corner corner Medicine Chest Bookbox III US and Canada

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Medicine Chest Bookbox III US and Canada

Hi Everyone. I trust I am not alone in wishing that JudySlump612 would send the Medicine Chest around again! So I asked her, and she replied "Here are the books, do it."

Here are the criteria (shamelessly copied from her posts)
This box would include:
- Books set in hospitals, clinics, other treatment centers
- Characters involved in medical research, diagnosis, treatment
- Plots involving medical issues
- Histories of research, illnesses, treatment

To get an interesting variety into the box, I'm interpreting "Medicine" quite broadly. Veterinarians? Excellent! Galactic hospitals, like James White's Sector General? Terrific! Narratives of case studies, like Oliver Sacks or Berton Roueche? Absolutely! Discussions of those thorny issues? Fine, as long as they're balanced and not trying to be inflammatory.

Mailing Order
oliviapoolside WA <<!>>
Erishkigal UT <<!>>
keno-mom TX <<!>>
Hyphen8 HI <<!>>
azuki FL <<!>>
firegirl VA <<!>>
GoryDetails NH <<!>>
minesayn OH <<!>>
ksloan23 KS <<!>>
quietorchid MN <<Box is Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normal rules:
please announce here you got the box.
e-mail next person for address.
use delivery confimation.
let us know when box is on the move.

eta: Here is a link to the journal. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11405648

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi Everyone. I trust I am not alone in wishing that JudySlump612 would send the Medicine Chest around again! So I asked her, and she replied "Here are the books, do it."

Here are the criteria (shamelessly copied from her posts)
This box would include:
- Books set in hospitals, clinics, other treatment centers
- Characters involved in medical research, diagnosis, treatment
- Plots involving medical issues
- Histories of research, illnesses, treatment

To get an interesting variety into the box, I'm interpreting "Medicine" quite broadly. Veterinarians? Excellent! Galactic hospitals, like James White's Sector General? Terrific! Narratives of case studies, like Oliver Sacks or Berton Roueche? Absolutely! Discussions of those thorny issues? Fine, as long as they're balanced and not trying to be inflammatory.

Mailing Order
oliviapoolside WA <<!>>
Erishkigal UT <<!>>
keno-mom TX <<!>>
Hyphen8 HI <<!>>
azuki FL <<!>>
firegirl VA <<!>>
GoryDetails NH <<!>>
minesayn OH <<!>>
ksloan23 KS <<!>>
quietorchid MN <<Box is Home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Normal rules:
please announce here you got the box.
e-mail next person for address.
use delivery confimation.
let us know when box is on the move.

eta: Here is a link to the journal. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11405648/
Profile Image
If I'm going to do this I have to get some reading done first. :)

When you say plots involving medical issues, I'm guessing books like this would qualify?

The Speed of Dark - Elizabeth Moon (autistic protagonist)
Motherless Brooklyn - Jonathan Lethem (detective with Tourette's syndrome)
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon (autistic protagonist)

Not that I currently have _all_ of those books, but I'm trying to get a feel for what you will be looking for.
Profile Image
The box will be a mix of fiction (Incendiary, PTSD), non-fiction (One of Us, conjoined Twins and the search for 'normal'), memoirs (Baby Doctor by Peri Klass), case studies (Toscani's Fumble by Harold Klawans), Science Fiction (Memories by Lois McMaster Bujold).

Medicine should be a presence in each book, but I expect the books to be varied, as tastes and expectations about the 'presence' of medicine differ. All of the books you mentioned (speed of Dark, Curious Incident of the Dog, Motherless Brooklyn) would fit well. Kathy Reich books, or Scarpetta books would also work well.
Profile Image

Yay!

Thanks for taking over! While reading July's declaration, I was thinking I will surely miss this box. Thanks so much for keeping one of my favorite box going.

Please I prefer my round no earlier than Dec.
Profile Image
will also have to have time to save up books for it.
Profile Image
I've been working on a journal list, (Spoilers! don't look if you want to be surprised!) here is a link
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11405648/

This is still preliminary, but a mix of books that will probably be going out. Subject to change, as I find other good stuff.
Profile Image

Yay!

I have a whole stack of books I've set aside for next round of this box....and after judy's withdrawal, wondered if I'd have to start one myself ;p So glad you took it on!!!
Profile Image
I PM'ed you, thanks for thinking about me for the box
Profile Image
Great, we'll start in the middle of October. Here's a preliminary travel order, once the box is off, i'll put this in the heading for those of us who do 'flat, latest'.

