corner corner Ultralight international bookray: Cross Lines by Maeve Binchy

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Ultralight international bookray: Cross Lines by Maeve Binchy

The cost of shipping is one of the biggest stumbling blocks when it comes to international bookrays. With dimensions of 137 x 107 x 5 mm (5,4 x 4,2 x 0,2 inches), this booklet weighs in at 30 g (1 oz) and simply doesn't present that problem. In fact, it would be possible to send it sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard in a standard envelope. (Of course, slightly more robust packaging would be appreciated -- to help extend the book's life.)

Cross Lines is a Phoenix 60p Paperback that was published in 1996. They managed to squeeze 5 short stories into this small package (A6 size, 56 pages):

Cross Lines
Package Tour
The Consultant Aunt
The Apprenticeship
Excitement

Light, quick reading: a handful of sketches realistic enough to feel real, quirky enough to be interesting. To add something extra, I propose that we pass local tickets unique to our area on as bookmarks. For more detail, visit the book's journal:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10258871

Visit http://tinyurl.com/---/routemapcrosslines for a map of the book's journey so far.

Who would like to join in?

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
The cost of shipping is one of the biggest stumbling blocks when it comes to international bookrays. With dimensions of 137 x 107 x 5 mm (5,4 x 4,2 x 0,2 inches), this booklet weighs in at 30 g (1 oz) and simply doesn't present that problem. In fact, it would be possible to send it sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard in a standard envelope. (Of course, slightly more robust packaging would be appreciated -- to help extend the book's life.)

Cross Lines is a Phoenix 60p Paperback that was published in 1996. They managed to squeeze 5 short stories into this small package (A6 size, 56 pages):

Cross Lines
Package Tour
The Consultant Aunt
The Apprenticeship
Excitement

Light, quick reading: a handful of sketches realistic enough to feel real, quirky enough to be interesting. To add something extra, I propose that we pass local tickets unique to our area on as bookmarks. For more detail, visit the book's journal:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10258871

Visit http://tinyurl.com/routemapcrosslines for a map of the book's journey so far.

Who would like to join in?
Profile Image
Please add me to the list. I am in U.S. (New York) and would ship anywhere.
Profile Image
Also I would like to join. I'm from Finland can ship international.
Profile Image
I'd like to join please. I thought I knew all Maeve Binchy titles, but I've never heard of this particular book. I am in Canada and will ship anywhere. Thank you!

Profile Image
You are all in.

Let's see if there is more interest.

Where are the Maeve Binchy fans? I see she features 201 times on wishlists. Not having read any of her other books, I can't comment on how representative of her work this small collection of short stories is, but I certainly enjoyed them.
Profile Image
Maeve Binchy has never attracted me, but I love short stories and maybe it'll make me want to try a novel! I'm in the UK and will ship anywhere. Thank you!
Profile Image
I've added you to the list, Originalmulli.
And you, Buecherwurm101 (who joined by PM).

6 Links, 6 countries, 3 continents so far.
Profile Image
I'd love to join this bookray as Maeve Binchy is one of my favourite authors. :-) I'd ship anyhwere.
Profile Image
Thank you for the PM, Stoepbrak! I'd love to join! I am in Finland and I will ship anywhere.
Profile Image
I'm interested, I would like to join, Stoepbrak. I'm from Switzerland and I can ship anywhere.
Profile Image
I've added jmsmom, MLA, Malllu and souram. Welcome as part of this bookray.

With 10 participants, we're just about ready to roll. I've decided on a sequence that minimises unnecessary long-distance shipping. The ray remains open, with the sequence of the next batch to be determined in due course.

The first batch:

jmsmom (Newalla, Oklahoma, USA)
ravencat (Lancaster, New York, USA)
Maranlin (Burlington, Ontario, Canada)
Originalmulli (Newcastle Emlyn, Wales, UK)
MLA (Sentrum bydel, Oslo fylke, Norway)
lunatum (Savukoski, Lappi, Finland)
Malllu (Mikkeli, Etelä-Savo, Finland)
Buecherwurm101 (Ludwigshafen (Rhein), Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany)
souram (Genève, Genève, Switzerland)

The latest version will always be available as part of entry 3 of the journal: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10258871
Profile Image
Hi ! I'm interested too. Switzerland as well :-)
It's so light that I would ship anywhere.
Profile Image
More detail about the "local ticket as bookmark" referred to in the opening post:

To add something extra, let's pass on bookmarks with the book. It can't be just any bookmark, though; it has to be a ticket. A theatre or museum ticket, public transport, tourist attraction, nature reserve ... anything unique to your area would be great. If you could upload a picture of the ticket with your release note, even better. That would help turning the online journal into a scrapbook of unique, local tickets, tracking the book's journey.

