corner corner Medicine Chest Bookbox II - REVIVED

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Medicine Chest Bookbox II - REVIVED

A couple of people have asked if I would send this box around again. I really would like to, because I had fun putting it together, and I got some terrific books back. But first, I want to get a sense of how many people are interested.

For new participants, the theme is any aspect of medicine: nonfiction, case studies, research & history, stories set in hospitals or with medical professionals, medical issues, veterinarians, sf future medicine, etc. Please, no Harlequins or diet/exercise.

If you think you might like to sign up for this, please post here, with your suggestion of how many books you'd like in the box, and your preference for the ratio of fiction to nonfiction. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome, too!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
A couple of people have asked if I would send this box around again. I really would like to, because I had fun putting it together, and I got some terrific books back. But first, I want to get a sense of how many people are interested.

For new participants, the theme is any aspect of medicine: nonfiction, case studies, research & history, stories set in hospitals or with medical professionals, medical issues, veterinarians, sf future medicine, etc. Please, no Harlequins or diet/exercise.

If you think you might like to sign up for this, please post here, with your suggestion of how many books you'd like in the box, and your preference for the ratio of fiction to nonfiction. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome, too!
Profile Image
I think I would like to play, though don't know if I have any books that would work at the moment. So far the only book boxes I have done have had about 35 or so in them -- of course, you could also do this as a VBB, although that might be more work for you. My personal preference of fiction vs. non is either 3:2 or 1:1. Thanks!
Profile Image

Yes, please!

I loved this book box first time around! I am an avid nonfiction reader, so I'd love to see lots of that in there, but having said that, I do enjoy medical fiction as well. The Girls by Lori Lansens comes to mind as a fantastic fiction book I added to this book last year, for example. I'd say 15-20 books is a good size, enough variety without being too heavy. I'm expecting that these books are trade paperback and hardback though. If they are mass market, which tend to be much less desirable to me, then a higher number is needed to fill the box. In any case, I'd love to be in!!
Profile Image
In fact, I have picked up a few books w the intention to put them into this box last round but didn't get to read them before the book arrives.
I'd prefer more non fiction but I think 1:1 sounds fine. I prefer a box less than 20 lbs, or it's hard to carry to the post office. So I guess that translates to about 20 books.
Profile Image
but like 6of8, I don't know that I'd have much to change out (I can think of only 1 non-fiction that I have right now that fits), but my immediate take on "medicine" might be too literal. Would you give us some examples of (fictions, particularly) in you earlier box? Like, would an SF whose story is based in nano-technology be appropriate? Or a book of James Herriots? Ta!
Profile Image
An emphatic 'YES' to both your suggestions, Erishkigal, especially the nano-technology, or any other extrapolations of the forms medicine may take in the future. And please don't focus too narrowly on 'medicine.' The books I enjoyed the most used a medical situation as a starting point, and went off in other interesting directions. Some examples:

- My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult (kidney transplant, and family dynamics)
- Passage, by Connie Willis (a hypothetical medical discovery, and the desperate drive to communicate)
- The Double Bind, by Chris Bohjalian (mental illness and literature, fabulous book!)
- The Constant Gardner, by John Le Carre (pharmaceutical trials, and corporate and governmental corruption)
- The Rainmaker, by John Grisham (insurance company denies coverage, great courtroom scenes)

Does that give you enough of an idea? Once you start looking, it's surprisingly easy to find find books with a medical tie-in. Oh wow, how about Dorothy Sayers' Have His Carcase? Probably a lot of other murder mysteries as well.

Anyway, Erishkigal, I hope you decide to join. It will take me a few weeks to assemble all the books, so this may not get out until early March. And if you have suggestions or requests, DrSlump612 will search for them on his weekly visit to the Goodwill store.
Profile Image
OK, count me in~ glad it's not starting for a month, but I probably still need to be down the line, to give me time to read books that will fit :-) My already-read appropriate books are preparing to head out in my SF bookbox, but I'm sure there are others on the mountain. I've been digging with this in mind, and located a medical mystery and two possible non-fictions~~all of which have to be read. (and right now I have 3ring books to be read before anything else).

