ron, Heather and Bruce. Thank you for the message you've sent for the Convention Booklet! Nothing would have happened without your inspiration and creativity!

Luz
Profile Image
Include a postcard and wrap the book, so we can all pick one and get a surprise!
Here's the mailing info:

Lavrentia Foustana
Androutsou 22
59100 Veria
Greece

Thank you all!
Profile Image
VENUE:
http://www.ilios-hotel.gr
PRICES per night:

Profile Image
I've PMd you too!
Profile Image

hotel

Lavrentia, I've PMed you about a double room, but am posting here in case there is a glitch with the message.
Profile Image

*bump*

Profile Image

bump

Profile Image
Happy Bookcrossing all!

If anyone of you will in in Cyrpus next February and would like a mini convention or meet, please let me know! I'd love to meet you all.
Profile Image
We're in the news! The convention is mentioned in the Greek Radio-Television (ERT) website
http://book.ert.gr/book_main.asp?...
Sorry it's only in greek - but it briefly describes BookCrossing and features the convention logo. Yay!

Oops, the link seems to generate an error - but you may reach it through the link in the announcement in the greek forum thread http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3658332

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.