corner corner [CLOSED] ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version - Books Beginning with the Letter H

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

[CLOSED] ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version - Books Beginning with the Letter H

Here's how it works:

I'll start the ring out by posting 2 books whose title starts with the letter H to the first person on the list. Articles (a, an, or the) don't count -- look to the next word. So, for example, "A Streetcar Named Desire" would be considered an S-book. "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a T-book.

So, I send the package with 2 H-books to the first person on the list. That person takes *one* book out & replaces it with another H-book, & then sends those 2 to the next person. And so on.

You post in the forum:

1. when the books arrive
2. what book you chose
3. when you mail the books to the next person.

That way we all know where the books are. The last person on the list sends the books to me.

Don't post the title of the book you *don't* take, or your new addition -- let that be a surprise. Only post the title you are taking out. Oh, & please journal the book you take out promptly.

I think that we should all be able to mail this back out within a week to 10 days. After all, all we're doing is replacing one book.

If by some chance, you just don't like or you've already read one round's offerings, you can either opt to skip your turn & mail the books on without taking one. Or you could consider it an opportunity for a wild release, & just take one out for that purpose (replacing it with one of your own). Your choice.

I think that's everything. Anyone want to play? :-)

~~~

The Players (names will be shuffled between each round):

mrsjones
quickheels
BooksnBeer
Aberpeter
NancyNova
tabby-cat-owner
BooksandMusic
booklady331
Southernfryed
perryfran
Stephario
LynnGorman
jmsmom
Ollie1976
heartthumper
raralovestoread
Meekachu07
Dove-i-libri
Agrace - skipped
innae
ravencat
katiesmama
mngirl
me

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Here's how it works:

I'll start the ring out by posting 2 books whose title starts with the letter H to the first person on the list. Articles (a, an, or the) don't count -- look to the next word. So, for example, "A Streetcar Named Desire" would be considered an S-book. "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a T-book.

So, I send the package with 2 H-books to the first person on the list. That person takes *one* book out & replaces it with another H-book, & then sends those 2 to the next person. And so on.

You post in the forum:

1. when the books arrive
2. what book you chose
3. when you mail the books to the next person.

That way we all know where the books are. The last person on the list sends the books to me.

Don't post the title of the book you *don't* take, or your new addition -- let that be a surprise. Only post the title you are taking out. Oh, & please journal the book you take out promptly.

I think that we should all be able to mail this back out within a week to 10 days. After all, all we're doing is replacing one book.

If by some chance, you just don't like or you've already read one round's offerings, you can either opt to skip your turn & mail the books on without taking one. Or you could consider it an opportunity for a wild release, & just take one out for that purpose (replacing it with one of your own). Your choice.

I think that's everything. Anyone want to play? :-)

~~~

The Players (names will be shuffled between each round):

mrsjones
quickheels
BooksnBeer
Aberpeter
NancyNova
tabby-cat-owner
BooksandMusic
booklady331
Southernfryed
perryfran
Stephario
LynnGorman
jmsmom
Ollie1976
heartthumper
raralovestoread
Meekachu07
Dove-i-libri
Agrace - skipped
innae
ravencat
katiesmama
mngirl
me
Profile Image
PM'ing you now!

Profile Image
This was an easy choice for me. I chose: Homer's Odyssey. It looks right up my alley. Will PM quickheels for an address. Thanks!
Profile Image

Mailed

Books are on their way to quickheels. Happy holidays!
Profile Image
Thanks, mrsjones!

Profile Image
Books arrived in the mail today. Haven't opened yet but will be ready to mail on in a couple of days.
Profile Image
I will choose the Horse You Came In On by Martha Grimes. I haven't read anything by this Author. Also, I couldn't resist a mystery set in a area nearby that I am familiar with.

I have PMed the next person on the list as soon as I receive an address I'll pop the package back into the mail.
Profile Image
... to please journal the book you choose to keep promptly. Thanks!

Profile Image
Soon....I have the next address and I will get this into the mail this week.
Profile Image
So very sorry, things have been very crazy here and I didn't journal properly yet. I chose The Horse Whisper.
Profile Image
This package went into the mail yesterday (1/13). Enjoy!!
Profile Image
Thanks, BooksnBeer!

Profile Image
and I'm choosing Hiroshima by John Hersey
Profile Image
and forgot the post office would be closed due to the holiday. I will try again tomorrow.
Profile Image
Thanks, Aberpeter!

