corner corner (Now In Progress) MaryZee's Biographies of Things Bookbox (US)

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

(Now In Progress) MaryZee's Biographies of Things Bookbox (US)

Last fall, we lost a champion of BookCrossing in MaryZee. At the time she passed, she had in circulation her Biographies of Things BookBox, a type of book dear to her heart. The link to her original thread is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/465947.

I was the last recipient of the box and returned it to Mary's family after the funeral. They have had a chance to look through the box and read the books that interested them. It is their wish that the box continue to circulate in memory of MaryZee and her love of books and of BookCrossing.

The box is now in my possession, with the contents that remained in the box after my turn in September. If you would be interested in participating in this book box, please post on this thread and send me a PM with shipping preferences and preferred place on the list. I will take over administration/supervision of the box and the participants -- my first foray into running a book box. Please be patient with any goofs I may make. Hoping to get this box moving by the end of March.

ETA: For the round starting May 2013, tentative shipping order is as follows:
QuietOrchid
fireyfairy
innae
oliviapoolside
Hyphen8
weiterferne
azuki
Booklady331
NancyNova
Eponine38
GoryDetails
Elizardbreath
msJoanna
debnance
melydia <--- box is here 6/2/2015
BACK to 6of8

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Last fall, we lost a champion of BookCrossing in MaryZee. At the time she passed, she had in circulation her Biographies of Things BookBox, a type of book dear to her heart. The link to her original thread is here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/465947.

I was the last recipient of the box and returned it to Mary's family after the funeral. They have had a chance to look through the box and read the books that interested them. It is their wish that the box continue to circulate in memory of MaryZee and her love of books and of BookCrossing.

The box is now in my possession, with the contents that remained in the box after my turn in September. If you would be interested in participating in this book box, please post on this thread and send me a PM with shipping preferences and preferred place on the list. I will take over administration/supervision of the box and the participants -- my first foray into running a book box. Please be patient with any goofs I may make. Hoping to get this box moving by the end of March.

ETA: For the round starting May 2013, tentative shipping order is as follows:
QuietOrchid
fireyfairy
innae
oliviapoolside
Hyphen8
weiterferne
azuki
Booklady331
NancyNova
Eponine38
GoryDetails
Elizardbreath
msJoanna
debnance
melydia <--- box is here 6/2/2015
BACK to 6of8
Profile Image
Oh, yes, please! I can only afford US postage for a box, though. No strong preference for position in the list, unless the current contents include lots of my books, in which case, move me down a bit please {grin}.
Profile Image
I will check on that, Gory. In fact, I will try to make a list of the current contents and who put them in the box, to kind of give folks the idea of where they want to be in the line-up. Seems to me you were toward the end last time, so more likely to be more of yours than someone from the beginning, but I'll get the list done and let folks know.
Profile Image
I definitely want to join again - prefer towards the end (to get more reading done and to avoid Convention time :-)
Profile Image

Me! Me!

I loved this box! I'm afraid I can only deal with US postage now, but if that works , anywhere on the list.
Profile Image
Looks like everything I put in previously has been taken out, but I still need to do some reading, so I'd prefer to be closer to the bottom of the list. US postage only, please.
Profile Image
Looked through the box this morning to refresh my memory. The books in the box along with the names of those who added them are as follows:

Death to Dust -- GoryDetails
The Big House -- GoryDetails
Mr. Gatling's Terrible Marvel -- GoryDetails
The Toothpick -- GoryDetails
Consider the Eel -- GoryDetails
The Origin of Language -- GoryDetails
The Secret House -- GoryDetails
Oranges -- Eponine38
Rats -- Eponine38
Bananas -- Eponine38
Book Business -- Azuki
Big Shots: The Men Behind the Booze -- Azuki
The Furniture Doctor -- Booklady331
Do Penguins Have Knees? -- 6of8
The Universe in a Nutshell -- 6of8
Miranda: The Right to Remain Silent -- 6of8
Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? -- 6of8
Profile Image

I me

But towards the end as I don't have any books ready yet
Profile Image
thanks so much for pm'ing me to let me know. I can be anywhere on the list (though not the first if it's starting in March)
Look forward to the box!
Profile Image
But count me in whenever you get it going. It was an awesome box, and I know there were several books that stayed with me, so I will get reading :-) (and if you need an international sender, I can do so) --

Hearts to MaryZee's family and a fare thee well to MZ...

Profile Image
Thanks, 6of8 for keeping this one going in Memory of MaryZee. It was a very nice box and I would like to join. As most here - I haven't done much reading for it and it certainly will take me a while. Wouldn't want the box before June, but for the rest I should be fine with wherever you put me.
Profile Image

I will

be happy to join
Profile Image
Regulator & I would love to join, please! We can only afford US shipping, though.
Profile Image

Bump

I will be sending this out at the beginning of May -- still time for more people to sign up and plenty of time for you all to finish your reading, I hope. Once I return from Europe I will figure out the best order.
Profile Image
As to placement in the mailing order. Also still taking names of anyone else who wants to join.

