corner corner Young Adult Bookbox Crossover: Searching For Boxes!

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Young Adult Bookbox Crossover: Searching For Boxes!

Well there aren't that many young adult bookcrossers or bookboxes around so my friend siana1o1 and I figured that we would start another one up for the few of us who are here or who enjoy young adult books. To join please post here and then PM me with your address. Depending on the sign up rate we will send the boxes out in a week or two. Note how it says boxes. Both siana1o1 and I will start a box of books one of us will start at the top of the list and one at the bottom, as we know it's no fun when you are waiting for a box and are last on the list. Rules to follow;

1. Please put in the same number of books that you take out, you can add more which would be wonderful.
2. Journal all the books that you take out right away.
3. Send the box on within 2 weeks of getting it.
4. If the box is looking worse for the wear please replace it as we don't want to lose any books or the box on it's journey.
5. If you do not hold up your commitments to boxes please do not join in, we don't want the other participants to have to wait for weeks for you to send the box on.
6. Have fun!

If you need more clarification please contact either one of us. The basic concept of the box though is to have two bookboxes going so that people don't have to wait as long. One box will start at the bottom of participants, and one at the top, somewhere the will crossover and then my box will end with siana1o1 and hers will end with me.

Thanks for joining!

Shipping Order-One box will start at the bottom of the list and the other will start at the top, try to check and see where the box you receive has been before so that it is not sent back to the person who just sent it to you.

Me (z3CarGaragez)
hyphen8
DK1010
galleycat
Secretariat
Minerva101
megami-no-ushi
kplatypus
OboeChica
sromano93
affinity4books
izzy5000
rubyrebel
Then Back To Me

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Well there aren't that many young adult bookcrossers or bookboxes around so my friend siana1o1 and I figured that we would start another one up for the few of us who are here or who enjoy young adult books. To join please post here and then PM me with your address. Depending on the sign up rate we will send the boxes out in a week or two. Note how it says boxes. Both siana1o1 and I will start a box of books one of us will start at the top of the list and one at the bottom, as we know it's no fun when you are waiting for a box and are last on the list. Rules to follow;

1. Please put in the same number of books that you take out, you can add more which would be wonderful.
2. Journal all the books that you take out right away.
3. Send the box on within 2 weeks of getting it.
4. If the box is looking worse for the wear please replace it as we don't want to lose any books or the box on it's journey.
5. If you do not hold up your commitments to boxes please do not join in, we don't want the other participants to have to wait for weeks for you to send the box on.
6. Have fun!

If you need more clarification please contact either one of us. The basic concept of the box though is to have two bookboxes going so that people don't have to wait as long. One box will start at the bottom of participants, and one at the top, somewhere the will crossover and then my box will end with siana1o1 and hers will end with me.

Thanks for joining!

Shipping Order-One box will start at the bottom of the list and the other will start at the top, try to check and see where the box you receive has been before so that it is not sent back to the person who just sent it to you.

Me (z3CarGaragez)
hyphen8
DK1010
galleycat
Secretariat
Minerva101
megami-no-ushi
kplatypus
OboeChica
sromano93
affinity4books
izzy5000
rubyrebel
Then Back To Me
Profile Image

bump

Profile Image
hopefully we can get some more participants
Profile Image

OK

If young adult includes young teen, I'll go in. I can ship USA only.
Profile Image

I enjoy sprinkling in a YA book every fifth or sixth book for a change of pace. Not to mention, of course, that there are some really good YA books out these days.
Profile Image
But I'd also like to know how much shipping is likely to be?
Profile Image
i know that im not planning to make my box very big so it should be under 5 dollars i would expect
Profile Image
California, US/Canada shipping please.
Profile Image
if Secretariat is willing to post to Canada. I am happy to send it back to the US. Thank you :)
Profile Image

Interested

I am interested as long as the shipping remains US only. I am in Ohio.
Profile Image
When will you be sending them out?