Any problems with order, sing out!
oliviapoolside WA
Erishkigal UT
keno-mom TX
Hyphen8 HI
azuki FL
GoryDetails NH
minesayn OH
ksloan23 KS
quietorchid MN
Profile Image
as long as I am near the end. Right now, nothing I am reading seems to fit into the category.
Profile Image
now, off to find and read some books for this... :)
Profile Image
It goes without saying, i think, can I be toward the end? I need to read some first! Thanks
Profile Image
You're added to the list!
Profile Image
Please journal the postcards! Thanks!
Profile Image
I'd like to play, if so. Will PM you.
Profile Image

Curious

Oddly enough, I have 2 books that would be perfect for this bookring. I'm not interested in participating with receiving the box but I wouldn't mind sending them to whomever has the book right now or will next to include in it?

Would you like that?
Profile Image
Thanks, that is so nice of you. How about for the next box? Medicine Bookbox IV? I sent Box III off, and it weighed over 17lbs, so it's pretty stuffed.
Profile Image

RE: RE: Curious

Huh. That's too bad. I'm trying to spring clean. lol :P

Ok, well, please send me a message the next time you start and if I still have them or others that will fit, I'd be happy to contribute them. ;)
Profile Image

RE: Curious

Huh. That's too bad. I'm trying to spring clean. lol :P

Ok, well, please send me a message the next time you start and if I still have them or others that will fit, I'd be happy to contribute them. ;)

I believe the box is currently headed to oliviapoolside, but if you *really* want to get rid of those books you could send them to someone a bit further down the list for inclusion in the box.

I'm still trying to *read* the ones I want to put in...

Profile Image

Box off

dc 0312 0860 0000 2071 6758 expected arrival 10/29
weighs 17lbs, $10.24 with dc.
Profile Image
I will include them (as long as they are not big hardcover books).
Profile Image
thanks, a lot of interesting books!
Profile Image
I will do my best to make mine quickly~
Profile Image
sent to keno-mom today
dc# 0311326000050452112
Profile Image
sent to keno-mom today

Must...read...faster! :p

Profile Image
sent to keno-mom today

Must...read...faster! :p

Same here!
If you need a boost we are having a post-thanksgiving read-a-thon on BookObsessed!
http://bookobsessed.com/---/http
Profile Image
I got the box this week, wow lots of books to choose from. I haven't made any firm selections yet but will over the weekend.
Profile Image
Hi all , that was difficult!I finally settled on six books; A Beautiful Mind by Sylvia Nash
Coronary, a true story of medicine gone awry by Stephen Klindman,My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, Ph.D, A Pediatricians Training,Baby Doctor by Perri Klass, Look me in the Eye by John Elder Robison, Beauty Junkies by Alex Kuzynski. I'm heading over the library resale shop tomorrow, about noon central time us, if you have any special request please post them here, I can't promise anything but I'll see what I can do.
Profile Image
What postcard are you selecting?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11405648/
Profile Image
I'll have to go back in the box and look, I didn't see any postcards.
Profile Image
Uh,Duh I found the adorable bad news puppies and kittens, it's been a long day:(
I picked "It's only sunny because there is a hole in the ozone layer." After three months without rain, my friends from the East Coast think it's great and want to move here but "it's only sunny because there is a hole in the ozone layer"
Profile Image
I'm writing to hyphen8 for her addresses and will be sending out this week.
Profile Image
Did I miss your message Hyphen 8? I had minor surgery and was away from my computer for a few days, please send your address again.
Profile Image

Re: my bad

I got the address from hyphen 8 but it was back a few days and I overlooked it, I apologize.
Profile Image

Re: my bad

I got the address from hyphen 8 but it was back a few days and I overlooked it, I apologize.

As long as you found it...I hope you're doing ok after your surgery. :)

Profile Image
It's a bit battered (ripped down one side) so I'll be looking for a replacement box.

I didn't get a chance to look through it this morning, so I'm off to do that now.. :)
Profile Image
Be nice to your mailperson: it weighs over 22 pounds.
Profile Image
well I was actually planning to mail it today until I realize that it's a holiday! Too bad I can't reply with a cheery "Not anymore!" LOL

BTW I still have like 6 books left so I am definitely ready for round 4! Also kind of bummed that I am ahead of GoryDetails so I miss out on her gory books...
Profile Image
The box looks good so far, and I hope to be able to move it along soon. [I do check wishlists to see if anyone after me in the mailing list is looking for any books I happen to have - or for those that are already in the box, as this can help me decide what to take and what to pass along. So keep those lists updated!]
Profile Image
Mailed the box today; my choices and contributions, and the USPS tracking number, are in the bookbox journal's JEs ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11405648 ). Thanks for the box!
Profile Image
from GoryDetails. Would have journaled it sooner, but just returned from a trip to Georgia for a family funeral. Will look it over, laugh at the postcards, and make my selections, and get it sent on. Thanks.
Profile Image
as of yesterday to ksloan (the rest of the details are in my journal entry).

9552 1105 3463 3077 5086 13 delivery confirmation number
Profile Image

Success!

Wonderful collection of medical woes and stories ended up on my stoop this morning! Thanks to all who participated!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.