Profile Image
since it isn't a holiday today I was able to mail the books :)
Profile Image
and I almost mistook them for a wishlist tag grant!

Keeping Home for the Holidays (and taking it off my wishlist). Edited to add: not on my wishtlist - already read it, but that's OK. I'll push it to the bottom of the stash and read it again.

I update with tracking when I get the parcel to the post office.
Profile Image
Tracking # 9549011043235031407834
Profile Image
Thanks, NancyNova!

Profile Image
My choice is 'Honeymoon with my brother', a memoir by Franz Wisner
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5674836/

I will be contacting the next person on the list for address momentarily.
Profile Image
Thanks for organizing these bookrings, Iwillrejoice.
Profile Image
Thanks for organizing these bookrings, Iwillrejoice.

Thanks, tabby-cat-owner. Glad you're enjoying them. I like hosting these. :-)

Profile Image
I will make my choice within a few days
Profile Image
Hard Laughter by Anne Lamott

although I did read the other selection while it was here and enjoyed it.

Book is ready to move again. Hope to mail it tomorrow.
Profile Image
Thanks, BooksandMusic!

Profile Image

Mailed

The books are on the way to booklady331.
Profile Image
Thanks, BooksandMusic!

Profile Image
I picked
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13097266

I am adding
Higher Authority by Stephen White
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6512796
Profile Image
I'm pming perryfran for address. Will make my selection and get them in the mail later this week.
Profile Image
choosing Howl at the Moon by Christiine Warren to pass along to my niece. Packaging up the H books and will get them moving again soon.
Profile Image
I went to the post office today.
Profile Image
Thanks, Southernfryed!

Profile Image
Received the books. I will select "Higher Authority" by Stephen White.

Sending a PM to Stephario. As soon as I get an address, I will send the books on...

Edit: Received Stephario's address and will get these in the mail tomorrow. :-)

USPS # 9549011127095076500331

Edit: Delivered 3/23 per USPS:
https://tools.usps.com/---/TrackConfirmAction?...
Profile Image
Thanks, perryfran!

Profile Image
And I select The House on the Hill, by Judith Kelman. I just need to PM the next on the list and find an H book in my possession I'm willing to part with. Then I'll get these sent out.
Profile Image
Mr. Stephario mailed the H books to LynnGorman this morning. Tracking # 9114999944314349467286 via USPS.
Profile Image
Thanks, Stephario!

Profile Image
and I will be picking "Hannah's Hope" by Karen Kingsbury. She is one of my favorite authors so I was thrilled to find one of her books in the package!! I am pming the next in line.
Profile Image

"H" books

were mailed yesterday. Sorry, I forgot to post. I can post the tracking # if needed.
Profile Image
Thanks, LynnGorman! Tracking number is up to you - not required. :-)

Profile Image
I chose Heaven is for Real and the ring was sent on today.

https://tools.usps.com/---/TrackConfirmAction?...
Profile Image
Thanks, jmsmom!

Profile Image
Will be PMing the next in line. Taking The Help
Profile Image
this was mailed out earlier this week
Profile Image
Thanks, Ollie1976!

Profile Image
Haunted Houses by Nancy Roberts. I just won't read it when I'm home alone! Sending PM to next in line.
Profile Image
Tracking #9449010200828604397679
Profile Image
Thanks, heartthumper!

Profile Image
I have chosen The Honk and Holler Opening Soon by Billie Letts. I've actually already read this book, but I love Billie Letts's writing and would love to read it again. Sending a PM to the next person.
Profile Image
Thanks, raralovestoread!

Profile Image
These just arrived. I will look at them and make my decision tonight....PMing next in line and will mail them off after the holiday
Profile Image
Its not really in my wheelhouse, but I might give it a shot...its "Here On Earth" by Alice Hoffman
Profile Image
Packaged and ready to go....tracking is 9449009699938480782408
Profile Image
Thanks, Meekachu07!

Profile Image
I'm sending the PM right now to 'mngirl' for their address so I can send out the package on Thursday!!!
Profile Image
Just sent another PM to 'mngirl' for their address so I can send them out on Thursday!!!
Profile Image
Next day we'll be able to get to the PO will be Sat if the address comes now. Just sent a new PM.
Profile Image
Well, maybe she's on vacation (or something). I'd say, if you don't hear back soon, just move on to the next person. If she gets back in touch, we can always move her down the list.

Thanks!

