corner corner LATEST ROUND COMPLETE: Mary Zee's Biographies of Things BookBox

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

LATEST ROUND COMPLETE: Mary Zee's Biographies of Things BookBox

Hi All

I have been meaning to post a thread for a while, but am buried at work. The box is back with me and I am getting read to start the next round. I will double-check previous posts to figure out who wanted to participate, although you are welcome to remind me here. Feel free to also chime in as to where you want to be in the distribution chain.

Link to MaryZee's original thread, with info on the nature of the BookBox The link to her original thread is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/465947

PARTICIPANTS (order can be changed upon request):
quietorchid (MN)
Bulan-Purnama (OR)
faramir10 (TX)
Readertoo (TX)
hypen8 (HI)
Gory Details (NH) [moved up at her request]
Katiesmama (FL)
Azuki (FL)
Elizardbreath (AR)
NancyNova (PA)
Freezone (MA)
eponine38 (MA)
and back to me, 6of8 (MD) <---------- box is here 7/20/2016

ORIGINAL CONTENTS OF BOX, CURRENT ROUND:
How Carrots Won the Trojan War, by Rebecca Rupp
Imponderables, by David Feldman [the book that launched a dozen more]
The Art of Kissing, by Hugh Morris
Longitude, by Dava Sobel
Famous Letters, by Author Unknown
The History of Money, by Jack Weatherford
The Chair, by Galen Cranz
Hometown, by Tracy Kidder
Fast Food Nation, by Eric Schlosser
Heave Ho: My Little Green Book of Seasickness, by Charles Mazel
A Brief History of Philosophy, by Derek Johnston
Consider the Fork, by Bee Wilson
The Shelf: From LEQ to LES, Adventures in Extreme Reading, by Phyllis Rose
The Hope Diamond, by Richard Kurin
The Big Necessity, by Rose George
Beethoven's Hair, by Russell Martin
Krakatoa, by Simon Winchester
A Natural History of the Senses, by Diane Ackerman
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot
Isaac's Storm, by Erik Larson
The Secret Life of Sharks, by A. Peter Klimley

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi All

I have been meaning to post a thread for a while, but am buried at work. The box is back with me and I am getting read to start the next round. I will double-check previous posts to figure out who wanted to participate, although you are welcome to remind me here. Feel free to also chime in as to where you want to be in the distribution chain.

Link to MaryZee's original thread, with info on the nature of the BookBox The link to her original thread is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/465947

PARTICIPANTS (order can be changed upon request):
quietorchid (MN)
Bulan-Purnama (OR)
faramir10 (TX)
Readertoo (TX)
hypen8 (HI)
Gory Details (NH) [moved up at her request]
Katiesmama (FL)
Azuki (FL)
Elizardbreath (AR)
NancyNova (PA)
Freezone (MA)
eponine38 (MA)
and back to me, 6of8 (MD) <---------- box is here 7/20/2016

ORIGINAL CONTENTS OF BOX, CURRENT ROUND:
How Carrots Won the Trojan War, by Rebecca Rupp
Imponderables, by David Feldman [the book that launched a dozen more]
Longitude, by Dava Sobel
Famous Letters, by Author Unknown
Heave Ho: My Little Green Book of Seasickness, by Charles Mazel
A Brief History of Philosophy, by Derek Johnston
Consider the Fork, by Bee Wilson
Beethoven's Hair, by Russell Martin
Krakatoa, by Simon Winchester
A Natural History of the Senses, by Diane Ackerman
The Secret Life of Sharks, by A. Peter Klimley
Profile Image
I'm in! But as it seems that several of my books made it back in the last box, perhaps I shouldn't be at the beginning of the list - unless you claim most of 'em to read, of course! (Somewhere in the middle would be good.)
Profile Image
With being away for a few days at the end of this month, it would probably be best not to put me right at the top. I wouldn't want to hold the box up. Thank you for doing this! I loved bookcrossing with MaryZee and it's so good to remember her.
Profile Image
I am currently studying for a test so I have to focus my reading on related material. I would appreciate if I am further down the list to give me time to read up more books. Likely somewhere in the middle is okay enough, just not the next three month. Thanks.
Profile Image
Somewhere around the middle would be great.

Thanks!
Profile Image

Oh, goody!

Although now I need to get cracking on my "things" reading...
Profile Image
to your bookbox, thanks.
Profile Image
now to take a look around the availables to set aside ones that fit
Profile Image
Just letting you know. Thanks.
Profile Image
I stole a few minutes from my end-of-the-fiscal-year madness to arrange an order that hopefully makes some sort of sense. Or not. Who knows? Brain is fried. List is in the parent thread.

Let me know if you wish to have your position changed. Ideally, hang onto the box for no longer than 2 weeks.

Please ALWAYS get tracking number and post it here when you ship the box (spoken as one who has forgotten to do so and had the book box get lost in shipping).

Box will go in the mail to quietorchid on Monday.
Profile Image
Mailed the box out today. Not quite 21 pounds and not quite $13 for media mail.

Tracking #9549010423165264163069.

