corner corner Shipping International from USA question

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Shipping International from USA question

Hopefully, this is the right forum to ask this question... if not, sorry.

I've joined a couple of sweepstakes and a bookring and wanted to get some guidance on shipping now rather than waiting until the last moment.

My question: What is the current best method(s) for shipping from the USA to an international destination?
This question primarily pertains to shipping a single book but would also like information on shipping a book box for future reference.

Information on shipping such as:
What type of shipping? (i.e. priority etc.)
What type of packaging is best? (wrapped in brown paper, padded envelope, box, etc.)
And any other information you think is relevant.

Thank you so much!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hopefully, this is the right forum to ask this question... if not, sorry.

I've joined a couple of sweepstakes and a bookring and wanted to get some guidance on shipping now rather than waiting until the last moment.

My question: What is the current best method(s) for shipping from the USA to an international destination?
This question primarily pertains to shipping a single book but would also like information on shipping a book box for future reference.

Information on shipping such as:
What type of shipping? (i.e. priority etc.)
What type of packaging is best? (wrapped in brown paper, padded envelope, box, etc.)
And any other information you think is relevant.

Thank you so much!
Profile Image
Back when m-bags existed, I shipped many huge bags of books overseas, but with US postage rates the way they are now, I cannot afford to do international shipping. I recently tried to send one lone hardcover kid's book overseas and the PO quoted me $49.50. I thought it was a mistake so took the book to another post office in another town. The price was correct and the cheapest shipping method so I could not afford to send it. : (

Hopefully others who are still sending books internationally will be able to be more help to you.
Profile Image
Wow! I knew it was expensive but not that expensive.
I still see some people ship international, so there has to be a cheaper way. *Fingers crossed!*

Thanks for the info!
Profile Image
I recommend the USPS web site ( https://www.usps.com/ ). It has a price-calculator feature that lets you specify source and destination, size and weight of package, etc., and shows you the available shipping options. Note that it saves the cheapest ones for the very end of the list, so don't let all the Priority and Expedited fees scare you too much!

However, it's true that for international mailing from the US, postage is expensive. I think the last time I sent a couple of small paperbacks the cost was around $18 - steep enough that I don't do that very often. But I do like to send books to other countries every once in a while - it's just a matter of budgeting {wry grin}.
Profile Image
Thanks for the info! Yeah, this will have to be a once in awhile type thing for me to do as well. :/

Much sadness. The sweeps seem like a really fun thing to do. Oh, well. I only joined two sweeps and one ring. I'll finish out those then hold off for awhile on doing it again.
Profile Image
I'll finish out those then hold off for awhile on doing it again.

Or find some that don't involve international shipping, if you really enjoy doing them.
Profile Image
Thanks for the info! Yeah, this will have to be a once in awhile type thing for me to do as well. :/

Much sadness. The sweeps seem like a really fun thing to do. Oh, well. I only joined two sweeps and one ring. I'll finish out those then hold off for awhile on doing it again.

I only join international sweeps occasionally, mainly to help out when one doesn't have too many entrants, but when I do, if an overseas member wins, I purchase a book from Better World Books for less than $4 with free international shipping, register it & add the BCID to the packing slip as a note. This works well for me. Though it doesn't reduce my mountain of books, it does allow me to take part in the sweeps.

Hope this helps.

Profile Image
with free international shipping,

What a good idea!!! I'll have to remember that.
Profile Image
I only join international sweeps occasionally, mainly to help out when one doesn't have too many entrants, but when I do, if an overseas member wins, I purchase a book from Better World Books for less than $4 with free international shipping, register it & add the BCID to the packing slip as a note. This works well for me. Though it doesn't reduce my mountain of books, it does allow me to take part in the sweeps.

That is an awesome idea! I will definitely keep that in mind and check out the site.

Or find some that don't involve international shipping, if you really enjoy doing them.

I'll keep an eye out for some of those...haven't seen any yet...could start one at some point...hmmmmmmm
Profile Image

I'll keep an eye out for some of those...haven't seen any yet...could start one at some point...hmmmmmmm

I guess I was thinking of Bookrings, Bookrays, and Bookboxes http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/20 , not sweepstakes. I don't go to that forum often, but when I do, I see a lot that say US only, or UK only, or open to Europe, or International.
Profile Image

Trying BWB

Sent one of them a book using Better World Books... after iwillrejoice and a few local BCers endorsement I went ahead and tried it out. Crosses fingers!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!
Profile Image
Just wanted to say that it will take 3+ weeks to arrive, so don't worry if it seems long. It'll get there.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.