corner corner Based on the Book bookbox [US/Canada only] - books adapted to film:

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Based on the Book bookbox [US/Canada only] - books adapted to film:

Update: the box is on its way! This little Disney-quote book ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10518996 ) will be the bookbox journal; it's very small so it shouldn't make a difference to the shipping weight. I've posted the mailing order in that book's journal entries, along with a picture of the initial selection and the DC# of the box on its first leg.

Despite the ups and downs of the last books-that-inspired-movies bookbox I participated in (you can see its history here if interested: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/403649 ), I thought I'd try my hand at starting one, what with my discovery that I have a good-sized box (estimated postage cost around $10 within the US by media mail; no idea what US/Canada postage would be) full of suitable books in my read-but-not-yet-reviewed stack. I figure that if there's enough interest for this one, it'll motivate me to get those poor books moving!

[Update: since we have a volunteer to mail the box to Canada, Canadian BCers are welcome to participate. I gather that mailing *within* Canada might be more expensive than mailing to the US, so if any prospective Canadian BCers could indicate whether they'd prefer to mail a roughly 11-pound box within Canada or to the US that would be helpful! US participants do NOT have to be willing to mail to Canada, though if you are, please say so - will help with the mailing-list ordering.]

This would be for books that were adapted to film ("film" to include theatrical releases, made-for-TV movies, and TV mini-series such as "Roots"). Can be any genre, including documentary/non-fiction. The books I have on hand include novels that spawned Hollywood classics (Vertigo, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane) as well as those that inspired some cheesy-but-fun B movies (When Worlds Collide, Donovan's Brain), and quite a few in between - children's tales, film noir, costume dramas... [I can list the titles if that would help prospective participants make up their minds.] I'm not fussy about condition, btw; I have everything from nearly-new hardcovers to fair-condition trade paperbacks to yellowing, vintage mass-market paperbacks. As long as the books are still readable they're fine with me.

Novelizations of screenplays are NOT to be included in this one; some of them can be entertaining, and I have enjoyed a few, but this box is for books-to-film books only.

Anthologies are OK if at least one of the stories was adapted to film.

If in doubt as to whether a favorite title came before or after a film version, check it out on the IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/ ) - or on Wikipedia, which will usually include a link to the IMDB page if a film adaptation is involved, and may be more explicit as to which came first.

You don't have to have seen any of a book's film adaptations (or read the books, for that matter) but if you have, it would be nice if you added a comment as to whether you preferred film or book, or (if lots of films have been made from one book) which version you liked best. This is not a requirement, but would be a nice touch, as I may take some recommendations to my Netflix queue!

Please post here if interested, and/or if you have any questions.

Care and feeding of a bookbox:

-- If you haven't participated in a bookbox before: the main difference between bookboxes and rings/rays is that the boxes are meant to move along quickly, without waiting for any books to be read. You take books from the box if you want to read them, replacing them with books you've already read (or have no interest in reading), and get the box moving again right away. If you don't already have some suitably-themed books on hand, plan on picking up a few in plenty of time to be able to register them and read them at your leisure before the box gets to you.

-- When you are contacted for your address by the participant ahead of you, please reply promptly - and if circumstances have changed for you such that you can't manage a bookbox at that time, whether due to lack of suitable books, a budget-crunch that means you can't afford postage, inability to get to a post office in a timely fashion, or any other factor, please ask to be skipped. (If the situation is temporary, please contact me to have your name moved farther down the list.)

-- When you receive the box, please post a reply in this thread to let everyone know it arrived safely, and contact the next in line to ask for their address so you'll have it handy when you're ready to mail the box.

-- Put at least one book in the box for each one you take out - or, if you like, take advantage of the "shrinkage" option and take out one or two books more than you put in - and list your selections and contributions in the bookbox journal's JEs. (You don't have to match genre for genre, but you should try to maintain some kind of variety.)

-- Journal the books that you take from the box, so the contributors know where they are.

-- Mail the box within, at the most, two weeks. The media mail rate (applicable to books-only packages) will usually be the lowest. Please use delivery confirmation, and post the DC# in a reply to this thread. [If you can only get to a post office once a month, or if there are other factors that would make you take longer to move the box along, please let me know, and I'll take that into account when setting up the mailing order.]

-- Enjoy the books you claimed from the box!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Update: the box is on its way! This little Disney-quote book ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10518996 ) will be the bookbox journal; it's very small so it shouldn't make a difference to the shipping weight. I've posted the mailing order in that book's journal entries, along with a picture of the initial selection and the DC# of the box on its first leg.