Expected delivery date is next Monday, 9/28.
Profile Image
I'll send you a PM - if possible I'd love to move down at least a couple of slots.

If not, I'll just need to read fast & be very selective!
Profile Image
How about I bump you down to be after Readertoo? That should give you a bit longer.

Unless I hear complaints or requests from anyone else, we can consider that done. I will try to get the main thread changed both here and in the journal for the box.
Profile Image
How about I bump you down to be after Readertoo? That should give you a bit longer.

Unless I hear complaints or requests from anyone else, we can consider that done. I will try to get the main thread changed both here and in the journal for the box.

Sounds good, thanks. Also thanks for the list of books - I have two of them on my TBR stack so those will get pushed back in favor of others that are more likely NOT to be in the box when it arrives.
Profile Image
I was getting quite concerned. It's 10/2, and the box still wasn't here. Somehow it's been sent to Bell Gardens CA
https://tools.usps.com/---/TrackConfirmAction?...

That well known 'Huh????' station....

At least we know where it is....
Profile Image
It sure is taking the scenic route, going from here to North Carolina for processing first?! I can't understand how or why it went to California (other than a rumor that the beaches were nicer than those in Minnesota). I was planning on checking up on the darn thing today -- thanks for keeping on top of it!
Profile Image
After a 5 day rest in CA, the box is reported by USPS to have arrived in St. Paul this morning. So maybe it will show up on Monday. It sure wouldn't get through road closures (weekend highway construction) and the TC Marathon for delivery today, even if USPS did deliver on Sundays.
Profile Image
Sorry to be so OCD about it, but this box spooks me a little when something goes awry. Guess It's that Halloween flavor.....
Profile Image
Sorry to be so OCD about it, but this box spooks me a little when something goes awry. Guess It's that Halloween flavor.....

Hey, enough boxes have gone missing that it's always good news to hear of one that made it safely!
Profile Image
Sent off to Oregon today, expected arrival 10/29.
tracking 9549 0112 0476 5296 5494 31
Profile Image
Book box is here in Oregon arrived today. This is a big box, will contact the next person.
Profile Image
Please add me again! I'm in Arkansas.
Profile Image
Done. I tried to add you in a logical spot geographically. Hopefully that will work for everyone.
Profile Image
Mailed the book box today (Monday) to faramir10 (TX).

Tracking # 9549 0112 4033 5313 3445 34 . I replaced the falling apart box with a sturdy one.
Profile Image
Mailed the book box today (Monday) to faramir10 (TX).

Tracking # 9549 0112 4033 5313 3445 34 . I replaced the falling apart box with a sturdy one.

Do you know how much the box weighs now? If it's too large, I may need to think about opting out. :s
Profile Image
The box is medium size and it is 18 pounds.
Profile Image
The box is medium size and it is 18 pounds.

Ok, thanks. Should be ok if it doesn't get too much bigger! I just need to read faster... :)
Profile Image
I received the Biography of things book box a couple of weeks ago. Am a bit slow in responding as I just had surgery and have been recovering. I will try to get the box ready to mail by Monday. Will need to get hyphen8's address in the meantime. I found 3 books I would like to take out but will need to go through my stash to see if I have enough to replace them.
Profile Image
Feel free to hang onto the box a little longer. And try to feel better.
Profile Image
As I looked through my stash I realized I didn't really have any books that fit this category that I could include in the box other than some audio books so I didn't take any out. I mailed the package off to hyphen8 in Hawaii last week. Hopefully it won't take too long to arrive.
Profile Image
Currently weighs 18 lbs. Happy to see the Space Shuttle ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12066669 ) again.
Profile Image
Wow, 18 pounds! Did it weight that much when I sent it off? I don't remember.

Glad to hear the box has arrived safely in Hawaii, where maybe it can get a tan, sit on the beach, sip a pina colada, etc., while you decide what to put in and what to take out. Makes me a little jealous, since I am still dodging snow piles from our blizzard on my way to work.

Please note that, at her request, I have moved GoryDetails up the list and she would be the next stop for this box when you are finished.
Profile Image
Makes me a little jealous, since I am still dodging snow piles from our blizzard on my way to work.

Sorry about that. The last I heard from allysther (also in Silver Spring) was that they got 28" and her son had 4 snow days.

Please note that, at her request, I have moved GoryDetails up the list and she would be the next stop for this box when you are finished.

Ok, I'm shooting for sending out the box some time next week.

----------------------

Of the books that started this round, these are still in the box:

Imponderables, by David Feldman

Plus the Space Shuttle postcards and 11 other books.

Profile Image
BUT...media mail can take 3 weeks or longer (or occasionally less). YMMV.

USPS tracking: 9549 0104 3303 6032 6852 67
ETA 2/22
Profile Image
Just one day over the USPS estimate, which I suppose is pretty good for a trip all the way from Hawaii! I've contacted azuki for an address, and hope to be able to move the box along soon - though there are some very tempting books in there, and I may have some trouble making choices, depending on how many of my own books are still in the box {wry grin}. [More info on the box's contents are in the journal ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12066669 ).]
Profile Image
After a request for a delay from azuki, who'll be out of town for a bit, and after checking with 6of8, I've sent the box to katiesmama, with azuki now following her in the mailing order. Hope the box travels safely, and that everyone enjoys the selection as much as I did!
Profile Image
I'll send Azuki a PM and will try and have this travelling again Saturday. Otherwise, it'll be a week from Saturday, but no later than that. Thanks, all!
Profile Image
Don't rush any more than you have to -- take the time to enjoy the box and the books!

