corner corner I have a bookshelf for my classroom, and a personal one. Would like to start ring for 2nd grade class.

Forum | << Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I have a bookshelf for my classroom, and a personal one. Would like to start ring for 2nd grade class.

My personal shelf is amoenus, but, for this book I would like to use my teacher shelf for my 2nd grade class. It isn't really active yet, but I would like to introduce bookcrossing into the classroom. I would like to send a book out as a ring. Have people journal what they think of it and send it on. We will see the location of where the book has been sent and either read a book about that area (State, City, Country) or if I can't locate one, something by an author from that area. Then we will locate the area on a map, study the city the book is in, and mark our map to see where it has traveled in the world. The class took a vote and the book they want to pass on is "Second-Grade Ape", by Daniel Pinkwater. It is a second grade level reading book published by scholastic. I know a lot of adults may not be overly interested, but the kids really are excited and would like to do this. And an adult could read it quickly. I don't want to do other classrooms for several reasons. One is that stuff gets lost in school mail easily, and the other is that participation would probably be lower, because it would require another teacher to write lesson plans to work the book in. I was hoping for some volunteers?? Please??? It should only take 15-25 minutes to read at the most. Then journal and pass on. And the kids will learn a lot about parts of the world, and the benefits of sharing. Pm me if interested.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
My personal shelf is amoenus, but, for this book I would like to use my teacher shelf for my 2nd grade class. It isn't really active yet, but I would like to introduce bookcrossing into the classroom. I would like to send a book out as a ring. Have people journal what they think of it and send it on. We will see the location of where the book has been sent and either read a book about that area (State, City, Country) or if I can't locate one, something by an author from that area. Then we will locate the area on a map, study the city the book is in, and mark our map to see where it has traveled in the world. The class took a vote and the book they want to pass on is "Second-Grade Ape", by Daniel Pinkwater. It is a second grade level reading book published by scholastic. I know a lot of adults may not be overly interested, but the kids really are excited and would like to do this. And an adult could read it quickly. I don't want to do other classrooms for several reasons. One is that stuff gets lost in school mail easily, and the other is that participation would probably be lower, because it would require another teacher to write lesson plans to work the book in. I was hoping for some volunteers?? Please??? It should only take 15-25 minutes to read at the most. Then journal and pass on. And the kids will learn a lot about parts of the world, and the benefits of sharing. Pm me if interested.
Profile Image
I'm in Italy and will mail anywhere, so let me know if I can participate too.
Profile Image
I'm in New Zealand, and can post to anywhere!
Profile Image
I'm from the Netherlands so the book must travel to Europe.
Profile Image
This will be so great for the kids. I'll mail overseas, if any of you are willing to post back state side, post here or PM and I can set the order. If anyone state side would like to join us it would be fun to add some USA states as well. And, as I said I'll do the international from here.
Profile Image
if it comes to Europe, can easily do the travel back to the USA ;-)
Profile Image
I'll send a PM. Would you like us to send postcards back to your class?
Profile Image
Great idea! They love to write "letters", we have a classroom mailbox and they even write to each other. So, if you put a return address they'll write back.
Profile Image
Thanks everyone!
**edited to remove old order to save space in thread and avoid confusion**
New order now in thread and on my profile page.
Also, if anyone participating want my kids to writet you a postcard or letter post in the journal and Pm your address. If you post your request for them to write you on the journal entry I can put it up on computer on the smartboard and they can see it. They love to write and to draw people pictures.
Profile Image
Thanks everyone, you guys have been so great and my kids are going to learn so much. I mailed the book yesterday and we are going to update our journal to show that today. The kids are so excited. Here is the new(est) mailing order, I've deleted the others on the thread to avoid confusion. The newest is also on my profile page. I added a couple people I somehow missed. If I missed you or you'd like to join us PM me and post here. Thanks!