It's always helpful to know these things so I can plan my postage expenses...
Profile Image
im hoping within the next 2 weeks or so!
Profile Image
I'm interested! I can only do US shipping at this time. I'm in Texas.
Thanks!
Profile Image
I've never done a bookbox before but would love to join this one. California, can ship anywhere if necessary but would prefer US.
Profile Image
I had no idea that there were this many participants and I'm sorry that this has not gone out yet! I would love to get the box out within the next week or two and it should NOT be any longer than that! Thanks so much for your patience! Also another announcement is that due to the end of school as well as monetary constraints there will still be two boxes, but they will both start and end with me, I will start one at the bottom and one at the top, the only thing is there is one person from Canada who is participating and I have one participant who is willing to send to her and another who may (kplatypus). If you would be willing to ship to Canada please let me know as it would be nice to include the member, kplatypus if you are unable to ship there please let me know, if that's alright, that would be great! Thanks so much!

Tentative Shipping Order

Me (z3CarGaragez)
hyphen8
guinaveve
affinity4books
DK1010
galleycat
Secretariat
Minerva101
kplatypus
OboeChica
rubyrebel
Then Back To Me
Profile Image
Media mail usually takes about 3 weeks to get to & from Hawaii, but I will be away from home the last week of June and the first week of July, so if you're concerned, it's ok if you want to move me down in the lists. :)
Profile Image
yes they will be media mail
Profile Image
It hasn't gotten here yet. :(
Profile Image
im sorry, it hasnt been sent yet, i keep wanting to send them but then people borrow the books im going to put in and i have to try and build up on them again, its starting to frustrate me!
Profile Image
No problem; as long as it hasn't gotten lost. :)

About how many books are you putting in?
Profile Image
there are about 15 in one and i think 17 in the other
Profile Image
Just saw the post regarding international shipping - I'm still willing to ship to Canada if necessary - and the box isn't too huge/heavy!
Profile Image
..I should be home by the time it arrives. :)
Profile Image

bump

Profile Image

bump

Profile Image

bump

Profile Image
Profile Image
I know that it's been far too long and that the boxes should have gone out awhile ago but they are finally going out! Packaged them up today and they should be in the mail tomorrow on the way to hyphen8 and rubyrebel!
Profile Image
This sounds good to me!
Profile Image
Yes, if it's not too late can I slide in next to Minerva101? We see each other every month at the Calgary bookcrossing meetup.
Profile Image
Im new here and just uploading books to my profile, may I join this? I have so many YA books that I need out. I dont mind being last and sending to the original owner of the thread. let me know.. thanks
Profile Image
there was a problem with one of the boxes so the first one went out (the one that started at the top of the list) and the second will go out hopefully within the next two days or so
Profile Image
Got the second one back in the mail yesterday! Shipping order is in the original post just follow it down or up depending on what box you get! HAVE FUN!
Profile Image
Media mail to & from Hawaii usually takes about 3 weeks. :s
Profile Image
Well I'm glad that you said something because I was starting to get a little worried. Hopefully it gets there safe and sound!
Profile Image
i just got the box today
Profile Image
This box is the one working down from the top of the list - it looks like it's supposed to go to guinaveve next.

It arrived with 15 books in it:

Stuart Little
glimmerglass
The Other Ones
The Door in the Wall
The Supernaturalist
Baby-Sitter's Summer Vacation (Baby-Sitters Club)
Pippi Longstocking
Go Eat Worms! (Goosebumps)
Cheaper By the Dozen
The Alphabetical Hookup List
No Body's Perfect
Vampire Academy
Dangerous Love (Sweet Valley High)
Jason & Kyra
No Time To Cry

I'll try to make my choices and get it back out in the next week or so.
Profile Image
Sent a PM to affinity4books

--

Taking out:

Pippi Longstocking
Cheaper By the Dozen
glimmerglass
Goosebumps: Go Eat Worms!
The Other Ones
No Time To Cry
The Supernaturalist
Profile Image
Sent a PM to DK1010
Profile Image
deleted the people who asked to be skipped
Profile Image

replied

Just now, replied to PM from hyphen8.
I'd love this box.
Profile Image
Putting in:

Dread Locks
The Kitchen Boy
Fever 1793
Sarah Bishop
How I Live Now
Nervous Conditions
My Worst Date
Fallen Angels
Tom's Midnight Garden
..plus some YA booklists & bookmarks for box participants.
Profile Image
it should be sent today
Profile Image

Hey

i never got this box. Was I skipped?
Profile Image

RE: Hey

rubyrebel said she PMed you and you didn't respond so you did get skipped, I'll move you in the list so that you'll get them
Profile Image

ok thanks!