You are welcome to keep the ticket included by the previous reader, as long as you replace it with a local ticket from your area. If you don't have a ticket to include as bookmark, please forward the one you received from the previous reader on to the next reader.
Profile Image
And we're off!

Mailed by airmail to jmsmom at 11:00 on 2011-11-11, in memory of all who have lost their lives in whatever war on whatever side.

Happy journey, little book!

Local ticket included as bookmark: Table Mountain Cableway. Bought on Worker's Day 2000. It has served me well as bookmark for 11 years, and I trust it will continue to do so for you.
Profile Image

Sign me up.

Too bad I missed the 1st round as its passing right by me. But if it can make it back on round 2. I'm in the US (New York). I generally prefer US shipping but if its as light and tiny as you say, I'm sure I could swing international.
Profile Image
Can I be added? I'd prefer US shipping, but int'l is ok, too.

**US Shippers note** with the tickets enclosed, the book is not acceptable as Media Mail
Profile Image

Media Mail

**US Shippers note** with the tickets enclosed, the book is not acceptable as Media Mail

Not being familiar with US shipping criteria, I am in no position to say. Just a comment, though: We're not talking "tickets" here, just one ticket as bookmark. Surely that should not be a dealbreaker?

Each reader is welcome to keep the ticket that arrives with the book, as long as it is replaced with another for the next reader. In the end, the online journal and uploaded ticket pics will form a virtual scrapbook of unique, local tickets.
Profile Image
Welcome to storm0103, biisbsw and Agrace, as well as vedranaster and Can-Toi-Tete, who PMed me. I've added your names to the next batch.

The sequence of the next batch will be decided in due course, the aim being to minimise unnecessary long-distance shipping without chopping and changing the line-up determined so far.

Profile Image
Welcome to storm0103, biisbsw and Agrace, as well as vedranaster and Can-Toi-Tete, who PMed me. I've added your names to the next batch.

The sequence of the next batch will be decided in due course, the aim being to minimise unnecessary long-distance shipping without chopping and changing the line-up determined so far.

Thanks! That sounds good. As I've said in my PM, I'm in no hurry and have been trying to resist this ray. Rings and rays just keep coming, and my free time now almost seems non existent. But it's a small book, and the list is long, so it works out just fine. Thanks for organizing! :)
Profile Image
I would like to join too :-). I'm in The Netherlands and can ship anywhere.
Profile Image
Please count me in! I'll ship anywhere! Have a nice weekend.
Profile Image
I have added you to the list, BoekenTrol and FallenAngels. Cocodras too, who joined by PM.

The list is growing nicely: 18 participants from 12 countries so far.
Profile Image
Thanks, Stoepbrak! I like the idea of the tickets in the journal entries. I forgot to tell you that I can send the book anywhere.

Profile Image
safely earlier today. I have since finished the book I'm reading so unless something unforseen would come up I'll be reading this either later tonight or tomorrow. Then will have to attempt to come up with a ticket and will get it off as soon as possible.
Profile Image
to ravencat.
Profile Image
Book is on its way to ravencat.
Thanks, jmsmom. That was a quick turnaround.

Something she points out in the JE: nowadays one doesn't come across tickets as frequently as in the past. A printed receipt is often all one gets.

She's right. So, it may be a good idea to start looking out now already for a ticket to upload and pass on to the next participant. And remember, it doesn't have to be a fancy ticket; anything unique to your area will be fine. Even a bus ticket will do, especially if it has the city's name on it. Old tickets are just as welcome.

Maybe we'll look back at this journal one day with fond memories of the days when one could still get the odd ticket here and there.
Profile Image
yesterday and perfect timing as I just finished my current read. Will start on it tonight.
Profile Image
to Maranlin in Ontario,Canada.
Profile Image

Book arrived

I got the book in the mail today from Wales, UK. What a cute, little book! :-)

I usually don't take care of any kind of tickets (except for some Bruce Springsteen consert tickets - one with his autograph - but I'm not sending any of them ), but I got one on my mind. I'll upload a photo when I send the book to the next on the list.
Profile Image

Cross Lines

I have read the book, and I'll be mailing it to Malllu, Finland, tomorrow.
Profile Image
12 Weeks since its departure from Cape Town, South Africa, this little book is on its way to its 7th destination. Thanks to all the participants so far!

The collection of unique, local tickets uploaded with JEs is forming the start of a colourful, online scrapbook.