Thanks for helping me see what is possible for this!
Profile Image
I am with Erishkigal -- now that I can see some of the possibilities in this forum, I am definitely in. But it will take me a little while to get some of the things that will work read, so I, too, would like to be a little further down the list. Thanks!
Profile Image
I`d love to join! I have some books that would be great in this box :)
I am in Canada and would be happy to ship back to the US. Thank you
Profile Image
I would also join if the box is coming to Canada. I could also ship to the U.S.
Profile Image
I am in Texas. Would love to join. I am happy to ship to US/Canada, if needed I'll ship international. I enjoy fiction and non fiction. 1:1 ratio is fine. Frankly, I 'm happy either way. Count me in...
Profile Image
This is nearly ready to go, and I expect to be able to start if off on March 1, to celebrate American Red Cross month. Here's the order so far:

Minerva 101 - Alberta
Rhonder - Alberta
Jlautner - California
Erishkigal - Utah
LovesOU - Texas
Azuki - Florida
6of8 - Maryland
Ri - Ohio

I've tried to keep this geographically logical, to minimize shipping cost and time, while respecting people's requests for time to get their books read. If any of you want to change this, post here or PM me.

The box will have about 20 books, half fiction and half non. I'll post the starting titles here if you like, but isn't it more fun to have some surprises?
Profile Image
I am very excited!
Thank you for the update, JudySlump612 - this sounds like it is going to be a GREAT bookbox :)
Profile Image
If not, I'd rather be near the end of the queue as I have plenty of books that would qualify, but I also still have to read them (isn't that always the case {pun intended}?)...I'm in Ohio for what it is worth...thanks!
Profile Image
...I would like to join. I live in Delaware and am willing to ship anywhere.
Profile Image
I'm flattered at your interest, and quite happy to add you. Minesayn, since you're also in Ohio you'll be after Ri, and sailorarby, you'll be between 6of8 and Ri, so you'll both have plenty of time to get some books lined up (and read). Here's the new order:

Minerva 101 - Alberta
Rhonder - Alberta
Jlautner - California
Erishkigal - Utah
LovesOU - Texas
Azuki - Florida
6of8 - Maryland
Sailorarby - Delaware
Ri - Ohio
Minesayn - Ohio
Profile Image
judy, Do you still have room for someone else. I'd like equal fiction to non fiction, I'm a Palmer and Cook fan. I'm also wondering if anyone would like newer medical textbooks added.
I'm in Texas
Profile Image
judy, Do you still have room for someone else. I'd like equal fiction to non fiction, I'm a Palmer and Cook fan. I'm also wondering if anyone would like newer medical textbooks added.
I'm in Texas

welcome to the box and glad that you will go in front of me to give me more reading time!
Personally I don't think textbooks are usually included in bookboxes. I like non fiction but I think I have my share of textbook readings in my younger days... and they do tend to be very heavy. But if others are interested maybe you can do a direct RABCK? Of course, Dr. Judy has the last word.
Profile Image
I'd like equal fiction to non fiction, I'm a Palmer and Cook fan. I'm also wondering if anyone would like newer medical textbooks added.

Sorry I forgot to answer this. Azuki is right, what I'd look for in this box is something fun to read, and it would be quite an unusual textbook to meet that standard. You could put one in just for variety (being mindful of shipping weight) and we'll see if anyone takes it.

Also, speaking of variety, remember that I intended the term 'medicine' to be loose enough to bring in some books with unexpected aspects. So don't go too heavily on any one author, or even genre. I'll put a note about this in the journal, as well.

Again, thank you all!
Profile Image
I'll leave the textbook out, i fiund a charity that sends medical medical textbooks to parts of the world that have them in short supply. I'm really looking forward to the box
Profile Image
Judy, if you're still adding people, would you be willing to add me to the list? I'll need to do some reading so I'd like to be not too close to the top of the list...but I definitely enjoyed the last round.

Right now I'm prepping for a mass release our local group is planning for next month at the Hawaii Book and Music Festival, so all of my current reading is being reserved for that...*next* month I can start reading medical-ish books for this box. :)
Profile Image
Glad to see this will be making the rounds again and I have plenty of Post-convention time to get more books read to add to it! :) Thanks, JudySlump!

ETA: I just noticed that several of us (azuki, 6of8, JusySlump, me) will all be at the convention together! It will be nice to meet you all in real life. :)
Profile Image
Thank you JudySlump612! I am going to take a couple days to look through the books and pick which ones I am going to add. I will be able to get this off to Rhonder within the next week.
Profile Image
Keno-mom, thanks for your interest. Since you're in Texas, you'll go between LovesOU and azuki. The complete list is posted in the box's journal.