Ideally, I will get this mailed on Saturday, so if you want to be first (or not), speak now.
Profile Image
for me please.
Profile Image
Thanks for doing the box!
Profile Image
I still have to read the books I want to add to the box!
Profile Image
QuietOrchid graciously agreed to go first. I have posted the tentative order on the thread above.

The box went out in the mail just moments ago. I registered the Journal Book as well to help me keep track of things: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11893426/
Profile Image
Looks like a nice selection.
Profile Image
Sent off to Fireyfairy. Expected arrival 5/21.
I enjoyed looking through the box, thanks.
dc 9549 0105 2544 3136 4244 30
Profile Image
After a little hiccup, a renewed box is on the way to innae in Colorado, expect it by 7/29, dc #9549 0102 0930 3203 5941 12

To accompany the newer box is a new journal: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12066669/

Hopefully the original box, and more importantly, MaryZee's journal, will turn up at some point.
Profile Image
After a little hiccup, a renewed box is on the way to innae in Colorado, expect it by 7/29, dc #9549 0102 0930 3203 5941 12

To accompany the newer box is a new journal: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12066669/

Hopefully the original box, and more importantly, MaryZee's journal, will turn up at some point.

BTW, what happened to the original box? Did it ever arrive at its destination? :(
Profile Image
I am not certain. It seems to me that it did and then disappeared, but I don't recall. I sent several messages to fireyfairy, as did QuietOrchid, and no response was received. Perhaps I will try again -- although I saw a post by her husband that she has suddenly been rendered (hopefully temporarily) blind, so that may wait a little longer. I would dearly love to be reunited with the original box, since it had the journal book that MaryZee wrote in, but MaryZee herself was a big believer in not letting such hiccups in bookboxes consume you, so I have tried to follow her example.
Profile Image
I am not certain. It seems to me that it did and then disappeared, but I don't recall. I sent several messages to fireyfairy, as did QuietOrchid, and no response was received. Perhaps I will try again -- although I saw a post by her husband that she has suddenly been rendered (hopefully temporarily) blind, so that may wait a little longer. I would dearly love to be reunited with the original box, since it had the journal book that MaryZee wrote in, but MaryZee herself was a big believer in not letting such hiccups in bookboxes consume you, so I have tried to follow her example.

Yes, I saw that about fieryfairy too...so obviously this is not the time to ask about a bookbox... scary stuff, that. :(
Profile Image
BTW, what happened to the original box? Did it ever arrive at its destination? :(

USPS delivery confirmation placed it at an address on 5/20/13. But no, the box has disappeared, or never was sent, or never was there, or perhaps taken off a porch in a busy street. So I'm sorry, it's long gone. I still have hopes that the original journal may resurface some year .....
Profile Image
I haven't gone through all the books yet, but have sent a PM to oliviapoolside, and will post here (and with the new journal) when I get it sent out.

(and I am a little sad the original box has gone missing...here is hoping it is finding a new journey, just like its namesake :-)
Profile Image
Guess I'd better start working on my "things" books! :)
Profile Image
sending a PM. ANywhere in the order is fine.
Profile Image
sending a PM. ANywhere in the order is fine.

Hm...another person before me would be good. ;)

(Figuring out what to read next - something that could go in this box...must read faster!)
Profile Image
Sent off to Oliviapoolside via media mail
tracking #9549 0101 2665 3211 3267 47
Profile Image
I kind of started to wonder whether this was still moving as I hadn't heard anything in while.

Looked up the thread and found out the box got lost and replaced (Thanks quietorchid) and isn't too far from me. Good - should get the last book for this box read...
Profile Image
I kind of started to wonder whether this was still moving as I hadn't heard anything in while.

Looked up the thread and found out the box got lost and replaced (Thanks quietorchid) and isn't too far from me. Good - should get the last book for this box read...

The reconstituted box is on its way to me, and you're next. If you're feeling proactive, you can PM me your address..but I don't actually have the box *yet*! :p
Profile Image
A couple of notes:

* The box needs to be replaced: hopefully nothing was lost.
http://www.flickr.com/---/9723743172

* Is there a BCID for Chicken Soup for the Cat & Dog Lover's Soul? I can't find it.
Profile Image
Weiterferne would like to not receive the box until October. The usual transit time is 3 weeks, but every once in a while a box hops a fast freight and gets there in more like a week. Just in case, I'm hanging on to it for a little while; I'll plan to send it out some time next week.
Profile Image
Sounds perfectly fine to me. As long as it works for sender and sendee and the box continues to move, I am a happy camper.
Profile Image
USPS says the projected delivery date is 10/15.