I'll be scheduling the sequence of the next batch of participants shortly. Who else would like to join this ray?
Profile Image
I'll be scheduling the sequence of the next batch of participants shortly ...

Done. The sequence was determined with the aim to minimise unnecessary long-distance shipping.

The ray remains open, with the sequence of the next batch to be determined in due course. Let me know by PM or respond to this post if you would like to add your name.
Profile Image
I've added you, kobie03. Welcome on board.
Profile Image
I'd be interested in this one. I"m in the US and can ship anywhere, as it is so light.
Profile Image
Welcome, thegoaliegirl. You're in.

That brings the distribution list to a total of 20. Thanks to all of you, this is beginning to look like a respectable bookray. :)
Profile Image
I received the book yesterday and I already read one of the stories.

Thank you for starting this bookray, Stoepbrak! In fact, I suggest that you make it a bookring instead of a bookray. The reason is this:
All the tickets are travelling together with the book! So, you will get a real scrapbook and not just an online one. :)
Profile Image
... I suggest that you make it a bookring instead of a bookray. The reason is this: All the tickets are travelling together with the book! So, you will get a real scrapbook and not just an online one. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Malllu, and for your kind suggestion.

I gave it some thought and decided against it. The book has a long way to go and I don't want it to become bulky. The idea with the bookmarks was that every participant will end up with a reminder of the bookring: something unique from a different part of the world. As long as you upload a picture of the ticket with one of your JEs or ask the next participant to upload yours (as all of you have been doing brilliantly so far), that's great.

So, please everybody: keep as many of the tickets you want, as long as you send on one local ticket (preferably from your own area) on to the next participant.
Profile Image
The first story I read.
It's already a little difficult for me without dictionary cause schooltime an also my last English lesson is nearly 33 years ago.

Please have patient that I need more time for reading.

Regards from Germany, Buecherwurm101
Profile Image
Please have patient that I need more time for reading.

No problem, Buecherwurm101. Take your time.
Profile Image
I will start reading it this evening. Good news, I don't work on May 17.
Profile Image
Thanks for the update, souram. I hope you'll enjoy the book. And thanks for sending it on, Buecherwurm101.

Souram is the 10th participant in this bookray, so we're into double figures. The ray remains open, so if you are interested to join, respond to this thread or send me a PM.
Profile Image
Welcome as part of the bookray to daffodil-2, who contacted me by PM.
Profile Image
Please include me in the next round. Will ship International. Thank you.
Profile Image
You're in, Beitaljawzaa. Thanks for joining the ray.
Profile Image
I finished reading the book. I especially liked "Excitement". I don't tell much to avoid spoiling the book :)
Profile Image
I have received the book yesterday and should be able to send it to the next participant by the end of the week. I really like those short stories :-)
Profile Image
This book is tiny (cheap sending) but the stories are great ! Easy and fast reading !
You will like it !
Profile Image
Maeve Binchy is one of my favorite authors and I have not read this one yet.
Profile Image
You're welcome, tabby-cat-owner. I've added you to the list.
Profile Image
Welcome to clareco16, who joined the ray by PM.

And, since she is from Lima, Peru, it means a 4th continent has just been added to the little book's itinerary!
Profile Image
Can't wait to get the book!
Profile Image
I'd like to enter too. I can ship internationally.
Profile Image
You are welcome, 727. Thanks for joining the ray.
Profile Image
Yay, thanks. And I'm happy to be the first Lithuanian you have contact with :)
Profile Image
If so, can I join? am in USA and can ship internationally
Profile Image
Hi, ngillies. Yes, the ray remains open. Welcome, I've added your name.
Profile Image
I have scheduled the next batch. The sequence was determined with the aim to minimise unnecessary long-distance shipping, while refraining from messing with the sequence established so far.

The ray remains open. The sequence of the next batch will be decided in due course. Let me know by PM or respond to this post if you would like to add your name.
Profile Image
The book arrived in Croatia yesterday, after a mysterious adventure with the Swiss or Croatian post office -- three weeks to get from Switzerland to Croatia, and a Croatian post office postage sticker on the envelope, on top of the original one. Weird stuff. If only books could tell us the whole story of their travels. :)

Anyway... It arrived safely, it'll stay on my shelf till the beginning of July while I do some holidaying, and then travel on promptly to the next reader.
Profile Image
The book arrived in Croatia yesterday, after a mysterious adventure with the Swiss or Croatian post office -- three weeks to get from Switzerland to Croatia, and a Croatian post office postage sticker on the envelope, on top of the original one. Weird stuff. If only books could tell us the whole story of their travels. :)

Anyway... It arrived safely, it'll stay on my shelf till the beginning of July while I do some holidaying, and then travel on promptly to the next reader.

