corner corner UPDATED In Memory of MaryZee-Bookbox

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

UPDATED In Memory of MaryZee-Bookbox

Having just read of MaryZee's passing, I'm still shaken so please excuse me if this isn't as organized or well thought out as it should be. I noted on more than one occasion the similarities in books that I shared with her. I was in a couple of her early Bookish Books bookboxes and I think her Cozy Mysteries bookbox too. I had been saving books for the next Bookish Books Bookbox.
If there is interest, I'd like to start a bookbox in memory of MaryZee. I don't think I have enough bookish books to make it worthwhile, so I thought of combining these two favorites of mine into one box. Bookish Books and Cozy Mysteries. I've participated in many boxes, especially in my early BC years, but I've never organized one. It would be important to me not to mess up this first attempt, so I think I better limit this to US/Canada shipping for now. I apologize to international BC'ers and if I meet with success on this attempt, it may give me the confidence to attempt a world-wide box.
Please post here and send me a PM if you would be interested in joining in one bookbox, "Bookish Books & Cozy Mysteries-MZ".
*******************************************************************************************************Thank you all for the interest in this bookbox. I'm going to follow up over the next few days with PM's to everyone, but wanted to post here as well. Unless you all feel otherwise, I thought of compiling the list and shipping order now, but waiting until the first week of January before I send it on its way. I thought with the Holidays fast approaching it might be easier on everyone. I've got a couple more TBR's I'd like to read so I can include them too. But as I said earlier, majority rules. If you'd rather have it started on its way within the next couple of weeks, let me know. I'll be sending you a shipping order by the beginning of next week.
Sandy (Katiesmama)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Having just read of MaryZee's passing, I'm still shaken so please excuse me if this isn't as organized or well thought out as it should be. I noted on more than one occasion the similarities in books that I shared with her. I was in a couple of her early Bookish Books bookboxes and I think her Cozy Mysteries bookbox too. I had been saving books for the next Bookish Books Bookbox.
If there is interest, I'd like to start a bookbox in memory of MaryZee. I don't think I have enough bookish books to make it worthwhile, so I thought of combining these two favorites of mine into one box. Bookish Books and Cozy Mysteries. I've participated in many boxes, especially in my early BC years, but I've never organized one. It would be important to me not to mess up this first attempt, so I think I better limit this to US/Canada shipping for now. I apologize to international BC'ers and if I meet with success on this attempt, it may give me the confidence to attempt a world-wide box.
Please post here and send me a PM if you would be interested in joining in one bookbox, "Bookish Books & Cozy Mysteries-MZ".
*******************************************************************************************************Thank you all for the interest in this bookbox. I'm going to follow up over the next few days with PM's to everyone, but wanted to post here as well. Unless you all feel otherwise, I thought of compiling the list and shipping order now, but waiting until the first week of January before I send it on its way. I thought with the Holidays fast approaching it might be easier on everyone. I've got a couple more TBR's I'd like to read so I can include them too. But as I said earlier, majority rules. If you'd rather have it started on its way within the next couple of weeks, let me know. I'll be sending you a shipping order by the beginning of next week.
Sandy (Katiesmama)
Profile Image
The only box of MaryZee's I've participated in was the "biographies of things" box, which was excellent.
Profile Image
Here's MaryZee's last bookish-bookbox thread, which includes an explanation and quite a few titles ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/462660/ ). My own contributions included a collection of library-themed comic strips, manga set in a used book store, and non-fiction titles including a biography of Roget (of thesaurus fame) and a couple of my favorite books-about-books, Lamott's Bird by Bird (on writing) and Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road (on the sheer love of books).
Profile Image
a collection of library-themed comic strips

Ooh, Unshelved? Fun.
Profile Image
Lots of fiction would qualify... The Jane Austen Book Club, Fforde novels, Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously are some popular titles off the top of my head.

I would like to join, at the end of the list as I am still storting through a friends SF/F heavy legacy... and I have hundreds of books more to register.
Profile Image
I'd be glad to participate, though I can only afford to mail within the US. I've enjoyed many of MaryZee's bookboxes over the years...
Profile Image
Sorry, hyphen8 that I didn't do a better job of explaining, but thank you, gory for doing so. I'm hoping we can get a minimum of 6-8 others interested.
Profile Image

Hmm...

Thanks for the explanations, Greyflank & Gory.

I might have some (TBR) books that fit for each category, but some of the "bookish" books are decidedly un-cozy. Is that ok? I know *GoryDetails* wouldn't mind...but if other people are expecting "cozies"...?

Also, it looks like YA/teen type books are acceptable - is that correct?
Profile Image
depending on when it would start traveling (got some reading to do!).
Sending you a PM now.
Profile Image
Hyphen8 it's a-ok if the bookish books aren't cozies. Non-fiction books about books are some of my very favorites. I guarantee there's going to be a couple in there from me to start the box. Having never organized a box, you'll find I'm not a micro-manager:) Pretty much if you think it fits either as a bookish book or cozy mystery, I'm ok with you putting it in the box. Because I'll have MaryZee's name on it, I'd be devestated if it went lost. But with that being said, I'm not going to hound people about it either. We're at five already; I'll hold off another week to try and generate a little more interest, and then I'll be in touch with everyone to see if you want to start it before or after the holidays. Majority will rule. Thanks to all of you for your interest and help.
Profile Image

Sign me up

I plan on doing at least one book box of my own in MaryZee's memory, but probably won't get them off the ground/shelf for a bit. I will happily participate in this one, as I should have books of both sorts to contribute, possibly even some that came from or were recommended by MaryZee.

I am in MD, in case that helps, and will send you a PM.
Profile Image
I've got a couple, as long as not too cozy books are also okay.
Profile Image
I have enjoyed maryzee's bookish boxes for years and would love to join in. she recently helped me organize the latest round of my cozy box. She is missed! Thanks for doing this. I'm in Texas and can do US shipping only
Profile Image
This is not the shipping order, PM's will be sent soon.
Hyphen8
Greyflank
GoryDetails
Eponine38
6of8
Quietorchid
Affinity4books
Katiesmama

ETA: This box isn't closed, so if you're interested in joining, there's still time. Just post here and drop me a PM.
Profile Image
I need to do some reading & registering to be ready for this box.
Profile Image
expressed an interest in being in this box but I guess not. Please I would like to be part. I was signed up for the original cozy mystery box and still have those books waiting.
Profile Image
...from chefcrossing, here:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/489193

Since katiesmama wasn't able to get the bookish-and-cozy box going ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/487575/ ), perhaps those of us with some books-on-books in hand can join the other one?

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.