Hayes13,Rome, Italy **I put in post Nov. 2nd to Hayes13. Away we go!
*Danielle23, Sunderland England
*KiwiinEngland
*Lizzyblack, Italy
*shelj7k, Dublin
*sfogs, New Zealand
*Liberate58, New Zeland
*dutch-book, Netherlands
*Fremmedordbok, Norway
* Hippolein, Finland.
*hakkalina, Hungry
*Sujie, Australia
*glenystasmania, Au
* Brookler, Canada
*Trex3, Canada
*pooker3, Canada, thanks for mailing to USA!
*grubsneerg, Pennsylvania, USA
*timetraveler, New York
*Chubsiewhubsie, Ohio
*bslv1212, OH
*bethieb, KY, USA
* cbostler, Utah, USA
*Evishkigal, Utah
*PaulsBooks, UT
*Whiskeyjane, New Mexico,
*bksfamly, Arizona
*Littlewhitebird, California
*LoriPed, Keizer Oregon
* ITPdx, Oregon
*Wandering-B, Hong Kong
*Tohweiee, China
*JennyC1230< locations?
Profile Image
... I'll join as well.

MrsBurgess, you should look into the Postcrossing project as well (http://www.postcrossing.com) for your class. You'd be sending postcards to and receive postcards from all over the world.
Profile Image
I added you on. when I get home I'll look into that site, thanks for the link.
Profile Image

I will join

Profile Image
added you on, thanks for joining!
Profile Image
and he wants in. Cbostler has a class of 2nd graders that bookcross like pros, never met better kids! Well except for my son! HA!
Profile Image
Added you!
Profile Image
Would prefer to mail only in USA though if that's ok.
Profile Image
We live in california. My daughter is in 3rd grade but we would love to participate. Also could enclose some postcards they might be kind of fun for a bullitin board
Profile Image
I would like to join and I'm in New Zealand.
Profile Image
and thoroughly enjoy sharing books with another second grade class~~ :)
Profile Image
I am in Sunderland England and would prefer EU posting if possible. This is a great idea and I am so pleased so many people are willing to help xx
Profile Image
If you want a bit of Italy, here we go! PMing you! ;)
Profile Image
I'm a library media teacher in Oregon and would love to read your book to my second graders. Please add us.
Profile Image
shipping preferences. Please post here or PM me if you have preferences I either forgot, or somehow missed and I am happy to rearrange. I am waiting for Hayes23 to answer PM with mailing address to start the ring. Thanks eveyone for volunteering to help! What I would like is for people to read it and pass it on within a week or so of getting it, it is only 25 pages long, and only a few sentences to a paragraph per page. The book weighs less than 4 ounces, so shouldn't be expensive to ship. But let me know of any perferences. If anyone still wants to join I'll add people on to the end as we go along. If you signed up and I somehow missed getting you on the list please PM me, I didn't mean to leave anyone off.

Thanks again!

EDITED out mailing list. Update below on thread and on journal page for book.
Profile Image
or not, I'll read it. My children were second graders once, too :) I'm in Hong Kong and ship internationally.
Profile Image
I have a 3rd grade daughter who would love to participate. Sending you a PM.
Profile Image
I read to a class of 4th graders...it would be fun to share this book with them--include me if you are interested in having 3 from Utah!
Profile Image
I'd like to join if possible, live in the Uk will ship UK or Europe. Sending you a PM now.
Profile Image
if you still have room.
I would be willing to be the one to jump the book overseas.
I am not sure if the Beverly Cleary books are 2nd grade reading level, but they would be perfect for the classroom companion book for Portland, Oregon because they are set here.

Profile Image
Like Danielle 23 I´d prefer EU-mail. But I can also send international if necessary
Profile Image
Edit: I take on international shipping.
Profile Image
Sorry! I'll move you to your proper continent!
Profile Image
The book has started the trip and the students have had conversations in the journal entries and the students are really enjoying the experiences. I think this is a link to the journal entries of the book, if it works:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/4170778

I hope no one minds my sharing this. Maybe I should have asked for permission??
Profile Image
Not anymore! So, so sorry!

