corner corner Int'l Bookring "A time of gifts" and sequel "Between the Woods and the Water" by Patrick Leigh Fermor - celebrated travel literature

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Int'l Bookring "A time of gifts" and sequel "Between the Woods and the Water" by Patrick Leigh Fermor - celebrated travel literature

(Edit April 2012)

Since several readers asked for the sequel, it's now also starting as international bookring. :o)

Volume 1: "A time of gifts" by Patrick Leigh Fermor
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8218751
and
Volume 2: "Between the Woods and the Water"
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11064192

Excerpts from the JE:
"Like a tramp, a pilgrim, or a wandering scholar", an eighteen-year-old boy set out, one wet December day in 1933, to walk to Constantinople. This book covers his journey as far as Hungary." The second book continues the voyage to Constantinople.
"More than just a Super-travel-book... it is a reminder that the English language is still a superb instrument in the hands of a writer who has a virtuoso skill with words, a robust aesthetic passion, an indomitable curiosity about people and places, and a rapturous historical imagination" (Philip Toynbee in The Observer)

This book (the first volume) (if not this copy) is also a special book for me; it was gifted to me by a traveller while I was travelling, was a wonderful read, and I would love to share it with you.

I would love the book to travel as far as possible. Please state your postal preference, so I can group the participants for countries if possible.

Please also write me a PM if you want to join, so I won't miss your entry! :o)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
(Edit April 2012)

Since several readers asked for the sequel, it's now also starting as international bookring. :o)

Volume 1: "A time of gifts" by Patrick Leigh Fermor
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8218751/
and
Volume 2: "Between the Woods and the Water"
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11064192

Excerpts from the JE:
"Like a tramp, a pilgrim, or a wandering scholar", an eighteen-year-old boy set out, one wet December day in 1933, to walk to Constantinople. This book covers his journey as far as Hungary." The second book continues the voyage to Constantinople.
"More than just a Super-travel-book... it is a reminder that the English language is still a superb instrument in the hands of a writer who has a virtuoso skill with words, a robust aesthetic passion, an indomitable curiosity about people and places, and a rapturous historical imagination" (Philip Toynbee in The Observer)

This book (the first volume) (if not this copy) is also a special book for me; it was gifted to me by a traveller while I was travelling, was a wonderful read, and I would love to share it with you.

I would love the book to travel as far as possible. Please state your postal preference, so I can group the participants for countries if possible.

Please also write me a PM if you want to join, so I won't miss your entry! :o)
Profile Image

*Bump*

Anybody?
Profile Image

I'm in the UK and can only post to the UK
Profile Image
Great! If you'll pm me your address, I'll send it off right away. Let's hope we find another readiner in the UK, then ;o).
Profile Image

I'm in

When ever possible please squeeze me in too :)
I live in EU and prefer to ship within Europe.
Thank you!
Profile Image
who could take over from you, abilgailann, in the UK, in case nobody else there is interested in the bookring, so the book can now start its voyage. It's going to the post tomorrow.

Anybody else interested?
Profile Image

Me please!

I'm in South Africa and can send anywhere.
Profile Image
Profile Image
Anybody else interested?
Profile Image
Yes please, I would like to join this. I've been wanting to read this for a while, but decided not to join your bookring as I have so much else to read. If I'd known he was still alive and in his nineties I might have signed up earlier... Anyway, nothing like reading an obituary to remind one of something like this.
Profile Image
and is looking for further readers.
ETMadrid, I'm sorry saw your answer just today, I'll be adding you to the list as soon as I know your shipping preferences.
Profile Image
Thanks Neckarhex for your message - I think you will have got my reply.
Profile Image
despite the fact that I have tons of other books I should be reading, too. I would prefer to ship US/Canada, but am willing to ship internationally if necessary. It sounds like a fascinating read.
Profile Image
If you still accept new participants, I would love to join. I`m in Bulgaria and prefer Europe shipping but if necessary, I would mail also worldwide.
Profile Image
Minesayn, I put you at the end of the list for the moment. I think it's more practical to have the book travelling Europe as long as there are interested participants, and then crosses the pond. If necessary, it can travel via myself to the U.S.A. when it's your turn. Since this might be some time, I will conctact you as soon as you're getting close, ok?
Profile Image
Please could I join too? I'm in Ireland, but will ship anywhere. I hear about this book and it sounds so interesting.

Profile Image
I'm in France and prefer shipping to Europe but intl is possible.
Thank you.
Profile Image
I'm interested in reading this book. Can I still participate in this Ring ?
I'm located in Switzerland but I'll ship within Europe only.
Have a great day !
Profile Image
How heavy is this book?
Profile Image
How heavy is this book?

I don't know how much it weighs but I have seen it in bookshops and can say it is a pretty regular sized paperback - not big and chunky as some are these days.
Profile Image
I need to know if it weighs under 250 grams with packaging, or under 500 grams to decide if I will post internationally or just locally. (Australian postage is expensive, often much more than the cost of buying the book). Perhaps it could be weighed on kitchen scales. I do that with my bookrays now, as it's good for people to know. No surprises when you are watching your budget.
Profile Image
I am in the UK and will post anywhere
Profile Image
If and when this makes it to the US. I would prefer to ship to the US.
Profile Image
Hello - just thought I'd let you know that I've been a bit delayed getting to this but am loving every word!
Profile Image
and will now travel to Ireland. Any more readers in Europe interested before it travels over the pond to the U.S.?
Profile Image
I just finished the book and would recommend it to everyone interested in travel non-fiction.

