corner corner Stamper vs. Labels

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Stamper vs. Labels

Call me slow, but it just now occurred to me that we could potentially use a stamp to mark a Bookcrossing book rather than labels/bookplates. I am ALWAYS running out of labels, but if I had designed a stamper all those years ago, I wouldn't run into the same situation.

I remember Bookcrossing used to have the small stamp (I think it just said Bookcrossing.com.), but I was looking at the larger stamps people use for their little libraries and envisioned it more as a bookplate replacement than an additional marking.
https://img0.etsystatic.com/---/il_340x270.631337278_1z9c.jpg

Has anyone tried a stamp with a handwritten BCID? Did you like it? Or do you prefer book plates/labels?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Call me slow, but it just now occurred to me that we could potentially use a stamp to mark a Bookcrossing book rather than labels/bookplates. I am ALWAYS running out of labels, but if I had designed a stamper all those years ago, I wouldn't run into the same situation.

I remember Bookcrossing used to have the small stamp (I think it just said Bookcrossing.com.), but I was looking at the larger stamps people use for their little libraries and envisioned it more as a bookplate replacement than an additional marking.
https://img0.etsystatic.com/---/il_340x270.631337278_1z9c.jpg

Has anyone tried a stamp with a handwritten BCID? Did you like it? Or do you prefer book plates/labels?
Profile Image
I use stamps *and* labels, and have for years now. It would certainly be possible to use stamps alone, hand-writing the BCID; not quite as colorful as a bookplate label, but easier than hand-writing the entire release information.

The Supply Store did stock stamps once upon a time. One variety included Ballycumber and the basic text from the free-download labels - no explicit "BCID:" caption, but easy enough to add a BCID beneath it.

Another stamp was designed by the BCinDC folks for the Washington DC convention; they gave 'em out in the welcome bags, and very nice they are. They have a very simple caption, just the site URL, "visit this book's online journal", and "BCID:", and are small enough to use even on crowded title-pages. (I mainly use mine to stamp the book's *last* page, or the first page of the index for non-fiction, as a reminder to the reader to journal the book if they didn't do it before they read it. I hand-write the BCID beneath the stamp.)

I've made my own stamp, too, one that I use on title-pages; it's a standard office-supply-store customizable stamp, three lines of text, and I managed to squeeze in the site URL plus "Where's this book been?" and "Read, Enjoy, Release!" Again, I write the BCID beneath it.

*And* there's a plain old rubber stamp, circular, with Ballycumber in the middle and the site URL around the edge - that one doesn't come with a built-in inkpad the way the others do. I have one of those, too, but don't use it as often as the rest - but it might make a nice alternative to a sticker for use on the outside covers of books. Hmmm, maybe I'll dig it out and experiment with it - though it wouldn't show up on dark covers, and might not stick well to glossy ones. Worth a shot!

I use bookplates - the free-download ones as well as the supply-store ones - on the inside front covers of my books, as they contain more info than most of the stamps and are a bit more eye-catching. But one could use markers to hand-color parts of a stamped design - a quick yellow dab inside the body of a Ballycumber might be enough to draw the eye.
Profile Image
The trouble with ink stamps is that they would be a one off source of income for BC. The labels are a continuing source of money, and money helps keep BC going. As does membership of course.
Profile Image
I used to have a stamp but wasn't very good at stamping so it came out even. Part was always too light to read. But that was just me.

I would worry about the ink running though, if it got damp. The only way I'd use one is if I put clear packing tape over the page to protect it. (But I do that on all my labels too.)
Profile Image
Thanks all. It sounds like I might just carry on with the labels then.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.