I added you, thanks :)
Profile Image
I'd be happy to participate. :)
Profile Image
Is this due to shipping?
Profile Image
I'm still listed for Australia, but I'm really in Canada.
Lizzyblack is listed for England, but is really in Italy.
And JennyC1230 is in Georgia, USA.
Profile Image
> I'm still listed for Australia, but I'm
> really in Canada. Lizzyblack is listed
> for England, but is really in Italy. And
> JennyC1230 is in Georgia, USA.

I have you in Canada now, I think you are looking at the old one. The new one is on my profile for the book and my profile page. I'll delete earlier here. Lizzyblack PM'd me England, so I'll contact her, and thanks for JennyC1230 info.
Profile Image
> > I'm still listed for Australia, but I'm
> > really in Canada. Lizzyblack is listed
> > for England, but is really in Italy. And
> > JennyC1230 is in Georgia, USA.
>
> I have you in Canada now, I think you are looking at the
> old one. The new one is on my profile for the book and my
> profile page. I'll delete earlier here. Lizzyblack PM'd me
> England, so I'll contact her, and thanks for JennyC1230
> info.
Ops. I'm sorry I didn't notice it myself! I am in Italy, I checked the PM copy I sent you, I wrote I was in Italy but don't worry, as I know that while listing people we can get into mistakes :) I can stay where I am in the list, if you want, as I have no probs posting to England :) Let me know ;)
Profile Image

> Ops. I'm sorry I didn't notice it myself!
> I am in Italy, I checked the PM copy I
> sent you, I wrote I was in Italy but don't
> worry, as I know that while listing people
> we can get into mistakes: ) I can stay
> where I am in the list, if you want, as I
> have no probs posting to England: ) Let me
> know; )

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anything! Hayes13 has already mailed it to England, I can move you to the bottom of England, and it'll go backto you, in Italy, and you mail to next place. Is that ok? sorry!
Profile Image
> Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anything! Hayes13 has
> already mailed it to England, I can move you to the
> bottom of England, and it'll go backto you, in Italy, and
> you mail to next place. Is that ok? sorry!

Don't worry, it's really not a problem! It's OK for me to be at the bottomo of England :)
Profile Image
the book is with me and I plan to read it tonight.

The children wrote letters to the first participant which are also travelling with the book. They are fun to read, a lot of them seem to concentrate on how pretty the first particiapnt could be which I find rather strange.
Profile Image
> the book is with me and I plan to read it
> tonight. The children wrote letters to
> the first participant which are also
> travelling with the book. They are fun to
> read, a lot of them seem to concentrate on
> how pretty the first particiapnt could be
> which I find rather strange.

I think what they were attempting to comment on was how pretty the picture she put on the journal page was. She had one up that showed intersting things in the city she lived. But, being 7, their modifiers tend to dangle. But, I want them to enjoy writing, so we work on technique slowly throughout the year. They don't know what anyone on the site looks like. I haven't taken them to other people pages, only our journal pages because I don't want to overwhelm them.
Profile Image
> I think what they were attempting to
> comment on was how pretty the picture she
> put on the journal page was. She had one
> up that showed intersting things in the
> city she lived. But, being 7, their
> modifiers tend to dangle.

Ahh - that's interesting to know. Wow - I just checked out the photo and it's great.

I remember when we were being taught how to write a thank you letter when we were that age the teacher gave an example of something and we ALL put it down...not that I'm saying you told them to write she was pretty, just that I recall at seven that if one person wrote something the whole class did.

I thought it was great that they wrote letters and some of the pictures were brilliant.

It was a fun book to read and I hope the kids (and you) get a lot out of the travelling book. It's heading to Italy at the moment.
Profile Image
It is, are you stil able to read journal entries after you post it on? The kids are going to keep responding as we get messages.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.