I was wondering if you knew of a bookring or ray for the sequel?
Profile Image

There's nothing at all... I did try contacting someone - I forget who exactly - who had maybe offered it as a ray or some such, but it is lost and not available. So we need to be on the look out for another copy.

Profile Image
I just finished the book and would recommend it to everyone interested in travel non-fiction.

Thanks bookmaniac for offering the book next to me, I am sending you my address now.

Who is next on the list after me?
Profile Image
Right now, the next on the list is minnesayn in the U.S. if nobody else in Europe wants to read it.

As to the question about the sequel: I have it, but I haven't read it myself yet and want to keep my own copy with me ;o). But I've just ordered another copy second-hand, and will make a ring from it as soon as it arrives here. I will ask all readers of "A time of gifts" if they're interested.
Profile Image
Right now, the next on the list is minnesayn in the U.S. if nobody else in Europe wants to read it.

As to the question about the sequel: I have it, but I haven't read it myself yet and want to keep my own copy with me ;o). But I've just ordered another copy second-hand, and will make a ring from it as soon as it arrives here. I will ask all readers of "A time of gifts" if they're interested.

Thanks Neckarhex, I'll send "A Time of Gifts" on to minnesayn in the US, when I've read the book.

Don't worry about the sequel, I'm sure most of us are in no hurry to read it. We will find a book or two to read in the meantime.....
Profile Image
I've just ordered another copy second-hand, and will make a ring from it as soon as it arrives here.

Wow Neckarhex that's fantastic. I would of course like to be included (though not necessarily first in the list due to the number of books I know to be soon headed my way!).

Profile Image
Neckarhex, that`s really very kind of you! I would like to be included in the ring for the sequel!
Profile Image
leamhliom, since nobody else wants to read it in Europe for now, I think you can send it away to minnesayn now.

Profile Image
I've just edited the first entry with the new info. I'm going to PM all of the participants of the first volume if they want to read the sequel as well. According to the interested readers, I might change the itinerary a bit to allow for postal preferences, since I don't have a helping hand for sending on in the UK any longer.
Profile Image
Just to say that I'm reading "Between the Woods and the Water" now though not very quickly! I shall keep going and of course write a comment when I finish, but I'm sorry I'm delaying things a bit.
Profile Image
I would love to read these (and am in no hurry, thanks to my TBR stack). So, when/if the ring makes it to the US, I'd like to be added. I can only ship within the US.

Thanks!
:)
Profile Image
but we will need somebody else in the US participating and ready to ship to Canada for making it work.
Profile Image
Just let me know if you get more US people; if not, don't worry about it!

:)
Profile Image
in the sequel, did you get them? I got answers from boocmaniac, Colombina and minesayn, but nobody else.
Profile Image
in the sequel, did you get them? I got answers from boocmaniac, Colombina and minesayn, but nobody else.

I meant to pm you. Please also include me!

I'll send on "A TIme of Gifts" to minesayn when I have read it. Though it hasn't arrived yet. There is no hurry though, I have plenty to read, and I think it has to travel a distance to get to me...

Profile Image
and would really only like to ship within Europe if these head back this way. I am in absolutely no rush at all, but these look very intriguing. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Profile Image
Im in the UK and happy to post wherever..

Looking forward to receiving them...
Profile Image
Just to report that "A Time of Gifts" has safely arrived in Ireland all the way from Bulgaria. It truly is a special travelling book.

I hope to start reading it this evening.
Profile Image
but it took some time getting back to everybody and re-organising the lists a little to accommodate everybody's sending preferences. Keeping the books on one continent for a longer time doesn't seem to work, but well, they are travelling books - so travel they shall! ;o)
"Between the Woods and the Water" is going out on Monday - I hope you enjoy it as much as the first volume!
Profile Image
Just to say that Artemis Cooper's new book on Patrick Leigh Fermor is book of the week on Radio 4 this week, should anyone wish to learn about his writings (though I recommend reading them directly!) http://www.bbc.co.uk/---/b01nx5yh
Profile Image
There was a nice piece about this travel writer on this morning's (or yesterday's as it is past midnight) Today programme on Radio 4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/---/b04kf7ff It was at 8.20am so that's 2h20 into the programme.
Profile Image
and is soon looking for new readers!
The next reader on the list is in the U.S. but can ship nationally only, so we're particularly looking for other readers in the U.S. who can ship to other countries.

The second volume is following with 6-7 more readers to go, but of course is available for more readers as well.
Profile Image
Having read the first, A Time of Gifts, I'd be interested in reading the second... and shipping within Europe only, please, if that's an option.
Thanks.
Profile Image
I asked by PM when I released the bookring. I changed your shipping preferences, but you were going to ship to the UK anyway.
Profile Image
To the attention of those who already read the first two books - I`m offering a bookring with the last, third book "The Broken Road: Travels from Bulgaria to Mount Athos". You can sign in here:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/511377/
Profile Image
To the attention of those who already read the first two books - I`m offering a bookring with the last, third book "The Broken Road: Travels from Bulgaria to Mount Athos". You can sign in here:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/511377/

I've just finished it - thank you so much for this opportunity!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.