corner corner [CLOSED] ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version - Books Beginning with the Letter A

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

[CLOSED] ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version - Books Beginning with the Letter A

I recently had the chance to take part in rodespringbal's "Bookring Starting with the Letter C" book ring, & I thought it was fun! But international shipping has gotten so expensive these days. I know, in the US at least, that it increased by 60 per cent in January - a huge jump!

So, I wondered if there would be any interest in a US version of this fun ring? I've PM'd rodespringbal about it, & she doesn't mind. So, what do you think?

Here's how it would work:

I would start the ring out by posting 2 books whose title starts with the letter A to the first person. Articles (a, an, or the) don't count -- look to the next word. So, for example, "A Streetcar Named Desire" would be considered an S book. "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a T book. We'll do the A's in the first round, then the B's, & so on, as long as there's interest.

So, I send the package with 2 A books to the first person on the list. That person takes *one* book out & replaces it with another A book, & then sends those 2 to the next person. And so on.

You post in the forum:

1. when the books arrive
2. what book you choose
3. when you mail the books to the next person.

That way we all know where the books are. The last person on the list sends the books to me.

Don't post the title of the book you *don't* take, or your new addition -- let that be a surprise. Only post the title you are taking out. Oh, & please journal the book you take out promptly.

I think that we should all be able to mail this back out within a week to 10 days. After all, all we're doing is replacing one book.

If by some chance, you just don't like, or you've already read one round's offerings, you can either opt to skip your turn & mail the books on without taking one. Or you could consider it an opportunity for a wild release, & just take one out for that purpose (replacing it with one of your own). Your choice.

I think that's everything. Anyone want to play? :-)

~~~

The Players:

Meekachu07
Dove-i-libri
ravencat
BooksnBeer
booklady331
oliviapoolside
Ollie1976
heartthumper
Southernfryed
raralovestoread
Stephario
Akayume -- books stalled here
tabby-cat-owner -- new start
NancyNova
LynnGorman
Aberpeter
quickheels
me

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I recently had the chance to take part in rodespringbal's "Bookring Starting with the Letter C" book ring, & I thought it was fun! But international shipping has gotten so expensive these days. I know, in the US at least, that it increased by 60 per cent in January - a huge jump!

So, I wondered if there would be any interest in a US version of this fun ring? I've PM'd rodespringbal about it, & she doesn't mind. So, what do you think?

Here's how it would work:

I would start the ring out by posting 2 books whose title starts with the letter A to the first person. Articles (a, an, or the) don't count -- look to the next word. So, for example, "A Streetcar Named Desire" would be considered an S book. "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is a T book. We'll do the A's in the first round, then the B's, & so on, as long as there's interest.

So, I send the package with 2 A books to the first person on the list. That person takes *one* book out & replaces it with another A book, & then sends those 2 to the next person. And so on.

You post in the forum:

1. when the books arrive
2. what book you choose
3. when you mail the books to the next person.

That way we all know where the books are. The last person on the list sends the books to me.

Don't post the title of the book you *don't* take, or your new addition -- let that be a surprise. Only post the title you are taking out. Oh, & please journal the book you take out promptly.

I think that we should all be able to mail this back out within a week to 10 days. After all, all we're doing is replacing one book.

If by some chance, you just don't like, or you've already read one round's offerings, you can either opt to skip your turn & mail the books on without taking one. Or you could consider it an opportunity for a wild release, & just take one out for that purpose (replacing it with one of your own). Your choice.

I think that's everything. Anyone want to play? :-)

~~~

The Players:

Meekachu07
Dove-i-libri
ravencat
BooksnBeer
booklady331
oliviapoolside
Ollie1976
heartthumper
Southernfryed
raralovestoread
Stephario
Akayume -- books stalled here
tabby-cat-owner -- new start
NancyNova
LynnGorman
Aberpeter
quickheels
me

Profile Image

I'm in

Never done something like this before, so I'm definitely look forward to this...I'm in MN
Profile Image
Got ya! Thanks for joining. :-)

Profile Image
:)
Profile Image
Got you, too! Thanks! :-)

Profile Image
Yay! Thanks for joining!

Profile Image
Please add me.
Profile Image
Great! Welcome!

Profile Image
May I still join? Thanks!
Profile Image
Got ya! Thanks!

Profile Image
I've done this one before and it is fun.
Profile Image
Thanks for joining, booklady331!