Thanks for letting us know it arrived safely.
Profile Image
If there is ever another round, I'd love to be in it again. I could have taken so many more, but didn't have the required number to fill it back up with, so I limited myself to two: I chose On Paper by Nicholas Basbanes and The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester. I won't list what I put in so as not to ruin the surprise. The box is on its way to Azuki today, tracking number 9549 0144 0326 6072 0271 62. Thank you again, 6of8 for sending this box out travelling!!! (And according to USPS, the box weighs in at a lovely 22 lbs, 15.6oz haha)
Profile Image
Okay. Who is feeding the box Chocolate? now 22 lbs?
Profile Image
Okay. Who is feeding the box Chocolate? now 22 lbs?

Well, it was just shy of 23 lbs when I mailed it, but Gory took out the heaviest of the ones I put in, so I won't take *all* the responsibility. For me at least, books are like general "stuff" and tend to expand to fill the available space.

I'll have to look for a book about chocolate for the next round. :P
Profile Image
Ha ha my hubby did it again. We were in the garage and it just somehow felt that there was an extra box sitting on the floor. So I asked him, is this box new? And he was like, oh yeah, we got it a few days ago, I forgot to mention that...

It has happened a few times, I've learned to scan the garage, trying to spot any box that doesn't quite look like it belongs.

So, box has arrived. I have guests staying at my house now so this weekend when they leave, I'll be diving in! Hopefully by then there is still some chocolate left in the box. lol
Profile Image
Maybe I should have taken the Candy Freak book out. That's probably why the box is gaining weight. It's now 25 lbs!! O_O
Profile Image
I took note of the above and specifically read thin, paperback books. I'll see how much it dieted down to when I weigh it at the post office.

Lots of good ones in here.
Profile Image
It's now down to 21 lbs, despite the Candy book still lurking inside.

Tracking # 9549013918126154135515
Profile Image
the box arrived yesterday! so many amazing books. looking to see how many I can take out, which depends on the number of appropriate replacement books I can find lurking around my bookshelves.
Profile Image
I'm a bit sad to hear that the shuttles ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12066669 ) aren't traveling with the box any more. Anyone know where they ran off to?
Profile Image
no, they are still there. However, I didn't know they were registered in Bookcrossing. It's a very adorable tracking book! I'll post on the bookcrossing site for that book, too.
Profile Image
no, they are still there. However, I didn't know they were registered in Bookcrossing. It's a very adorable tracking book! I'll post on the bookcrossing site for that book, too.

Good to know, thanks. Azuki said something about not seeing it in the box, so I was concerned. It definitely had a BCID at one time...
Profile Image

Good to know, thanks. Azuki said something about not seeing it in the box, so I was concerned. It definitely had a BCID at one time...

Good. I don't know where it hid, because I couldn't find it!

So does it mean the next round is coming soon?
Profile Image
oops, I can't journal it without its BCID. I'll take a look again....
Profile Image
Ay chance that this book box can make it to one of our BCinDC meetups when it returns to you ...and before it goes out again. If so, I'll try to look for appropriate books.
Profile Image
Since you have expressed an interest, Squeaky, I can arrange to bring the book box to a meet-up. I know Melydia sometimes enjoys this book box too.
Profile Image
Since you have expressed an interest, Squeaky, I can arrange to bring the book box to a meet-up. I know Melydia sometimes enjoys this book box too.

Great! I'll start saving some books for the box. What a nice way to celebrate MaryZee's life and remember her!

ETA: This is a hard category, but I did find one appropriate book which I'll save for the box when I see it. I'll also be on the lookout for more when I visit my local Little Free Libraries! :D
Profile Image
So sorry for the long delay. 6of8 was kind enough to grant me an extension, but I'm still way behind schedule. My apologies.

Removing:
Mr. Wilson’s Cabinet of Wonder http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13434875
Dancing on the Grave: Encounters with Death http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13724236/
Latitude Zero: Tales of the Equator http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10170362/
Consider the Eel: A Natural and Gastronomic History http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10206613/
The Big Necessity http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13434868/

Adding:
Jello: A Biography http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14104704/
Rat: How the World’s Most Notorious Rodent Clawed its Way to the Top http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14104666/
The World in a Phrase: A History of Aphorisms http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14104657/
The History of the Snowman http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14104717/
A Brief History of Tea http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12315876/
The Story of the Space Shuttle http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14066074/
Profile Image
Tracking #9549012445326195005088

Thanks again for your patience!
Profile Image

Box is home

I probably won't get a chance to open it and go through it for a day or two, but it has arrived.
Profile Image
Look forward to the next. After a break, of course.
Profile Image
I'd love to join in for this one again.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.