Despite the ups and downs of the last books-that-inspired-movies bookbox I participated in (you can see its history here if interested: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/403649/ ), I thought I'd try my hand at starting one, what with my discovery that I have a good-sized box (estimated postage cost around $10 within the US by media mail; no idea what US/Canada postage would be) full of suitable books in my read-but-not-yet-reviewed stack. I figure that if there's enough interest for this one, it'll motivate me to get those poor books moving!

[Update: since we have a volunteer to mail the box to Canada, Canadian BCers are welcome to participate. I gather that mailing *within* Canada might be more expensive than mailing to the US, so if any prospective Canadian BCers could indicate whether they'd prefer to mail a roughly 11-pound box within Canada or to the US that would be helpful! US participants do NOT have to be willing to mail to Canada, though if you are, please say so - will help with the mailing-list ordering.]

This would be for books that were adapted to film ("film" to include theatrical releases, made-for-TV movies, and TV mini-series such as "Roots"). Can be any genre, including documentary/non-fiction. The books I have on hand include novels that spawned Hollywood classics (Vertigo, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane) as well as those that inspired some cheesy-but-fun B movies (When Worlds Collide, Donovan's Brain), and quite a few in between - children's tales, film noir, costume dramas... [I can list the titles if that would help prospective participants make up their minds.] I'm not fussy about condition, btw; I have everything from nearly-new hardcovers to fair-condition trade paperbacks to yellowing, vintage mass-market paperbacks. As long as the books are still readable they're fine with me.

Novelizations of screenplays are NOT to be included in this one; some of them can be entertaining, and I have enjoyed a few, but this box is for books-to-film books only.

Anthologies are OK if at least one of the stories was adapted to film.

If in doubt as to whether a favorite title came before or after a film version, check it out on the IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com ) - or on Wikipedia, which will usually include a link to the IMDB page if a film adaptation is involved, and may be more explicit as to which came first.

You don't have to have seen any of a book's film adaptations (or read the books, for that matter) but if you have, it would be nice if you added a comment as to whether you preferred film or book, or (if lots of films have been made from one book) which version you liked best. This is not a requirement, but would be a nice touch, as I may take some recommendations to my Netflix queue!

Please post here if interested, and/or if you have any questions.

Care and feeding of a bookbox:

-- If you haven't participated in a bookbox before: the main difference between bookboxes and rings/rays is that the boxes are meant to move along quickly, without waiting for any books to be read. You take books from the box if you want to read them, replacing them with books you've already read (or have no interest in reading), and get the box moving again right away. If you don't already have some suitably-themed books on hand, plan on picking up a few in plenty of time to be able to register them and read them at your leisure before the box gets to you.

-- When you are contacted for your address by the participant ahead of you, please reply promptly - and if circumstances have changed for you such that you can't manage a bookbox at that time, whether due to lack of suitable books, a budget-crunch that means you can't afford postage, inability to get to a post office in a timely fashion, or any other factor, please ask to be skipped. (If the situation is temporary, please contact me to have your name moved farther down the list.)

-- When you receive the box, please post a reply in this thread to let everyone know it arrived safely, and contact the next in line to ask for their address so you'll have it handy when you're ready to mail the box.

-- Put at least one book in the box for each one you take out - or, if you like, take advantage of the "shrinkage" option and take out one or two books more than you put in - and list your selections and contributions in the bookbox journal's JEs. (You don't have to match genre for genre, but you should try to maintain some kind of variety.)

-- Journal the books that you take from the box, so the contributors know where they are.

-- Mail the box within, at the most, two weeks. The media mail rate (applicable to books-only packages) will usually be the lowest. Please use delivery confirmation, and post the DC# in a reply to this thread. [If you can only get to a post office once a month, or if there are other factors that would make you take longer to move the box along, please let me know, and I'll take that into account when setting up the mailing order.]

-- Enjoy the books you claimed from the box!
Profile Image
I'm interested, thanks!
Profile Image
Although after reading about the travels and travails of the last books-to-film box, we must all admire your bravery in taking on such a risky topic. I'm in Minnesota, and happy to ship to Canada.
Profile Image
I've gotten 3 boxes plus a ray-it-forward box in a week, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

(I checked...and I did *not* sign up for them all at the same time. They really are ganging up on me...)
Profile Image
I've gotten 3 boxes plus a ray-it-forward box in a week, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

(I checked...and I did *not* sign up for them all at the same time. They really are ganging up on me...)

Tell me about it! I have one now, with two (or is it three?) on the way to me, and I just passed two more along a week or so ago. And I signed up for them months and months apart - they just seem to cluster!