Profile Image

Yes

please! I would like to play this game.
Profile Image
You're in, oliviapoolside. Thanks!

Profile Image
I'll PM Meekachu07 for his/her address.

I'll keep this open to new members, so if anyone else would like to join, just let me know. :-)

Profile Image
... & will go out in tomorrow's mail. Next stop, Meekachu07 in Minnesota!

Profile Image
I'd like to join in if new members are welcome. Thanks
Profile Image
Welcome, Ollie1976! You're in!

Profile Image

got it

I selected the book "Act of Terror" by Marc Cameron

Will message the next person to get their address to keep this moving along
Profile Image
Here is the DC 9449009699939856094507
Profile Image
Thanks Meekachu07!

Profile Image
Going to the Goodwill Book Store tomorrow and will find a book to add! Sending for Ravencat's address now, but I think I already have it!!!
Profile Image
You're in, heartthumper. Welcome!

Profile Image
Dead car. Will get it out soon.
Profile Image
OK, thanks for letting us know. :-)

Profile Image
before I can get to the post office. I know it's taking long, but I want to keep you up to date. I'm usually more reliable!
Profile Image
Just a note to say that I've heard from Dove-i-libri & the books are on the move. (Yay!) They were sent out on Friday the 18th. Be on the look-out! :-)

Profile Image
It's not too late. Welcome!

Profile Image
Letter A bookring now traveling to BooksNBeer. I have selected "And One To Die On" by Jane Haddam.
Profile Image
Letter A bookring now traveling to BooksNBeer. I have selected "And One To Die On" by Jane Haddam.

Thanks, ravencat!

Profile Image
I got my two "A" books yesterday. Very quick post delivery.

After some deliberation I choose:
Among Thieves by David Hosp

A boston Attorney who gets involved with the 1990 art heist at the Isabella Steward Gardiner Museum through a client. I remember this story, I just googled and the theft is still unsolved and a $5M reward is still open. Hummmmm....have to read this one soon.

Inserted my book - PMing next on the list.
Profile Image
Just put this in the mail to the next on the list. Sorry for the delay - I was on vacation last week. Enjoy!!
Profile Image
Thanks, BooksnBeer!

Profile Image
I was away for 8 days and it was delivered today. I will find a book and send it off.

I will keep And Thereby Hangs a Tale by Jeffrey Archer
Profile Image
get to the PO this week.
Profile Image
Got you down -- Welcome!

Profile Image
I am selecting Archangel by Robert Harris and will mail the two books to the next in line, tomorrow hopefully.
Profile Image
Great! Thanks, oliviapoolside!

Profile Image
I will look for one now! LOL!
Profile Image
:-)

The A-books are on their way to Ollie1976 (I think), & then there are 3 more plus me... 6 weeks maybe? Time to get reading!

Profile Image
and will be PMing the next on the list
Profile Image
... & I think I'm going to shuffle the names of the players between each round. That way, if you didn't like what you got one round, you'll receive from someone different the next time.

Thoughts?

Profile Image
sounds fair
Profile Image
Well, there's only 11 of us, so I thought we'd do it that way. If the list of players gets longer, we can re-visit that.

Unless you all think it would be more fun to start the next letter going sooner. I'm ready to go with the B's.

Profile Image
sounds fine to me. Anytime for B.
Profile Image
to heartthumper this morning. I took out The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold. I'm up for B to start.
Profile Image
Thanks, Ollie1976!

Profile Image
...may I go ahead and join A round before it finishes? As I said in the other thread, this whole concept looks like a lot more fun now that I'm not digging through piles to find my books anymore. :)
Profile Image
...may I go ahead and join A round before it finishes?

You're in! Welcome!

Profile Image
I chose Arcadia by Jim Crace. Sending PM to the next participant. Thanks! Looking forward to B. I already have my book picked out.
Profile Image

B Book

I'm for starting the B Book. I'll go look at my shelves now.
Profile Image
My husband decided that we are keeping American Folklore and Legends because HE wants to read it. LOL! I already pm'd raralovestoread for her address. I will keep this bookring moving as soon as I get the address.
Profile Image
Thanks, Southernfryed!

Profile Image
This sounds like so much fun! I'm sad I didn't see it sooner. :/
Profile Image
You're in. Welcome!
Profile Image
which was also the first day of school, so I haven't had time to post until today. I am taking out All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell. I've never read any of her books, but I do occasionally enjoy reading mysteries. PMing the next participant for an address.
Profile Image
Thanks, raralovestoread!