PMs are not reliable, I never got what she sent. Please email me at Izzy5000@live.com for my address for whenever it's me turn.
Thanks!
Profile Image

arrived

Box arrived today from hyphen8. This box is the one working down from the top of the list.
I'll move it along later this week.
Thank you both z3CarGaragez and hyphen8.

So far, we are choosing to keep:
The Alphabetical Hookup List
Baby-Sitter's Summer Vacation (Baby-Sitters Club)
Fever 1793
The Kitchen Boy
How I Live Now
may keep: Nervous Conditions

Putting in:
Dogs Don't Tell Jokes
The Boxes
The Ravenmaster's Secret
Stacey and the Mystery of Stoneybrook (Baby-Sitter's Club)
Welcome to Dead House (Goosebumps)

I needed a bigger box, should be able to mail tomorrow (10/21).

Profile Image
Yesterday, I sent the box to galleycat.
Profile Image
I'll sift throught it tonight and contact Secretariat as the next 'Crosser on the list. Thanks, DK1010. I'll move it forward fast.
Profile Image

me!

is it too late to join in?
Profile Image
Galleycat met me this morning to turn it over. On a run through I'm going to remove:

Fallen Angels

I'll replace it with:

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower

I'll contact minerva101 for her address and get this off to her ASAP.

Note to z3CarGaragez: It would have been easier if you had registered this bookbox for us to journal (as well as journaling the books we take). Then you could leave instructions and notes for us. In the box are a series of "best books for Young Adult" flyers (which I'm assuming are informational for all) and lots of bookmarks. I don't know if the book marks are intended for us to take one or are intended for you or whether I'm to add to either or both. Nothing I've seen in this thread helps in that regard either. All of that could have been added to your notes when you registered or added to as things about the box changed, and each of us would be able to put our notes in as well. I'm going to see if I can add to the "best books" and I have several bookmarks to add.

Just my sugggestion to make bookboxes more userfriendly.

Thanks for including me in this bookbox.
Profile Image
...for whoever wants them, and I mentioned it in my post about sending out the box:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6976219

Sorry I didn't mention it in a separate thread so it would stand out more.

Regarding registering the box: I'd like to point out that the BC powers that be specifically ask that book boxes *not* be registered since they're not books - according to question #57 in the FAQs it's against site policy (this is under "terminology" - "Now tell me about Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes."). Of course, it's really up to the box organizer, and some people do choose to register their book boxes anyway....

If the box itself is not registered, people often include a registered journal (it could just be an inexpensive notepad) or other book clearly marked for traveling with the box. Technically a journal that people write in makes the box ineligible for media mail so if I get one of those I bury the journal at the bottom of the box to make it less obvious in case the box gets opened/inspected. I believe a packing list is allowed, so when I started a box I marked the journal "packing list" on the front.

If the BCID is attached to a regular book there's always a chance that it might be taken out by mistake, but journals can get separated from their boxes too. In my experience most of the time a journal works: I think it's fun to see what people have written there, and I've seen postcards and other things taped into the pages as well.

Another option is to use a forum thread as z3CarGaragez has done; this works as long as people update it (and so I apologize again for not being clear enough about the added things I put into the box).

