corner corner First Sentences Virtual Bookbox-Round 14 OPEN

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

First Sentences Virtual Bookbox-Round 14 OPEN

The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 13 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 14.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/539165

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc etc etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a
good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 14 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Participant order:
Icila
Clairby11xxx
jlautner
Bookworm-lady
keeta1
mcsar
sedna5213
Mankyi
greenbadger
Meekachu07 --LIST IS HERE
bookworm76
chawoso
Bluezwuzl
Soozreader
lilith89
rhythmbiscuit
BooksNBeer
Tsjara
mysteriousmummy
kizmiaz
Delphi_Reader
Annimanni
VintageVanguard
Ann1244
booklady331

Complete Thread

Profile Image

The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 13 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 14.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/539165

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc etc etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a
good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 14 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Participant order:
Icila
Clairby11xxx
jlautner
Bookworm-lady
keeta1
mcsar
sedna5213
Mankyi
greenbadger
Meekachu07 --LIST IS HERE
bookworm76
chawoso
Bluezwuzl
Soozreader
lilith89
rhythmbiscuit
BooksNBeer
Tsjara
mysteriousmummy
kizmiaz
Delphi_Reader
Annimanni
VintageVanguard
Ann1244
booklady331
Profile Image
I'm in again.
Profile Image
I'm in, I'll have more time to make a choice now I'm not wedding planning!
Profile Image
Count me in again... :)
Profile Image

Yes please :)

Thanks for the reminder.
Profile Image

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Please add me.
Profile Image

In again!

Thanks a lot for the reminder!
Profile Image
Profile Image
Thanks for the PM. I have moved some suitable books to the top of TBR. :)
Profile Image
Truly enjoy this box
Profile Image
Profile Image
I am in again.
Profile Image

Oh yes!

Please add me, too.
Thanks for the reminding PM!
Profile Image
Thank you for the PM!:)
Profile Image

Yey!

I would love too, but I am still having trouble... Is there a pm thing on this webbsite cuz I can not find one 😥
Profile Image

PM

Lilith89,

I sent you a PM with instructions for finding the PM link. I hope it helps you.
Profile Image
I'm in for this round! Thanks.
Profile Image
Hope you got my PM
Profile Image
Hope you got my PM

Yes I did.
Profile Image

Yes please

Thanks for the reminder :)
Profile Image
Thanks for the PM
Profile Image

can I?

Haven't done one of these in a while.
Profile Image
I see you mentioned no PMs, so not sure what all those PMs are about.... Do you need some seed books from everyone to get this started? If so, how many? When does this start?
Sorry, newbie here, too many questions!
Profile Image
No seed books needed. I originally started with 10 books, but over the years a few people have thrown in extras, hence the 14 we have now. You just need to find as many books as sentences you choose when it's your turn.

We start tonight, after I make my choices and replacements.
Profile Image
Thanks for adding me!
Profile Image
Thanks for the help with understanding how the PM works :D I want to join again, it has been great fun! thank you for organizing this <3
Profile Image
Just a note ... I see my name twice in the list ^^ : *
Profile Image
I'm picking out :

10. You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.
11. I'm not the pretty sister.
13. "Just behave."

I replace them with :
- On the morning Vera died I woke up very early.
- Ann can feel the acid churning in her stomach and creeping up her throat; her head is swimming.
- Some towns inspire.
Profile Image
I will take out:
12. The wagon came out of the sun with its attendant din of iron rims turning on flinty shale, its worn silvergray fired orange by the malefic light flaring behind it, the driver disdaining the road for the shortcut down the steep incline, erect now and sawing the lines,, riding the brake onehanded until the wheels locked and skidded, then releasing it so that wagon and team and man moved in a constantly varying cacophony of shrieks and rattles and creaks and underlying it all the perpetual skirling of steel on stone.

And replace this with:
"They were not railway children to begin with."
Profile Image
That is one long sentence! 😱
Profile Image
12. The wagon came out of the sun with its attendant din of iron rims turning on flinty shale, its worn silvergray fired orange by the malefic light flaring behind it, the driver disdaining the road for the shortcut down the steep incline, erect now and sawing the lines,, riding the brake onehanded until the wheels locked and skidded, then releasing it so that wagon and team and man moved in a constantly varying cacophony of shrieks and rattles and creaks and underlying it all the perpetual skirling of steel on stone.”