I can put you late in the list for this one, if you like - though just where that might be would depend on how many participants I get and what mailing preferences they might have. And if your turn comes up when it's not convenient, you can ask to be moved or skipped.

Not to pressure anyone into signing up, of course!
Profile Image
Sign me up for movie grist, ma'am...I'll mail anywhere.
Profile Image
But if you could stick me near or at the end, that would be great, since (like hyphen up above) I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment :)
Profile Image

Interested

Please include me in this bookbox. I'm in Massachusetts and will ship anywhere. Thanks
Profile Image
First, will you limit this to films, not stage plays/musicals? Because I just stumbled over an extra copy of 'Wicked,' a terrific read, but not with an attached film.

Second, how about plays adapted for film? For instance, a lot of the Shakespeare plays have simply amazing film versions.

You can see I'm already piling up some candidates for this box, which is going to be one of the best around. Thanks, Gory!
Profile Image
First, will you limit this to films, not stage plays/musicals? Because I just stumbled over an extra copy of 'Wicked,' a terrific read, but not with an attached film.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that, but I wouldn't mind allowing book-to-stage if everybody else is OK with it - although it would have to be an actual book that inspired a theatrical treatment, not a printed copy of the playscript itself. [As it happens, I believe that a film version of Wicked is being considered, but it's far enough out that it might not happen. I'm willing to accept books that have films in production, but would like to limit this to films that are due out within six months or less, as it's fairly certain the films will actually appear at that point!]

If anyone else has strong feelings about whether or not to allow books that inspired plays but not (yet) movies, please chime in.

And the question of playscripts leads to:

Second, how about plays adapted for film? For instance, a lot of the Shakespeare plays have simply amazing film versions.

I'd certainly figured on allowing Shakespeare's works, so it's not that I don't want playscripts at all, but they must have been adapted to film. So: books that have been adapted to film or (barring protest) stage are OK, and playscripts that have been adapted to film are OK. But playscripts that have been staged but never filmed won't qualify.

Other comments/questions welcome, re these issues or others. And feel free to post and/or PM me if you aren't sure whether a specific book would count.
Profile Image
See the parent message for more details (there's additional discussion in the rest of the thread as to what's allowed, etc.). If you have any questions about what qualifies or how it works, or about mailing restrictions you might have, let me know!
Profile Image
Have to look for suitable books. Thanks!
Profile Image
(See parent message for more info.)

Any more interest in this one? I'd like to try and get the box on its way next week if I can. (If any of the existing participants have strong feelings about being first - or not being first! - just let me know.)
Profile Image
Just don't put me too near the beginning, ok?
Profile Image
Profile Image
Just started back Bookcrossing after a...uh...almost 4 year hiatus. I'd love this to be my first bookbox after returning! I'm a sucker for books to movies. You can put me in whatever order since I'm not commited to any others at the moment.

Thanks!
Profile Image
But sign me up, please!
If at all possible, I would prefer to be closer to the beginning of the box, just because I have ample time and funding at the moment, but summertime will be busy and broke ;D
Profile Image
I mailed out the box, with this little book ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10518996 ) to act as its journal, today; hope it travels safely and everyone enjoys it! [Update: according to the USPS tracking, it arrived late on the 19th.]

I kept finding books I wanted to add, so it's a little fuller than I'd intended; it clocked in at 15 pounds, but media-mail postage is still under $10, including media-mail charges. I have decided to allow a "shrinking" option for those who might prefer it - that is, while it's OK to replace your choices with the same number of books or more, you can opt to replace them with one or two books *less* if you want.

The mix includes different genres of books and different ages and conditions too, from rather battered paperbacks that may only have a few more reads left in them to nearly-new books. (I've included a photo of the initial selection in the box-journal's JEs.)

I've posted the mailing order in the bookbox journal's JEs as well. If anyone has questions about mailing and/or about books that qualify for the box, do let me know - and if any problems crop up, please get in touch!
Profile Image
I would love to participate, but if it's too late, it's fine. I'll ship within the US (my location is PR). Thanks!
Profile Image
I've updated the mailing list in the bookbox-journal's JEs to include the most recent participants. I just hope the box will travel safely so as to reach everybody!
Profile Image
Hi all - couple of questions re the bookbox of "Based on the Book" books.

a) Gorydetails, how did you manage to put all of the hyperlinks for each book into one journal entry? Is there a better way other than to use the href links for each book?

b) What is the ideal replace rate? I just went to goodwill and found a whole bunch of books that have been made into films, but perhaps a too high replace rate is not ideal. It might be nice to see that some of the books have made it from the first bc-er to the last?