DC number in journal entry for the Space Shuttle book.
Profile Image
Hey everyone---I thought I was in on this but don't see my name on the list? This is one I always enjoyed doing when MaryZee was sending it around. Could I please get on somewhere? I'm in Oregon. Thanks!
Profile Image
I can add you to the rotation, no problem. Are you ready to go soon or do you want to be a little further down the line?
Profile Image
I noted in the space shuttle journal that the box arrived today. But to make sure Everybody knows I post this here, too.
Profile Image
Thanks, 6of8. Go ahead and put me further down the line so I can get a few read and set aside.
Profile Image

RE: Thanks!

Done!
Profile Image
I will make my choices and get it off.
Profile Image

One more?

I participated in this box previously when MaryZee was running it.

I'd love to rejoin. Would you consider adding me to the circulation list or including me in the next round?

I'm in mid-Missouri.
Profile Image

RE: One more?

I can add you after Elizardbreath.
Profile Image
and the next in line's address. But, due to the Christmas season mass of packages, I'm going to hold it for right now, so it doesn't get lost in the Christmas rush.

It's repackaged in a new box. I'll post my selections on the journal book, and the tracking ID, when I ship it again.
Profile Image
[ due to the Christmas season mass of packages, I'm going to hold it for right now, so it doesn't get lost in the Christmas rush.

Good call! thanks for the update and to everyone for participating!
Profile Image

Bookbox

If it isn't too late, I'd love to join this box. I live in Texas, but I can only mail within the US.
Profile Image

RE: Bookbox

I will add you to the end (except for melydia since she will be hand-delivering the box to me). Welcome aboard!
Profile Image
Heading to eponine38.

Tracking ID: 9114901230801010080419
Profile Image
but expected delivery date is tomorrow, 12/28. Let's hope!
Profile Image
For some reason I got carried away and assigned the box to you instead of Nancy Nova when she received it, so I tried to update the delivery date when I finally noticed it. Let me know if it doesn't arrive, but will mark it as getting there 12/28 for now. :)
Profile Image
I was starting to get worried, as it hadn't been scanned since 12/24 in NJ. But all is well now.

I may meet up with GoryDetails in the next few days; if weather prevents that, I'll get it in the mail by the end of the week.
Profile Image
Got the box from eponine38 today - many thanks! I've PMed Elizardbreath for an address, and hope to get the box moving again fairly soon.
Profile Image
I mailed the box to Elizardbreath in Arkansas today; my selections, the box's current contents, and the tracking info are in my JE on the bookbox journal here ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12066669 ). Hope the box travels safely, and that everyone enjoys the books!

I found some tantalizing books in the box - including one that was originally released by MaryZee herself, a lovely reminder of her. As others have noted, there were also a few that didn't really fit the "biographies of things" theme as described in MaryZee's original post ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/465947 ), so I swapped those out. (They included that stray copy of Chicken Soup for the Cat & Dog Lovers' Soul; if the person who put it in the box did register it, do contact me with the BCID. I went ahead and registered it myself but I can easily correct that if I hear from you before I get around to releasing it.) If, even after checking out MaryZee's post, anyone's still unsure as to whether a particular title qualifies, feel free to ask!

The box currently weighs about 13 lbs and cost me a tad over $9 to mail (including tracking); since I wound up taking a good dozen books, that makes it a very good deal for me {wry grin}.
Profile Image
reading your journal I noticed that you put in The Big Necessity. I just picked up that very same title a few months back, and when I saw it, my first thought was, it would be a great title for the bookbox. And the second thought: I bet Gory will be interested in something like this...
Profile Image
reading your journal I noticed that you put in The Big Necessity. I just picked up that very same title a few months back, and when I saw it, my first thought was, it would be a great title for the bookbox. And the second thought: I bet Gory will be interested in something like this...

Hee!
Profile Image
I've not been this excited for a bookbox in a long time! PMing the next in line now!

edited to add: I'm going through the box now and I'd just like to request that I always and forever be in line after GoryDetails on every bookbox forevermore. :) Excellent books!!!
Profile Image
Wow, now that is an endorsement! It probably doesn't hurt that she had so many great books to play with. I cannot speak for all book box organizers, of course, but if you remind me on any other ones I do, I will make every effort to accommodate that request.
Profile Image
Aw shucks! Glad you're enjoying the selection!
Profile Image
edited to add: I'm going through the box now and I'd just like to request that I always and forever be in line after GoryDetails on every bookbox forevermore. :) Excellent books!!!