Ri, I'm looking forward to meeting you too - azuki was at the Kansas City UnConvention with us, but 6of8 will also be new. Maybe I can grab a stack of Red Cross blood donor stickers to award to the bookbox members.

And Minerva101, we're especially honored to include the participation of the True North strong and free. I can't wait to get YOUR science fiction bookbox - I have good books saved up and waiting.
Profile Image
I will have it in the mail to Rhonder tomorrow :)
Great bookbox!
Profile Image
Canada Post tracking # 0056 4800 0078 3759
Profile Image
This was a great bookbox! Lots of choices! It is going in the mail tomorrow to jlautner.
Profile Image
I would love to be added to this! Am in Germany but APO (which is US postal rates) does work.
Profile Image
Not least because you buttonholed me at the convention {grin}!
Profile Image
i know you'll have something for this box! ; )
Profile Image
I'm very happy to welcome new members to this circuit. Here's the current list:

Minerva 101 - Alberta
Rhonder - Alberta
Jlautner - California <-- box is on its way here
Erishkigal - Utah
LovesOU - Texas
Keno-mom - Texas
Azuki - Florida
6of8 - Maryland
Sailorarby - Delaware
GoryDetails - New Hampshire
Ri - Ohio
Minesayn - Ohio
Proseknitic - APO Germany
Hyphen8 - Hawaii
JudySlump612 - Minnesota

Thank you, minesayn, for graciously agreeing to send the box overseas. Hyphen8, the box is due on the west coast for jlautner any day now, since Rhonder mailed it a week ago. You asked for time to prepare (and you know how thrilled I am by people who actually read the books!) so I put you at the end instead of after jlautner, who always handles boxes promptly. Since the box will be making a long trip back from Germany, it might as well make a really long trip to Hawaii. If you'd rather be up after jlautner, PM me, and I'll be glad to move you up.

Thanks everybody! Both Minerva101 and Rhonder put really good books in the box, so the quality is going to be very high for you all. :-)
Profile Image
I promise to start reading my books for this box next month. :)
Profile Image
I replaced Fiction with Fiction, Non-Fiction with Non-Fiction.
Delivery Confirmation 0310 2640 0002 2054 2755

This is a great box, Judy, thanks for organizing it and including me!
Profile Image
but if it is, can I join? what an awesome topic for a bookbox! I'm in australia, but will ship to anywhere.
Profile Image
First, books can get pretty expensive to mail. The cost to me of sending one medium-size volume overseas is at least US$10, and what the cost for a box of twenty or more would be I shudder to imagine. There are plenty of international rings and Virtual Book Boxes (VBB) where you pay only to mail books you actually want to read. You can exchange lots of fun books that way at much less cost.

Second, your profile shows that in over two years you have registered only five books, and released only three. Sad to say, there have been enough disappointments with lost and stalled bookrings and bookboxes that most organizers now are only accepting members who have already proved their good faith by a reasonable amount of releases. So in fairness to all the current participants who trust me to make sure that their books get safely circulated, I couldn't add you at this point.

But you can fix this! Register and release lot of books. Wild releases are fast and cost nothing. For controlled releases, you and I can do some swapping. I'd love to get some Aussie books, especially anything by Shane Maloney. If you're interested, send me a PM with what you'd like in exchange. And when you pay the postage, you'll find out for yourself why book boxes are rarely international. <g> You can also start your own bookbox or bookring - a great way to build your profile and prove what a reliable BookCrosser you are.

So thanks for your interest and kind words, innocencelost! I look forward to finding books registered by you floating around in the future.

Profile Image
Ops it seems like I am next and I haven't started reading all the books I want to put in!

Last time I picked up some titles to put in the boxes, but turns out that people seem to like the ones I've read and put in, but hate the ones that I bought for the theme but never read. I feel bad about it, so looks like it's better I put in titles I do actually read and like.
Profile Image
Yes of course! Changing the shipping order is easy, and everyone will have more fun if the box reaches them at a time when it's an intriguing opportunity, rather than an irritating burden. Here's the proposed new order:

Minerva 101 - Alberta (done)
Rhonder - Alberta (done)
Jlautner - California (done)
Erishkigal - Utah (done)
LovesOU - Texas (done)
Keno-mom - Texas <-- box is here 6-11-11
6of8 - Maryland
Sailorarby - Delaware
GoryDetails - New Hampshire
Azuki - Florida
Ri - Ohio
Minesayn - Ohio
Proseknitic - APO Germany
Hyphen8 - Hawaii
JudySlump612 - Minnesota

Keno-mom, let's wait a few days to see if anyone else wants to change their position, then go ahead and PM whoever winds up after you. Thanks!