Thanks - great project!
Profile Image
Since I'm next on the list, I'm jumping in with my response to your second question. First of all, by "replace rate," my understanding is that you put in as many as you take. Putting in more books may come from a generous impulse, but it means later participants must pay more for postage, which can cause difficulties.

Or were you asking, how many books is it proper to take/replace? I'd answer, the more the merrier. Taking books is a compliment to the taste of the person who put them in, and also gives her/him a better chance to get interesting journal entries. Which leads to the next question, what do you put back in? Personally, I like to see a good variety of choices - whatever you think is an interesting book, or an interesting contrast between the book and the film.

Have fun with this!

Profile Image
Judyslump612, I was referring to the latter; i.e. the number of books I take out / replace (assuming they are the same number). It looks like I'm taking out and and replacing 9 (out of about 30 total).

GoryDetails, very impressive work with the tags. That's a lot of tags!
Profile Image
Sent off on Wed. May 2. DC # in pm...
Profile Image

Update

I currently have the box and have just heard from Dunzy that he/she would like to be skipped due to computer issues. I have PM'd the next in line for a mailing address
Profile Image
Re the links - I use the href tags for each one, just 'cause I like being able to easily click through to see where each of the books has gone. You don't have to post links if you don't want to - or you could just paste the URL into your text without bothering with the tags; interested parties can copy-and-paste them (or, for some browsers, just select the URL text and right-click for an "open link" option).

Re the replace-rate: pretty much what JudySlump612 said. Personally, I try to find five or more books in any given bookbox that I want to keep, just because it hardly seems worth mailing the box if I take less than that, but it's OK to take one (or none, for that matter) if that's all that appeals to you. And if you want all the books in the box and have suitable replacements, it's OK to sweep the whole thing - though I admit that I like seeing variety in a box, variety in BCers as well as in the books, so even when I have plenty of books matching the theme I'd seldom take more than half of the books from one box at one time. I'd say I usually go with a third to half of the books, and I nearly always put in a book or two more than I take out (unless the box is designated "shrinking only" or "exact-replacement only").

In this case, I was rather pleased with the eclectic nature of my books, from movie-genre to age (of books and/or films) to condition (brand-new to barely-holding-together), and would like to see the box continue with that much variety, but that could come from replacement books as well as from those I put in.

[Well, OK, to be *perfectly* honest, if *all* the books I put in only made one hop before being replaced, it'd probably feel a bit abrupt, as if I had no further connection with the box after that - but that's a bit silly,really. So if you have enough replacement books of suitable variety, and if you want to read all the books that are there now, go for it!]
Profile Image
Can I get in on this one? :) The current selection looks awesome, and I have some great things to add. I can also ship to Canada.
Profile Image
Hi, ergoqed, and welcome to BookCrossing! I can put your name at the end of the list, but as you are very new and don't have a track record for either releasing books or following through on mailing them yet, I'll make you "conditional". If you've shown yourself to be an active and involved BookCrosser by the time the box is ready to go to you, then you'll be in.

Since trading books by mail is a purely optional sideline of BookCrossing, you don't have to send out books to prove your interest - but if you want to participate in a bookbox, which requires some effort to manage (and some expense to mail!), I like to see some evidence of willingness to mail books. The easiest way to get some experience in this line would be to offer a giveaway or trade of a book or two of your own, or to start a bookring or bookray. The current mailing list includes a dozen people and three different countries, so even if it travels safely through every hop it'd probably take five or six months to get to you, so you have plenty of time! And sometimes people start bookrings or rays specifically for the benefit of newcomers - we all had to get started somewhere - so if you can find any of those, that'd be another good way to get some experience points.

Hope you enjoy BookCrossing!
Profile Image
Sounds okay to me! Thanks. :)
Profile Image

add?

I'm in the same boat as ergoqed....new to BC and would love to particpate in the box. Feel free to add me as conditional at the end...hopefully by the time my name is up, I will have built up some stats. :)

Thanks!
Profile Image
toward the bottom if at all possible. (currently moving but should be done in the next week or so) Im in Kansas and prefer only US shipping.
Profile Image
I didn't get a chance to open it before I left for work, but I'll do a journal entry for the Disney book tonight once I have the BCID.

(Sometimes media mail to Hawaii takes three weeks and sometimes it's much faster. Media mail *from* Hawaii usually takes three weeks, and sometimes four. Go figure.)
Profile Image
Box arrived today and will sort through it tomorrow.
Profile Image
On its way to MoonBeach03 in Tennessee.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.