Profile Image
Sorry I didn't post sooner. I was absolutely exhausted yesterday. They've arrived, and I've made my choice. I chose The Abortionist's Daughter, by Elisabeth Hyde. I just need to PM akayume for their address, which I'll do in just a moment. I should be able to get these out here in the next day or two. I'm sure Mr. Stephario would welcome the break from building bookcases to take a package or two to the post office for me.
Profile Image
from Akayume for their address so I can send this on. I've PM'd twice so far and have yet to receive a response. Will try again today to see if third time's the charm.
Profile Image
OK, Stephario. I'd say, if you don't hear back in the next day or so, let's move on to tabby-cat-owner. If Akayume gets back to you later while the ring is still moving, we'll just move her down the list. Thanks.

Profile Image
I just heard from Akayume...she's on vacation but happened to check in on her phone. She did send me her address, so I'll get the package out to her in the next couple of days unless she asks me to wait. I got the impression that she's nearing the end of her vacation anyway (but I could be wrong).
Profile Image
OK. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on what's happening!

Profile Image

Received!

I've been super busy with school starting and moving in to a new apartment, but I received the books. (: I'll make a choice and try to pm/send out either later this week or early next week.
Profile Image
... to please journal your selection promptly. (And tell us what you chose! Inquiring minds want to know!) =D

Thank you!

Profile Image
Thanks for the reminder! I indeed had forgotten to journal my selection (The Abortionist's Daughter), even though it's been sitting next to my spot in the den where I sit with my computer the entire time. I'm sorry, and thank you so much for posting the reminder. Well, I have to go give the child his meds. He's "waiting." ("Waiting" said in that tone of extreme annoyance only teenagers can manage.)
Profile Image
The "B" books have arrived!

I will be keeping (A) Blessing on the Moon (Since I've already read a quarter of it. Just seeing if I like it, you know? Have to finish up my contribution and then will send the packet on its way! I'll post when I mail it!
Profile Image
Here's the link for the thread re: "B" books!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/496362

Have fun!

Profile Image

Oops!

It's awkward, now that they've removed the Delete option, isn't it? :-/

Ah well, back to our regularly scheduled A-ring thread.

Profile Image
... but it looks like we've stalled. Akayume isn't responding to PM's, & hasn't yet PM'd tabby-cat-owner for an address or even journalled her selection.

I have one A-book ready to go right now, & can have another one ready in about a week. So, one small hiccup, & then we'll pick up where we left off.

I guess these things happen. :-/

Profile Image
I'll be wrapping them today, & they'll go into the mail today or tomorrow. Thanks for your patience, everyone!

~~~

Edit to add: Shipped 10/5/13. Tracking number 9449009699939308088559.

Profile Image
The package arrived and I have chosen a book. It is "Along Came A Spider" by James Patterson. I hope to mail the "A" books to the next participant today.
Profile Image
Thanks, tabby-cat-owner!

Profile Image
I chose Augustus Carp, esq by himself (not really - it's written by Robert Robinson). Looks quirky and fun.

I pm'd Lynn for her address. The ring will move along again when I have her address. The 'a' book is ready to go.

Mailed today. Tracking ID: 9114901159815769385967
Profile Image
Thanks, NancyNova!

Profile Image
Sorry I did not post sooner...I couldn't find this forum! Anyway, I will be making my selection, PMing the next in line & sending the "A" books along.
Profile Image
Sorry you had trouble finding us, LynnGorman! It's true, sometimes this thread sinks between entries. But you can always find a link to it on my profile page, if you can't spot it in the Bookrings forum.

Thanks for letting us know the books are with you. Happy picking!

Profile Image

I chose

"The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat" and mailed the "A" books to Aberpeter today.
Profile Image
Thanks, LynnGorman!

Profile Image
I also have quickheels address. I will try to get to the post office within the week.
Profile Image
Amazingly I was able to squeeze in a run to the post office today. quickheels should have the books soon.
Profile Image
Thanks, Aberpeter!

Profile Image
And I'm choosing The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler. Looks like I'm last so I'll contact Iwillrejoice to finish the A's.
Profile Image
Thanks, quickheels! PM on its way!

Profile Image
Today in the mail I received Against the Wind by J.F. Freedman and The Accidental by Ali Smith. Plus a post card of Westwood Lake in Indiana & a cool hand-made bookmark. Very nice!

Thank you all for taking part in the A-ring. The A's are now finished.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.