corner corner Do you write a note on your BC books?

Forum | << Release Techniques | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Do you write a note on your BC books?

In general I like my books as "clean" as possible, I am not one of those person's who make notes on the pages or underline phrases etc...
But talking abour BC books, especially those going on wild-releasing, I tend to write a note somewhere about what BC is about, how it works etc. I could of course tuck an A4 page with all the info inside the book, but this can get easily lost, so I prefer to write on a page on the book instead.
I label front and back cover too and stick a little BC sign or two on the spine/or the front of the book. I think that a more detailed note on what BC is about might tempt people to check BC more than just the label, but maybe I am wrong. I have seen a journal entry somewhere on the past where the guy who found a BC book wrote that the book had too much clutter.. handwritten notes of "BookCrossing.com BCID:...." every few pages and too many stickers and the like. I think this would be a bit much, making the book uninviting, but I think that leaving the pages with the book text clean and writting BC info on blank pages in front while labeling front and back cover should not be too much?
I am new-ish here and I received a few books through RABCKs etc and I noticed there was just the one label in front on the books I received and that was it.

I guess there is no one rule on how to go on this, but I would still like to hear your opinions?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
In general I like my books as "clean" as possible, I am not one of those person's who make notes on the pages or underline phrases etc...
But talking abour BC books, especially those going on wild-releasing, I tend to write a note somewhere about what BC is about, how it works etc. I could of course tuck an A4 page with all the info inside the book, but this can get easily lost, so I prefer to write on a page on the book instead.
I label front and back cover too and stick a little BC sign or two on the spine/or the front of the book. I think that a more detailed note on what BC is about might tempt people to check BC more than just the label, but maybe I am wrong. I have seen a journal entry somewhere on the past where the guy who found a BC book wrote that the book had too much clutter.. handwritten notes of "BookCrossing.com BCID:...." every few pages and too many stickers and the like. I think this would be a bit much, making the book uninviting, but I think that leaving the pages with the book text clean and writting BC info on blank pages in front while labeling front and back cover should not be too much?
I am new-ish here and I received a few books through RABCKs etc and I noticed there was just the one label in front on the books I received and that was it.

I guess there is no one rule on how to go on this, but I would still like to hear your opinions?
Profile Image
No notes. All of mine are labeled in 3 or 4 places. I put the BCID label or Supply Store bookplate inside the front cover. In a hardcover book, I usually put the BCID at the back of the book too. And one of the Supply Store Tiny Stickers on every spine. Always covered with clear packing tape because otherwise they are apt to pop off. And some sort of label on the front. I use either one of the colorful ones from the Supply Store or one I print myself, depending on what will fit without covering up essential information on the front cover. Actually I usually cover all of the labels with clear packing tape to protect them and make them harder to pull off.

But how the books are "dressed" varies from person to person quite a bit. There are many ways to label them. The above description has become my standard version.
Profile Image
I was thinking that hand-writing a note might feel a bit more relaxed and personal...someone might get a bit suspicious seen a computerized label/note asking him/her to check a website.
I know that quite likely I would think that this is a commercial promotion thing or a scam. I haven't done as many wild releases as I'd like right now, so don't have any statistics, just guessing here : )

An other thing I am worried about is that stickers and labels might easily be torn sometime in the future, hand-writting on the book not, unless someone torns the whole page.
Profile Image

RE: Mainly,

I was thinking that hand-writing a note might feel a bit more relaxed and personal...someone might get a bit suspicious seen a computerized label/note asking him/her to check a website.

Seems there's a good chance that this would work for some people; there's no telling how many. But it sounds like a fun experiment to try it out.
Profile Image
Exactly the right word, experimenting here : )
Profile Image

That's funny. I thought just the opposite. That a hand-written note looks unofficial and maybe skethcy, and that a printed one makes it look like the website is real and official.

It's good that we can all do BookCrossing our own way. : )
Profile Image

Kind of...