I like it when the original thread either tells you to follow along in the thread or gives you a link to the included book/journal. That way, when I get a beat-up box I know whether I need to find the BCID written somewhere on the box before replacing it or if I'm supposed to dig out the journal instead. The suspenders and belt method would be to do both a physical journal and a forum thread.
Profile Image
Regarding registering the box: I'd like to point out that the BC powers that be specifically ask that book boxes *not* be registered since they're not books - according to question #57 in the FAQs it's against site policy (this is under "terminology" - "Now tell me about Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes."). Of course, it's really up to the box organizer, and some people do choose to register their book boxes anyway....

I stand corrected. Having seen and received boxes which were registered, I was unaware of this rule. I much prefer the other way, but bow to the BC team rule.

Thanks for the info on the flyers and bookmarks. I'll check my library tonight for 2009/2010 flyers, and I'm definitely going to snag The Hunger Games bookmark. One of my favorite series. I've already added more bookmarks of my own. I'll put a little note in the box to let everyone else know that they're free to take some.
Profile Image
The cost was awful because it was being sent to Canada and weighed so much. I can see that hereafter I'm going to have to do only virtual bookboxes.
Profile Image
Seemed like it took forever! Anyways, thank you very much - Secretariat - I have at least one of your wishlist books, so I am going to send it out to you as a thank you for shipping to Canada.
I will need a couple days to go through the box, make my selections and additions and I should get it off to megami-no-ushi this weekend as we live in the same city.
Profile Image
I took out 5 books and replaced them with 14 books, so I may be upsizing the box a smidge(grin).
We will be holding on to it for a little while though as Secretariat is sending some bookmarks to include that were forgotten. We will post again when the box is in the mail to kplatypus.
Profile Image
I'll probably read and journal some of the books while we wait for the bookmarks to arrive. Thanks again for shipping to Canada!
Profile Image
for the next address as the box is ready to ship again!
Profile Image
Hi all,
My family issues that led me to bow out of boxes for a while have resolved and I am ready to get back into it. Would it be possible to get back on the list for one of the boxes? I'm in Texas. Thanks!
Profile Image
Box arrived this morning. Wow! Bigger than I expected! I'll post a list of books currently in along with what I take/add within the next few days, and PM the next recipient (who appears to be OboeChica).
Profile Image
Yikes! Things got crazy in my home recently, so I am just now getting ready to mail the box. My apologies to all. I am taking out:

Hidden Talents
True Talents
The Door in the Waal

And putting in:

Artemis Fowl
Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident
Charmed Life

I don't have the lovely bookcrossing plates that many of you have placed in the books so mine will have to come naked and book id-less. I'm headed to the post office momentarily so this should be back on its way today.
Profile Image
Looks like the box with kplatypus is the one that started from the top of the list - is that correct? What ever happened with the other one?
Profile Image
I haven't been on in forever and the last time I was I remember messaging the last recipient of the bookbox and I honestly have no idea what happened. I will look into it and see if it can be recovered. Thanks for reminding me!
Profile Image
5 months ago. i'm not sure if it got lost in the mail or what, but i haven't heard from itsapenpalworld.
Profile Image
It doesn't look promising that isapenpalworld is active if s/he ever legitimately was. I hope that's not the case, but they've not registered any books since joining last Aug. Maybe check in with mathgirl40 - she had a set of books that IPPW rquested on the forum that had no other takers.
Profile Image
It doesn't look promising that isapenpalworld is active if s/he ever legitimately was. I hope that's not the case, but they've not registered any books since joining last Aug. Maybe check in with mathgirl40 - she had a set of books that IPPW rquested on the forum that had no other takers.

Sorry, I can't help you with tracking down isapenpalworld. That user did request some books I'd offered, but I never got a reply to a PM I'd sent, so I didn't send the books out after all.
Profile Image
It's been months since I was on once again and I miss BookCrossing dearly. I was wondering what had happened to these bookboxes. It would appear one has gone missing but what happened to the other? Any information on it would be greatly appreciated!
Profile Image
Does anyone have any idea where these boxes are?
Profile Image
It seems it's somewhere between Kplatypus and Oboechica. Maybe PM them both and see if they can shed some light on the situation. It looks unlikely that isapenpalworld will ever pass on the box they got if they even intended to do so in the first place.

Good luck!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.