This turned out to be Twilight by William Gay!
Profile Image
I haven't ventured beyond the Finnish forum for quite a while but now I think it's time to be a little more adventurous again :)
Profile Image
I chose:

10. On the morning Vera died I woke up very early.

My replacement:

Small trees had attacked my parents' house at the foundation.

collectorkerri tells me that my choice belongs to icila. I will pm her and later let you all know what book it is.

Thanks!

Judy
Profile Image
The book is Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine (Ruth Rendell) - one of my favorite authors![

[I chose:

10. On the morning Vera died I woke up very early.

My replacement:

Small trees had attacked my parents' house at the foundation.

collectorkerri tells me that my choice belongs to icila. I will pm her and later let you all know what book it is.

Thanks!

Judy
Profile Image
To join?
If so, I would love to join this round. Sounds like great fun!
Profile Image
if still taking participants I would like to be in
Profile Image
My choices:

1. She was dead the minute she answered the 'link.

And of course:

I believe in ghosts.

My replacements:

"She sat on the edge of the bed in the darkness, by the open window, enjoying the play of the moonlight on her breasts and the long line of her thighs."

And

"Everything would have been different if the stranger hadn't come into our midst."

Thanks for setting this up... and now, for the surprises!...
Profile Image
My choices are:

1. I could smell him—or rather the booze on his breath—before he even opened the door, but my sense of smell is pretty good, probably better than yours.
2. Small trees had attacked my parents' house at the foundation.

and my replacements are:

1. “Are you going to wear white?” Sherry Carter asked.
2. One night when I was seven I watched a man die.

Thanks collectorkerri for the VBB :)
Profile Image
Keeta1,

Your first choice, "I could smell..." is in my possession. PM me with your address, and I'll mail it to you. Thanks!
Profile Image
You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.
Turned to be : Still Missing by Chevy Stevens

I'm not the pretty sister.
Turned to be : Very Valentine by Adriana Trigani

"Just behave."
This one is Fade Away by Harlan Coben

As a matter of fact there were all collectorkerri's so I received a big box from U.S.A. ( 4 books in fact with my wishbook from keeta's sweepstake.)

Thank you very much !
Profile Image
I am picking one book this time:

9. Everything would have been different if the stranger hadn't come into our midst.

and replacing with

A green and yellow parrot, which hung in a cage outside the door, kept repeating over and over:
"Allez vous-en! Allez vous-en! Sapristi! That's all right!"
Profile Image
I am picking one book this time:

9. Everything would have been different if the stranger hadn't come into our midst.

This one is mine; I already have your address, so the book will be on its way to you shortly. :)

Edited to say I have mailed it today. Enjoy!! :)
Profile Image

My choice

I'm taking out:

2. My first sight of England was on a foggy March night in 1973 when I arrived on the midnight ferry from Calais.

and I'm putting in:

"It wasn't every day a middle-aged woman wearing a neat bun and a purple polyester suit directed you to lift your skirt."

Thank you collectorkerri!
Profile Image

My turn!:)

I'll pick:

13. Some towns inspire.

and replace it with

"On a rainy night in December 1982, a retired New England professor of anthropology named Charles Hapgood stepped off the pavement without looking left and was hit by an oncoming car."

Thank you for running this VBB!:)
Profile Image
Not at all. I'll add you to the end of the list.
Profile Image

My turn

I will take out please:
3. In the middle of nowhere, a whirlwind spins like a sorceress flinging out her skirts in a macabre dance; yet not even this hysteria serves to blow the dust off the calcified palm trees thrust against the sky like beseeching arms.
and
14.When the lights went off the accompanist kissed her.

(I put 14 in in the last round, taking it out as it's not been chosen.)

Putting in:
Bells.
and
She sits, this odd trophy of war, as neat as an obedient child, on a small stool in the corner of her cell.

Thanks very much for organising this again, collectorkerri!
Profile Image
"I believe in ghosts" turned out to be:

"Orphan Train", by Christina Baker Kline
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13448350/

Quite intriguing; I am looking forward to reading it! :)
And thanks for the lovely heart-decorated envelope, which made me smile.
Profile Image
I could smell him—or rather the booze on his breath—before he even opened the door, but my sense of smell is pretty good, probably better than yours.

This is "Dog On It" by Spencer Quinn and looks to be a fun read.
Profile Image
Thank you very much, Icila!

The book is "Travels with Boogie" by Mark Wallington

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13613770

Profile Image
"Everything would have been different if the stranger hadn't come into our midst." turns out o be Sleep, My Love by Elizabeth Norman. It looks like a nice thrill.

https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14821245

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.