I used to write a little note, but it has gotten shorter and shorter. Now usually just one sentence with the BCID on the last page. I always hoped a finder would tell me if it helped or not, but no luck.
Profile Image
For the time been, I try to find some spare time and I write a quite extended note, explaining what BC is about and how it works and I always make a point to clarify that one can write a journal entry remaining completely anonymous if they so wish. I think this might encourrage people to at least check the site and maybe write a journal entry and maybe later join in... For the time been I haven't make so many wild releases, but I prepare many books for this purpose, I have some plans for January when I'll hopefully visit a couple of larger places with *what I think are* many nice release spots...
Profile Image
In the early days of BC, before official release supplies were offered by the Supply Store, I used to hand-write all info about BC, using different wording as I thought of something. I would put office-supply Post-It notes on the covers with Free Book! Please Take! written on them. I got a decent number of catches from those old releases, so I would give your hand-written notes a try and see if they appeal to people in your area. You never know what may work till you try it.
Profile Image
Thank you, I put official or self-made labels too in addition to the note. And I recently bought some of the official post-its although I haven't try those yet, up to now it was some self-made post- it or a piece of paper sticking out of the book saying something like "Free Book! Check Inside!".
Profile Image

Sott

I use the stamp front and back, bc label, and a pist it on the outside stating, "I'm not lost, I'm free! Take me, read me, release me!"
Profile Image

HaHa!

I tend to still write a hand note message but also use a label inside the front cover and often inside the back cover too. I put one or two of the small BC stickers on the spine and/or front cover and I recently released a few books in the wild while on a quick trip in Athens. I realised that while I kept reminding myself prior to the trip to take some essential BC supplies with me, I forgot most of my release bags and the official post-its back home. How silly is that? Then of course, most BC release stuff is in English while most books released on outside areas were Greek, so I think my home made post-its and bags were fine after all. I released some English books in a hostel indoors so... Let's wait and see.
No catch up to now, but you never know...
Profile Image

RE: HaHa!

I forgot most of my release bags and the official post-its back home.

I always forget post its, but I find that home made sleeves from hotel note paper or receipts work really well!

Profile Image
Although I haven't been able to release abook, I carry a BC book with me everywhere just in case I find a spot to release it. I made the mistake of not doing so this weekend and missed out on a bunch of great release spots :( !

I usually label the books I plan on releasing in 2 places ( the book's endpapers and the title page) and place a Post-It on the cover that reads, " I'M NOT LOST! I am a traveling book. Please check my inside cover for more details. Thanks!". I also bring along a Ziploc bag another Post-It that says the same thing that the one on the cover of the book does to put the book in if I find an outdoor release spot.
Profile Image
I carry a BC book with me everywhere just in case I find a spot to release it

You're making to much of this. Just do it :-)
Profile Image
I see a place I want to release a book and I walk up and leave it there. I don't worry about who sees me do this and often I have spectators watching me release the book. I take a release photograph for the log and then walk away. Sometimes though, some of those spectators ask about the book and then I explain BC. Some have then taken the book, promising to log it, but unfortunately, sigh, not all do.
Profile Image
That's interesting goldenwattle, you must've been doing this a while! It's all still quite new to me so I end up checking no one is around before I leave a book and then rush off quick before I get challenged! I think I need to chill out a bit! lol
I'd really like to start adding photos to my release notes. Is that easy or do I need photobucket or similar?
Profile Image
That's interesting goldenwattle, you must've been doing this a while! It's all still quite new to me so I end up checking no one is around before I leave a book and then rush off quick before I get challenged! I think I need to chill out a bit! lol
I'd really like to start adding photos to my release notes. Is that easy or do I need photobucket or similar?

Since 2009. I was a bit shy at first, but I quickly got over that :)
Profile Image

It's quite simple, and does not require Photobucket - unless you want to add more than one photo to the same journal entry. There's a link for "upload journal picture" on the journal-entry and release-note pages, and if you click on that it'll prompt you for the location of the photo. There are some limits as to format - I stick with JPEGs - and possibly size, though the site does do some resizing itself. Go for it!
Profile Image
Thanks! I'll give it a whirl next time I release a book. There are some lovely location photos that I've seen on release notes so I'll try and find something picturesque near me.
Profile Image
Yeah, I've found that there are two good ways to release books:
- make sure no one sees you (this is not always possible)
- make sure people see you and realise you are not forgetting your book but leaving it intentionally.

I generally place it somewhere and then step back, look at it, nod and walk away. No one thinks I'm losing my book; they may think I'm losing my marbles... see if I care! :-)
Profile Image
I admit been a bit shy so I prefer quiet places but I have books released in very crowded places too. In that case, if you feel uncomfortable, the easiest way to block people out/avoid contact is what everyone does unintentionally nowadays. Talk on your mobile phone or send a message or similar or pretend you do so while releasing the book. Usually no one will interrupt you lol
Profile Image
if you feel uncomfortable, the easiest way to block people out/avoid contact is what everyone does unintentionally nowadays.

If some one is there I just say:" I'm leaving this book here".
People don't even look up from their phones .

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.