Strange story! Was the envelope opened ?

Profile Image

Strange story! Was the envelope opened ?

Nope, intact, as far as I could tell. The only thing that made me realize something strange was going on was the Croatian postage sticker on top of the original one. Totally weird. :)
Profile Image
I am in Spain, and can ship internationally.
I have just finished a book of short stories by this author, and loved it! :)
Can I join?
Profile Image
One by Mauve Binchy would be great. But maybe it's too late to squeeze me in. Why didn't I see this earlier. :$
Profile Image
It's never too late. I've added you both. Welcome!
Profile Image
I really appreciate it... :)
Profile Image
Most likely on Monday already. :)
I've read it and have the next participants address.
Profile Image
Thanks for sharing.
Profile Image
I have it! :) Thanks for sharing!
Profile Image
I'm in Portugal and really like Maeve Binchy.
Profile Image
Of course you can. I've added your name. Welcome.
Profile Image
The book's gonna leave Madrid. I've just brought to the post office.

Thanks a lot, Stoepbrak. It was delightful! :)
Profile Image
It's Poppy Day again, which means the book has been on the road for a year.

15 Journalers from 11 countries, spread over 3 continents. 30 307 km Travelled (18 832 miles). Thanks to all participants so far! May there be many more.

If you are interested to join, let me know.
Profile Image
Woohoo! That's quite a journey! :)
May it keep travelling for a long long time.
Profile Image

Bump!

Bumping!
Profile Image
Bump!
Profile Image
I am in Switzerland/UK and happy to ship to Europe
Profile Image
Done! Welcome, carmendoran.
Profile Image
and the ray is still open!
Profile Image
I'd love to join. I prefer US only, thanks.
Profile Image
Welcome, Jackie700. I've added your name.

With this particular bookray I prefer not to chop and change the sequence once determined. I'll schedule the next batch in due course, minimising unnecessary long-distance shipping within the batch. I'm sure more BCers from the US would still show interest, which would make it possible for you to ship locally. Anybody out there?
Profile Image
Welcome, Jackie700. I've added your name.

With this particular bookray I prefer not to chop and change the sequence once determined. I'll schedule the next batch in due course, minimising unnecessary long-distance shipping within the batch. I'm sure more BCers from the US would still show interest, which would make it possible for you to ship locally. Anybody out there?

Thanks, Stoepbrak! And you can change my shipping preference to anywhere :-)
Profile Image
... you can change my shipping preference to anywhere

Thanks, Jackie700. That makes things easier, but I'm still positive there will be more interest from the US.
Profile Image
I'm from the Netherlands and can ship anywhere
Profile Image
Welcome, hp7935. I've added your name.
Profile Image
Thanks for hosting. And, as it is so light, I'm happy to ship anywhere.
Profile Image
You're welcome, book-a-neer. And thanks for adding the 5th continent to the book's itinerary!
Profile Image
I'd like to join, I thought I've read everything by her but I haven't heard of this before., I'm in the US, Texas
Profile Image
I've added you, keno-mom. Welcome!
Profile Image
Thank you for 'the marketing', Stoepbrak. I'd love to join, and can ship internationally.
Profile Image
Welcome, Horinkie! I've added your name.

Welcome to MyBookCafe too, who contacted me by PM.
Profile Image
I have scheduled the next batch. The sequence was determined with the aim to minimise unnecessary long-distance shipping, while refraining from messing with the sequence established so far.

The ray remains open. The sequence of the following batch will be decided in due course. Let me know by PM or respond to this post if you would like to add your name.

If we can keep this going, even only for the number of participants already on the list, we'll make it onto the BC Top100! Well done, all, and thanks for taking part.
Profile Image
This little book has arrived in Newfoundland and I'm excited to read it. Love the map you have on the book's page showing the journey. I think we can keep this book travelling, it is small and very lightweight so postage is not much. It is a perfect size for a travelling book so lets try to make that top 100 list.
Profile Image
I've added your name, collin26. Welcome, even more so because you will be the first participant from Asia: the 6th continent for this bookray!
Profile Image
Yes! Thanks! I hope that Cross Lines' visit to Asia will be great one! Just make sure the book is prepared to a hot climate. Talk about Equator! Haha.
Profile Image

Count me in.

Back to BC, so count me in. I'm in Celorico da Beira (Guarda, Portugal).
Profile Image
And I almost read all of it this weekend. I'll try to mail it out Friday.
Profile Image
Welcome to Dei, who joined by PM.
Profile Image
to join if possible. I am in Austria.

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.