corner corner First Sentences Virtual Bookbox-Round 14 OPEN

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

First Sentences Virtual Bookbox-Round 14 OPEN

The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 13 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 14.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/539165

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc etc etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a
good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 14 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Participant order:
Icila
Clairby11xxx--LIST IS HERE
jlautner
Bookworm-lady
keeta1
mcsar
sedna5213
Mankyi
greenbadger
BooksNBeer
Meekachu07
bookworm76
chawoso
Bluezwuzl
Soozreader
lilith89
rhythmbiscuit
Tsjara
mysteriousmummy
kizmiaz
Delphi_Reader

Complete Thread

Profile Image

The First Sentences Virtual Bookbox is on the last few people for round 13 before it comes back to me, so I've started a new thread for round 14.

For a refresher, here's a link to the previous thread:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/539165

Here's how it works (thanks to wubbaducky, who originally dreamed up the idea of this VBB, for most of the text):

I'll PM the list to participant 1, who picks their choices and replaces them with their own. They'll PM the list back to me. I'll make a note of which books have been added by participant 1 and then PM the list to participant 2, who'll pick their choices and replace and PM back to me the updated list. Etc etc etc. So I'll be keeping tabs on who's contributed what and who's chosen what.

The catch is, you DON'T put down book titles, authors or genres. All you put on the email is the First Sentence of the book. So, for example, if books I was including on the list were Pride and Prejudice, Moby Dick and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone, the virtual list would read:

1. It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a
good fortune must be in want of a wife.

2. Call me Ishmael.

3. Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.

Then you would email me back saying you were taking out numbers 1 and 3 and replacing them with:

4. First sentence of new book

5. First sentence of other new book

Whenever the list comes back to me, I'll then PM you with the first sentence(s) you chose and the screen name(s) of the person who owns the book(s). You will then need to PM them to ask them for that first sentence book.

Please don't tell the recipient what the book is before they receive it- it's all meant to be a mysterious surprise...

Please PM me back the list ASAP- it shouldn't take you more than two weeks to make your choices and replace them and PM me back with the updates.

There should always be 14 books in the virtual bookbox. If you take out five, please replace with five, etc.

Genre doesn't matter so long as the first sentence is interesting (you define interesting). No author's notes/acknowledgements, please. Just the first sentence of the book. I will make one exception in this case: if a book has a prologue, you may choose between the prologue's first sentence and the first chapter's first sentence.

Please update this thread with the first sentence(s) you've chosen to take out and later, please let us know what book(s) they turned out to belong to- we all want to share in your fun too! And of course, don't forget to journal the books themselves later...

Please mail your books out to the people who have chosen your books as quickly as possible- within a month is preferable.

You must be willing to mail internationally, as this is an international bookbox and I can't guarantee who's going to choose your contributions.

You are responsible for contacting the person who owns your first sentence book(s).

Please post here if you are interested. No PMs, please.

Participant order:
Icila
Clairby11xxx--LIST IS HERE
jlautner
Bookworm-lady
keeta1
mcsar
sedna5213
Mankyi
greenbadger
BooksNBeer
Meekachu07
bookworm76
chawoso
Bluezwuzl
Soozreader
lilith89
rhythmbiscuit
Tsjara
mysteriousmummy
kizmiaz
Delphi_Reader
Profile Image
I'm in again.
Profile Image
I'm in, I'll have more time to make a choice now I'm not wedding planning!
Profile Image
Count me in again... :)
Profile Image
Thanks for the reminder.
Profile Image
Please add me.
Profile Image

In again!

Thanks a lot for the reminder!
Profile Image
Thanks for the PM. I have moved some suitable books to the top of TBR. :)
Profile Image
Truly enjoy this box
Profile Image
I am in again.
Profile Image

Oh yes!

Please add me, too.
Thanks for the reminding PM!
Profile Image
Thank you for the PM!:)
Profile Image

Yey!

I would love too, but I am still having trouble... Is there a pm thing on this webbsite cuz I can not find one 😥
Profile Image

PM

Lilith89,

I sent you a PM with instructions for finding the PM link. I hope it helps you.
Profile Image
I'm in for this round! Thanks.
Profile Image
Hope you got my PM
Profile Image
Hope you got my PM

Yes I did.
Profile Image

Yes please

Thanks for the reminder :)
Profile Image
Thanks for the PM
Profile Image

can I?

Haven't done one of these in a while.
Profile Image
I see you mentioned no PMs, so not sure what all those PMs are about.... Do you need some seed books from everyone to get this started? If so, how many? When does this start?
Sorry, newbie here, too many questions!
Profile Image
No seed books needed. I originally started with 10 books, but over the years a few people have thrown in extras, hence the 14 we have now. You just need to find as many books as sentences you choose when it's your turn.

We start tonight, after I make my choices and replacements.
Profile Image
Thanks for adding me!
Profile Image
Thanks for the help with understanding how the PM works :D I want to join again, it has been great fun! thank you for organizing this <3
Profile Image
Just a note ... I see my name twice in the list ^^ : *
Profile Image
I'm picking out :

10. You know, Doc, you're not the first shrink I've seen since I got back.
11. I'm not the pretty sister.
13. "Just behave."

I replace them with :
- On the morning Vera died I woke up very early.
- Ann can feel the acid churning in her stomach and creeping up her throat; her head is swimming.
- Some towns inspire.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.