Agreed: Gory *always* has good stuff. :)
Profile Image

Agreed: Gory *always* has good stuff. :)

Yup. Best place to be.
Profile Image
I sent the box on to msJoanna just now. Like a dork, I forgot tracking, but it's only traveling about 4 hours so it should be ok!
Profile Image
I've PM'd msJoanna and am going to again now. I've not heard from her that she's received this and I'm now, of course, freaking out!
Profile Image
I've PM'd msJoanna and am going to again now. I've not heard from her that she's received this and I'm now, of course, freaking out!

She posted on BookObsessed last week or so that she had been out of town for work, was told by her family that there were several packages waiting for her. I think she should be home by now but probably just busy playing catch up.
Profile Image
The box is with me. I had a long jury trial and am just now catching up. I'll be opening packages at home shortly. Sorry for the delay.
Profile Image
How did I not know you were an AAG?! Hope that you were victorious at trial!
Profile Image
Whew! I was sort of freaking at the irony that the one time I forget to add tracking, it would go missing! Glad you're safe and sound and all is well!
Profile Image
Last I heard it was with MsJoanna, but I have sent a couple PMs and not heard anything back. Seems a shame to have it stalled again after QuietOrchid rebuilt it once, but I am uncertain how to proceed.

If anyone knows more than I do about the whereabouts of the box, please post an update.

Thanks!
Profile Image
I sent a pm to MsJoanna via BookObsessed, hopefully that helps.
Profile Image

Egads!

I just discovered this box at my house. I'm leaving town for two weeks, but will move the box forward when I return.

I'm dreadfully sorry to have held this up. I've usually been so prompt, but these last few months have been incredibly hectic around my house and I just forgot about this entirely.
Profile Image

RE: Egads!

Thanks for the update! I have been an AAG myself and know how hectic life can get and how much stuff can pile up when you are in trial.
Profile Image
Any news on this one since msjoanna's last post?
Profile Image

Arrived!

Happy day! This box arrived yesterday. What a lovely box it is!

I will take a look through it and then pass it on as soon as I can.
Profile Image
Really glad that the box is alive and well!! It's one of my favorite bookboxes. I was almost about to offer help restarting it, but then I realize I don't have that many books to put in... lots on Mt. TBR yes but not quite ready...
Profile Image

RE: Arrived!

Hooray!
Profile Image
Apologies again to everyone for the black hole that has been my house for the past year. Things have gotten a bit out of my control, but I'm trying to right all of these things now. In any event, the box should be able to move along again. Thanks for your patience with me!
Profile Image
Thank you for locating the book in the void and moving it on! May the verdicts be ever in your favor!
Profile Image
I'm still trying to find replacement books for all the lovely books I want to take out. I hope to do so soon and then get it back on the road.
Profile Image
I was just thinking it must be time for a new Biographies of Things box, but when I checked up on this thread and the bookbox journal I found that this one is still en route. (Maybe it should be dubbed "The Very, Very Leisurely Bookbox" {wry grin}.)
Profile Image
The bookbox arrived at my home yesterday. I have every intention of shamelessly taking advantage my IRL friendship with 6of8 and giving her the box in person - when I get done with it, which might be a while as I want to read, like, 75% of the books in there but don't have anything to put in it at the moment. It's been so long since I signed up that the books I'd set aside for it were long ago released. But I'll find some more, never fear. :)
Profile Image

Yea!!!!!

Oh boy!

I'll start saving books for the next Biography of Things box (hint, hint, fingers crossed, please???).
Profile Image

Lovely!!

Glad the little box is still alive and well.
Guess it's time to start reading books to ready for the next round?
Profile Image
Glad to see that the box has arrived at Melydia's home, where it can be enjoyed by her, the 3 cats, and both turtles (please have them dry their flippers first).

I don't have any books to put in the box at the moment because I have been fixated on other things I need to read. Likely the box will remain with Melydia and myself for the summer. Since there is interest in another round, and since I always feel like autumn is the start of a new year, I will likely do the next round beginning in September. Let me know if you are interested in participating and where you would like to be in the line.
Profile Image
I will likely do the next round beginning in September. Let me know if you are interested in participating and where you would like to be in the line.

Could you start a new thread closer to that date - and/or whenever you have enough books ready? I'm definitely interested, but I find it less confusing reading a new thread than trying to parse an older one for the latest mailing info.
Profile Image
Yes, Gory, I will do that. I just thought if I put it here as well, and then forget, someone might be sure to remind me later. :) I will be smart and add it to the calendar as well, though.
Profile Image
...I'd better get busy reading!
Profile Image
I would love to be included in this bookbox.
Profile Image
Sounds interesting. Please add me.
Profile Image
I had lots of good finds in the previous round
Profile Image
I would love to participate! Please add me to your list.
Profile Image
I sent you a pm, 6 of 8. Did you get it?
Profile Image
Sorry. Yes, I have received PMs from several people and have also noted the interest expressed here. Will be checking both when I go to make up the list for the next round. Thanks everyone!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.