Azuki, the rest of your message implied that you feel an obligation to read the books you put in, and I admit to that preference. But we all know that (1) a BookCrosser who takes X books out of a box will honorably want to put X books back in but may not have time to read that many; and (2) tastes differ, and a book you don't care to read may be greeted with screams of delight by another reader in the circuit.

So to everyone: I hope you will read and journal at least some of the books you put in, because a Journal Entry from someone who has actually read the book adds hugely to the interest of finding it. But please don't beat yourselves up over this. Have fun, and enjoy the bookbox!
Profile Image
Thanks for moving me down!

I just feel bad that last time so many of them were not your cup of tea! I remember I had put in a few nonfiction I've read, and then thinking of most readers seem to prefer fiction, I found some to put in. I guess as I do not read them to begin with, I am not very good at picking out the good ones. I feel bad you ended up w some many NMCOT!!
Profile Image
Sailorarby hasn't been heard from in a while - I hope nothing serious is wrong! But in any case, with JudySlump612's permission, I'm going to re-start it. Have contacted next-in-line Azuki for an address, and hope to get it moving again within a few days!

[I'm going with the most recent mailing-order post ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7244007 ); Judy, if the order should be different, please let me know!]
Profile Image
I got the box today from LovesOU. Wonderful collection. I'm taking out"How doctors Think" and "The Demon in the Freezer" , I'm trying to decide what to replace them with. Does anyone on the list after me like large print, if so I have two that I can add, but of course they weigh more, so please let me know. Thanks
Profile Image
This box arrived last night and I made my selections, which was not easy. I traded straight across, 3 non-fiction and 2 fiction, and hope that others will enjoy these books as much as I did.

I think I have sailorarby's address -- if not, I will send a PM. Hope to get this out in the mail on Saturday.
Profile Image
Mailed off this book box this morning to sailorarby in Delaware. Delivery Confirmation # 0310 2010 0001 1988 0390.

Thanks for letting me play -- I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the books I selected.
Profile Image
Received today and now am sorting through the books I want and the books I have to offer.
Profile Image
Did you get my PM? Thanks!
Profile Image
This is one of my favorite book boxes! I was just looking at my shelves today thinking about what to read next to have ready for this box. Yeah!
Profile Image
The box seems to have stalled with sailorarby, who has not responded to PM's or the ISO Forum thread. GoryDetails, that BookCrossingest of BookCrossers, has gallantly come to the rescue and will be restocking and restarting the box. Thanks to you all for your patience, and for Gory - all together now -

Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray!
HIP HIP HOORAY!
Profile Image
Hip Hip HOORAY indeed!

Gory, although the box has already passed through my hands, I do have another I could contribute if that would help. Just PM me your address and I will pop it in the mail to you.
Profile Image
Oh, I hate when that happens to a book...but when it's a whole box, it's really too bad. It happened to one of mine once, although there was a valid reason for it.

Hooray for Gory, indeed!
Profile Image
I sent out the replacement bookbox today, to azuki in Florida - hope it manages to get there without running into the hurricane! Delivery confirmation #: 03062400000075210435, so the box's progress can be tracked on http://www.usps.com .

I included a tiny Peanuts book (Lucy does spend some time playing doctor, after all!) as the bookbox journal ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8519014/ ), with the remaining mailing order and a list of the books I put in. [If you'd rather be surprised, don't scroll down below the mailing order!]
Profile Image

thanks Gory!

I look forward to a medical chest of blood and gore!! LOL

I Just hope all is well w Sailorarby. He has been a BCer for a while and he is quite active on BookObsessed too. I'd give him rating higher than our government... He hasn't shown up on BO since early July either. I am sure he won't stall the box if he can help it. I remember on BO he mentioned that someone stole his books at work, and he had to replace them so he could send the owed books out to BCers.
Profile Image

Box moving again!

The box was sent out to Minesayin today!

Delivery confirmation number: 0310 2010 0001 7934 3033

Profile Image
Was received and sent on...in fact, it has arrived!
Profile Image
And I'm finding way too many interesting things I want to take out! :p

I'll try to get it moving again soon.
Profile Image
Thanks for another great box! (And thank you again Gory for coming to the rescue.)
Profile Image
Wow, that was super fast for media mail! Must be a holdover from the PO trying to be efficient for Christmas.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.