Profile Image
If no response by then, I'll send a PM to Agrace, who's next.
Profile Image
And, PLEEEEEZE, don't everyone put in 'Q is for Quarry.' OK?
Profile Image
Heh - I have a different book than the one you mentioned for Q, but had thought I might just skip X. In looking thru my own stash, that's the only letter I don't have, & I sure don't have 2 of them.

We could just allow those letters to be somewhere in the title, rather than first. What do you all think?

Profile Image
I like the idea of having the letters somewhere in the title.
Profile Image
I have a Q book. I was wondering about putting Q, and X together and maybe Y & Z. Just choose to replace one.
Profile Image
... look for more difficult letters! You just let us know what's decided and I will follow along!
Profile Image
That's Agrace, so I 'll let you know when they're on their way!
Profile Image
... innae ... I'll let you know what their response is!!!

Here is Agrace's response:

Hello Dove-i-libri,
I am sorry I have been so hit-and miss on this, but please, pass me by again.
Agrace
Profile Image
... innae ... I'll let you know what their response is!!!

Here is Agrace's response:

Hello Dove-i-libri,
I am sorry I have been so hit-and miss on this, but please, pass me by again.
Agrace

OK, thanks, Dove-i-libri. Thanks for letting me know!

Profile Image
Sending a new PM today, and will see what happens.
Profile Image
Oh, no! (Is there a full moon?)

Profile Image
She sent me a response yesterday and was worried I had sent the books to someone else, but I let her know I still have them, and will send them to her on Saturday.
Profile Image
Thanks, Dove-i-libri!

Profile Image
but I'm afraid it's going to be my turn while I'm away for 10 days. So I'm going to PM my address to Ravencat so that if it's ready to move while I'm away, I won't hold it up. I have my book ready, so I'll have this back to Iwillrejoice on the 25th of this month.
Profile Image
Thanks, katiesmama! I appreciate it!

Profile Image

YAY!!

The books arrived in Colorado this past week sometime (sorry, I really NEED to check my mail more often) -- I will make my choice and get them sent out soon!!

Profile Image
Books arrived today and I have chose Hold Tight the Thread by Jane Kirkpatrick. I have katiesmama address and books will be on their way by Friday.
Profile Image
The M-ring will be starting soon! Just sayin'...

Also, check out our new ABC Authors ring, starting August 1!
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/520991

Profile Image
and mailed to katiesmama today via USPS tracking number 9114 9999 4431 4695 3910 13.
Profile Image
mngirl - no response

I never received a request for my address. I check my email several times a day. I am still interested. Can you add me back?
Profile Image
mngirl - no response

I never received a request for my address. I check my email several times a day. I am still interested. Can you add me back?

OK. I'll just add you after katiesmama.

Profile Image
I expect I'll be receiving the books within the next couple of days. Iwillrejoice, I'd be happy to send them to Mngirl if you want. Or I can mail them to you if you'd rather send them. I still have your address and will PM mngirl for hers just in case that's what you want to do.
Profile Image
I expect I'll be receiving the books within the next couple of days. Iwillrejoice, I'd be happy to send them to Mngirl if you want.

That would be great. Thanks!

Profile Image
Thank you! I got your PM and PMed you back with my address.
Profile Image
And a note in my mailbox telling me I have a package at the office to pick up tomorrow night on my way home:). It has to be the H books. I have my book already sitting here on my desk ready to be packaged up with the other, so these will be on the way Saturday.
Profile Image
I chose How to be Good by Nick Hornby. I had already read the other H book, so like I said, easy choice:). I'm pretty sure I've read a couple of his non-fiction books, but this will be the first fiction book of his I've read. I'm adding my book and will have these in the mail to mngirl on Saturday.
Profile Image
Thanks, katiesmama!

Profile Image
tracking #9114 9999 4431 4477 0078 11, sent media mail
Profile Image
Will make my choice and get books in mail within a few days.
Profile Image
Will make my choice and get books in mail within a few days.

So, what did you pick? :-)

Profile Image
Sorry it took so long. Been sick.

I chose Hearts of Sand.

Dropped books at post office a half hour ago. Tracking is
9549 0111 3257 5225 4542 86
Profile Image
Sorry it took so long. Been sick.

I chose Hearts of Sand.

Dropped books at post office a half hour ago. Tracking is
9549 0111 3257 5225 4542 86

Thanks, mngirl! Feel better!

Profile Image
I received The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans & The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Thanks for sharing, everybody!

This concludes the H-ring. I'll be starting the M-ring in a few. See you there!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.